4.0 out of 5 stars Why sell it as new/different game?
Super Street Fighter IV AE is nothing more than Super street fighter 4 (which is already a great game!) with the 4 new characters, some updated online stuff and some 'balancing' at 34 bucks for it.

Published on August 17, 2011 by Carlos Martinez

[Update: July 30th, 2011- it's just been announced that a balance patch is coming out later this year. I put the link in the customer discussions section toward the bottom of this page. Provided that changes go in the right direction with all characters, not just Yun and Yang, I'll gladly come back and change my score for this game.]

[Update: July 14th, 2013- I...
Published on July 3, 2011 by Armando N. Roman

3.0 out of 5 stars Another year, another version of SF. Maybe they should've waited 2 years., July 3, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

[Update: July 14th, 2013- I know I promised that I'd edit my review to match the changes made when they happened, and didn't do it. I'm sorry for that, but this game is getting updates out the wahzoo. And right now I just found out that this version of SF4 is getting replaced in early 2014 with Ultra Street Fighter IV. It was announced at EVO, earning a lot of groans from practical people. So...you can get this version now and get in some good practice...then go and buy another version in a couple of months, just like most of us did. :p]

Here we are again- version number 3 of Street Fighter 4. Granted, we all saw this coming, and by this point, the only people interested in the game are either going to be the hardcore players or people new to the game. If you follow the likes of Mike Ross, Justin Wong, Mago and Momochi, you probably already have this game and have been reading about the chances made from Super months ago. For those not in the loop, Super Street Fighter 4 brings a couple of new features to the original SSF4 game:

-Yun, Yang, Oni and Evil Ryu are playable characters (and yet there are 2 more open slots on the character select screen!)
-many different online features were added to make things easier to follow and watch
-an ungodly amount of balance changes

Do a quick search for 'ssf4 ae balance changes' and click on the first thing that shows up, and you'll see a huge list of changes made to character moves, damage, hit boxes and more. Sadly, the balance changes were poorly done, and some characters that were already very good (Fei Long) were made even better. Some characters that barely had a chance (El Fuerte and Gouken) were pretty much made worse or the changes they desperately needed weren't given to them. But even worse, Yun and Yang really are as bad as everyone's saying. Yun was a god in Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, and he looks to be the same here. I'd never played him before tonight, but as soon as I activated his Super move, I pulled off a quick 9 hit combo just by randomly pressing a few buttons. Sad. And that palm attack of his? Good god is the hitbox on that thing insane- going through Ultras even after they connect and even working as an anti-air. Yang's really good too, but Oni and Evil Ryu are characters nearly every SF fan could've done without. Not Elena, Hugo or Oro? Not R. Mika or Rolento? We really needed these alternate version characters here? And get this- these 4 new characters don't even have Trials for you to get the hang of their basic combos, so you'll be needing to hit Training Mode a lot if you want to get them down. What gets me is how more characters is supposed to be a good thing in some people's minds. The last installments of SF2 and SF3 didn't have anywhere near as many characters as SSF4:AE, but they're still played by many today, and with many eagerly awaiting Third Strike Online's release in August. The new online features are very nice, and I don't get why it took them so long to get it right, but hey, better late than never I guess.

There's not a lot I can say about AE- you were either looking forward to this or you weren't. If you're the kind of person that's serious about fighting games, you'll pick it up no matter what. If you're new, I recommend going with the regular Super Street Fighter 4, and if you really get into it, just buy the DLC of AE. It's great that this isn't a full price new release game, but it's hard to justify buying it when the balance is so bad and that they didn't add many features. How about a decent story mode?

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Arcade Edition might NOT be the last iteration of SF4. Seth Killian, the Community Manager at Capcom, has mentioned in a recent interview that the team behind SF4 is still interested in keeping things going if AE goes well. While it's lame of them to say that so soon, hey- maybe Yun and Yang will be toned down by then.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why sell it as new/different game?, August 17, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

Its unreasonable to sell it as a different game. For some of us who already own SSFIV there is of course the 15 dollar upgrade but this game feels more like a 5-9 dollar upgrade to me. Ohh btw this does not come with the new characters costume pack or anything like that, you will still need to purchase that apart.

