5.0 out of 5 stars Great romance novel
Published on September 3, 2011 by Lil-momma

1.0 out of 5 stars Yep. I saw that coming, too.
Oh man, thank goodness it was short.

Sundered is possibly the most predictable book I've ever read. From the outset, I was left utterly unsurprised and disappointed by this fiasco.

Published on February 11, 2012 by L. Buck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great romance novel, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! I'm a big fan of Romance novels so after a while, the books are a little repetitive. Sundered is very different from what I usually read. The book really centered around the heroine, a strong protagonist who doesn't wait around to be saved by the male character. It has the element of surprise, and cliff hanger that leaves you craving for more! Book is excellently written!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read! Can't wait to read them all!, October 9, 2011
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I've always been into paranormal romance novels, but never really the zombie types. Shannon Mayer has changed this for me. Sundered was absolutely phenomenal. I couldn't get enough of it. When I finished the last page I was left slack jawed and desperately craving more of this well-written story. The anticipation was pure torture, I just had to know what happened next. The teaser for book two, Bound, only increased that torture.

The main character, Mara, was very believable. Her compassion for her husband, especially toward the end, was so touching. In all honesty, I'm usually the type that figures out what the author is up to before anything actually happens in the story. I'm happy to say that that wasn't the case this time! I was completely blindsided by events in this story. Even now, I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm looking forward to starting book two in the trilogy. I know it will be just as good. I'd expect nothing less from this author! HIGHLY recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Yep. I saw that coming, too., February 11, 2012
L. Buck "Rabs" (Boyertown, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Oh man, thank goodness it was short.

Sometime in the future, a miracle drug is created. And that drug turns people into ... almost!zombies. It's very important that these are almost!zombies instead of actually!zombies so there can be some softcore zombie/human action later on in the book and no one feels too squicked out about it. Oh my.

From the utterly unsexy sex scenes (really, are we going to have one while we're covered in hives? I'm so turned on right now), to the idiocy of the main characters, to the blatantly transparent prose, Sundered is possibly the worst book I've read in a long time.

Yes, I finished it. I spent the whole book waiting for our main character to grow a pair. But she doesn't. Mara's main existence in the book seems to be to stand around and angst about everything.

I do give the book one thing - the concept it had here was really strong. The not!zombies were a neat spin on the classic tale. Their description almost beautiful in a weird and creepy way.

But seriously. Even the 'hey that's pretty neat' concept couldn't stop me from being right about every single 'plot twist' in this shallow, navel-inspecting book.

So not interested in the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey- I want that drug!, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
But after the bugs are worked out...hheehheeh... don't really want the side effects in this story! :)

I planned on just reading a little of it tonight, but found myself having to finish the whole thing. Unexpectedly creepy but fascinating at the same time - I'm definitely hooked and want to see what happens. Well written and keeps your attention, an entertaining read!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want a new drug, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Sundered poses the ultimate, irresistible high concept hook-- what if there was a drug that could cure of all of your ills and take off twenty pounds of unwanted body fat while you gorged yourself silly eating as much of whatever you desired? In this age of instant gratification, where hucksters and snake oil salesman bark nonstop pitching the latest miracle diet supplement scam and every other ad on television is for an erection drug or a plastic surgeon, the book's concept is more timely than ever. The fictional drug in Sundered is called Nevermore and given its health transforming, beauty enhancing properties, it is highly believable that Nevermore would instantly become the must have rage across all of North America.

Of course, usually when something sounds too good to be true, it is. Like all drugs Nevermore has a side effect. A side effect that sets off a set piece of exciting suspense sequences that will keep you turning the page.

Author Shannon Mayer opens Sundered with the careful attention to detail and character one would expect in a work of literature. The sense of place and character is economically established and the reader is immediately drawn into the Canadian country side setting and emotionally connects to the main character Mara. The character is challenged and tested as she is pushed to the limit by the events in the story, and the reader learns much about her throughout the adventure. There is a terrific mountain man character by the name of Dan who steals every scene he is in. A great character who I imagined being played by Tommy Lee Jones

Although Sundered may start out like an artful piece of woman's fiction, it deftly shifts gears into George Romero meets Richard Matheson with a touch of Resident Evil. Sundered is a fantastic start for Shannon Mayer's Nevermore "Zombie-ish" series and is recommended reading for anyone who enjoys supernatural romance, horror fiction, or is a fan of The Walking Dead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Left wanting but addicted!, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book not knowing it was a novella, nor a self-published work. I definitely reads as a professionally edited novel, yet way too short for my taste.

