5.0 out of 5 stars Super Cyclone
I am not sure what movie the other critics watched, but because of the unanimously
terrible reviews, I thought I would get the movie and see what all the trouble was. I think I got a better movie than you all did. The island of Catalina (if that is what it was) blew up because the drillers hit a magma pocket situated on a crustal plate and Catalina was on the same...
Published 20 months ago by AthenaKahli

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Cyclone....
A lone meteorologist, a ship doctor and petroleum engineer must battle the elements to stop the threat of a Super Cylone that threatens the entire eastern seaboard. That's what this movie is about, folks.

Published on October 31, 2012 by blackaciddevil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Cyclone...., October 31, 2012
blackaciddevil (in the USA somewhere.....) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)

Normally, I support The Asylum with their low-budget movies. Over the last year alone, I've bought nearly every movie they've put out. I hadn't seen one yet that I didn't like, in some way. However, this one....this one...well, this one just reeked. Seeing the trailer for the movie at their website, It looked like it'd be an awesome flick in the vein of 2012, Twister, and Volcano. It was awesome, at least, where the special effects and whatnot were concerned. That was good. Where the movie reeked was with the acting and the holes in the plot and script. An example of this was when Ming Na's character says that the cyclone would hit Cali within an hour only to say several minutes later that it would hit in a couple of hours? What? or the crewmen on an oil rig that is on fire with the cyclone about to hit it walking and talking like it is something they see everyday..wha'? I could pick out all kinds of things that I found wrong with this movie. What gets me is that actors Ming Na and Nick Turturro have made other movies that cemented them in as great actors only to give lackluster performances in this movie. Come on. Was this the director's first movie? Who knows.

All I know is, if The Asylum puts out more movies like this one, I may reconsider supporting their efforts as much as I do. I can deal with low-budgets, okay CGI, and subpar acting. What I can't stand is a movie that doesn't make too much sense to me.

I'd love to recommend another movie from The Asylum but I'm afraid that I can't. This movie is downright awful that it is laughable. I'd have to say, like everyone else, this has to be the worst film I've ever seen them put out. Shame, shame, shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Super Disaster!, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
What happens when you blend in the scripts from Armageddon, 2012, Twister and Volcano? You get the direct-to-DVD Super Cyclone.

I've never cared much for disaster movies, even though it seems like there is a new one on the SyFy Channel every other week. To me they are basically all the same. A natural occurrence happens destroying cities and our government tries to stop it with some unbelievable plan. I have reviewed a few other Asylum titles this year and they kindly sent me a free invite to stream this movie online in exchange for an honest review.

Yes, I know that the DVD cover looks like fun, but the movie is a complete mess from start to finish. The plot is simple; a group of oil drillers off the shore of south California accidentally drills to close to the Earth's core causing a volcano eruption. Since the eruption occurred at the bottom of the ocean, it creates one super cyclone that is going to destroy most of California. The only hope is a group of oil drillers (who do absolutely nothing but run around the oil rig), Dr. Jenna Sparks (played by Ming-Na), and Travis Verdon (played by Nicholas Turturro). Of course there is our US Navy, which is horribly portrayed throughout the movie.

One would think if Dr. Jenna Sparks could pilot a helicopter off of an oil rig in hurricane type weather, then the trained Navy pilots would have no trouble saving the men on the oil rigs.

The movie is fast-paced with some of the worst CGI special effects that I have ever seen. The volcano erupting underneath the ocean floor would cause a tsunami before it would a cyclone or hurricane. I tried to ignore the basic plot and just watch the movie for its B-quality. Ming-Na and Nicholas Turturro are the only two decent actors, but they can't help save this disaster of a movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute worst b film I have ever seen!, November 12, 2012
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
I watched this film via an alternative purchase. Don't waste your money on this one! If I could have given it a minus five stars, I would have. I really like a good disaster film, but this was the absolute worst. Cheesy, tacky acting, special effects the same and story line not much better. Asylum should not have produced this film. A five year old probably could have come up with a better film!

1.0 out of 5 stars This Movie Fails On So Many Levels..., December 23, 2012
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
Super Cyclone is yet another release from Aslyum Pictures, which specializes in cheesy, b-movies, most of which don't take themselves too seriously and come infused with liberal amounts of humor. You know, movies that are so bad... they're good? They have indeed succeeded with quite a number of these, which makes me wonder why they have decided to stray from their main fare.

Unfortunately, Super Cyclone is too stupid to take seriously and too serious to be funny. The script blends in the worst film cliches you can think of, and the character development goes absolutely nowhere, due to the fast-paced "action" of jumping from one scene to the next. It almost seems like the director was trying to get the entire movie filmed in 3 days and the editor simply didn't have any time available to him to actually edit.

As for the plot, it basically consists of Ming-Na dragging (sometimes literally) Nicholas Turturro from one scene to another. She is totally panicked and running around at 100 miles an hour, while Turturro, well, acts at a pace that is considerably slower. The "mess" they are trying to fix is a super cyclone that was somehow triggered by offshore drilling near California. The entire scientific premise goes way past believability for anyone with even a single brain cell and the unbelievability throughout the movie is definitely cumulative.