In conclusion it's a great game but again it's not justifiable to sell it as a different one.
Unless let's say that we never had a super street fighter 4. Let's say that we had something like a super street fighter 4 demo or something like that, in that case this would've been a great release of super street fighter 4, with the option to unlock the new characters.

It's definitively not good to have both SSF4 and SSF4AE selling at the same time (it creates confusion).

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say!!!, May 23, 2013
This game is simply superb. The more recent add-ons are the best to date and this game takes Street Fighter to a whole new level. Long Live Capcom!

5.0 out of 5 stars SSF4 AE, February 10, 2012
chris Hippolyte (MIAMI, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I love this game. Being a street fighter fan from the time of SNES, I always look forward to the next drop. My one issue is that I think Capcom released this version too soon after SSF4 (which was also released not too long after SF4). Anyway...can't wait til March for Street Fighter X Tekken.

Oh and one more thing............ONI is the TRUTH!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're a beginner, pass on this game, March 30, 2013
New York "New York" (New York City, New York) - See all my reviews
Controls: 4/5
Presentation: 4/5

Simply put, if you are a beginner to the Street Fighter series as I am, and you don't have the time to practice the moves, this game is not for you and I would pass in this game. If you have issues with your fingers, such as joint pains and inflammation, and certain it is you will have pain in your fingers when playing this game, THIS GAME IS NOT FOR YOU.

This game has 4 phases to master.

Phase 1: You need to master the moves. Every character has roughly 13 moves - normal moves, special moves, supers, and ultras. These are fairly easy to master, but some characters such as Balrog move list are hard to pull off. The good thing is most characters moves are grouped together. For example, if you mastered Ryu's move set, then you can do Ken, Guy, Fei Long, Dan, Sakura, Gouken, and Sagat. If you can master Balrog, then you can pull off Vegas' and Bisons' moves also.

Phase 2: You need to instinctively pull off Supers and Ultras in the heat of battle. So far I suck big time. The supers and ultras are hard to pull off especially when you are an inch away from the defeat and you are in the heat of battle. You definitely need an arcade stick (fightstick) for better input. Albeit, I've seen people play pretty well on the normal PS3 controller. Just shows how much I suck.

Phase 3: The combos. The arcade edition has a trial mode - each characters have 24 trials in total, where you practice each characters special moves, super, and ultras, with 10-14 trials out of 24 designed for combo execution. And my friend they are not easy. And did I mention I suck. Check out the username vesper arcade from youtube. This loser mastered all trials for all characters. Vesper Arcade mastered the game with the fight stick, PS3 and X-BOX controller.

He is a loser and I suck! Check him out here - [...]

Phase 4: Street Fighter is a very unique game. It is not a smash button, hit you first, entered my ultra before you kind of game. There is strategy involved. I dare compare it to a chess game, where every move has a reasoning behind it. So far most people I played with never used their ultra meters once full, unlike me who has not won one single game online. Suck big time!

But this is a fun game. I stopped playing for 4 weeks now, because every battle is an actual workout on my poor fingers. I would recommend this fun game to anyone except those who have a life, a job, and a family who actually wants to see them daily. If you don't fall in that category and you have immense time to kill like Vesper and i, go ahead. You will have a blast mastering this gem.

I found a website that gives detailed information on each characters and some strategy when playing the game.
[...]

A+++ game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game but HORRIBLE business methods from Capcom, May 2, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This could have been a patch but Capcom would rather bleed its customers dry.
If you only bought this game.....you got lucky and saved a lot of money.

The good:
Game play is good. Definitely the type of game to get friends over and play with them. The game is open to various game play styles.
A fair amount of characters to choose from..... but really ONLY 4 new characters even though the demand is HIGH for new characters?

The bad:
Still no major penalties for rage quitters on on-line battles.
Could have been a patch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't support mediocrity!, July 28, 2011
OS Gamer "OSG" (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Typically, updated versions of a game are supposed to have imbalances addressed and/or significant content added to justify shelling out more money. When Super Street Fighter IV was released it was absolutely worth it. The game was more balanced (not completely but got closer) and there was a ton of new content and characters added. Arcade Edition went the exact opposite direction. The characters are completely imbalanced and apparently this was done on purpose even though this was not what the fans were asking for. Also there are only 4 characters added to the mix.

