Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 3, 2001
As a family physician and new mother, I bought this book with interest. Overall, excellent principles of healthy baby diet, and excellent ways of preparing baby food at home. However, I was astounded by several key things. -Yaron recommends feeding a baby nuts - she doesn't give a specific time frame to start, but talks extensively about how to prepare and feed them to "baby." Nuts are HIGHLY allergenic, they are definitely not recommended before the first year and longer after that if a mother can help it. I have heard of a child suffering from anaphylactic shock from eating home made peanut butter at 8 months. -Yaron recommends preparing Spinach and Carrots at home, these two vegetables are not recommended for home preparation because of their high concentration of nitrates. Baby food companies screen these two vegetables so that only those from areas of the country with low nitrates can be served to baby. -Yaron makes comments such as, "the good old days" when you can buy tofu in a refrigerated bin where you can bag your own tofu...well this was ended for a specific reason, IT ISN"T SANITARY.
These glaring statements make this book one that I would not recommend for my patients. If you are aware of all the facts above and will double check some of her principles with other authorative text, then this is a good book on home preparing food in a wholesome, organic manner.
2929 comments| 1,174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 1999
There is a lot of great information in this book. However, there is also quite a bit of nutritional misinformation to go with it. So I found myself having to double-check any recommendation I didn't already know about with another source which somewhat defeats the purpose of buying the book. That said I'm a complete kitchen klutz so having a book that explains exactly how to shop for, prepare and freeze each food is very helpful.
I'd just be very, very careful about using the exact diet as recommended for a baby under 1 year without consulting with your pediatrician first. For example, in order to avoid the "evil" meat, the book recommends introducing nuts, seeds & soy into the baby's diet from a pretty early age. These foods are all high allergen foods and really are not any better for a small baby than some pureed chicken. The book also recommends liver powder -- but organ meats are high in toxins. It also recommends cottage cheese starting at 6 months but cottage cheese has all the same problems as cow's milk and should not be given until you are ready to start straight cow's milk.
So in some senses I think the "cure" (a diet full of allergy-causing foods) is worse than the "disease" (eating meat once in a while).
The book is also not very bfing friendly... if you push solids in the amounts recommended here and as early as recommended here, you could easily have supply problems or your baby could self-wean by 9-10 months.
44 comments| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2010
This is the most comprehensive baby food book available. Yaron delivers excellent advice and this book is a wealth of information. I read this book cover to cover, however you can use it as a reference and read sections when needed. I enjoyed the following about this book:

#1: She describes new foods that can be introduced to baby on a monthly basis beginning at 6 months.
#2: Detailed instructions on how to make your own healthy cereals options
#3: How to make your own yogurt
#4: Things I never knew before like how to tell if an egg is fresh or still good
#5: Reference and appendices sections where you can look up a vegetable/fruit individually and get facts like how to prepare, age to introduce and nutritional information
#6: You will want to make healthy food not just for your baby but for yourself. You'll find yourself wanting to try some healthy options for the whole family.

The only thing that I seriously disagreed with is her low opinion of meat. The emphasis is on legumes/beans etc. for protein and the role of meat in the diet is down played. This is the kind of book where you can find pieces of good advice and use what you want and not use what you don't want. If you are not a stay at home mother you will never be able to make food the way she describes. But if you do work you can still make some of your baby's food and that's better than not making any of it. Fantastic book. It would make an excellent baby shower gift as well.

******In regards to (Good reference, but some key inaccuracies, January 3, 2001 By A Customer)******

The No. 1 review has some glaring errors. Please see below:

The first time I read this review I thought it had very good commentary to offer. Even though this reviewer points out a number of concerns with Yaron's Super Baby Food book, I bought the book anyway. I was glad that I did because "A Customer" actually was highly misleading in terms of what Yaron actually recommends. It's really a shame that so many people found this review to be helpful because of the misleading information that "A Customer provides. I guess just because a person says they are a physician does not mean that they correctly present facts or correctly quote books. These are the following inaccuracies that I found this the above review:

#1: (she doesn't give a specific time frame to start) - Actually Yaron DOES give a time table to introduce baby to nuts. She specifically describes introducing nuts at 8 months and not introducing them any sooner than 8 months (page 101). She explicitly says on page 32 that experts recommend waiting until age three to introduce peanuts. She refers back to page 32 when talking about peanuts multiple times. Furthermore, in the table on page 33 she plainly lists nuts as a high risk allergy food. As a parent you have to decide when to introduce what nuts when to your child, plain and simple. Yaron gives guidelines and simply describes the nutritional benefits of nuts/seeds.

