5.0 out of 5 stars Super Why is Super Fun!!!
Published on June 16, 2009 by Isabella E. Bertelli

3.0 out of 5 stars A little advanced...
Published on December 30, 2009 by L. Prescott

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Why is Super Fun!!!, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
My 30mth old loves this game. A little long to play at his age, but it is designed for a little older age range. The four decks of cards are designed to increase literacy skills. If you draw an Alpha Pig card, you match the lower case letter on the card to the upper case letter on the board, Princess Presto cards you find the letter that the picture starts with. The last two sets of cards are a bit further along in development then he is(game is for 3+ by design), but that only means the game has room to grow with him. Wonder Red cards you need to rhyme with the words on the card, and Super Why cards, you replace the silly word with what makes sense. My husband and I assist him a lot if he lands on the last two set of cards. My son does not seem to mind and I love how educational and fun this game is. I love the great way to reinforce learned skills and introduce new ones. The best is he does not mind to wait his turn. This game not only would benefit the preschool crowd, but even K-1 remediation skills for those with delays or lack of prior exposure. I am buying a copy for my classroom for the literacy center.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, but should be marked 4 and up, not 3 and up., January 8, 2010
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
I bought this game for my two girls, ages 3 and almost 5. Both are super why fans. My three year old knows her letters and sounds, but cannot read at all. Nor can she spell. This game was way too difficult for the 3 year old. My almost 5 year old can read and the game was good for her. She loved it!

During the game, the readers go around the board and pick up four types of cards. Each type is associated with a different task. The simplest task shows lower case letter and the child must identify the upper case letter on the board. My 3 year old can do this. The second easiest task shows a picture of an object. The child has to identify the first letter or two (if a combined sound like "th" or "sh") on the board. This is too difficult for my 3 year old. The third task shows a picture on the card and the child has to find the word matching the picture on the board. This is too difficult for my 3 year old, easy for my 5 year old (she can read). The fourth task is the hardest - the child has to come up with 2 or three rhyming words. This one is complicated, as the child needs to come up with real words and would be hard for a child who cannot read. Obviously, this is too hard for my 3 year old.

I believe that reading IS required for this game. This game is most appropriate for early readers - kids who can read and are just learning to read. It is not appropriate for kids who are not close to reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Game for Pre-Readers, December 28, 2009
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
I have fallen absolutely in love with this game and so has my 3 year old:-) My son is getting really excited about learning to read by himself, and this game helps give him confidence in doing so. Although he isn't quite reading yet, this game is helping to get him there!

The children chose one of the main characters from "Super Why" to move around the game board. They use the spinner to tell them how many places to move and then draw the card of whomever they happen to land on & draw that person's card. If they land on Alpha Pig they match upper and lower case letters. For Wonder Red they rhyme words (i.e. pig & dig rhyme, say 3 more words). If the player lands on Princess Presto they point to the first 1 or 2 letters of a word. Finally, if they land on Super Why they either point to the word that matches the picture on their card or point to a word on the board that should replace the underlined word on their card.

When my son and I play it generally takes a little less than 10 minutes to finish the game, so he doesn't get bored and likes to play 2 or 3 times. Also, like the game says, "The goal of this game is to help children develop their early literacy skills...while having fun!" so helping your child get the correct answer is definitely the way to go!

4.0 out of 5 stars Know your audience?, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
My kid, at 30 months old, can watch the Super Why TV show -- and be thoroughly entertained -- he even appears to be understanding a great deal of what is going on, and sometimes supplies the correct answers at the appropriate times during the show. But in the format of a board game, he can maybe answer the questions of one or two of the characters. Obviously this is because the game is dependent on correct answers to progress, unlike the show.

Anyway... it looks like it is going to be a great first board game for my son a year from now -- I'd just also like to drop the warning (like another reviewer) that the target audience for the game might be a little older than what's on the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-made, fun game!, January 20, 2011
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
My 3- and 5- year-olds love this game! I love it, too. It's a well-constructed game with a solid board, great spinner, and substantial cards and playing pieces - unlike a lot of the cheap, flimsy games out there. This game will last for years! The simple format provides many learning opportunities for both children. My 3-year-old can't play the game independently, but then I wouldn't expect her to play alone. She thoroughly enjoys the interaction when we are all playing together, and this game is providing her with many opportunities to flex her literacy skills, along with practice taking turns and listening to others. My 5-year-old plays with more independence and enjoys demonstrating what he knows and sharing clues with his sister when it's her turn. I think this is one of the best games on the market!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little advanced..., December 30, 2009
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
My 3 year old twins really love Super Why and know most of their letters. They shout out most of the answers correctly when watching the show. They have a pretty good attention span and have been able to play most board games with help from me (Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, Memory, etc.). I am disappointed in the Super Why ABC game because it is really too difficult for them, even with help. Some of the cards are doable (like the Alpha Pig cards that ask you to point out a letter) but others really require reading skills (like showing a picture of a star and asking them to find the word "star" on the board). We will give this another try, but for now it has not lived up to the value of the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy for Super Why lovers!, October 17, 2009
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
Very cute. Lots of fun for my 5 year old. She adores the Super Why tv show, so this is a great game for her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice game for the price, definitely for kids over 3, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
Though there are 4 different "categories" that you can land on, I would imagine not many 3 year olds can fully participate in the game. There is a rhyming category that is for the older age group. It will be awhile before our daughter can actually play, but for now she does like to play with the cards and game pieces and enjoys matching the upper and lower case letters. Good game for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game that the kids like, March 31, 2010
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
This is a fun game with 3 types of cards, the manual says to put them in piles but that is too much work, we just leave them in a big pile, kind of like go fish, and pick the appropriate card when needed. Less set up time means more fun time.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 1/2 year old can't play w/o help, but we love it!, December 18, 2010
This review is from: Super Why ABC Letter Game (Toy)
This game is based on the characters and types of word games from the PBS show, Super Why. To play, you spin the spinner and move your character to a space with Alpha Pig, Wonder Red, Princess Pesto, or Super Why. You select a card based on the space you've landed on and answer a question. There are 4 types of questions: simple letter recognition (Alpha Pig), Rhyming (Wonder Red)- players provide words that rhyme with a picture on the card, advanced letter recognition (Princess Presto)- players point to the 1st or 1st/2nd letter of a word or beginner reading (Super Why)- players point to words on the board that match a picture or replace a word in a simple sentence by pointing to it. If you answer the question right, you keep the card. At the end of the game the winner is the one with the most cards. My 4 1/2 year old cannot play without help. First of all he can't read the cards he draws for each turn. Second, since he can't read he needs help to answer some of the questions (especially the Super Why cards since they are more focused on word recognition). So we play together and I help him sound out words and he helps me with letter recognition. He loves the game and wants to play it constantly. I love that the game helps him master early literacy skills and that the game is quick (unlike say Chutes and Ladders which can drag on forever!). Another plus is that the game is focused on answering the questions and not on reaching the end spot first. We have so much fun playing that we don't really even worry about who wins the game. Depends on your kid, but I'd say this game is for ages 4 and up not 3 and up as advertised. Not really a preschool game, but great for slightly older or more advanced kids.

Super Why ABC Letter Game