Super Duper Alice Cooper [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$11.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 11, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
Overall a great film, I really love the way the directors made it seem like the story was being told in real time, and the use of archival footage, stock footage and classic AC music was fantastic. As a long time Coophead I was surprised to learn some things I'd not known before, but was disappointed by the fact that Michael Bruce was completely written out of the story. Perhaps MB refused to participate, but it's hard to tell the story of the Alice Cooper Group without any mention of the co-writer of most of the hits. It was like airbrushing Art Garfunkel out of a documentary about Paul Simon. Despite this criticism, I thoroughly enjoyed this doc and will be passing it around to my friends.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
This documentary was an absolute revelation! The early footage, interviews, and stories were worth the price of admission all by themselves. This is about as honest a look at Alice Cooper as you can possibly get and it REALLY shows you the highs and tremendous lows of his life and career. You won't look at Alice Cooper the same way after you see this, as you will gain an immense amount of respect for his recovery and triumph over, strangely enough, Alice.

It is so great to see the story of Alice Cooper told against the backdrop of the time when they (the band) were starting out. It is so easy to dismiss what they did if you don't put it into context and this documentary will show you exactly why Alice Cooper (and later the solo act "Alice Cooper") were and are so important to the history of theatrical music.

The production on the Blu-ray is great, as the guys behind two other amazing documentaries ("Iron Maiden - Flight 666" and "Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage") were behind this one. They know their subject and they work with the people to deliver amazing pieces of work and I cannot recommend any of their films highly enough.

BOTTOM LINE: Super Duper Alice Cooper gets 10 stars out of 5!

BUY IT NOW!

IMPORTANT NOTE: The feature presentation is not 127 minutes, it is 87 minutes. The extras on the disc make up for the rest of the time noted on the disc case.

Feature length: 1:26:42
The Deleted Scenes section on the disc account for 20:44.
the Rare Footage section on the disc accounts for 11:05.
The Metal Evolution Interview Scenes section accounts for 11:43.

The total runtime of the feature and all extras is 2:10:14.
Format: Blu-ray
First off, this review pains me. I have been an Alice Cooper fan since I was a teenager and have seen him live which never disappoints. I am also a huge fan of Dunn and McFayden, having thoroughly enjoyed "Flight 666" and "Beyond the Lighted Stage".

Perhaps I just bought into all the hype that was sent to my email courtesy of Eagle Rock Entertainment. I had missed out on the theater release of the film so I have been waiting months for it to come out on Bluray, in hindsight, it was probably better I did miss the theater release because I would not have bought the Bluray. From the Eagle Rock email hype I was expecting a larger than life story with new footage I have never seen, new interviews and insight to the band, Vincent and Alice. I was expecting the story and characters to come alive in the film but sadly that didn't happen for me.

Perhaps I am just too big of a fan, owning too many Alice bootlegs, buying the concert films over the years, reading a few biographies it seems I know the whole legacy inside and out already as I really didn't learn anything new from them but certainly noticed gaping holes in the story. There is no mention of Vincent's contribution to his local community/school theater or his radio show. I just think the whole story isn't told here, I found myself disappointed.

The most enjoyable and enlightening part of the Bluray for me was the bonus interviews, that is where I did learn some interesting bits and heard some different points of view I hadn't been exposed to before.

I ended up watching the film twice, the first time was kind of late at night and I fell asleep around the time of Special Forces so the next night I watched again and saw that after SF there wasn't too much more in the film, having the story end shortly after "The Nightmare Returns". Alice has had some great hits, darn good albums, fantastic tours since then but there was no mention of his successes.

Feeling empty after watching this film for the second time I went to Netflix where I have been watching some outstanding Rock Docs and settled in and completely enjoyed the 5 star films that are "Beware of Mr Baker" and "Muscle Shoals" which accomplished for those artists what this film should have done for Alice. In the end, I feel that if you really want to get the best insight to Alice and his contribution to popular music, get the DVD of "Welcome to My Nightmare" and watch it with the commentary track on.

I certainly hope Dunn and McFayden can return to excellent rock doc film making, they have a great knack for telling interesting rock stories but even with one of the greatest performers EVER, this documentary simply falls flat.
Format: Blu-ray
Let me start by saying that I have enjoyed everything from Banger films, up to this point.

