5.0 out of 5 stars Performs Exactly as Expected
Published 20 months ago by Hasan al-Basri

UPDATE 8-2014......................OK, after a year with these chargers, they have completely killed 2 batteries before I discovered why..... they put out 24 volts...not 12 !!!

DO NOT BUY THESE FOR CHARGING 12 VOLT BATTERIES.....24 VOLTS EVEN AT 5 WATTS IS TOO MUCH OVER TIME !!! I WASTED MY MONEY + TWO EXPENSIVE BATTERIES!!!

Original review was 4...
Published 15 months ago by The Kelzer

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs Exactly as Expected, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Sunforce 52022 5 Watt Solar Trickle Charger - Pack of 2 (Automotive)
Since I have several ancillary devices connected to the car's (2007 Ford Taurus) electrical system, there is always a trickle load on the battery. There is a ham radio that uses backup power when off, a GPS that trickle charges even when fully charged, and a GPS receiver that runs 100% of the time. The load is not a lot, but I wouldn't leave this stuff connected for a week without driving the car. These devices do load the battery enough that on long cold winter nights, the battery starts drooping significantly. For this reason, I looked at the charger panel(s), and after reading the reviews decided they would work perfectly in minimizing the impact of all these extra devices sitting in standby all afternoon and overnight. The combination of using the panel all day while inside at work, and from 4 p.m. throughout the night has worked out very well.

I'm only using one panel, the other is for a gift.

A few notes to clear up some confusion that I noted while reading the reviews:

1. The maximum output of 350 ma at 14 volts (loaded) is NOT enough to damage any lead acid battery (car/motorcycle/lawn tractor). Yes, unloaded the panel will put out 22 volts. That means absolutely nothing. As long as it sees a 12 v battery as a load, its output will drop into the 14 plus range, which is EXACTLY what a 12v battery should be seeing from a charging circuit, so no regulator is required (or even desirable) when charging auto/motorcycle batteries.

2. The panel will not discharge a connected battery, period. There is a blocking diode in the panel's wiring that prevents current flowing from the battery to the panel. If your panel is discharging your battery, then the blocking diode has failed (it is shorted). One possible, and I'm afraid all too common reason for this failure is having the panel connected when you start your car. VERY BAD IDEA. The instructions clearly state that one should not have the panel connected while the car is running. If the panel is connected when the vehicle is starting, very large voltage spikes are present on the 12v line and the blocking diode in the panel sees these spikes and may not be rated to stand up to them. The result: the diode shorts, and this allows the battery to send current to the panel overnight....all night.

3. As far as charging smaller (lower capacity) 12v batteries or battery packs, some caution needs to be observed. Nickel Cadmium (NICAD) or Nickle Metal Hydride (NIMH) batteries can be safely charged on a continuous basis at a rate of 0.10 X AMP HOUR RATING of the battery. For example: a 12 volt battery pack made of 2500 maH rated batteries can be charged continually at 250 maH. An 1800 maH rated pack of cells can only be safely charged continually at 180 maH. Since these panels put out 350 ma, neither of these batteries can be safely charged on a continual basis. This is where the charge controllers come in to play.

CONSTRUCTION:

The panels are quite well constructed and arrived properly packed. The supplied wire length with cig plug pigtail was long enough to go from the back window to the front accessory plug. Since the panels were provided with 4 screws for mounting, I bought some 1/4 inch plywood (cut to 1/2 inch larger around than the panel by our local lumber yard), and screwed the panel onto the plywood with rubber grommets as spacers/shock absorbers. I also bought some "gripper" feet at the local Wally World (hardware section - furniture slider area), and put them on the plywood bottom to help prevent it from sliding around. The panels are clearly labeled "this side down", so it is impossible to mount them the wrong way!

PERFORMANCE:

Since putting the panel on, the rate of decay of the battery in the face of the loading of my devices, has decreased markedly. I have a digital voltmeter on the system and can see that in the morning the battery voltage is not as low as it had been prior to putting on the panel. It won't charge a dead battery, it won't make up for a significant current drain on your car battery. It will prevent a dramatic sag in battery voltage as a result of your car's microprocessor and alarm system running all night, as well as take care of a few auxiliary devices in the battery backup mode (maintaining memory of channels, for example). If your vehicle needs to sit long periods of time without running, these panels are a perfect solution, as long as you have access to sunlight. I measured the panel output at 21 volts on a fully overcast, but bright skied day, sitting in the back window of my car.

CAVEAT:

I have one concern about these panels. On a 30 degree day in full sunlight the panel became surprisingly warm to the touch, considerably warmer than the dash I had it sitting on. I'm not sure how things are going to work or how I'm going to deal with how hot they may get in full sunlight on a 90 degree Iowa summer day. At this point, it appears I have a month or two to ponder this issue. It certainly makes no sense if you can't put a solar panel in your car, (because it might get damaaged by excessive heat), when it is sold as a car charger.