Having said all that...I was hooked. I finished reading the novella in four hours and immediately bought the second one. It would have received four stars had the protag been a little more likable (she gets better in the next two, so definitely give the series a chance), and hadn't ended so abruptly!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Than I Expected!, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Of course, to be fair, I wasn't sure exactly what I expected. The term "paranormal romance" doesn't really mean much to me anymore - it seems to apply to just about everything these days. I think I got a sense of what the author intended here, though. It's less bodice-ripper (though there are a few, tame, lovemaking scenes) and more about the emotional connection between a husband and wife.
You know what? I'm cool with that, even though romance is hardly my genre of choice. Emotional connections are important to fiction, and Ms. Mayer weaves a relationship that's realistic and believable. Not once did I experience the eye-rolling reflex that I tend to encounter with love stories. The characters are for the most part likable and believable, right down to the crazy survivalist, though one character in an early clinic scene felt a little unreal.

Pacing is well-executed. At no point did I wish for the story to just get on with it, and Ms. Mayer narrows down her scene choices to only those scenes that truly matter, sometimes skipping weeks at a time, as necessary.

The plot itself is an interesting twist on the by-now very tired zombie apocalypse story; it manages to feel familiar and yet fresh at the same time, which is not an easy feat, and kept me reading straight through to the end.

I had to knock a star off, unfortunately, for a few stylistic and grammatical issues, along with a few typos that probably should have been caught in the editing process. I'm willing to forgive that for the most part, however, as it's a first-time novel.

Still, all-in-all, I recommend this book. Definitely worth the price of admission, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but no., October 26, 2012
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
The Walking Dead this is definitely not. While I agree with other reviewers that this self-published book is blissfully free from excessive typos, simply being mostly grammatically correct does not a good story make. I did not find the characters engaging or "real" in a way that made me feel like I was dying to know what was going to happen next. Actually, I found the female lead rather annoying. And eeergh. . . zombie sex? Really? We need that? I thought the vampire and werewolf sex was bad enough, but apparently we have not yet hit rock bottom on what kind of monsters we are willing to fool around with. Please, can I get some quality books where vampires rightly get staked and zombies get headshots, not canned goods and nookie?

1.0 out of 5 stars Mills and Boon meets Zombies-ish, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
So, I don't know how I missed this was a romance, but I did. In my defense this is classified as horror/fantasy here on amazon with no romance reference and I didn't pick up the romance from the reviews I read. True Zombie genre fans beware, this is nothing but a romance novella with a mere scattering of 28 days later style Zombies (Nevermores) thrown in to heighten the ridiculous romance and add the typical foil in an atypical way.

Story-wise, the "protagonist" is stupid, selfish and vain, her husband barely better. The "doctor" seems to have gained his credentials via a cereal box, or perhaps off the back page of a Mills and Boon book. The story abounds with references to weightloss in the most ridiculous circumstances, one character merely a few kilos overweight "waddling" because of it - typical female self hatred making it clear the author has body image issues.

The small Nevermore interludes are even more ridiculous and completely unbelievable. The author contradicts herself with the "human becoming like pack animals (akin to wolves)" vs. typical Zombie with no motor skills. This Nevermore combination does not compute. They seem to have been dumbed down just enough to make the story sort of work if you've never had any contact with the Zombie genre.

After ploughing on through endless pages of gibbering descriptions of self loathing and fertility issues I ended up skipping the majority of the book, reading just enough to keep up with the story (and there's really only about 5 pages worth of actual story here). Granted a lot of this review is skewed by personal taste (I expected horror and fantasy, not romance after all) and if you like romance then you will probably like this; everyone else don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not usually a zombie fan, but..., December 11, 2011
This review is from: Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a zombie fan, but I am a fan of well written stories with a tight plot, engaging characters and interesting settings. "Sundered" has it all. My heart ached for these characters and the hard decisions they had to make to survive. I may have to declare myself a horror fan after all. Hmm... is horror/romance a genre? If not, it should be!

Rate and Discover Movies