Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

I loved this book. I have written well over a hundred reviews for Amazon, and I have read 8,000 books in my lifetime. I simply cannot tell you how much I enjoyed Super Rich: A Guide to Having it All. Very simply, a book like this has influence, and it can help you change from where you are, to where you want to be. The author Russell Simmons is known as the godfather of Hip-Hop. He didn't rap himself, but he created Def Jam Records, a leading label in the industry and ultimately brought to life many of the rappers you know today, including Public Enemy, LL cool J, Ludacris, and Jay-Z. The man has made a couple of hundred million starting with nothing. He is therefore someone who should be listened to seriously. He doesn't just talk the talk, he has walked the walk.

In this book Simmons takes us through what he views as his spiritual journey after taking the business world by storm. The title Super Rich may not be appropriate because most of us would think we are talking about money, but he is not. Super Rich to Simmons involves spiritual richness. It involves the state of consciousness you are currently in and how to transform yourself, so that you can see the miracles of life unfolding right there in front of you. As the author likes to point out, you don't need money and toys to be truly happy.

The key to life is to break free of the boundaries that you have either imposed on yourself, or allowed to be imposed on you by others. Get rid of the constraints or feelings of the need for money and toys. Keep in mind this is coming from a man who lived in a 50,000 square foot house. He's telling you to give it up, and get with a new program. You're already rich if your SPIRIT IS RICH. He believes that each of us has a gift given to us by God. It is crucial to identify your gift, and pursue it in every way possible. If you do not pursue YOUR gift, you will suffer. It's as simple as that. But wait, there's more. You must take every opportunity to share your gift with the world, and don't worry about receiving money for it. The money will come. It is the residual product of the sharing of your gift with everyone who passes through your life.

There's just one more absolutely vital point that I think he's got nailed down. If he was sitting with you in a room and looking at you right in the face, he would tell you to STOP MAKING EXCUSES. You have to go do what it is you are supposed to be doing, and only YOU know what that is. So go pursue your happiness, and forget about pursuing the money. Time is short, and life is not a dress rehearsal. There are no second acts, and thank you for reading this review.

Richard C. Stoyeck
44 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2011
Overall, I enjoyed this book and found some great nuggets of wisdom and inspiration. That being said, I found myself getting hung up (or tripped up) with Russell's frequent use of the 'N' word throughout the book. It was distracting and took away from the impact the book could have had on me. One of Russell's themes is that we are all from the same devine source, try not to judge or label others. Then, the 'N' word pops up and completely destroys the meaning. He even uses the word when telling a great story from Eastern spiritual tradition. It doesn't fit/work. Now I realize that I may not be Russell's target audience (I'm a white 30 something), however, the book trys to 'bridge' the gap and bring people together. The use of the 'N' word gave me a sense of separation.
44 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2011
If you think this book is a step-by-step guide to material success, or business, you'll be disappointed. Instead, Simmons will teach you his method of success that brings you true riches and inner peace. True riches being defined as finding your hidden potential, making a positive impact on the world, and being happy with life. However, learning the secrets that lead you to true riches, will also manifest itself in business, financial, and personal success. You will see that when you take the focus off your own success, and care about the success of others, that positive things will happen in your life. You will find favor with others and doors of opportunity will open.

You may not agree with his personal spiritual journey, or the advise he shares in his book, but the book has a way of halting the fast-paced world we live in, and it will help you to think, and focus on the things that matter the most. No matter what your religious affiliation, I think you will walk away with a need to adjust your priorities and goals. Money will become a tool to do good, and those that give will get more to do more for the world. As this cycle grows, you may find yourself one day among the SUPER RICH.

James Garton
Author of 25 Ways to Make Money Online
on January 13, 2011
Having read almost every book in the personal development/spirituality section of the book shop I wondered what more Russell Simmons could possibly add to this subject matter that hasn't already been said. Following on from the success of Do You! @UncleRush takes us deeper into the art of spiritual practice. Throughout Super Rich: A guide to having it all, he uses real life examples to help us grasp particular scenarios, then spells out very clearly how suffering can be encountered in that situation, or as he advises we can simply choose to relieve the suffering of others. I stayed up all night reading Super Rich, and anticipated each new page as I eagerly flicked through the small hard back book. There were many a "aha" moment when I simple sat there allowing the last statement to resonate on a level which can only be described as that of resounding truth.