If you like keeping up with the Street Fighter scene then I suppose you need to get this update. I personally think we should skip it all together just to let Capcom know this is unacceptable. If you didn't pick up Super Street Fighter IV last time I'd still recommend to go for that instead and buy the Arcade Edition DLC once they decide to fix the balance issues (if ever).

Capcom has done two things recently that make me want to reconsider before buying any of their products in the future. The first one being Resident Evil 3D Mercenaries where we could only have one save and now we have an update, to Street Fighter, not many were looking forward to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless. Worse than Super., December 27, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
SSIV Arcade was supposed to be two things above all else: (and chances are you bought it for one or both of these reasons)

1. A massive balance patch to address the ludicrously overpowered characters and give a boost to the useless ones.
2. Four extra characters--kind of a step down from Super's eight additions.

This game fails on both levels so hard, it actually does worse than if it had done nothing at all.

The balance patch is meaningless. It's as if they simply made changes for the sake of making changes, without actually giving thought into what they were changing. It's bad enough they're charging for the balance patch (a horrendous ripoff, balance patches aren't supposed to cost money, even BlazBlue released the CSII patch for CS right alongside its release so both versions would be equal in balance), and it's worse that those changes are often worse for the game. Characters that dominated not only still dominate, but some are even buffed. Others that were useless are now sometimes even worse than before. It makes you wonder where the hell they got the idea this was a good idea. Take one look at the online scene, look at who plays who, and that should be enough evidence. I wonder if Capcom even bothered to make any effort here.

The four extra characters are a total ripoff. Two are Ryu clones, plain and simple, with almost identical movesets. One is even Evil Ryu. The other two are so maniacally overpowered that your jaw will hit the floor once you go up against one of them as your main, only to get obliterated by enormous hitboxes, insane speed, and damage potential that dwarfs all other players. They're inexcusable.

Perhaps the most depressing thing throughout SFIV's career isn't so much the nonstop additions that should simply be patches, or at least just DLC, but that the game itself is simply so unbalanced that for the entire length of the series, the same characters have been useless, and the same characters have clearly been better. Little to no effort has been made to fix this very serious problem, meaning pros are all the same players. I haven't seen balance problems ignored this badly since The Flash in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, who was so obviously better than every single other player that it was a joke playing online. All the top players were Flash players, and that never changed. SSIV has its own set of top-tiers, and no one seems to be in any rush to do anything about it.

Do not buy this if you already have Super. It would be pointless, and even a little detrimental.

On the bright side, you can actually switch between Super and Arcade in the main menu. Seriously, they give you the option to revert to a previous version, both in single and multiplayer. Kinda makes you wonder if they knew all along they were just looking to cash in on the series a little more, even if their "balance changes" didn't mean anything at all.

Shameful. Just shameful. It makes me want to go back to Mortal Kombat so I never have to see another Ryu or Ryu clone again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you Capcom, July 6, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Well, the only good things I found about this "upgrade" are:

1. 4 New Characters included.
2. You can switch to regular SSF4 anytime.
3. Improved online channels.

Now the bad:

1. Out of the 4 new characters, 2 are shotokans type, more of the same.
2. No new stages, I really think Capcom should have probably include some new nice looking statges in this upgrade for instance.
3. No trial mode for AE version, when you try to do the trials the game says that it will switch temporarily to the regular SSF4 version, so that means that we won't be able to get 100% out of the new characters in the cast while in practice.
4. Battle and player points are not the same for regular SSF4 and SSF4 AE.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GAME - I play it almost everyday..., June 18, 2014
This is a great game. It's actually my favorite fighting game I ever played. There are only 2 things I don't like about it.

The first thing is: A lot of times when you play online there is a lot of lag. Everyone who has played this game knows what I'm talking about. Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, Super Street Fighter 4 2012, and Ultra Street Fighter 4 are all great to me. If they can just somehow find a way to reduce the lag that would be great. Maybe when they make Ultimate Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra Alpha Turbo Arcade Edition Fourth Strike version 2015 this problem will be solved and the game will be 100% perfect.

The second thing is: The game is really addicting. I play it way too much when I should be outside enjoying the day.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - Playstation 3