4.0 out of 5 stars Who wants a mustache ride?
Published on April 25, 2006 by SuperJenn

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss
Comedic group Broken Lizard crafted this farce about Vermont highway patrol men pulling frat like pranks while duking out a rivalry with the local police force. Super Troopers is far from sophisticated comedy; many of the jokes miss, but when they hit it ends up being hysterical. The comedy troup (consisting of Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul...
Published on April 4, 2004 by N. Durham

4.0 out of 5 stars Who wants a mustache ride?, April 25, 2006
SuperJenn (South Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Troopers (DVD)
If you have a sick sense of humor like me, you'll definitely appreciate Super Troopers. It's a very off-beat and funny little movie that shows us into the lives of a state trooper's department somewhere in Vermont. To protect and serve has no meaning here...it's about making us laugh. The plot is about this department trying to save themselves from being shut down due to budget constraints. They desperately need to prove that they are still needed so they don't lose their jobs. So they write lots of speeding tickets, but a drug bust could be their ticket to job salvation. However when you go along for the ride with these troopers, you're in for much more than car chases (yes, you get those too). You get stoned college kids (and I won't ruin it by detailing more...awesome), the repeater, meows, speeding Porsches, syrup chugging, and a ton of wacky little pranks along the way. I could go on all day about Super Troopers but I feel it's a total disservice to someone who has never seen it. I absolutely love this movie and recommend it to anyone who needs a little more silliness in their lives, who loves to laugh and who wants a different comedy than the mainstream things you typically see mass produced by Hollywood where they practically beg of you to find things funny. Super Troopers is just one of those movies I wish they made more of. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cops Rock!, July 5, 2005
Andrew "Radaar" (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Troopers (DVD)
In classic, Animal House style, this movie about a squad of bizarre state highway troopers is sure to entertain. While it appears to be what some may call "frat boy" humor, I find that many different kinds of people with a good sense of humor can enjoy this film.

Super Troopers is about a group of Vermont State Troopers, led by Capt. John O'Hagen (Brian Cox) whose department is in danger of shutting down. The governor (Lynda Carter) doesn't have a big budget to spend on police work, and the more professional local cops, lead by Chief Bruce Grady (Daniel von Bargen), are the more likely candidates to get the money in the upcoming budget overhaul. And, to the casual observor, it would be the right choice. The state cops have a tendancy to play games with the people they pull over; one game involves one cop repeating everything his partner says, while another has one of the troopers saying "meow" instead of "now" in an attempt to drive the pulled-over motorist crazy. And when dealing with stoned teens, they really have a blast. While officers Ramathorne (Jay Chandrasekhar), Foster (Paul Soter), Mac (Steve Lemme), and "Rabbit" Roto (Erik Stolhanske) do everything in good humor, the force's black sheep, Officer Rodney Farva (Kevin Heffernan) tends to go too far and get himself suspended and give the department a bad name (he jumped a fast food clerk for messing with him).

But when a murder on the highway is connected with a drug ring, the Super Troopers find a way to redeem themselves and get back in the governor's good graces- as long as the meddling local cops don't solve the case first.

