4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, very low CPM fan best in its price range
I have this Sunforce as well as a Nicro Day/Night fan. The Nicro is out of commission -- these vents are installed on the top of my camper van and the Nicro motor couldn't keep up with light offroading in the National Forests.

Published 14 months ago by Matthew R. Abts

3.0 out of 5 stars It sort of works
It does what i says, installs easily, and looks nice, but not much airflow. I bought to help cool our greenhouse, but didn't move enough air to do the job.
Published 12 months ago by Charles Barker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, very low CPM fan best in its price range, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)

The Sunforce has independent controls for the light (which you can turn on/off), battery, and fan. The Nicro runs the solar panel through the battery so the vent won't work it something is wrong with the battery (e.g. needs replacement).

In general, I find the Sunforce to be the tougher product with better controls. The two products both move about the same CPM. These vents will help keep temperature equalized or mold out of a very small area. 2 of them are about right for the back of an E150 with the windows cracked -- just to give you an idea of how many you'll need.

Pleased for the price, but know that what you're getting: All of these products have relatively weak fans. You could build your own for cheaper, or buy the cheapest one, gut its case, and install your own better fan, motor and solar panel -- this is now my plan for the defunct Nicro.

You'll use a 4.5" hole saw to install the Sunforce, costs around $35, plus another $10 for an "arbor" to stick in your drill (it's basically like a big drill bit with a connection on the end for the hole saw). If you're cutting through sheet metal, better plan on an 18 volt drill. If you've got a 12, go borrow a friend's 18!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the tin..., December 3, 2012
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
As the Brits say, it does what it says on the tin - the switches are nice and a cool blue LED is included for nights in the forward berth of our boat. The solar panel worked flawlessly and installation on our boat was simple. I dont have any way of knowing how many CFM of air this thing actually moves, but you can at least feel air movement when you have it on "blow in" mode. Recommended for an inexpensive ventilation device, if you have sun available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just like it should!, March 16, 2013
KC (BUTTE, MT, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
I thought it was a bit pricy but the thing does work. The light works as well. This is not a tornado fan but is a small solar fan which we will use to move air through our cargo trailer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
We are using this in a small hothouse and it works just great. It was easy to install and seems to have reduced mid day temperatures significantly. Been working for about 3 months with no apparent problems

4.0 out of 5 stars This fan requires a 4.25" hole not a 4.5" as stated in the instructions, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
I'm still in the process of installing two of these solar fans in my sailboat hatches so I can't vouch for their efficiency. But, I wanted to advise new purchasers that the hole required is NOT 4.5" or 5" as stated in various comments here.

The instructions that come with the fan say cut a 4.5" diameter hole using the template provided. The template measures 4.25" not 4.5". I cut a test 4.25" hole in a piece of plywood and the fan fits perfectly with just enough slop to allow for some expansion of the fan from heat.

So, don't order that 4.5" hole saw and mandrel for $50. I used a $7 adjustable circle cutter that I got at Harbor Freight. It worked fine.

I am replacing the Plexiglas hatch lenses on my boat so I have the luxury of doing this work in my shop.

The only other comment that I have about the fan is that the SS cover is not nearly as shiny as the photo indicates.

I have quite a condensation problem in my boat so I am going to set one fan to draw air in and the other to exhaust. I'll keep you posted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
The Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent appears to work as advertised. Helps to lower temp in RV in hot weather and circulate air when RV is not occupied without having to plug RV to power. Sold by Amazon with free shipping @ B000BYNGLU

3.0 out of 5 stars It sort of works, July 7, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice solar vent., October 2, 2013
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
This vent looks really nice on the sailboat. It was easy to install. The led blue light is great for seeing the buttons in the dark. The ability to switch the fan direction is really nice. The rechargeable battery supplied so far has not made it through the night. I hope this can be remedied at some point.The fan started out silent but is now making a noise which I don't like so I'm going to try and figure out how to contact Sunforce to ask about it, otherwise ask for an exchange.

3.0 out of 5 stars not worth cutting the hole, April 29, 2014
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
it blows very week. fine for maybe a small shed. i wanted to put in my 28' motor home. don't think it would even make a differance. not worth cutting the hole in my roof. i wanted it to move air while we are off the grid. in the summer it gets pretty hot inside

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably Fine for Some Applications, February 28, 2014
Bonmot "bonmot" (Northeast United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunforce 81300 Stainless Steel Solar Vent (Misc.)
I needed a vent fan, preferably solar, to vent a composting toilet. It would not need to vent even a small room, just a volume equivalent to a 5-gallon bucket. I had set up such a system while living on a boat a couple of years back and wished to duplicate this simple yet effective system in my small cottage. The idea is to run a 4" dryer vent hose from near the top of the composting toilet's "holding tank". The fan I used before had been acquired by me from West Marine. It worked perfectly. The vent hose was attached to the back of the unit which was mounted through the boat's deck. The solar cell ran the fan when sunny and charged the internal batteries for night/cloudy use. It ran pretty much 24/7.

When this unit arrived, I quickly realized two major problems which aren't addressed in the product description. First, the control buttons for this unit are located on the bottom center of the device. On my previous vent, this is where the vent hose would have been attached. There is flange enough on the Sunforce to attach a vent hose but then the 4 control buttons would be unreachable. This is obviously intended to be mounted in a room and draw air into (or out of) the space.

The second, and more serious, problem arose when I studied the use instructions. The night-time mode, working off the batteries that have been charged during the day, would only run for ten minutes! The unit then auto shuts down. In order to vent the odors from a composting toilet, the fan needs to run 24 hours a day. This unit really only works during the daylight hours, practically speaking. The good news is that the batteries are standard AA rechargeables and readily available for user replacement. Many other units I've found do not have replaceable batteries so the whole unit needs to be replaced when the batteries give out.

If you only need a vent fan to operate when the sun is shining and you don't need to move a lot of cubic feet of air, this unit will work well and you will be able to keep the batteries fresh.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›