5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chess Mario!
High quality, excellent opportunity for fun, excitement and learning chess for Mario Brothers lovers. Children of all ages would enjoy this. My children even love to use pieces as bath toys to continue the fun.... totally waterproof pieces.

This is a must buy for kids who love Mario Brothers and need an alternative to constant video games.
Published on November 3, 2009 by M. D'Andrea

3.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE PIECES!!!! Board is of HORRIBLE QUALITY!!!!!
Published 20 months ago by Empacted Colon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chess Mario!, November 3, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for introduction to chess!!, October 16, 2009
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
I got this for my 7 year old son, who is a huge mario fan, but also wanted to learn about chess. The characters are useful for remembering the various types of moves and he has had a lot of fun playing. The good vs evil set up gives him motivation to win and thus he is learning in the process. A very good introductory set, for to teach kids who like the mario universe but might be confused by the normal chess pieces. 5 Stars *****

3.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE PIECES!!!! Board is of HORRIBLE QUALITY!!!!!, December 30, 2012
Empacted Colon (Wazoo County, Texas) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
My daughter and I are Mario and chess FANATICS!!!!! We play chess several times a day and were extatic with this set. Until, some water accidently got on part of the board. We immediately patted the water off and attempted to properly dry the board. Within a 30 second period, the board completely fell apart, paint pealed off, and the board deteriorated several minutes later. Did the people who made this board actually put no thought into some sort of protective coating so the slightest shred of liquid would not cause it to completely collapse? This thing does have "KIDS" written on it, Right? We are very responsible with our things. Especially, our things related to Mario and video games but, this is rediculous. We ordered a replacement board today. I suggest you laminate the board, then adhere it to a sanded cutting board if you want it to last longer than a week. You can even get creative and paint the cutting block with yours and yours childs' names painted mario style on each end of the board to personalize it and make it fun. My point is, you better get creative if you plan to get playing. Otherwise, you won't play long!!!

UPDATE 1/24/13

I just had the new board laminated at Office Depot and now IT IS AWESOME!!!!!! the first thing you need to do when buying this board is to pay $1.99 to have a protective plastic coating put over it and it will last forever! LONG LIVE MARIO CHESS!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Chess, February 21, 2010
KJ (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
My son found Super Mario Bros. Chess online and decided to buy it with his birthday money. The pieces are well made and sturdy. They are also clearly marked as to which type of piece they are: pawn,rook,queen,etc. I think using the Mario Bros. characters makes the game a little more fun to learn for younger kids. My son is 8 and he has been asking everyone to play chess with him since his game arrived. I think he would give it a two thumbs up and so do I.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Game, January 15, 2011
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
This is a great chess set. I would agree with the other reviewers that it is well made and each piece is detailed. I am a grandpa who is playing chess with a 8 year old who is familiar with the pieces but a novice at chess. I have to look closely at the pieces to figure out which one is the rook, queen, etc. I can see the day when my grandson will beat me because I didn't correctly identify the piece he played. Just a warning to parents, it takes some time to get used to the pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars High price - but worth it, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
I debated buying this several times, but the price always kept me away. I finally took the plunge and bought it, hoping it would interest my 7 year old son in chess.

And it worked. He absolutely loves playing this. The pieces are quite durable - they are good enough to be stand alone figures if they weren't attached to their bases.

It takes a little while to get used to what figure it what (Luigi is the queen??) but once you figure it out, it becomes second nature.

The board gets very crowded - Bowser is huge, so its often difficult to see open diagonal paths.

The bottom line is that if your kid loves Mario, then they will love this. I've recommended it to several friends and while it is a bit pricey, it really is worth it.

It comes in a nice tin that protects the game pieces.

You might also check our Mario Yahtzee - it is quite good as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mario on the board, December 27, 2010
S. Lopez (Pembroke Pines, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
This was given to my six year old. He likes playing chess and loves Mario. The combination is great and the pieces look wonderful! The detail work is amazing. But I don't care for the board. I thought it would be sturdier but it is only cardboard. It folds in four and that I know will not last too long. I also wish there was a better storage for the pieces. The plastic that it came in will eventually break and the pieces will be thrown around in the tin.
Overall pretty neat.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, June 25, 2010
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
This toy is super cool. I purchased it because my 2 boys (ages 6,3) are obsessed with Mario. I looked at the sets of action figures and they were so Expensive, this set has it all. I have been OCD about the kids keeping the parts together on this one. My 6 year old learned to play chess with this set overnight, he just loved the characters. I will give one warning, every single Male (my husband, brother, and Dad), was very bothered by Luigi being the Queen. I don't know why it got to them, but that's all they could talk about. Luigi is the Queen for Mario's side and Baby bowser is the Queen for Bowser's side. Although Princess Peach and Daisy are also pieces they are not the Queens. Anyway, enough with my crazy family. My kids love the set, and they like to play with the characters, and I would recommend this set to a anyone who has a Mario lover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Figurine Focused, March 8, 2012
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
I am a big Nintendo fan, so having this set of figurines is fun in itself. They are well made, with nice expressions and poses, and seem relatively durable. The game of chess, however, seems secondary. The included board does not live up to the quality of the figures or the metal case. Some of the figures are also a bit bulky to fit on their spaces, or have illogical roles (Luigi as queen?). Still, chess can certainly be played, with frequent checking of what the pieces are supposed to be, and chess is fun.

If you have a Mario fan (or are one), this is a fun set of figurines that you will likely find a good value for the price. If you are just looking for a good game of chess, this is the wrong castle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Set of Mario Figures, February 26, 2010
Karen "KK" (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin (Toy)
My son is having a Mario party for his 7th birthday. I was trying to do a Mario cake, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I decided that I would get a cake from Costco and decorate it with figures. But then, I had trouble finding the figures! This chess set is the perfect answer! There are 32 chess pieces- all Mario themed! Mario and Luigi are king and queen for the red side; Bowser and Bowser Jr. are King and Queen for the other side. Bishops are Princess Peach & Daisy vs. Magikoopa; Knights are Yoshi vs. Birdo; Rooks are Toad vs Goomba, and Pawns are Coins vs. Green Shells. Each piece is set on either a green or red base with the name of the chess piece embossed on it. My son is going to go crazy when he sees all the figures on his cake! And then he'll have a really fun chess game to play when he's not playing with the figures. The only slight negative about this set is the board which folds into quarters and may have the potential to come apart with time.

Super Mario Chess Collector's Edition Tin