This film is hilarious. While most of the humor is pretty "dumb", there are a few intelligent things here and there, but it is the sheer wackiness of it all that makes it great. The romance between Foster and local cop Ursula Hanson (Marisa Coughlan) is great, especially the prank call sequence. Although, for people who aren't into crude humor, this won't be your kind of movie. There is a lot of drug-based humor, some nudity, and gratuitous use of the f-word. If you can get past that, I highly reccomend this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Surprise, February 25, 2002
By A Customer
When I first saw the previews to this film, I felt like I stepped into a time warp back to the 80's. Was this movie trying to be Cannonball Run? Police Academy? Why? WHY?
On the recommendation of a friend, I swallowed my fears and my dislike of so-called "wacky" comedies and shelled out the cash to see Super Troopers. I was almost embarassed to even walk into the theater, but I'll tell you what...it was the best $7 I've spent in a long time.
All the other reviews of this film seem to emphasize that the movie is "slapstick," and "brainless." I'd actually disagree with that diagnosis. On the contrary, I think this is really a very smart film. Why? Beacuse it doesn't rely on formulaic plot devices, or try to squeeze in a contrived family-friendly moral(like the wretched "Orange County"). Rather, it just presents some of the most original, unexpected, laugh-out loud comedy I've ever seen. It's just plain funny--Funny beacuse you don't see the jokes, punchlines, or plot twists coming from a mile away.(Hey, "Orange County." Once again, I'm looking at you!).
If you're a fan of Kids in the Hall or the Upright Citizens Brigade, see this film. See it now. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as funny as it is stupid..., February 18, 2002
"Super Troopers" is almost as funny as it is stupid, and I've got to tell you, it's a pretty funny movie. It's the first movie that's made me laugh out loud repeatedly in the theater since "Best in Show".
The screenplay is almost non-existant, but as Bill Murray once said in "Meatballs," "it just doesn't matter." What makes this quirky movie work is the unresistable funniness of its cast. Kevin Heffernan, as Farva, is particularly funny. In his better moments, he's almost as naturally funny as "SCTV"-era John Candy. And that's saying a lot.
My all-time favorite comedies are the great ones of the late seventies and early eighties I grew up with as a kid--"Stripes," "Caddyshack," "Vacation," "Animal House," "Porky's," etc. I saw some of the wild exuberance of those movies in "Super Troopers".
Yeah, it's a stupid movie, but if you've got the right kind of sense of humor, it's a stupid movie that will make you laugh...very hard. What's better than that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the movie, not the extras, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Super Troopers [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Super Troopers is a great movie and I would have purchased it on blu-ray regardless of any bonus features. However, I must say I am very disappointed with the game Stupor Troopers. The trivia pops up at random with white text on a bright yellow background, making it almost impossible to read. Also, selecting the answers to the pop up trivia is difficult, but I am using a PS3, not a traditional blu-ray player for what it's worth. Another issue I have is that if you choose to play the game and want to leave the movie, there is no way to jump back in where you left off. I was 45 minutes into the movie, and tried to come back to it later, but I could not resume where I left off, so the rest of the game was ruined for me.
Overall, the film looks great on blu-ray, from every mustache close up to syrup chug. Regardless of my problems with the bonus features, this is a must own for any fan of Broken Lizard and particularly Super Troopers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated cast and movie, February 25, 2003
This review is from: Super Troopers [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I think it's safe to say that anyone who saw this movie saw it because of its trailer. No one had probably heard of the comic group "Broken Lizard", I'm sure of that. But then that's the point of the trailer. The five-man police team of Broken Lizard stars Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske; along with their ill-fated chief Brian Cox. The group, who's on the verge of having their station shut down, does pretty much whatever they please out on the road. I mean, they are cops. Maybe not good cops, but still cops. They do things ranging from highway games such as "repeater" to seeing who can say "meow" the most. And I can honestly say the first 10 minutes or so of 'Super Troopers' is the best first 10 minutes of any movie I've ever seen.
And even after the beginning, the comedy and laughs continue on throughout the movie. And in fact, the point that their station is going to be shut down doesn't even phase them. They just keep on making jokes until we (the viewer) can't handle it. The movie was said to have no plot, and that's very true. But a good plot isn't even needed. The acting is so awesome, you'll seemingly have a new respect for your local boys in blue. Okay, maybe not. I do have to say that Kevin Heffernan's role of the dense and almost stupid Farva is the best. He is basically the odd man out, as the other four officers are good friends. The lines that Farva has are so dumb that you can't help but laugh out loud.
Besides Heffernan's infamous Farva, there's Thorny (Jay Chandrasekhar), Mac (Steve Lemme), Rabbit (Erik Stolhanske), and Foster (Paul Soter). All five characters bring their own blend of comedy to the force, which is why they work so well together. The comedy they use almost seems to be like small skits; and they even manage to give Jim Gaffigan, who has done stand-up comedy on Comedy Central, a small but hilarious role as one of their many quote-unquote: victims.
