Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Mini|Change

on April 5, 2015
 The new Kaytee Silent Spinner wheels have been replaced with inferior quality.

After purchasing one, that works superbly I went out to Petland Discounts to get another one.
I noticed, that the wheel was unable to move, even after two mice got on it and tried to push.

Thinking, that I might have gotten I dud, I went out and purchased another one. This one also didn't work.
I thought it was that they needed to be worn in a little, but even after a week it didn't make a difference.

Then I noticed that the wheel part itself is made of a different design. You can even check them yourself.
The old model has TWO openings in the ball bearing part .. The new model has FOUR.

I went to two more pet stores here in NYC, and found that there were no more of the working old model.

Furthermore, the Kaytee Silent Spinner advertising is false .. It says that it uses patented ball bearing technology on the box.
After opening the new models, you can actually see that it in fact .. Does not have any ball bearings in it.
The old models had ball bearings.

I uploaded a video of the comparison of the NEW(left) and the OLD(right)
-- Rotating http://goo.gl/XPfXai

Here is an image of the parts, OLD(left) and NEW(right)
-- Disassembled parts http://goo.gl/JxuEpn
-- Rotating part http://goo.gl/2DTTuo

OLD (working) Version
-- Rotating part test http://goo.gl/owYqIE

NEW (inferior) Version
-- Rotating part test http://goo.gl/JxuEpn
1212 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2015
 The new Kaytee Silent Spinner wheels have been replaced with inferior quality.

The old models had ball bearings.

I uploaded a video of the comparison of the NEW(left) and the OLD(right)
-- Rotating http://goo.gl/XPfXai

Here is an image of the parts, OLD(left) and NEW(right)
-- Disassembled parts http://goo.gl/JxuEpn
-- Rotating part http://goo.gl/2DTTuo

OLD (working) Version
-- Rotating part test http://goo.gl/owYqIE

NEW (inferior) Version
-- Rotating part test http://goo.gl/JxuEpn
on April 7, 2006
I own this wheel for my hamster and I have to say it's the best I've owned ever. It IS silent. But here are some tips to get the best use out of it.

1. Make sure the wheel's stand is on top of a layer of bedding on a flat level surface

2. After some time, the wheel will begin to rattle a little. This is because of the loosening between the colored and white part. To fix this, just put tape along that crack all around the wheel (make sure it's tight!)

3. Setting the wheel at a diagonal angle against a corner is sufficient for not letting the wheel move and the sides hitting the side of the cage.
on May 31, 2009
I've had this wheel for about 2 years and it is still operating flawlessly. It has an appealing look, runs silently, and smoothly, which is important for faster running pets.

Many people have complained about it breaking, but that has not been my experience. If you have a larger rodent you may try getting a bigger wheel. For reference I attached it onto a wire cage and have never used the stand that came with it.

Edit: Read this if your wheel is breaking. As my review already says I have had a silent spinner for over 2 years without incident. However now I have two mice, two cages, and, of course, I bought another silent spinner. It broke after just a few days. After some inspection I realized that the problem was that the new cage had thicker bars, which were putting pressure on axle.

I went back to the store and exchanged it for a new one. With a 5/64" drill bit I widened the opening slightly. Since then it has worked without incident.

I still feel this is a great wheel. Basically if the wheel is hard to attach onto the bars you should perform this simple modification to keep your wheel safe.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2008
This is a great wheel. I sleep next to my Robo hamsters and the wheel never wakes me up, it is silent. I put newspaper under the carefresh bedding I use and it never touches the glass to make tapping noises. It does stay where its supposed to and gets used to the max. The only con to this wheel is if the hamster stops on the wheel suddenly it will flip around the wheel 10 times before flying out. Speed regulator would be nice.
on April 6, 2015
Why did I give it 1 star? As of 2015, these things no longer have ball bearings. It SUCKS. I thought it was to big for my hamster. But I just took it all apart. It has no bearings...and just runs on a metal screw and plastic. My hamster cant get it going. And is always stuck. As you can read all the "2015" posts say hamster cant start. Well hey guys I found your problem....take it apart.

Why 1 star? False advertisement. Not cool.
on February 8, 2012
The internal bearing can get rusty if you immerse it in water. Don't! Besides that, the wheel works great. I am not annoyed by how often you need to clean it like others said... it's a good reminder to clean the cage :) I wish we didn't ruin two wheels by immersing them in water :(
review image
on March 6, 2015
These wheels USED TO BE high quality ball bearing construction. Now the "bearing" is cheap plastic garbage and it does not spin smoothly. I purchased THREE of these wheels from three different stores, trying to get a good one. None of them are good anymore. I have two silent spinners that I purchased 6 years ago and those are still perfectly smooth running. Too bad... another company cutting corners and making poor quality products that used to be good. NOT RECOMMENDED ANYMORE.
on April 7, 2015
THE NEW DESIGN DOES NOT WORK.

Please look at this review:

I have purchased this not less than a week ago. My Robo Dwarf Hamsters cannot spin the wheel... It should be EASY to spin and should continue spinning. Mine does not do that. I purchased TWO silent spinners and I would say I wasted my money on this. Do not purchase. If you are going to purchase go to a store and check it out at a pet store and make sure the spinner continues to spin or should rock back and forth with no effort.
on February 10, 2011
This is our third or fourth hamster wheel for our Roborovski hamster. Metal wheels have grown squeaky and plastic wheels have developed rattles (and sometimes squeaks, mysteriously). I believe every single one of them started out silent so I decided NOT to review this wheel right away and state the obvious. Instead I have waited 2 full months and am evaluating it now when it means a little more.

After two months of using this wheel I am beginning to believe that the days of constantly oiling and replacing squeaky wheels are over. This wheel is still perfectly squeak free AND rattle free. In fact I am now finding myself needing to get versed on CLEANING a hamster wheel because we finally have a wheel that lasts long enough to get dirty. That's a much better problem to have then being woken up in the middle of the night as your child's nocturnal rodent's wheel creates noises that either sound like a primate playing a bongo or a paradoxically dissonant solo.

Side note on Robo(rovski) hamsters: they are small and light but they run very, very fast so they can cause quite a bit of wear on wheels. Our local pet store had a "hamster derby" and ours was the only Roborovski and was so much faster than the big hamsters he was down the track and all the way back before the other hamsters were halfway to the end. I think our hamster is totally typical of Robo's so if you are a robo owner and surprised that tiny little guy is wearing out wheels left and right I feel your pain. I, too, have gotten out of bed at 3 AM innumerable times to oil squeaky wheels that I haven't gotten around to replacing yet :) (or brought myself to replace already!)

Hope this is helpful!

UPDATE 1/23/12: After over a year of continuous use this wheel is STILL totally silent!