4.0 out of 5 stars 52 recipes, arranged by season -- lots of purees
Published on February 28, 2009 by Carol C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - seems to be recipes for more experienced cooks
I was looking for a soup cookbook that I could actually apply to my life. I won't be making any of the soups in this book. They seem to be targeted at people who have lots of experience with many different ingredients and types of cooking. I realize she has a background in French cooking, but I still hoped these would be doable.

I got this from my library...
Published 18 months ago by Chris

4.0 out of 5 stars 52 recipes, arranged by season -- lots of purees, February 28, 2009
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sunday Soup: A Year's Worth of Mouth-Watering, Easy-to-Make Recipes (Paperback)
Charming little book with a years' worth of soup recipes, arranged by season -- the "Soup Calendar." If you're looking to make something besides your usual chicken noodle soup or chili, this is a good starting point for ideas and inspiration. Some of the soups may be a little sophisticated for children, but for the most part, the recipes aren't complicated nor do they use hard-to-find ingredients.

Some cookbooks are fun to look at, but less appealing once I start surveying the ingredients list and preparation requirements. Not this one. The author doesn't insist on home-made stock or fresh herbs. Although the author includes several home-made stock recipes, she acknowledges the value and quality of store-purchased stockes, and lists Swansons and College Inn as some of her favorites. She recommends easy-to-find items, like McCormick spices, rather than sending you off to hunt down unpronounceable ingredients in an ethnic market.

The recipes are very good and for the most part, not too complicated. There are many purees, and there are quite a few chunky soups shown with thick shavings of parmesan across the top. There's something for everyone in here -- Basic Beef & Barley and other meat-based soups. Thick, creamy purees are the ultimate comfort food in my book, so I particularly like the fall soups featuring root vegetables. Some of my favorites are:

Fall:
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Cider Cream
Creamy Stilton Soup with Sauteed Pears
Sweet Potato Soup with Orange Creme Fraiche

Spring:
Heavenly Asparagus Soup wwith Tarragon Cream
Carrot Soup Scented with Sesame and Chicken
Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Walnuts and Rosemary,

Not everyone will like every recipe in this book -- but most folks can find some things appealing, and plenty of inspiration otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novice soup maker creates yummy soup, January 26, 2009
Brian Sleman (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I am a novice soup maker, but with the Sunday Soup recipes I have created two of the tastiest soups I have ever had, (Cauliflower w/Crispy Prosciutto and Tomato & Fennel). I can't wait to serve the Tomato & Fennel at my next dinner party. The soups are categorized by seasons, which makes for easy shopping, and optimal tastiness. I do recommend owning an immersion blender for the recipes; I picked up the affordable Cuisinart SmartStick, and it works like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we need...slurpy homemade yummy soups..., October 14, 2008
PattyLouise "Patty" (The lovely East Coast!) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a fantastic book about soup...simple soup suppers to make on a Sunday...the soups are elegant enough to serve to friends and hearty and simple enough to make you want to make them...what I truly love about this book is the additions...what to serve with your soup be it salad, bread or wine...

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Food Worth the Effort, January 17, 2009
While most of the recipes look interesting and delicious, I have made only two: Sweet Potato Soup with Orange Creme Fraiche and Gorgonzola Sandwiches with Apples and Pecans. The soup was thick and rich with the Orange Creme Fraiche as a luxurious complement. The sandwiches were good when made with the Granny Smith apples, but even better (I thought) when I used Bosc pears instead.

A friend made the the White Chili with Chicken and it was perfect for our winter weather. The chili was spicy enough to have a kick but not 'hot' enough to make my eyes water

The directions are thoughtful, clear and detailed, even a novice soup maker like me can follow them confidently. Three alternatives for soup stock allows the cook to be realistic about the amount of time and effort she/he is willing or able to invest. The comparison between sweet potatoes and red sweet potatoes (sometimes called yams) was very helpful. There are even directions to make your own Creme Fraiche. Finally, the recipes, especially for go-with salads, breads, and sandwiches, allow for individual adjustments and taste.

I have one quibble with the cookbook: the time of preparation indicated. It took me all morning to cut up the vegetables required for the Sweet Potato Soup and then the afternoon to roast the potatoes, assemble the soup and cook it. If I had had a sous chef to do the preparation, perhaps I could have done it in the 20 minute prep time and one hour start-to-finish time indicated.

Overall, Sunday Soup is a wonderful collection of familiar and fresh recipes for delicious soups and salads, breads, and sandwiches to go with them. I intend to continue making them throughout the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicous, easy, wonderful collection recipes, March 1, 2010
S. Phillips (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I received this book as a Christmas gift and after trying the first "winter" soup, have been going back to this book every weekend for a new wonderful recipe to try. These soups are absolutely delicious! It's certainly not a reference book--don't buy this if you're looking for a book to have on hand to be able to tell you how to make basic chili, or chicken noodle soup--but it is a great place for ideas, both for the experienced cook and the not-so-experienced one.

Pros:
* Attention to detail--the author has notes about where to find less common ingredients, exactly which parts of the vegetables to use, and ways to add or remove ingredients or spices
* Great organization. Not sure what to try? Just pick the current season and look at the soup calendar.
* Variety. Some meat and potato soups, some chowders, stews, creamy soups, chunky soups, vegetables, whole-meal, traditional, exotic, etc.
* Accurate serving size predictions and time-to-make estimates.
* Beautiful pictures.
* Recipes are not too difficult, but not too basic.
* Delicious. I was skeptical on a couple that didn't include very many spices or seasonings, but mmmm. I would never have thought I would like something called celery bisque, but it was gobbled up faster than I could ladle out bowls in my house.
* Includes ideas for bread to serve with it, and other serving additions.
* Includes tips about preparation, and how much of the recipe you can make ahead.
* Doesn't demand home-made stocks or broths, but does give recipes on how to use these if you have the time and energy.
* Relatively healthy. I was surprised how few recipes called for cream as a thickener. The author makes good use of pureed vegetables to thicken creamy soups, and other ways to make the soups delicious without packing on the fat and calories.

