4.0 out of 5 stars I feel somewhat statisfied
Graphic: 8.5/10
Published on March 27, 2011 by J. E. Lin

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game
This is a fun game to kill some time on the 3DS, but it's not "great". The game gets old fast, don't pay too much for it.

Graphics: 7.5/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Sound: 7/10
Controls: 8/10
Replay value: 6.5/10
Overall: 7/10
Published on January 3, 2012 by rob

4.0 out of 5 stars I feel somewhat statisfied, March 27, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Graphic: 8.5/10
I picked up 3 games (this guy, monkey ball and ridge racer) with friends and this one definitely has the best graphic. At least it looks pretty close to the console version. Animations are fluid and the colors pop out. Backgrounds are details too but please note that all moving objects, such as lava from volcano, monkeys in jungle and npc on the streets are all non-moving now, due to the capacity cut I think. The background is only a pasted picture, which is not essential to a fighting game but sometimes does feel annoying.

Game play: 9.5/10
Very solid. In fact, as solid as the console version. The frame rates are good for the most of time, and the hitting feeling of punches and kicks are outstanding. You got the full roster of the console game which has 35 characters and the balance are made well. By "balance" I mean every character has his/her own strength and weakness and there's no such a character that way stronger than others. It is a matter of your skill.

Talking about skill, it must be mentioned that the lower screen can be set for 4 moves. If you have trouble memorizing the move combination or using a hard move, you can put it in the lower screen, and simply touch that grid, your character will make that move. This is a controversial setting but given that 3ds is just a small handheld, I do like this setting because I don't have to mess up with the analog pad too much (plus, my little cousin can now use those move too, lol)

Sound: 9/10
Better than I expected. The upgrade of sound from DS to 3DS is obvious, and the game includes almost all sound effects from the console version such as the "yells" when your character do a move (hadooooooooooookeiiiiii things like that).

3D function:
It works for most of the time, you have a good sense of depth. There are clearly 3 layers: the HP bar and other icons, your fighter, and the background. There is an extra viewing angle which is 45 degrees behind your fighter. This angle gives even better 3D effect but you probably will just use to experience the 3D because it makes you very difficult to judge the distance between you and the opponent. Often times you think your kick can hit your opponent but you can't. In my opinion it is not necessary to use 3D for a 2D fighting game though, and street fighter is NOT the best to show off your new naked eye 3D devise. I think monkey ball is the best one.

Other note:
If you have big hands (as one of my friends), you may find using the L and R keys is a little hard. It won't be a big issue in other games, but for a fighting game you need very good timing and precise actions. My friend and I are at about same level in console version, however, he SUCKS in 3DS version because his fingers somewhat "stuck" in the LR keys, hahahah.

Another note: Please take care your eyes. I had my cousins, parents, girlfriend(too bad it is not plural) and some other friends try the 3D, after about 25 mins they all felt some level of eye strain. Please do not use the 3D effect for a long time and don't play when you lay on bed or in a dark room.

I haven't had a chance to test online multiplayer yet, but overall this is the strongest launch game for sure. There are some sacrifices here and there comparing to the console version, but overall it worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best portable fighter released . . ., March 27, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I find it odd that the very first reviews give this game one star for reasons that are either misinformed, or at the very least, informed by a bias toward another aesthetic. For example, one review suggests that Arc System Works' Guilty Gear franchise is the paragon to which Capcom should aspire. The review goes on to suggest that the added content should have been in the original Street Fighter IV, but what's odd is that the Guilty Gear series is the very definition of "milking" a franchise--and this process continues with the Blazblue series. And the "missing moves" argument is equally questionable. Parries are systematized solely for SF3 series for a reason: The gameplay is designed around them, while SFIV focuses on, well. . . Focus moves. Introducing the entire myriad of all moves in past iterations would be like throwing every ingredient in the kitchen into the stew--it'd make a foul mess.

Another one star review suggests that the game is a direct port of the iphone App. As a long-time Street Fighter enthusiast and owner of both the iPhone app and the 3DS versions, I can say, authoritatively, that 3DS version is far superior in terms of graphics, features, and playability. Although it features static backgrounds, the game redeems itself through genuinely well-modeled polygonal characters that manage to resemble (if not duplicate) those in the console versions of the game. This is a feat in and of itself, given the complexity of the character models (and the robust character selection).

Alternatively, the iPhone app's characters are prerendered sprites and, while pleasing to the eye, pale noticeably in comparison to the 3DS version. The 3DS version also offers a new dynamic, over-the-shoulder mode that, while gimmicky, creates a new gameplay experience.

The 3DS version offers costumes, battle figures, and other extras lacking in the iDevice iteration. And there's the 3D, which is genuinely good--particularly when executed in the standard perspective: It adds tremendous depth and makes the characters appear like action figures come alive, duking it out in a dioarama.

While not ideal given only four face buttons on the 3DS, the buttons themselves lend an obvious intuitiveness to the game that's far more appealing (imho) that the unsatisfying mashing of a touch screen (one can use in the 3DS version, too, though the touch screen is primarily for beginners executing traditionally complex moves with a simple touch of the bottom screen).

