Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 28, 2009
This book is an excellent guide to going green. The author covers toxins in foods, bottled water, toothpaste, furniture, paint, cosmetics, and lots more. Most of us never dreamed our houses and lives were so full of toxins. The book takes you through each room of your house with information about all the things you need to watch out for and there are suggestions about how to correct the problems. The book has a huge amount of info crammed into its pages and this review doesn't begin to do it justice. I plan to use it as a reference and I know it's a book I'll keep coming back to. It should be on everyone's bookshelf.
on April 21, 2009
Have you ever gone to the grocery store and heard someone complain about the expense of an organic food? You might run into them a few minutes later in the meat department selecting a 12-ounce T-bone steak with a price tag well over $10.00. Obviously, they aren't thinking about what they are getting for their money or they'd toss that steak back and buy the organic spinach.

Most of us have grown up making the wrong choices . . . water in plastic bottles, packaged foods with long lists of unidentifiable ingredients, and cleaning supplies strong enough to take the paint off the wall.

If you care about your health and the health of those you love, you will want to buy this book and then read it cover to cover. Inside this book is well-founded information which can help us avoid many of the toxic chemicals we can't see or taste, which are putting our health at risk for diseases and even death. If you're over 40, you probably have noticed (like I have) that you know many more people who are dying of cancer than when you were younger. There is a reason for that, my friends, and the toxic chemicals in our food and home is a definite contributor to our demise.

Beth Greer has become a well-known expert in this topic, and every page of her book tells us something we didn't already know. Would you have imagined that most of our garlic comes from China, and that it is whitened with bleach and injected with growth inhibitors to prevent sprouting? Don't look the other way . . . buy this book, get smart, and get healthy!

Lynette Fleming, Coauthor of Lunch Buddies: Buddy Up for a Better Diet
on November 17, 2009
The subtitle of the book basically says it all -- improve your health, home and planet-- one room at a time. Going green and living natural seems to be a challenge to all of us, but especially for families. We want our kids and ourselves to be safe and secure. Yet we are unsure which products are just buzz in the marketplace and which products and practices really work.

Greer, who bills herself as the super natural mom is both a journalist and a holistic health advocate. Her book is divided into four sections that include a) what goes in you b) what goes on you c) what surrounds you and d) supporting information.

The foreword is written by the nationally known environmental lifestyle expert Danny So which is a nice opening to the volume.

If you want to go green and do it without lots of additional stress, this is a great book to read and follow. I personally loved the part about cosmetics and enjoyed following the author's advice as I updated my makeup and got into the pink as I went green at least in that part of my life!

Fun advice like Feng Shui tips and where to buy products is sprinkled thruoghout the book so it's easy to read in sections. Just remember you CAN get started one room at a time. Great gift to give for a wedding shower -- add some of the green products that the author recommends to a natural basket you can give to the bride and groom with pride. So politically correct!
on August 22, 2009
This book was very interesting to read. However I cannot endorse an author who makes assertions without citing her sources. This woman is an investigative journalist, so surely she has heard of crediting her sources. Over and over she stated information that may very well be true (i.e. "this product contains such-and-such chemical, which is linked with cancer, reproductive disorders, mutating DNA, blah, blah, blah.") Well, linked by what study, at what research institute, by what scientists? There are no footnotes that would enable me to look things up for myself. Since Beth Greer does not have a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Human Biology, or anything that would give her authority on the subject of how these horrible chemicals effect us and our families, why should I believe that she is not just making stuff up? Similarly, much of her "evidence" is anecdotal, as in "I was talking to my friend who made this change and reaped wonderful health benefits." Hardly a clinical trial.

If Ms. Greer had related the same information with footnotes documenting how she knew this, I would gladly give this book 5 stars. As an alternative I would reccommend "Easy Green Living" by Renee Loux. She uses extensive footnotes, and even though I have no intention of looking up every single one, I know that I could.
1010 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2009
I borrowed a copy of this book from my local library. Before I finished reading it, I cleaned my pantry, refrigerator, cubbards and medicine cabinets of 80% of the harmful chemicals mentioned in this book. I love this book because the author does not preach to you. She states the facts and provides practical ways for everyone to go green. Now that I've completed the book, it's tabbed so much that I will have to purchase my own copy. I'm also giving them as Christmas gifts to all my family and friends.
on March 13, 2014
I got this book in response to an ER visit from new furniture. It has shown us cost-effective ways to keep formaldehyde out of our bodies. I really like that Greer states she is not a doctor or that she does not know it all - she has researched. This book was my jumping off point to do my own research. This book has some great features including: a test in the beginning to see how green your lifestyle is, lists for purchasing greener products and references for further research.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to make their life a bit or a lot greener. It details plans for purchasing better items and gives step by step assistance as this type of shift does not happen overnight.
on July 14, 2014
This is a great book! I picked up many, many tips and have implemented the recipes for home-made cleaning products. I have tried very hard for the past few years to keep chemicals out of our home as I am a FIRM believer in the harm they do. I read this book a few years ago and it was one of the first steps I took in understanding ways to go about living in a healthier home. Highly recommend!
on September 13, 2009
I feel that Beth Greer has written this book for the average person, in the average person's language ... NOT the chemist who might be looking for more of a text book. This is real life 'stuff' spoken in everyday language! As a former owner of a home inspection company, I've had lots of training in environmental 'enemies' and I know the importance of knowing a little about those enemies. Most people do not want to know too much, they would just as soon hire an expert to help when needed, but Beth arms you with enough information so that you can take steps (large or small) that add up to huge benefits. Congratulations on communicating information to benefit the masses, Beth! It is much appreciated.
on August 20, 2014
This is one of the favorite books I purchased this year and I read at least two books a month. Very thorough and easy read. It is also a great reference book you can refer back time and time again. I admit that following every advise on this book is impractical, but the awareness you gain from reading this book helps you make better, informed decisions about what you consume on the inside, out and around you! Highly recommend it!
on August 5, 2012
When I got pregnant, I began looking into natural lifestyle choices. I wanted a book that had all the information I needed in one place. This book was exactly what I was looking for! It provided many ways to easily change your life for the better. Like the title says, it literally has tips for every room in the house. Great book. Plan on giving this to all my friends!