#2: (Yaron makes comments such as, "the good old days" when you can buy tofu in a refrigerated bin where you can bag your own tofu...well this was ended for a specific reason, IT ISN"T SANITARY) This statement is just blatantly taken out of context. I will type the sentence from Yaron's book following what "A Customer" quoted. "I remember the good old days when blocks of tofu were sold in an open refrigerated barrel at my local natural foods store and customers would bag their own. BUT TOFU IS NO LONGER SOLD THAT WAY, DUE TO THE LIABILITY OF UNFRIENDLY BACTERIA. FOR YOUR BABY, BE SURE TO BUY TOFU IN SEALED PACKAGES ONLY. It made me very mad that a "family physician" would take that out of context. Furthermore, Yaron is overly cautious about bacteria and keeping things clean. She recommends that you boil all water first before you give it to you baby and who does that? Yaron always recommends being over cautious and overly safe in terms of keeping bad bacteria away from your baby.

So, what this reviewers calls "glaring statements" I would call either not reading closely enough OR taking statements out of context. I have no idea about the validly on nitrates in spinach and carrots, but since all other concerns that "A Customer" discussed were inaccurate I would be inclined to research that myself before believing this person. When I saw that this person was a family physician I was more likely to believe what they said, but after completely reading Yaron's book and I have different opinion. I have a Master's degree in Environmental Chemistry, does that make what I say more credible? Well one thing I learned from my degree is always back up facts with proven research and credible sources for information. I put all the page numbers from Yaron's book and used direct quotes, I am not defending the actual recommendations. I am just trying to make sure that everyone knows that this person's review was biased and misleading.
on June 6, 2003
I am shocked at all of the poor reviews this book was given, and I hope they don't turn people away from a book that I really appreciated. When I first opened the book, I read instructions on how to prepare and store almost every fruit or vegetable you can imagine (what a great resource!), but also saw things like grinding your own millet for cereal, making your own yogurt, adding kelp for nutrients and I thought, boy am I in for a long read! But what I thought would be terribly complex wasn't complex at all. Her directions are very simple and easy, and I felt she always kept the idea of less time and less money is best. I was consistently surprised how easy it was to put my baby on a wonderfully healthy diet, and it gave me such a sense of pride to do this for my daughter.
Still wondering if it�s for you? This is for mothers who want to make their own food, but is also aware of the extreme importance of nutrition. Friends of mine who had and had not made their own baby food would gasp at the time and energy they thought I put into my baby's food, without realizing that it wasn't very time-consuming at all and was very rewarding. If these are your thoughts, stay away from this book. If you aren't willing to really read and learn about nutrition, stay away from this book. If you roll your eyes at "tree-huggers" and think organic farming is nonsense, you may not want to buy this book either because there is touch of this attitude. . She never sounded "preachy" to me, she just sounded well-educated, however I personally have strong views on human nutrition and how we treat our bodies AND communities by the food we consume.
Also: I�m pretty sure that the comments about the nuts and nitrates in carrots and spinach ARE mentioned in the book. I think some people read only some parts and were ready to ring the alarm bells. If you read further, there are warnings for issues such as those.
On a final note: After I bought mine, it came with me EVERYWHERE so I could read a few chapters whenever I got a chance. I bought it for a friend and I laughed because she was carrying it with her in the diaper bag. For those of us who loved the book, we know it's worthwhile. I recommend checking the book out from the library first, and then buying a copy if it seems like something you would really like.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 1999
I have the first edition of this book and bought the second edition when it became available because it contained even more recipes and tips for food and play.
Yaron brings together expert advice and common sense from a variety of sources. In this one volume a reader can find nutrition information we previously had to gather from a variety of books, experts and real-life experience. Her information on nutrition and safety is cutting-edge. While I gathered tips and advice from my pediatrician and from parenting newsletters available through my state Extension service, Yaron's book delivered more information in more detail and an easy-to-read format. Nutrition information can be referenced food by food or by a child's age of development. Whenever I had a question about the appropriateness of a certain food for my baby, I could quickly look it up. I learned quite a lot about general nutrition that's been helpful to my own diet. The book will be of special interest to vegetarian or vegetarian-leaning parents.
The recipe section is invaluable for those "I don't know what to prepare" snacks and mealtimes. Yaron's tips are also money-savers for those on a tight budget. The new edition has more "do-it-yourself" ideas for play and parties and serves as a nice reference for the times when the reader's own creativity is lacking.
on November 2, 1999