For hardcore SSF4 players, the 3DS version is the best choice if you want to get a few rounds in on the go. Though it is $40, the game is a port of its console big brothers, bringing over 99% of the frames and accuracy of the hitboxes.

The 3DS will likely be hungry for software of a while--Nintendo is gearing up for big releases later this year like Kid Icarus and the Starfox and Zelda remakes. In the meantime, SSF4 is a great game to keep you busy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Happy With This, March 29, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I haven't played the previous Street Fighter games but I have enjoyed the Tekken series. So, Street Fighter is a new game for me. After watching some Youtube videos and reading some of the negative reviews here I was a little worried I might be disappointed with this, but I gave it a shot. Well, the Youtube videos certainly don't do any justice to the actual game. It looks way better than what you see on Youtube. The characters really do pop with very rich colors and the 3D looks really nice. I'm enjoying the game very much. It's visually stimulating like most of the games are for the 3DS. I did notice an occasional slow frame rate during some combos, but nothing to cry about. I think this is a good solid fighting game. It's not quite as fluid as the Tekken games but it's not a big deal...the action feels the same. It is visually better than I expected; gameplay is pretty much what I hoped for...but nothing more. It satisfies my fix for a fighting game like I had hoped it would. The 3D characters are marvelously crisp looking and you really do sense depth which really adds to the appeal of the game. I'm happy I bought it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars it's SSF4 on the 3DS, July 26, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Until the PSP launched, we did not get many good fighting games on portable systems. The systems just couldn't handle the games, they didn't have enough buttons, and so forth. On the PSP, there were many - Street Fighter Alpha 3, Tekken 5, Guilty Gear, Soul Calibur, etc. Add Super Street Fighter IV 3D to the list of great fighters on portable systems. In fact, this might be the best one.

The best thing I can say about this is that it feels like Street Fighter. The controls can get rough, but the moves work. The combos work. The pace of the fights is correct. This *is* Street Fighter IV. Compare it to the Street Fighter IV for the iPhone - that doesn't feel right. The pace is weird. The iPhone game plays like an old portable fighter would, odd and off-putting but with the same characters and moves. The 3DS game is the real deal.

This even has all the same modes. Arcade mode is the same, and includes the car/barrel minigames. The AI seems to be the same as the console) version too. There's local multi, a training mode (with similar setup options as the 360/PS3 version, and a challenge mode with the same challenges as the 360/PS3 game (which could possibly be more challenging due to control). There's even online play, though it is all funneled through the ranking system. There are no replays or spectator modes, which is understandable.

Control in this game takes some getting used to. Both the circle pad and d-pad are competent, but the d-pad is a little more precise. You can set moves to the bottom screen, which helps for ultras and the like. It's not as good as a joystick or controller, obviously. But like I said, I was able to do all of the combos I normally do on the 360/PS3 version.

The graphics are the most noticeable downgrade. For one thing, the backgrounds are un-animated bitmaps. It's not a big deal, since you don't pay attention to the background during a fight anyway, but it is there. The game also runs at 30fps in online or 3D mode, which is significant, but as I said, the game is very playable. Turn off 3D in the options and you get a full 60fps in 1-player. The characters look amazing in this game - very close to the console version, and animated spectacularly well. This is where the computing power went and it shows.

I gave this game five stars not because it is perfect, but because it retains everything that makes SSF4 such a fun game. Not just that, but Capcom did a good job of taking advantage of the 3DS' capabilities - the 3D effect is subtle but nice, dynamic 3D view (with the camera behind your shoulder) is a nice novelty, and there are even StreetPass functions. Awesome game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't a fan before, but I am now!, May 11, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'll start off by saying that until I got this, I had never owned a Street Fighter game, in fact the only time I sat down and played one was a looooong time ago. (I didn't even know what I was playing, I was like 6)

I have always been a Mortal Kombat and Soul Caliber fanboy and didn't really give much credit to other games. I bought my 3DS without any games mostly because I didn't have any money for games. After awhile I decided to buy this as it seemed to be the only one worth checking out in my opinion.

I do not regret buying this at all, and in fact this game has turned me into a full blow Street Fighter maniac. SSF IV 3D is a significant portion of my time each day and has entertained me unshakingly.

Gameplay:
This is a very smooth fighter, and very balanced. Button mashing does not pay off here as you will probably just end up jumping around and doing weak punches. You can really learn a character and develop a technique that is beyond knowing a few basic moves (Mortal Kombat generally has that feel to it). Timing and attack choice really have weight and can make or break you when trying to pull off combos. Some characters do seem to have a few unfair advantages (Bison can fly across the map and dart right back to the other side, Adon can pinpoint you if he is close enough) but overall it is very well balanced. Highly offensive characters (Juri, Blanka, Sakura) tend to be in tight spots when they are not attacking, and defensive characters do well in the pocket.

