Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on January 1, 2014
Sanctum is a franchise known for enhancing the TD (Tower Defense) formula with an FPS (First Person Shooter) twist. Super Sanctum lives in the same universe but with a more traditional TD formula. Appropriately, as they've rolled the mechanics back to simpler times, they've also adopted retro graphics. This is a fairly tough game, not really for the strategically uninitiated, but it is fun and well-designed, so I highly recommend it to any true strategy fan. Especially if you like games like Defense Grid and Tower Raiders, you'll like this.

Out of the gate in the summer of 2013, Super Sanctum TD had a terrible launch. It was ridden with loads of minor bugs, some game breaking memory errors and annoying achievements that wouldn't register. Despite all the trouble, I couldn't resist playing it all the way through. Even at its worst I loved this game. The devs worked to patch it up (and it runs fine now), and I hope they continue to invest in this junior franchise. I'd pay out the nose for more levels.

In addition to the basic Tower Defense mechanics, Super Sanctum TD adds in perks and abilities to make the play a little more rich. Perks affect weapon, ability and economic power, and you get a new perk for every level you pass. Abilities are non-tower weaponry you can deploy in a pinch but have to wait for them to recharge before you can use them again.

Tower and enemy diversity is rich, and some of the enemies are really tough, even before you get to bosses. Watch out for healers, and one enemy that only takes damage when shot from behind. You can adjust your tower targeting priorities (for example, have some towers targeting first enemy, others targeting the strongest, a common strategy to deal with bosses) and there are lots of interesting mazing possibilities on many well-designed levels.
on November 12, 2015
I'm not really a tower defense game fan. Of the titles in the get me that I have played, I've found them rather boring. And annoying, tower defense represents about 30%of all mobile game titles. But having played this one, I wasn't completely bored by it.

In actuality, I'd assume that fans of the genre would actually really like this, because the core gameplay is quite smooth and refined.

This is made by the same developer who would go on to make the much better known Goat Simulator. This game has absolutely nothing in common with that game. Instead, this is just a straight tower defense game with a retro aesthetic. It feels like it was done on a shoe string budget. And it can be had for as little as 50 cents on sale. Which is more than a fair price for it.

The actual gameplay ramps up pretty slowly, birthdays just part of the genre I think. It does let you upgrade how you want to though, and there's quite a few upgrade trees. So I assume that you could get quite involved in how later maps play out.

But like I've said, I'm not a fan of the genre. So I'm not the best judge of what makes a good tower defense over a bad one. I do know in the hour that I played of it, I did have fun. I maybe didn't really want to keep playing it, but I did enjoy the time I put in. And I didn't spend very much on the game, so I think I got my money's worth out of it.

If you actually like tower defense games, then certainly recommend picking it up. It's the best one that I've played so far. And especially if you can get it as cheaply as I did.
on April 25, 2014
I purchased this game a few weeks ago and aside from having steam acheivements, this game is really really fun for little 15 minute game sessions. The graphics are really basic but it will work an pretty much any machine and works well with windows xp.
on December 23, 2013
One of the better traditional TD games out there. At no stage did it feel too easy or too overwhelming. The 8-bit graphics can either appealing or an eyesore depending on your tastes. I quite liked it.

Having played a lot of TD games out there, this would rate in my top 10.
on August 31, 2014
For a game as inexpensive as this, it's incredibly addicting and fun. Not bad at all for the price. Give it a try, especially if you stumble upon this game while it's on sale on Steam. I bought it there for 39 cents!