Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sunflower Houses: Garden Discoveries for Children of All Ages
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on August 19, 2002
Someone gave me this book when it first came out in 1991. My first sunflower house failed but I tried again and was rewarded with a delightful garden retreat. I had no idea flowers could be so high -- and so sturdy. Then I tried the flower clock and that was an immense success. The rainbow garden worked, too, and by that time I was running out of space. I've never considered myself much of a gardener; certainly everything I try to grow indoors curls up its leaves in abject rejection and withers away! But the projects here worked for me.
This little book is great reading, too. I didn't want to try the Giant's Garden but it sure was fun reading about it. Imagine the largest tomato -- a 6 lbs 8 oz "Delicious" -- or a pumpkin big enough to ride in. The "Cinderella" pumpkin has reached 500 lbs. "Some people pick off all but one ear of corn or one pumpkin," Lovejoy writes, "in order to allow all the growth to go to one, special vegetable."
She has a good word for bugs,"Hosting a healthy population of these friendly critters can make your garden a thriving, pest-free environment."
Plant a kinder-garden, she suggests, and lists plants whose names match each letter: A for aster, B for bachelor's buttons, C for cockscomb, D for daisy......all the way to Z for zinnia.
There's a garden of greens and a butterfly garden and there are faeries and sand castles and even secret notes to be found. In all I'd say this is a book for anyone who's willing to let go a little and enjoy the outdoors in new and luscious ways.
on June 10, 1999
im only 14 yrs old, and emediatly fell in love with this book when i began to read my little sisters teachers copy. i love the ideas about the playhouse made from sunflowers (which i am allowed to make next spring) and the notes about fairies and the flowers. i believe in fairies and im going to buy some of the flowers they say fairies use for hats and plates etc. for my ever growing fairies house. i love flowers and a wild garden with exotic colours and feelings. i garden is the key to happiness and tranquility. this is a marvelous book that anyone could learn to love and cherish forever and ever. thank you.
on January 27, 1998
Let me be upfront about this. I hate to garden. I hate the dirt. Bugs. And my uncanny ability to kill plants. A friend gave me Lovejoy's "Sunflower Houses" and I found myself transformed. I couldn't wait to go out to the garden. It is truly an inspiration to the gardener...and child in all of us. The artwork is delightful, and the writing magical. It's the closest thing to finding a Spring day in prose...
on January 4, 1998
Around February, I start to get the itch for flowers...and that usually means that it is time for me to read, for the first time in the new year, SUNFLOWER HOUSES. This book never fails to pacify me while I look at seed catalogs and plot out our small suburban yard for the next spring, summer and fall...with flowers and bushes and vegetables. I am always filled with whimsie and peace by the ideas and suggestions that this "not so typical" gardening book provides...and it helps me convey my love for the garden and all it brings to my 3 small children. ---And I can hardly wait until they are old enough to read it with me each February...March...April and May...
on May 3, 2013
This book has many small projects for which instructions and illustrations are given. A delightful book. Reading it with a child would really facilitate creativity.
on August 22, 2015
have bought several copies. great book if you have little ones around.
on July 6, 2014