Graphics:
From what I have seen from a bit of browsing the graphics are noticeably toned down from the console editions but for a handheld they look amazing. The 3D looks very crisp in the menus and such but because this is a fighting game you will probably give the system a fair amount of shaking, causing you to quickly drift in and out of the sweet spot. I usually play with the 3D on, but don't feel like the game is detracted by having it off. Dynamic view (over the shoulder) makes the 3D effect rather intense, but I dislike it because it causes most of the screen to be your character.

Replay:
It's a fighter, if you are getting this you probably have a *very* high expectation for replay value, and this game delivers it well. I tend to change characters around a lot in most fighters to give it a fresh feeling, but with SSF IV I played a collective 4 hours in a row with Juri and didn't get tired of it AT ALL. (I've also done the same with Cody, Ryu, Ken, Guy... you get the picture)

If you are already a SF fan I'm sure this game will deliver just what you expect.
If you aren't, I suggest you give it a try. I wasn't a fan but I really love the series now, I've gone back and played a few of the classics and older editions and love them the same.
If you are new to fighters this is probably the best out there to get started with.

In summary: Don't miss out on this, get it on whatever system you have! Doesn't have to be on the 3DS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, May 16, 2013
For a 3DS this game comes with more than what you will expect. The graphics are very clear. Allowing players to battle with random people online is excellent. This allows players to develop their skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Direction for Fighting Games, June 17, 2011
Brief summary:
When Super Street Fighter IV was released for the PS3 and 360, it proved to enrichen the experience of the already established title on next-generation consoles. The 3DS edition had much to prove and does it quite well. It takes advantage of the 3D-effects of the 3DS, which makes the experience even better. I had to play around with the 3D settings in order to find the right balance for me to the point where it wasn't overbearing. Online is another animal and can get competitive at times. New users will be able to understand the game mechanics and won't have to look too much into learning the move set. There are four moves that are already set on the bottom of the screen for new users to use (since the moves can be difficult to learn).

Score Breakdown:
Presentation - B+
-Figurines add to the experience, which can then be used to set-up your own line up to be used in Street Pass.

Graphics - A-
-Looks great as a launch title for the 3DS. 3D effect is great.

Sound - A-
-One of my favorite parts of the game. The sounds are just fantastic and explosive.

Gameplay - B+
-Fantastic fighting game that appeals to both the casual and hardcore players.

Lasting Appeal - B+
-Collecting all of the figures will take a while and many others. Online can be very competitive for some.

Overall - 8.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the 3DS, May 4, 2011
Natalie V. Galasso (Newark, New JERSEY. United States of America) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game is a great addition to the 3DS, it looks awesome in 3D and I'm loving the figures you can collect and use to fight against each other with Street-pass. You can either purchase coins to spin the wheel to get more figures or you can earn them through fights and arcade mode. Every character in the story mode/arcade mode has a story of their own. Blanka says he's doing it for his mama, to make her proud! I really can't stress how much I love the street fighter game series.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best new 3DS games!!, April 1, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Wow, where do I start!? First of all, graphics: AMAZING! The over the shoulder dynamic look is a fantastic feature. The figure collection feature is alright, fun to trade with friends. I kind of think of the trading like collecting something like pokemon cards but just on a Video Game and trading them with your friends. I recommend this to fighting fans, because I really think this is the best portable fighting game that I have ever played from DS to PSP. I never had played a Street Fighter game before but, when I seen it I just knew that. I had to have it. My favorite character that I feel is more easier and good for practice is Cammy the blonder haired woman with the army suit/one-piece bikini type of outfit. I really do like that you can change the outfits to regular, alternate one, and alternate 2 and even better, you can change the colors. I always like to have my own self expression through colors so this really helped. Now, I havent tried out the online fighting but it sounds really nice. I would like to find out if you could use the microphone to conversate with the person you are battling with. So overall, this is a really nice game and the 3D feature of the 3DS makes it even better. If you know anything about the online battling feature, please do tell me, would be much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate this Game soo hardd!!!, January 28, 2014
This game, this game right here is terrible because of Capcom's decision to put auto-blocking and touchpad movesets in a fighting game. Guile can do sonic booms 1-2 seconds after the previous sonic boom without charging making charger characters a little OP then you throw in auto blocking where all cross-up and combo moves are ineffective because the game will block all moves for you or your opponent if a button isn't pressed and you enabled auto-block. Online is cheap as ever with people using E.Honda, Guile and Blanka with Auto-Block and spamming the same scrub moves til they win and you can't do anything because with auto block on you can hit them unless you attack your opponent before they attack you. I've raged many times when playing this game, not just with people who use auto block but also against people that rage quit when their losing. Despite all this, I keep playing this game to the point where the playtime I have for this game is 220+ hours. I tell myself, I'll quit playing this game but I can't, I want to sell this game but I don't want to. Maybe because Ironic even though I hate this game with a burning passion of a thousand suns, this game is so addictive that I can't stop playing it. The feeling you get when you win, the arousal one feels when they T-Bag an opponent that is about to lose, the wrath one feels when someone picks Guile and spams Sonic Boom or Flash Kick til they win the match. These emotions cannot be found in any other game beside this dumb, annoying, terrible game that I secretly love so much!!!

ARRAY(0xa37f3750)