5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant BRILLIANT B R I L L I A N T !
Wow!

Well, no, this will NOT be everyone's cup of tea. However, if you like Aphex Twin's musical reductionism, Squarepusher's disjointedness, Radiohead's stream-of-conciousness poetry, and Matmos's then-remembered melodic fragmentation, you will ADORE this album. Sets up a sort of harmonic mantra.

It is often disjointed and makes me think of poorly...
Published on October 30, 2005 by Emlyn Addison

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's stock
Published on January 9, 2012 by careagan

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant BRILLIANT B R I L L I A N T !, October 30, 2005
Wow!

It is often disjointed and makes me think of poorly remembered memories of songs I thought I knew. It's sometimes mayhem, yet quite tranquil at the same time.

A little bit like Mum... on cocaine... with a guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mythical and Unconventional, August 14, 2004
Wm. Mars (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
I have delighted in the Animal Collective's prior creations, but "Sung Tongs" is a inverted masterpiece of avant-pop spirituality and sensibility. The collective creates music that assists folks like myself in coping with the daily stress of being an inescapable hybrid of animal, spirit, and "machine". I've had this album for a few months now, and many of the more irregular tracks are among my favorites, but I must agree with and reiterate the majority of reviewers on this: Leaf House (track 1) is a exceptional song and a glowing example of this album's innate spirituality. One thing I do not accept is that many people describe the Collective's music as "drugged out" and "trippy." I saw the Animal Collective preform live in Philadelphia; they are so much more than your average acid-rock stoners and should not be described so carelessly. If you enjoy post-modern assimilations and music that tests your comprehension to the point of accepting the sheer joy of abstraction, give this album a spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freak Folk Is Beautiful, March 23, 2006
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
How to describe this album? First, I think i should describe the term freak folk. Freak folk is a genre that is recently gaining more notice and acceptance. Freak folk takes the found sounds and experimentalism of noise rock, the delicious, quirky weirdness of psychadellia, and the hypnotic, soothing strumming of folk/folk-rock.

Hypnotic and soothing is also a great way to describe this album. the band uses a great variety of odd sounds here, in much the same way Pink Floyd did throughout their illustrious career. This band should call to mind some of the psychadellic pioneers of the 60s,and also some of the folkier things that came out of the late 60s. And mixed in with the Floydian psychadellia, the 60s folk flourishes, we have unabashed experimentalist side of it all.

When one takes all these things into account, one thinks, "Jesus that has to be a mess!" And in some cases it is decidedly so. But it's a glorious, carefully constructed, ingeniously put together mess; brilliance in short. And out of all the above tangents and sides to this music, none of them ever go over the top. They keep it all contained.

If you are a fan of noise, folk, psychadellia, or anything of the like, this will most definitely keep you entertained for a while. Just keep in mind the term freak does apply here. So be ready for more than a little weirdness, but enjoy all the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's stock, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Sung Tongs [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
I love this album and ordered the vinyl directly from amazon. The record skipped several times on both side B and side D, leading me to believe this a manufacturer error. I sent mine back and received a replacement from amazon, only to find it had the same problem. This is just a warning to other customers that amazon may have gotten a "bad batch" of records from Fat Cat, the skips make some of my favorite songs on this record almost unlistenable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Avey Tare and Panda Bear (+ the rest of Animal Collective), May 29, 2006
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
On their 'breakout' album "Sung Tongs," Animal Collective really shines as a unique group who can create infectious songs while still maintaining that originality that most involved listeners find attractive.

Before hearing this... All I'd heard of Animal Collective was the track "Slippi" off of 'Here Comes the Indian,' and although it was a good song, I didn't find them worth exploring further. That was probably 5 or 6 months before the release of Sung Tongs. Upon reading good reviews of Sung Tongs, I decided to give it a chance and bought the record on vinyl. What a lucky buy, because little did I know, the record was phenomenal and I usually only buy vinyls if the album really stands out.

The first two tracks really caught my attention and I don't think I've heard another album start off this well. What, with the beach boys-esque vocals and tribal-styled instrumentation, it was simply irresistable.

Next, things were slowed down. The dissonant strumming of "The Softest Voice" was a bit too sparse. Afterwards, 'Winters Love' slowly fades from a quiet to a slightly louder beach boys sounding track. 'Kids on Holiday' is reminiscent of the Microphones, but with that defeniate and delightfully freakish 'Animal Collective' twist.

One of my favorite tracks "Sweet Road" uses warped field recordings and fun vocal stylings... But I absolutely love the clap after they first say "Sweet Road." I've rarely heard such a simple percussive statement be used as a hook so well.