Summary:

For the price and my purpose, this panel appears to be an excellent solution. Properly used and mounted, and with certain precautions taken, I would recommend this panel to anyone needing a 12v TRICKLE charging solution, where a charge controller is not needed (lead acid car/motorcycle/lawn tractor batteries).

5.0 out of 5 stars I put them on top of my trailer, June 18, 2011
I purchased these solar trickle chargers all winter. I park my trailer at the storage facility for the winter. My batteries always drain down to nothing. I got these so try and see if I could keep my batteries from draining down to nothing. I built a small little angled mount for them using wood so I could remove it when I was not using them. I put the unit on the roof and made sure my batteries were fully changed first. I left the solar panels on the top of the trailer. I checked the trailer twice a month I checked the trailer and the batteies stayed charged up all winter. Good little units. Will not charge your battey it will maintain a charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indicator LED needed., November 29, 2011
They work great, but it would be good if an LED indicator was on these so one can verify there is traveling current, or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electrifying!, October 26, 2011
These things rock! I bought a pack and connected them to my ATVs and now they are always ready to go! One thing to take note of, though, is be careful not to switch the polarity if you use an extension cable!! I can say that from experience... Batteries aren't cheap either.

5.0 out of 5 stars force 52022 5 Watt Solar Trickle Charger - Pack of 2, May 17, 2011
These panels worked great. I had a small window and these fit perfectly within. Gives a good charge of 22.5v each. Maintaining a deep cycle battery this worked great.

5.0 out of 5 stars These things are the best!!, October 3, 2012
I am sold on these for charging batteries as well as saving energy. I have four total; one for our camper, one for my wife's "toy" BMW, one for our external generator and one for our electric, automatic gate. The one for the gate has been in continuous service for well over a year without issue or failure. I am sold on solar and looking into it to run our wood burning furnace fan to pay ZERO to heat the house this winter (after start up cost recovery of course; not long to recover at the current cost of utilities). I HIGHLY recommend these chargers.

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED 8-2014...TOO MUCH VOLTAGE !!! Be carefull the pig tails are reversed from "Battery Tender"...., July 11, 2013

Original review was 4 stars.......So far I'm impressed with the quality of the product. However, be aware that the terminals are reversed from "Battery Tender" so if you already have battery tender pig tales installed on your vehicle you will not charge your battery. To better explain, from the solar panel charger, the exposed portion of the plug is the NEGATIVE, this is bad because that would make the exposed part of the plug attached to your battery POSITIVE and ready to spark away anytime it touches anything metal on your vehicle. So just cut the solar panel 9ft wire, and reverse the wires. (Don't forget to do the accessories too if you ever plan on using them).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, December 11, 2012
After looking thru all the solar chargers on Amazon I settled on these for the price and size. They seem well made and I have no concerns about them being out in the weather. Have one on my trailer hooked directly to the batteries with the supplied battery clamps and the other I put in my jeep windshield and use the cig adapter. Wish they had an led to indicate when they were working. I did test them with a volt meter.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT boat battery maintainer, December 2, 2012
Richard Cope (Baltimore, md, US) - See all my reviews
Put one on each boat. Simply plug in to cigarette lighter and have always come back to a fully charged battery. Even with bilge pumps running thru bad storms. It was not strong enough to recharge a battery that had been totally drained. I set them inside the boat inside a window. Just laid them on the shelf or dashboard under the windshield. I do unplug them from the cigarette lighter prior to starting the engine just to protect them. I think I read that somewhere. Have not tried it with my battery for the electric motor on my dingy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not have blue LED as stated, April 27, 2013
S.A.M. (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I bought the panels to keep my trucks battery topped off. It works great. The product is built well and is not an awkward size. There is one misleading paragraph in the Product description. About the fourth paragraph down to the right of the USA map it states "The Sunforce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger is constructed with durable ABS plastic and features amorphous solar cells and an ultra-bright blue LED charging indicator.", it does not have the LED indicator. I called Sunforce up and asked them and they said these particular models don't have the LED and that their 1.8 Watt model is the only one that has this Blue LED. I called back Amazon customer service and I told them the description was misleading. The item at the time was Under review by Amazon for some reason but now I see it back on sale and nothing has changed in what I am pointing out. I bought them for that LED feature thinking it was a nice feature to have but they didn't have it. Battery tender makes them with these features and built in controllers too. They are a bit more pricey but don't come in a two pack like Sunforce. So I was upset and rather than sending them back I kept them them anyway. Amazon discounted me for the product not being described properly. I'll let you know 3 to 5 months down the road on the reliabilty of them. Just be careful and always do your homework.

Sunforce 52022 5 Watt Solar Trickle Charger - Pack of 2