Though the super rich himself Russell Simmons doesn't share a business plan for your own success, he does however impart priceless gems on the ingredients necessary for all success. True riches are defined as finding your hidden potential, making a positive impact on the world, and being happy with life. However, learning the secrets that lead you to true riches will also manifest itself in business, financial, and personal success. You will see that when you take the focus off your own success, and care about the success of others, that positive things will happen in your life. You will find favour with others and doors of opportunity will open. He even shares advice on how to handle previous relationships amicably, from a place of unconditional love. Bet you didn't think that had anything to do with being super rich now did you? Don't get me wrong this book's not airy fairy, it's essentially about finding your gift and figuring out a way to express that gift and share it with the world. You're already rich if your spirit is rich. He believes that each of us has a gift given to us by God. It is crucial to identify your gift, and pursue it in every way possible. If your gift is not pursued you will suffer, he warns. You must take every opportunity to share your gift with the world, and don't worry about receiving money for it. A strange paradox, but Simmons reassures us the money will come. All the other stuff is just "noise" says Simmons, which must be ignored as we lose ourselves in what we're most passionate about.

Russell Simmons describe the toys which many wealthy people surround themselves with also as "noise" and redefines success as not financial, but as a combination of consciousness and compassion - the "Two Cs". At times Uncle Yogi gets a bit deep as he expresses his view on us having the same calmness at a funeral as you would when watching a baby smile. He's probably at a much more advanced stage of enlightenment than me, but that sounds like a bit of a stretch for anyone, even Mother Theresa who he said at times questioned her own relationship with God. The message though is to break free of the boundaries that you have either imposed on yourself, or allowed to be imposed on you by others. Get rid of the constraints or feelings of the need for money and toys. Keep in mind this is coming from a man who lived in a 50,000 square foot house. He's telling you to give it up, and try a new approach.

The Sanskrit and Bhagavad quotes are great; however it would have been refreshing if the quotes came from a variety of sources which have inspired Mr. Simmons over the years (as with the stories) rather than from one area of his life, yoga. Having said that it's still my favourite book of the year so far and one I'll be encouraging my sons to read. This book has the ability to raise the consciousness of a generation.

peppergrain.com
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2011
I've been in personal development for many years and I'm always on the lookout for new books to consume. Sometimes I become a bit cynical by uttering the words "I already know that or I've heard that before" and this actually blocks me from going deeper with the subject. I finally realized until I DO...I Don't.

I had the opportunity to read Russell's first book Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success and immensely enjoyed the book. However, Super Rich is an entirely different kind of book that knocked me off my feet for many reasons. It's not that the information is new as Russell shares in the beginning of the book, it's because this is one of the first time I've felt validated in many of my thoughts. To be Black in America means to be constantly bombarded by religious dogma. Since I've been fully engaged in reading books from the likes of Dr. Wayne Dyer, Byron Katie, Deepak Chopra, Neale Walsh, James Redfield etc. I have long since gone through a door of higher consciousness than I cannot go back through and have no desire to do so. This is often a lonely path for a Black man in America in my experience.

So when I hear a brother speaking on transcendental meditation (TM), the yoga sutras, and practicing yoga the hair on the back of my neck stands up. When I hear of him speak about detaching yourself from the outcome I feel completely aligned with source. When I hear him speak about giving with no expectation in return I know this to be true in my heart. When I hear him say "give your best away until they can't live without it" those words immediately resonate as true for me. Rarely have I heard a Black man speak such eloquent truths for all the world to see.

Some of the brothers that I admire such as Will Smith and Michael Bernard Beckwith have greatly impacted my life and Russell Simmons ranks right up there among them. In his book he is able to have two sermons with me, one that appeals to my higher self and one that keeps me rooted in the real world.

I've always felt that I was a giver and to actually be admonished to give my best things away for free was very freeing. (no pun intended) As a result of reading this book I have started to meditate at least 20 minutes a day and I will enroll in a Yoga class. I want to do this because I now realize more than ever the power of stillness. Becoming still allows me to become intimate with myself while drowning out the noise of the outside world. I use to feel like I didn't have time to meditate and that I was too busy. Now I realize that it is foolish to not make time for one of the most important activities of the day - connecting with my Higher Source.