I did enjoy the archival footage and photos here, but didn't really see anything that wasn't on the Alice Cooper "Old School" DVD that accompanied the deluxe box set.

They chose to approach this documentary differently than previous efforts, opting to only use archival film footage and photos with voice over narration.
They used some clever 3D manipulation with still photos to make this less tedious than it might sound and in that they were successful.

Unfortunately, the film makers failed at just about everything else.

They perpetuated band myths that the film makers, the band and a large amount of the audience know to be false.
It is fun to tell everyone what all the myths were, but don't present them as fact.
It is insulting to the longtime fans who really care about the artists.

I realize this is meant to be an entertaining "documentary", but I believe the film makers still have an obligation to tell a truthful, balanced version of events.
The omission of anything Michael Bruce is unforgivable for anyone considering themselves a "Documentary" film maker attempting to tell a story about the Alice Cooper band.
It is vindictive and petty, if intentional or at the very least inept, verging on completely incompetent if accidental.
on June 6, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
If you are buying this deluxe edition of Super Duper Alice Cooper for the bonus disc of the "1972 Concert" BEWARE - it's cut to shreds.... Something they should have told me/everyone in the description! Don't advertise a full concert when the footage/songs/audio is incomplete. Don't misunderstand me, if you see the track list you can tell it's not the full concert set list; but the songs they did include are incomplete! Why do I need to see/hear a chopped to shreds "I'm Eighteen"?? Why do I need to sheel out my hard earned cash for the last 2 minutes of "Is It My Body"???? Why would I want to hear the first 4 bars of "Yeah Yeah Yeah" and not the rest of the song???? I feel ripped off. If you feel that this would cheat you too, then do yourself a favor and just get the documentary where incomplete songs are the norm, don't shell out for an incomplete concert.

Please note that this is no reflection on Amazon, who's service is always excellent.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
Somehow this film just misses the mark totally , it covers Alice from beginning to 1986 (what about the next 25+ years !?) and it does this poorly , we have all seen & heard most of these stories on "Prime cuts" "behind the music " etc. They skip over so many era's & albums that if your a big Alice fan your gonna be bummed with this .
I love what Banger films usually put's out ( Iron Maiden: Flight 666 , Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage , history of metal series etc.) but this is average at best .
What someone needs to do is put out a 4 hour Alice film ( see the documentary stuff that was done on Tom petty or the Eagles) to cover 40+ years of an amazing career ....... the other bummer is certain past Alice cooper band members were not involved in this ..............overall i will probably never watch this again , if your a diehard your gonna be pretty bummed with most of it .
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I have been an Alice Cooper fan for many years. I actually met him socially in Auckland in 1977. Various Canadian media institutions have had a big part in this films production. Bob Ezrin is from Canada so maybe he had a bigger hand in it than mentioned. The total exclusion of any interviews with original guitarist Michael Bruce is astounding. He had worked with Alice in recent years so where is the problem? With Shep I imagine. Old rock n roll grudges never fade away.
There should have been recent interviews with Sheryl Cooper and his mother. Why the falling out with Bernie Taupin? etc etc etc.
In the end you come away thinking she had seen and heard it all before.
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Decent documentary. You'll either love or hate the format they used. There is NO Michael Bruce or Glen Buxton. Almost like they didn't exist. It covers from The Earwigs to 1986, all but skipping the early 80's except for Alice's decline because of crack. Not much stuff you haven't seen before. Overall, for a mainstream doc on Alice, it's good. For a die-hard fan, you will be wishing there was a lot more meat on the bone.
Format: Blu-ray
I really enjoyed the Blu-Ray, but like other reviewers, I am mystified by Michael Bruce's absence. I don't recall even hearing his name. Buxton was mentioned like one time. Why is that? It left me with a bad taste.
on October 1, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
I learned about two things in this documentary. This was not nearly as well done as Iron Maiden Flight 666. I also don't think that there was much of an attempt to tell the audience anything new.

There were just too many gaps that were not covered. It was difficult trying to keep track of who was talking. The time periods and which albums and tours were vague. There wasn't a single reference to Michael Bruce or any of the incredible talent that Alice has worked with since 1986. He has had some of the best musicians in the world play on parts of his CD's and this wasn't covered. Prime cuts was much more inclusive and entertaining.