Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Valleys Of Neptune forum

Sunshine of Your Love has seen prior release...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2010 9:12:14 AM PST
It's on an official release, "Live at Winterland." It's not this exact version. The explicit "NEVER BEFORE RELEASED... EVER!" that flies around isn't wholly eppropriate.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 9:42:50 AM PST
Well, this isn't new to anyone, is it? After looking around, I found a 6-disc, 3-night boxed set from his Winterland shows. I just never look for these things.
It's a shame Rykodisc has this in and out of print, but I'm grateful to people who decide to sell them second-hand!

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 7:51:48 PM PST
Zane Trow says:
listen to what he left us...which finishes with Electric Ladyland the last release he actually oversaw...everything else since then is just bs, what some old hippy reckons he might have done. If it was released in his lifetime then he OK'd it. I trust him, not some bloke who may have been standing in the back of a hall or a studio who knew some other bloke who once went to a party on the Kings Road with Noel Redding.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 9:51:56 PM PST
True enough. However, I'll put out the argument that in the case of previously unreleased tracks, IE, the master tapes, not every band member has the ear an engineer will. It's like the band/engineer remaster coin.

And they usually seem to add too much bass...

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 12:13:40 PM PST
ZinZenAudio says:
I thought that this was a studio version of this song. It has the same arrangement as the Winterland, but with Tax Free interjected in the middle and conga drums. Either way, it sounds great and it is exciting to get good, remixed and mastered tracks that don't sound like crappy bootlegs!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2010 11:05:55 PM PST
S. Joiner says:
Yea this is the studio version of the song - which has never been released. The other versions are live.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 8:59:24 AM PDT
Walter Five says:
That's correct, Joiner. We have the Lulu Show version, the Winterland version, the Sky High/Woke Up This Morning And Found Myself Dead version. This studio version's not been released. And that Winterland 6 CD Set is a bootleg.

The first half of "Valleys of Neptune" was originally on the "Lifelines" Box Set released 20 years ago. If you ask me, they're being a bit disingenuine about the "new" tracks; and it's funny how the two "bonus" cuts on the Target release come from the "Dagger Records" releases, which aren't supposed to be strictly "commercial quality"... They're slapping product together just like Alan Douglas was doing. What's next Janie? "Best of the Bootlegs?" *Sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 1:26:11 AM PDT
A. Balaz says:
Where did you see the 6-disc winterland box?

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 1:52:48 PM PDT
Arckitekt says:
Apparently they are planning to release 'Black Gold' sometime...

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 2:06:08 PM PDT
Walter Five says:
Who's "they", Arkitekt? I highly doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 9:40:27 AM PDT
Walter Five says:
There's sellers for Winterland here on Amazon, 3 Nights At Winterland (6-CD) BOX: currently one seller has it for $69.00, the others are a little more expensive. You can find it for a little less on E-Bay, but you'll buy it from a UK Seller who will charge you extra for postage to the U.S. It's a mixed bag: some portions of some shows were not recorded professionally, so the box compiler used audience tapes to keep the shows complete, if in a lesser quality. I have heard the audience tapes, they circulated pretty heavily in the late 80's about the time Ryko released the original single "Live At Winterland" CD, and they aren't terrible, so there you go. For under $12 a CD on a 6 CD Set that's all live Jimi, you can't go far wrong, can you?

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 6:10:29 AM PDT
Arckitekt says:
Your doubts are probably justified as they tend to release products with what they deem commercial potential. But who knows even with the recent success of Valleys doing an acoustic set of rough tapes would take some courage. Hard core collectors aren't really the concern of record companies but there's no lack of fanbase for Hendrix even after 40 yrs...

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 12:53:41 PM PDT
Walter Five says:
Oh, I forgot the Royal Albert Hall performance of "Sunshine Of Your Love" on the "Experience" film soundtrack LP! I *knew* there was one more out there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Valleys Of Neptune forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Valleys of Neptune
Valleys of Neptune by Jimi Hendrix (Audio CD - 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars (225)