The only faultering (long) moment on the album was Visiting Friends, unless you're patient. It drags on a little too long in my opinion and doesn't go anywhere further than the endless dissonant strumming that's already been done earlier on the album and in early groups (see: the microphones) more effectively.

The other two tracks that really stand out on the album are "We Tigers" and "Mouth Wooed Her" the former being the kind of song I was nearly expecting to hear on an album such as this. The last track is the one thing keeping this album from being rated a full five stars (I'd like to give it four and a half) because it was a weak way to end the album and isnt the kind of beautiful opus that you'd expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars five stars, August 27, 2005
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
This album is like the album for people who were into punk and proto-punk, and hence discovered Glam rock, and through that fell in love with David Bowie and T. Rex, and then got their back albums, and discovered you liked David Bowie's folk-type first album better then his later stuff, and Marc Bolan's days as Tyrannosaurus Rex, with songs about dwarves and hobbits, better than his "..and it's plain to see you were meant for me, I'm your boy, your 20th century toy." Then somewhere along the path you got into Pink Floyd, and picked up their first album, which also sounded like bizarre folk rock. OK, you decided, you now have a thing for this weird psychedelic folk pop rock stuff, too bad there's not more of it, it's so weird. So you got into the stuff that is KINDA similar to it: Modest Mouse, the Shins, the Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Flaming Lips, etc. Then, with your taste in this kind of music stuffed deep into your soul, you go over your friend's house. They're playing Death Cab for Cutie, which you say is ok, but you really think it sucks, so you're looking through their cd collection. You see this cd. "Hm," you think to yourself, "..never seen this before." You yell to your friend "Hey, what's Sung Tongs by Animal Collective?"

"Ah," they say, "It's pretty good. Pop it in, you might like it, it's this acoustic eclectic stuff."

So you pop it in, and it's like the perfect mixture of all the other music you've loved. Tyrannosaurus Rex, early Bowie, early Pink Floyd, the Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse - they're all here!

So if the mentioned bands and styles apply to you, if you understand what I'm talking about, you owe it to yourself to buy this cd. Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars GLORIOUS BEANS OF WONDEROUS SIMPLICITY..., September 28, 2005
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
...As I type this on my laptop while sitting on the toilet I am listening to Animal Collective's "Sung Tongs". My grandmother once told me, "Twice the pleasure, feathers leather." I still have no idea what that senile old woman was talking about, but for some reason I remembered this while listening to this fantastic album by AC. Every song on this album is beatiful in its own special way, even the sprawling 12 minute "Visiting Friends". Some might call it, "A waste of my effing time", or "A P.O.S.", or maybe even call it "The jayest thing I have ever heard in my life." But the only people who say that are the one's that are closet queer's. So don't listen to that guy. My mother once told me, "If you have seven honey buns and you want frogs on the other side, make little doggy Maxy talk to the relatives about STD's, make it a sunday, make it Halloween, I have to go do some more LSD, I will be back Tuesday." My mom was in and out of rehab for years. I think she's doing better now but she is always glueing ham on the floor when I come over. Anyways, buy this album, if you are poor, save up, I don't care how long it takes you, but once you get enough "scrill" buy this.

-- Sweet Cheeba Mantaray AKA Blue Tiger

P.S. I have been in my bathroom for 2 hours now, my arse is feeling a bit numb, the phone has rang 19 times, I need toilet paper...*cough*

5.0 out of 5 stars feels like i just ate a bag of mushrooms, July 28, 2006
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
the first track on this album leaf house completely blew me away. i sat in AWE and had to listen to it about 5 times in a row for it to even begin to sink in. at times, its alot to take in. highly psychadelic and extremely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get This CD Outta My Mind, January 2, 2006
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
This cd grabbed me hard and hasn't let go. It's been way over a year now and I STILL am mesmerized by it. One reviewer said that 20 years from now this would still be talked about and revered. Indeed. Innovative, and Panda and Avery should have their pictures in the dictionary beside the word. It's powerful and soulful and sweet. And definitely not for everybody. "Feels" is also good, but "Sung Tongs" is the best thing I've heard in at least 10 years. 'Mouth Wooed Her' is exceptional and is my favorite cut.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair, June 24, 2004
* "micro_k" (Rochester, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sung Tongs (Audio CD)
If everyone listened to the first few tracks and then ran to the computer to write a review, you'd get a long list of 5 star reviews. The beginning is obnoxious, strong, genius, and completely unique. The majority of the album that follows, however, is comprised of instrumental tracks capable of destroying the beauty of the beginning.

Sung Tongs
Sung Tongs by Animal Collective (Audio CD - 2004)
Rate and Discover Movies