Yes, we are all already rich and we have it all. The problem is that we don't realize how rich we already are and how much we already have inside of us. I know that I could live to be 1,000 years old and never come close to tapping my full potential. I was taught that we are all of it and it is merely up to us to choose which part of the all we wish to experience. Russell reminds me of this eternal truth.

Being Super Rich is a state of consciousness. It can also be that new Bentley that sits in your drive way in front of your multi-million dollar home. The two are actually inseparable. The problems lies, as Russell explains in his book, when we become attached to those things believing that they will somehow bring happiness to our lives.

To me what Super Rich says is to stop chasing things and become the type of person where the things you want will chase you. This book is not meant to be about money (although it could be). This book is not meant to be about religion (although it could be). This book is not meant to convince you to think or believe one way or another. (although it could do just that). This book to me is meant to be a resource to get you to look inside yourself and then to ask yourself what is your Dharma (purpose) in the world and what is the best way for you to fulfill that by helping other people.

Thanks Uncle Rush for a wonderful masterpiece that I will cherish and put into practice for many years to come.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2015
 "I'm going to hit you with what are essentially two sermons. The first is that in order to be truly happy and realize the full potential of your life, you must always try to move toward enlightenment. A state where you are fully conscious of and connected to the world around you and the God inside of you. Where you walk through life with a smile on your face and give without expectation. The second is that the road to enlightenment is paved with gold! This is because when you're truly conscious and give without expectation, you'll be so attractive to the world that every toy, every material possession, will find its way to you. But here's the thing: The more enlightened you become, the less interest you'll have in those toys. You might like to hold them for a second, but you won't be interested in holding on to them. Because your connection to God will remind you that you don't need any of it!"

~ Russell Simmons from Super Rich

Russell Simmons. Part vegan-yogi. Part pop icon. 100% awesome.

While getting inspired by Simmons' wisdom, I literally laughed out loud a number of times-- appreciating the audacity with which he shares some deep spiritual truths in the language of hip hop.

Somehow Simmons pulls it off and it's really inspiring to imagine his playful yet serious style inspiring people who otherwise might not be into stuff like meditation, yoga, and veganism to live more spiritually connected lives.

Here are some of my favorite Big Ideas:

Get on the Right Train - It's as simple as that.
Stillness - It's the fertile soil for goodness.
Junk Mail in the Mind - Gotta clean out the inbox, yo!
Slow & Steady - Is the key.
Mental Muscles - How to get ripped.

Here's to rockin' the "Two Cs" (Consciousness and Compassion) as we serve the world, my friend!

To find 250+ more reviews visit http://bit.ly/BrianReviews
on February 2, 2011
I generally liked the messages in this book. As a person seeking different ways to express my spirituality I found Simmon's point of view refreshing and in line with some of my own beliefs. His discussions of yoga and meditation are inspiring although at times you feel like he is "selling" the ideas to you. My biggest gripe about the book was the use of the "N" word several times. I am aware that Simmons uses this word but was quite surprised to find the word used in the book. In discussing enlightenment and bringing people together, that word doesn't fit (and I am black). Good ideas, yes. Well written, no. But ovearall I was inspired and I think that was the point!
on March 24, 2011
Rush did o.k. with his message but there seems to be no meat (no pun) with him being super vegan and all. I knew the book wasn't about becoming rich but it just seemed to push a lot of Buddism and Yoga a whole lot. The book just began to get really monotonous and it seemed as Russell was just rambling towards the end. There is nothing that is in this book that is not covered in books like Think and Grow Rich or "Who moved my cheese" or any Holy Scripture. If you are interested in different types of Yoga, meditation and are interested in becoming a vegan, I would say read it.

J
on September 12, 2014
I had no clue Russell was so deeply involved in finding one's higher self. He has inspired me to find more time for yoga and meditation. I feel different after reading this book. I feel more compassionate. I'm ready to GIVE of myself.
on June 10, 2012
I change my mind about the book and returned it to Amazon.com. I saw Mr. Simmons on television and his mouth was so dirty, the names he was referring to women as. At that point and time I did not feel I had to read anything this person had written about. I do't care how spiritual he appears to be, he do not know how to address a women. All came out of his mouth were they were b----es.