The biggest problem I had with this film was actually in the details though. There are so many mismatched scenes, unexplained events that were never mentioned again (like the Island of Catalina "blowing-up" with no explanation or comment), night suddenly turning to day, the sky going from stormy, to clear and blue over the course of a single frame, stormy seas that were obviously just someone's swimming pool, the fact that there is supposed to be some kind of love interest between the two characters yet they have ZERO chemistry and can't so much as have a hug without looking incredibly awkward... the list goes on and on. When there are obvious mistakes in almost every major scene, it really starts to distract from one's enjoyment of the picture, as if there was anything to enjoy in the first place.

Special effects are mainly limited to CGI, although I did catch them using some public domain stockpile footage from different storms. It didn't match well at all. The few, good CGI scenes seemed to have little or nothing to do with the movie, and didn't involve the main characters. I'm tempted to conclude that they had footage left over from other movies that they just decided to throw-in to stretch the movie into 90 minutes.

If you want something more realistic and enjoyable to watch than this film by Asylum, try Sharktopus. At least it doesn't have a problem poking fun at itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst SY FY ever, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
My husband and I watch a lot of SY FY movies. This one takes the cake! We were laughing out loud at all the mistakes as they happened. Just as an example: the movie takes place in and around Los Angeles. They show a map of the super cyclone rolling across southern FLORIDA! Ming-Na is supposed to be from NOAA, she hands someone her card who reads that she is from the National Oceanic Atmospheric ASSOCIATION! Come on! who was consulting on this! What a bomb!

1.0 out of 5 stars Giant waste of money, April 26, 2013
This was an awful movie. Giant waste of the $3.99 to rent it. I like these types of disaster movies but this one was just really bad. Don't waste your time or hard earned dollars on it. The acting was terrible and the story line was non-existent. At least there were a few good explosions.

1.0 out of 5 stars This film is Rated ZZzzzz...., September 25, 2012
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
I generally like theses Asylum cheapo disaster flicks. Even though they are generally cheesy, they have always entertained me. This was the worst film I have ever seen come out of Asylum. Unless you see this film sold for a penny (brand new), you've spent too much.

2.0 out of 5 stars They just didn't care, April 20, 2013
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
For the last couple of years, The Asylum really seems to be resting on the laurels of its Debbie Gibson - Tiffany - monster movie successes. I love The Asylum, but Super Cyclone is a lackluster, lazy effort chock full of bad movie moments. It's obvious that the people who made this movie just did not care. Whoever was in charge of marketing obviously didn't even watch the movie. If you go to The Asylum's very own web site and pull up this title, the description refers to the threat of a super cyclone that threatens "the entire American eastern seaboard." Uh, small problem - the story actually takes place on the west coast of California. Adding injury to insult, the film itself presents one radar image of the big storm that shows Florida. I guess the director figured that no one would notice. Do you know who else didn't care? The editor. This is a total hack and slash job. You have cameras constantly shifting from scenes of wind and rainstorms to sunny days. At one point a truck stops on the road, and the passengers get out amidst scrub brush nowhere near a road. My favorite shot, though, comes when one of our "heroes" tries to cross a tree resting above a sinkhole - it's blatantly obvious that he's on perfectly flat ground.

The trouble begins when an offshore oil rig hits a deep pocket of methane. That superheats the water, which - as we all know - causes some kind of vortex that gives birth to a storm ten times larger than Hurricane Katrina. Dr. Jenna Sparks (Ming-Na), who is some kind of atmospheric scientist/military advisor working on a way to defuse storms, and some other forgettable heroes can't do anything to help once they get there, and they spend most of the movie trying to get back to Camp Pendleton so that they can suggest a couple of ludicrous means for stopping the storm before the entire West Coast is destroyed. Neither wind nor rain nor hail nor flaming hail nor oil downpours will stop them. For some reason, no one in Washington, D.C. seems to have any say in matters of such emergencies, as some Colonel is running the whole show himself.

I could go on and on about all of the things that make this film so bad, but I think you get the picture already. I will add that the CGI effects are amateurish even by The Asylum standards, and the acting is flat and ponderous all the way around. I could not have cared less if any of these characters lived or died. It is films such as this that give The Asylum such a bad name.

2.0 out of 5 stars yuk, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
it is 1 stupid movie i have seen better movies than that . better action movie than this its so fake n stupid

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Ever, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Super Cyclone (DVD)
The movie began with a good idea but whoever produced it put no money in it. I have never seen a movie so poorly done. The worst part was that it was filmed in Southern California so the sun was shining all the time even when it was pouring rain or hailing. They drove thru raining oil but when they got out of the car it was sunny again. An entire ship was lifted by a tornado but the people inside we barely moved around. And since it was the stars they weren't hurt. Camera shots were spinning around people or following them down hallways while they talked over and over again. Helicopters were flying into tornadoes and fiery hailstones. Really stupid. If I could I would give it minus 5 stars!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Super Cyclone
Super Cyclone by Na (DVD - 2012)
$14.95 $9.99