Cons:
* A lot of fennel. The author clearly loves it, and has several recipes that feature fennel not just as a flavor adder but as a main ingredient. Had to skip these. (This would not be a con if you were a fennel lover though!)
* Different recipes make vastly different quantities--some recipes I had to double just to feed 6 people, others I ended up with a giant pot of soup that, while delicious, was still hard to go through before it went bad. Just pay attention to the "servings" label and you should be fine.

Overall: highly recommended. My most-used cookbook now by far (and I have a LOT), and I have already bought several copies for friends. If you like to make soup, BUY THIS BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYDAY Soup!--not just for Sundays!, December 9, 2008
Sunday Soup: A Year's Worth of Mouth-Watering, Easy-to-Make Recipes

This is a fantastic book! It is full of recipes that can serve as an entire meal, or can be the first course to a multi-course dinner. I came home from work today at 6 PM and made the Tortilla Soup in no time. I have made many of the recipes in this book and have never been disappointed. Be sure to try the Stilton Soup with Sauteed Pears and the Celery Bisque with Stilton toasts; your guests will be amazed. The "Cool Nights" Chili with Chicken, Corn and Chipotles feeds an army and is so flavorful. You can always count on Betty Rosbottom's recipes to be foolproof: her directions are unusually clear and the notes are always helpful. This book also makes a wonderful gift for just about anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sunday Soup" by Betty Rosbottom, December 10, 2008
"Sunday Soup" is another "Mouthwatering" cookbook by Betty Rosbottom. Betty does a superb job by giving the reader so many wonderful recipes that you can use for entertaining or family dinners. Betty's directions are so well written that you know exactly what to do. The cookbook is very well organized according to each Season and she gives you a step by step process that is very easy to follow. She also has included wonderful accompaniments that go very well with her soups. I love the way Betty has organized her recipes by giving information on how many servings, prep time and sides that go well with her soups. She also has beautiful photographs of many of the soups in her cookbook. I always enjoy Betty's cookbooks because she is so decriptive in her writing and explains the directions so well that even the novice cook would not have any trouble making her recipes. I highly recommend "Sunday Soup"--it is a wonderful cookbook that you will enjoy througout the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Used to be Leery of Home Made Soup, March 8, 2010
I have never liked home made soup, but a friend persuaded me that Fall is the perfect season to celebrate with soup.
So last Fall, 2009, I bought this book because of the pictures and the Scallop and Corn Chowder recipe I had seen when glancing through. So far I have made 8 of the soups. All were delicious except for the chicken chili where I misread the recipe and added 3 cans of chilies. (I don't normally cook with canned chilies) We still ate our entire bowls of soup. Tasty, but way too hot. The sour cream made the heat tolerable. The scallop, corn chowder was delicious. The tomato fennel was worthy of a party and cured a friend of her cold (I had never cooked with fennel before), the roasted tomato opened a game dinner (but I added tomato puree for more tomato flavor), the mushroom melange was perfect once I added a little sherry, the the paella was more than very good, the French lentil was stick to your ribs, the tomato dill was really helped by the white cheddar and I still have 14 of the fall and winter ones I want to try. For once in my life I may actually pray for cool rainy weather. But I could embrace the spring and summer soups once the weather heats up. So I can no longer say I don't like home made soup, this cookbook converted me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have "Sunday Soup" in their kitchen, March 1, 2009
Yes, you might find my experience with the Sunday Soup book interesting.
I am the proud grandmother to two mature, married, 30 year old, grandchildren. Grand daughter lives in Seattle, WA., Grand son lives in
Memphis, TN.
I purchased the Sunday Soup book for my grand daughter for Christmas. I soon learned she was e-mailing recipes from her kitchen in Seattle to her brother in Memphis. She found so many really good soup recipes she had to share them.
It was then I realized the need. Everyone should have a copy of "Sunday Soup" in their kitchen. I ordered two more, one to be sent to my grandson and his wife in Memphis and of course I knew I would have to have one in my kitchen. Yes, I have purchased three Sunday Soup books within a two month period.
I think everyone should have a copy in their kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper, November 26, 2009
Lillyspence (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Let me say right here at the beginning that I have made only one soup from this cookbook. The recipe is Apple Soup with Crumbled Roquefort and Bacon. It is perfectly balanced, with the pureed soup being light and mildly sweet, and the garnish taking you to new heights of flavor (crumbled Stilton, butter, and bacon). If I find no other recipe in this cookbook as good as this one, I will feel the cost of the book was worth it. It is exquisite. So many soup cookbooks seem to have similar recipes to each other with minor changes in directions. This one seems different. I'm going to try Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Prosciutto and Parmesan next, or what about Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Walnuts and Rosemary! If you want the same old same old, this is not the cookbook for you. If your family uses Progresso as the gold standard, this is not the cookbook for you. If you are willing to try some new flavor pairings and go off the beaten path, you will love this cookbook. As others have said, the soups do take more time to prepare than the author suggests, but I'm guessing that is due to our not being professional chefs. There is a lot of love in this book and I can't wait to try my next recipe.

Sunday Soup: A Year's Worth of Mouth-Watering, Easy-to-Make Recipes
Sunday Soup: A Year's Worth of Mouth-Watering, Easy-to-Make Recipes by Betty Rosbottom (Paperback - September 1, 2008)
$24.95 $17.89