Super Scribblenauts
Price:$16.51 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
Since I never played the first Scribblenauts game, I didn't know what to expect when I ordered this one. I'm happy with what I got! I had hoped for a game with a central storyline, where I would be progressing through increasingly difficult levels by conjuring up objects to help me along the way. It turned out that wasn't the case at all, this game is just a big collection of unrelated puzzles, with easy and difficult ones all jumbled together. Once I got over this initial disappointment, I had a lot of fun with it.

Basically the idea is that for each puzzle, you have to create objects to accomplish a certain task. For instance, you might have to come up with something that will put an angry lion to sleep, cause a dinosaur extinction, or appease a hungry bear. You may also have to conjure objects that you can perform actions with, like a car to drive or a shovel to dig with. You also might have to use adjectives to complete a puzzle, like populating a scene with scary horror monsters by creating an "evil puppy" or a "zombie giraffe." The game will produce (nearly) anything your brain can come up with, so you can go as mundane or wild as you want with it. This is strictly a puzzle game, so if you're looking for heavy action, look elsewhere.

Pros:
-Super creative gameplay makes this a nice change from typical puzzle games that only have one correct answer to each puzzle
-Most levels can be replayed in "challenge" mode where you have to solve the same puzzle with three different solutions. Most puzzles have one obvious solution, but coming up with three is a real challenge in some cases.
-Different types of levels keeps gameplay diverse enough to be interesting. Some levels may require you to analyze similarities between objects to come up with parallel objects, some levels require you to navigate an obstacle course, and some require you to interact with other characters or creatures in some way. Some are extremely easy while some truly stretch your imagination!
-The "hints" system is just right, giving you a few nudges in the right direction when you need them without actually solving the puzzles for you
-Most of the puzzles are untimed, so you're limited only by your own creativity!

Cons:
-While you can conjure anything you want, the objects don't always behave in the way you expect. I conjured up a hypnotist to put a lion to sleep, but he just wandered around aimlessly.
-The game is strangely picky about which solutions it will accept sometimes. Occasionally it will accept one phrase, but not another that means exactly the same thing.
-The keyboard you use to name objects is over-sensitive. I was constantly having to backspace when it entered a letter twice.
-A lot of the puzzles have very similar solutions. A lot of them can be solved through a combination of jet packs, potions, and explosives.
-Like I said, this game is just a series of short puzzles with nothing really tying them together. This makes it a great game to just pick up and play for a few minutes here and there, but it also means it can tend to get dull quickly.
-The game doesn't seem to get progressively difficult. I would have liked it better if it started easy and got harder as you went along instead of hard and easy puzzles just being all mixed up together.

Overall, this game was a lot of fun and I can see myself going back to replay it many times. It's a must-buy for everyone who adores puzzle games!
on November 8, 2010
Verified Purchase
Super Scribblenauts took all the goods things from the original title and moved them into the new game. All of the faults I had with Scribblenauts have also been fixed. Now you are able to move Maxwell with the D-Pad, which saves a lot of mistakes that accidental stylus taps caused. Plus, the addition of adjectives -- what strange and whimsical creations you can summon!
on February 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
We bought this for a 9 year old boy. When it came, it was a Spanish version. Fine, except nobody in our house has a good enough grasp on Spanish to use the game in Spanish mode. I didn't find anything on the internet that solved the problem although the problem was reported by several users. After an hour or so of my wife and I pecking away at it, it started working in English. Weird, but it gave me some perspective what it must be like to try to use an ATM in a foreign country.

Once it was in English, our boy loved the game. He would play it for hours at a time if we would let him. It requires creativity and challenges his spelling.
on August 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this game for my niece (7 years old) and my nephew (5 years old). I was hoping that it would help my niece to increase her vocabulary, and encourage my nephew to learn his ABCs and get interested in spelling words. My niece loves reading and does not play many video games, and my nephew hates reading and loves playing video games. Well, turns out they both love this game and are having trouble sharing it, so I need to buy another copy! After a couple of days of playing the game my nephew had already improved his letter recognition. They have both been keeping my brother and sister-in-law busy helping them to enter new words into the game.
on January 16, 2011
I think I may or thought about writing a review or did/didn't...something, and I think that first one was a bad one. I have continued to play this game over the past few months since I first torched the idea of playing it at all. This game gives a person the satisfaction of having figured something out. It is a brain teaser which isn't to tough, but gives enough mystery to help your curiosity. Give your logic using a boost.

Super Scribblenauts is a game where one uses words to figure out how bring objects into a game and use them to get a star at the end of the level. Level can take seconds or even an hour or two to finish. Help Maxwell get the starlite without getting armed by animals, fire, water, and other elements in the game. You may think your created object/person is a friend, but in the level it could be a foe. How do you create a bridge which will hold wind down from a vent? Or can you fly with wings to get through the course. Will the objects be yellow? Or will they change to green the next time I fail a level?

