Customer Discussions > Super Mario Bros. 3 forum

Super Mario Bros. 3 For NES Not Working...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2008 10:05:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2008 10:11:35 AM PDT
GamerGuy says:
I recently ordered a copy of Super Mario Bros. 3. When I put it in the NES, the screen flashes purple and black and the power light flashes as well. I have attempted to clean dust off of the cartridge, and the NES works fine with other games. I don't know what to do next, please help!

UPDATE:
If I push the cartridge harder into the NES, I can make it so that the screen is a solid purple and the power switch isn't blinking. Game still doesn't work. Still need help.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 8:28:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2008 8:34:48 PM PDT
If your other games aren't giving you a problem, and your NES has been refurbished, is a NES 2, or has been professionally cleaned, the game itself may be in need of a cleaning.

You may have to open the game up to clean it, but this requires a special security bit. I wouldn't recommend trying to open it using any other method. Try looking up "3.8mm cartridge opening bit" on eBay or Amazon, and you can find them for about 7 dollars or so after shipping. I have one, and it's more than paid for itself.

If you do get the bit and open the cart, you can use an eraser to rub away the dirt and grime that's built up on the connector pins of the game over the years. It takes a lot of time, but it should do the trick. If you're not sure how this works, check this video out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAaGHUnskRM

If you don't feel comfortable opening your games, or you don't want to spend the money on such an expensive tool, you can try to shape an eraser to fit into the opening on the cart where the pin connectors are, and just do it that way. It's not as efficient, but it'll get the job done.

I wouldn't recommend using alcohol to clean the connectors, because when it dries, it can leave an invisible residue that will only make for a worse connection between the console pins and the game. I use the eraser method, using compressed air or Q-tips to blow or brush away the eraser shavings, keeping the cart clean.

It's a good idea to clean all games before you play them in your system. Above all, I recommend getting the security bit and giving all of your games a thorough cleaning. Just make sure you pay attention to what goes where, and how it was when you opened it. Also, be careful not to snap anything off, which would render the game pretty much unplayable.

If cleaning the game using these methods don't work, you should probably call it a loss and get a new copy of the game.

Good luck.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 8:00:15 PM PDT
GlassAgate says:
Try this: put your cart in, and press down. Now, press it again, as if to release it, but
don't let it up all of the way. Now, while holding it from popping up fully, take a second
cart, and place it inside of the console, between the "metallic bar" and the roof of the
console. The second cart may be at something of an angle. Try turning on your console
now. Does this help? I do this, and it works fine, unless your cart is bad.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 6:57:43 PM PST
Grant says:
Wow. Did you try blowing in it? I found blowing in it hard, with a warm, moist, breath is the trick for most games. This is a classic trick that every kid knew back in the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 3:22:14 PM PST
GlassAgate says:
That can lead to the copper oxidizing....

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 4:59:56 PM PST
Grant says:
Really? I wonder about the condition of my Mission Impossable cart now...
I havent played it in about 12 years...
Ooops.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Super Mario Bros. 3 forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros. 3 by Nintendo (Nintendo NES)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (247)