I don't like to give away movie endings, even if the ending is not what makes the movie. So that's where I'll stop. If you like comedy films you'll certainly enjoy 'Super Troopers'. It is one of my favorite movies, no doubt. I gave it 5 stars, even though it didn't have a truly good plot. And it derserves 5 stars; which if you see this movie, you'll understand. Like I said, the five-man crew may or may not give you a new respect for the force; and if not you'll still laugh for the entire movie. If you saw the trailer and even thought about seeing the movie, do see it. The trailer provides for only about five percent of the movie's true, comical greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, July 17, 2002
"samuelperry2" (Portland, OR, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Troopers (DVD)
Okay, it does LOOK dumb. I can understand anyone's hesitation to watch this movie. I didn't think I was going to like it at all, but it was the only thing playing by the time my friends and I made it to the movie theater...so, I watched it. Thank God I did! Super Troopers is absolutely hilarious. It's the funniest movie I've seen in a long, long time. The writing is extremely funny - I especially loved Thorny - and the acting was top-notch, especially for a bunch of no-name actors. This film is definitely on it's way to being a cult classic. I, for one, just ordered the DVD and will be anticipating the moment when I can invite my friends over, pop it in the DVD player and light one up. ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest Movie Ever Watched, February 21, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Super Troopers (DVD)
This is one of the funniest movies I've seen. I at the time of watching it was going to Eastern Kentucky Univ. for Criminal Justice to be a cop. This gave me so many ideas. Needless to say to protect the innocent, I am not a cop. Farva's dispatcher character was much funnier that his actually cruiser cop character. I have a cousin who dispatchs and looks just like him. It pisses him off to no end when I make Farva references to him. Anyway, this movie has it all. Afganamation (like Anime), german swingers, alot of drugs, love story, and just plain old funny stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's delicious!, July 23, 2003
Howie Wang (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Troopers (DVD)
This is probably the funniest movie that I've seen in the last few years. I started watching it on cable with very low expectations, and I found myself laughing non-stop for the next hour and a half.
Basically the movie follows the antics of 5 Vermont state troopers who enjoy playing pranks on motorists, each other, and their arch-rivals, the local police. There is a loose plot having to do with a cache of drugs, and a sweet romantic sub-plot as well, but all these elements really take a back seat to the clever and good-natured humor.
One of the highlights for me is the opening sequence in which the troopers pull over and mess around with 3 stoner kids. After pulling them over, they take off without warning and then back up and order them to pull over again. The frightened and drugged-out kids don't know what to do since they're already pulled over. Probably the funniest section of the movie has to do with Officer Farva, the fat, belligerent black sheep of the Super Trooper family. Once he gets the opportunity to walk the beat after being banned, he immediately goes on a trail of terror that begins with his cruel and crude version of a Super Trooper prank and ends with him in jail in a homage to First Blood's delousing scene. It's a truly great comic performance.
I'm surprised that this movie is so polarizing, with a number of 1-star reviews peppered among all the raves. The comparisons to Police Academy seem totally off-base to me. Police Academy is filled with juvenile, obvious, ham-fisted gags, while Super Troopers humor is more diverse and effective. There's clever dialogue, gross-out humor, and physical comedy, and it all works really well. The criticisms that the plot is weak seem kind of pointless to me. Many great comedies don't have strong narratives (eg. Monty Python's movies, the Farrelly Bros' movies). It's really more of a question of whether the movie offers the laughs and quickly, and Super Trooper definitely delivers the goods in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid comedy and a substantial DVD, August 8, 2002
"dresneer" (Basking Ridge, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Troopers (DVD)
Super Troopers presents itself as an odd goofball comedy that has only one real purpose- to make you laugh. Thankfully, the movie fulfills this promise, and how.
Generally, movies scripted by comedy troupes can be trusted to entertain. A look at Monty Python and the Holy Grail or the Kids in the Hall's Brain Candy should validate this point. Broken Lizard (the fledgling troupe behind Super Troopers) continue this tradition of hilarious skits centered around a simple plot.
The basic premise of the film involves Vermont Highway Patrol troopers who, due to the lack of crime, find creative ways of alleviating their boredom- mainly, messing with pulled-over drivers (such as the should-be-famous "meow" scene) and brawling with the local police force.
The jokes constantly remain fresh, and the film even manages to defy the greatest of comedy film curses by never getting boring. Super Troopers is also loaded with some great gags and one-liners not appropriate enough for advertising. (Such as any scene involving the Germans, each one of them greatly funny.)
The DVD is, while not great, definately good. A substantial amount of extras are included containing several extended scenes, and alternate ending, outtakes, trailers, and shameless promotions. (The outtakes aren't what you think they are, and, I'll admit, are a little boring, but stick through it because the Farva Puking segment is priceless.)
Also included are two commentary tracks featuring members of Broken Lizard, the standard scene selections, and some rather impressive menus. (On the main menu, just watch for 30-40 seconds for the butterfly- you'll thank me.)
To sum up, Super Troopers is exactly what it tries to show itself as- nothing groundbreaking or innovational, but still an incredibly smart, and most importantly, fun comedy.

Super Troopers  [Blu-ray]
Super Troopers [Blu-ray] by Jay Chandrasekhar (Blu-ray - 2008)
$16.99 $7.99