The color changing level is my favorite level. I went through, yellow, orange, and white colors before landing on green as the saving color paint.
on November 16, 2011
Super Scribblenauts is one of the best Nintendo DS games that I have ever played. It's not the most perfect game there is on the system, but the level of creativity this game incorporates makes it almost like "the LittleBigPlanet of the Nintendo DS console" without the same amount of level creation.

Think of almost any word out there (with the exclusion of cursing), and its image will appear right in front of you after you write or type in the word using the stylus. There are spelling suggestions if a word is not spelled correctly. You can incorporate almost any [recognizable] adjective before any noun. The system will do its best to emulate that word(s) as the proper image. Hyphens nor commas in between adjectives are not necessary. Some word choices might end up emulating the same image.

For example, you can type (or free-write) "giant spotted green dragon." Putting in "large spotted green dragon" might lead to the same image. The same goes for "bazooka" and "RPG."
You can even put in "three headed mongoose," feed it "poison," and treat it with a "doctor" or a "veterinarian."
Show a "fat boy" some "extremely spicy chicken," watch him eat it, and watch him run frantically while asking for water. Treat him with "Tabasco sauce," and watch him panic even more - fun, creative cruelty.
Write "oven," get a "frying pan," and put an "egg" in the frying pan to make an omelet.
Put "dirty clothes" in a "washing machine," but don't forget the "soap" and "fabric softener."
Watch a "caveman" and a "knight" try to beat each other up. Throw in an "invisible ninja," supply him with a "shuriken," and see who becomes the winner.
The list just goes on and on. All of this can be done in the introduction screen. The music is very entertaining. You will be humming the tune in your head even after you put your DS away.

There are plenty of main levels, and they gradually get more challenging...sometimes even too challenging unless you know a lot of random history. But this keeps the game entertaining. There are also hints that can be purchased at the cost of experience points.

The best part of it all - my little brother has been able to enhance his vocabulary and spelling skills. (Yes, I got this game for him, but, as you can see, I play it a lot, too.)

Super Scribblenauts is easily a 9 out of 10.
on January 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
This game is everything the original Scribblenauts should have been! No more weird controls and accidental deaths due to it either. With all of the adjectives you can come up with, your creations will get even crazier! Is there any other game where tiny, careful, powerful, sluggish wings are a viable option for anything? Nope.

You can have even MORE fun in the Playground Start Screen now that you have adjectives to play with. The interactions are greatly improved as well. Though some of the items are repeats like in the last game.

My only gripe is that Super Scribblenauts is way too short for its own good. I would've loved to have more insane puzzles to mess around in. I guess that's what the Level Editor is for. There's even some items that have surprises. You'll have to find that out for yourself. ;-)

All in all, if you want a puzzle game where logic doesn't always make sense, Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts are the games for you.
on April 6, 2011
The following review is written by Sadie, one of my 4th grade students. We have a few DSs in our classroom and Super Scribblenauts is one of the most requested games to play. Here is Sadie's review:

Super Scribblenauts is pretty much just like Scribblenauts, only with adjectives. In my experience with the two games, this one is better and definitely more fun. In case you haven't played the original game, just called Scribblenauts, this is what it's about.

You are Maxwell, chosen by a professor to become a Scribblenaut (someone who goes on missions to help people in different situations). Some missions have more than one level. For instance, a level might ask you to hit a piñata with an object. When you complete level one, you move on to level two, and so on. You have to hit the objects (like the piñata) with a different object each time.

Now, Super Scribblenauts doesn't make you go through the really long tutorial with the professor - and that's excellent. Also, you don't have to buy levels, you earn them. When you select a level, it's set up differently. Instead of being at a castle, park, or city, the levels form a constellation.

The game is really fun and addicting. It is for the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi console, so it's portable. I enjoy this game, and hope you do, too!

Pros: It's better than the original by a ton and makes you think. This game is perfect for you if you love a good challenge!

Cons: I think that you shouldn't repeat a level just to hit, throw, etc. at something. It's really unnecessary, I think.
on December 19, 2011
I am really not a big video game fan. I would much rather my son head outdoors and climb a tree then sit and stare at a little screen. It became apparent though, that owning a DS is now an important part of kid culture and without one, he was just ending up sitting and watching other kids play their games. When I was looking around for games to purchase for him, this one intrigued me. It is hands down his favorite and it is a little bit of a learning tool as well. Although I'm not so much excited about my 8 year old shooting things with a bazooka in the game--he is actively learning to spell new words and is really coming up with creative solutions that are way more interesting than driving a little car around. I have spent some time playing with him on the game and it has become some entertaining bonding time for us.
on December 10, 2010
Verified Purchase
I never bought the first one so I can't say whether it's better or not, but I love this game. It's really a lot of fun and you honestly are only limited by your imagination. It's so fun that even my boyfriend got into playing it.

It was a little bit difficult to figure out some of the levels, but that's part of the fun. It will definitely keep any child or adult busy for hours.

I found some of the adjective levels to be a little silly. Like they'll show you a girl and a nerd and you have to put nerdy girl to complete the level.