Wow! Where to start? First, I bought this and The Healthy Baby Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel at the same time. While Karmel's book is "prettier" and has some interesting looking recipes, this one far outweighs it as a resource tool, which was what I was looking for. I admit, I was intimidated at first by the sheer volume of information contained in this book, but after reading the author's suggestion on how to read the book, I felt that I had a better handle on it. The book is very well organized, from when to introduce specific foods, to how to prepare and store them (one of my favorite sections!), to the recipes, which I really haven't gotten to yet. Yaron doesn't make the reader feel guilty about having a few jars of commerical baby food on hand, so in this sense, she's not militant about doing Everything from scratch.
The only area which I feel is a bit weak is the very short chapter on meat, which she states she added for the "readers who (no matter what I say!) have decided to feed it to their babies." Yaron is very obviously a vegetarian, which is fine, however, I (and many other moms) are not. This does not stop me from enjoying her book, and I probably will start preparing more grains-and- legumes meals as a result of what I'm learning, for variety, if not for the health benefits.
This is definitely the book to own if you can only buy one!
on May 31, 2003
I have never written a review of a book on amazon, but based on my experience with Super Baby Food I feel compelled to submit a review of this book. While this book has good tips on how to make and prepare your own baby food at home (and I found these to be very helpful), there are several major flaws that parents should be aware of:
1) This book is not well-organized and could be written with 1/3 the number of words utilized by this author. It is also chock-full of extraneous information and helpful "tips" on completely unrelated topics.
2) Alarmingly, this author promotes nuts and nut butters and recommends introducing these at 10 months of age. Peanuts are SEVERELY allergenic and can even cause anaphylactic shock, which can lead to throat constriction and even death in children and adults. The information on nut allergies is mentioned in a completely separate allergy chapter of the book and is not discussed in the chapter on nuts and nut butters. Because this book is incredibly dense, it is easy to forget about this reference by the time your baby is 10 months old and it is time, according to the author, to introduce nuts. Early introduction of nuts can reduce the likelihood that a child will outgrow this allergy. Most pediatricians now recommend waiting until 2 years to introduce nuts.
3) This author recommends home-prepared carrots, which I learned from another source contain nitrates and are dangerous for newborns.
4) This author has a superior attitude about her methodology, which is a little annoying. Her only scientific support for her approach is that she has two kids and they seem to have been sick less than other kids.
I would buy this book for the useful tips, but go in with eyes open to the flaws
1919 comments| 587 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2014
This is an informative and well-written book, the problem is, the information presented about food is all wrong. Buyer beware: This is a vegetarian baby food book that is seriously heavy on cereals and grains. This book claims animal meats are bad for babies, and then recommends toxic soy products and hard-to-digest cereals for your baby instead. DO NOT follow this book's advice on food choices. DO use this book for handy tips on preparation and storage of homemade baby food. Seek a better, more scientific source for the nutrients your baby's brain and body need for optimum development. Super Nutrition for Babies is a much better source for accurate info about the kinds of foods you should be preparing and serving to your baby.
on February 19, 2002
This is the best, most comprehensive book about feeding baby I have found. I am following Yaron's suggestions to the T, with a green light from my pediatrician. (Including eating cooked egg yolks and the nuts and seeds suggested.) He says over and over again how lucky my son is to be getting such wholesome food! I started out thinking that I would just make some of my own baby food, but each thing I tried was easier than the one before, and before I knew it, I was making all the food for my baby. I really find it hard to believe that anyone buys baby food, especially things like cereal and bananas. But, even if you are not planning to make all (or any) of your own baby food, I still think this book is a must have. It gives detailed information on exactly what foods can be started at what age, what constitutes a balanced diet for a baby or toddler of any age, how to select, prepare, store, ripen, freeze or cook anything you want to serve baby, and tons more. No pediatrician could possibly provide this much information. I think a lot of Yaron's general household "Tips" throughout the book are sort of silly, but I have found a few of them to be very useful. This is the encyclopedia of baby food. It is a must have for all moms!
on November 26, 1999
This book is for everyone with children. We have been using this book for eight months now with amazing success. Parents can use the information for making homemade babyfood, nutrtion info., food intro. timelines, many tot (my toddler that is) tested and approved recipes etc. I liked this book because I was nervous about not giving my infant enough nutrients,food allergies, as well as preparation techniques (I had NO experience in the kitchen) if I made my own babyfood. This book is for parents of all levels of experience. It will answer ALL of your questions (you can email the author if you have any unanswered) and walk you through step by step, and take the fright out of dealing with your child's health and nutrition first hand. If you think you don't have the time or the energy to do this, think again. Check this book out at the library, read a little and I'm positive you'll want to add this book to your permanent collection. I could never have done it with so much confidence without this book. I have the HEALTHY 14 month old to proove it! I only gave this book four stars because there is an extra section that does not pertain to nutriton (kids crafts) that I do not use and really adds a lot of bulk to the book.