on September 26, 2012
I benefited a great deal from reviews. So I want to contribute this feedback to help people who suffer the same heel pain.

I suffered from heel pain and didn't know what it was. I kept buying jell shoe insert to no avail. I finally went to my family doctor who quickly diagnosed it to be Plantar Fasciitis and prescribed Superfeet. (I am not a podiatrist, so take it as it is worth: the telltale of Plantar Fasciitis is that it hurt a lot when I got up in the morning - then it became better after a few steps.) I took a look at Superfeet and didn't believe it because Superfeet was simply a "piece of very hard plastic" for close to $40 while other inserts were only $10.

Furthermore, when I gave Superfeet a try, buying exactly my shoe size, selecting a random arch, it hurt even more. Through trials and errors, I found a method that will help.

Some other reviewers wrote about ignoring the shoe size and going for the right fit of the foot arch. I cannot emphasize this enough. It doesn't matter what the size of Superfeet is, when you have the right one, the contour of Superfeet should fit the curve under your foot arch perfectly. The rest of Superfeet could be trimmed.

There are two critical factors: 1) the right arch (flat, low, medium, or high arch) and 2) the right fit of the foot from the heel forward. Superfeet has different colors for different arches. It is too much trouble to define whether you have a low, or medium or high arch. Just try on several Superfeet sizes and several colors (for the arch) until you find the Superfeet that fits your heel and your arch perfectly. The rest of the insert can be trimmed. This is difficult if you buy online. So find a store that sells Superfeet to try out, and if they have a good price, give them the business. If not, there are Amazon.com and other online stores.

There are a few more conditions to make it a success and no pain: when you trim the inserts, trim slowly. You cannot untrim what you cut too short. The right way is to trim it so that Superfeet is about 1/16" to 1/8" *smaller* than your inner sole toward the front/toes. After inserting Superfeet, you can put your hand and fingers into the shoe to feel the gap around the insert toward the front. In other words, Superfeet will need to be able to move a little - not a lot - while you walk, so that it fits perfectly under your foot. You can experiment the exact size of the insole to find out for yourself. You can always trim it smaller. Also, please remember to remove the removable insole. Believe me. I thought leaving the insole I would get some cushioning to assist this hard plastic. Not true. Superfeet needs to rest on hard sole to provide the balance you need to relieve the pain.

Hope your experience is as pleasant as mine and that you won't have to pay a lot for customed orthotics.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2009
I work out a lot, but I'm built kinda like a linebacker, and find that after doing stairmaster or treadmill, my feet are usually pretty sore in the arch area. So, I'm a prime candidate for needing more arch support, something that Superfeet are supposed to give you.

They do cup your heel just about right and follow the shape/last of the shoe well. Properly-sized, they will give you MODERATELY more support/less soreness, though they certainly don't eliminate soreness- they're no magic bullet. Still, better than other inserts I've tried.

The one thing I don't like (aside from them being a bit pricey for what they are) is that Superfeet's idea of what is a high or low-arched foot is a bit off. No matter what it says on the box, the various Superfeet models actually work out like this (as of their early '09 lineup):

Green- SUPER high-arched insoles, only good for ppl with REALLY high arches, will be torture for anyone else who has 'em on their feet for more than a few minutes. Gitmo-approved. o_0

Blue- It says "ideal for low to medium-arched feet" on the back of the box, but its more like 'ideal for medium to high' arches, actually. I have fairly low-arched (but not flat) feet, and while the blues felt okay in the store, after using them for a few days it was quite obvious that these were *not* it. I felt like I was walking around in high heels or something... definitely TOO MUCH arch support, to the point of being mildly painful. Not good.

Black- These are allegedly for 'flat or sensitive' feet. I'd say instead they're the TRUE Superfeet product for low-arched feet. These are the ones that ultimately ended up working for me, but I am annoyed that I wasted money on the blues. In fact, the salesperson had tried to talk me into the GREENS at first, even after seeing my feet, but a few laps around the store showed me the horror of that. WTH?

Basically, what I think is going on is that what Superfeet is trying to sell you is SUPPORT, so they want to get you into the highest/'most supportive' insoles they can, so that you go, "Gee, wow, what a difference, so much support."

The problem with that, of course, is that you end up basically KILLING your feet, because going too high in the arch on these things will just mess you up, ESPECIALLY if you're heavier-than-average, like me. What feels about right in the store will seem TOO HIGH after a few days, trust me.

In short, these are moderately helpful, and deserve kudos for being better than most other insoles out there, but go one support/height level LOWER than what the box tells you, particularly if you're heavier than average (muscle or fat).

Again, IGNORE THE BOX, the REAL sizing is:

- greens for very high arches
- blue for medium or high arches
- blacks for low arches (anything even slightly below medium, really)

Flat feet, I dunno, likely just a *shoe* with good arch support, no special insoles.

Hope this is helpful.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I spent a summer working on my feet 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and by September, had incredible pain in my feet. From the heels to where the arch of the foot is. So much that I was curling my feet, trying to walk on the outer edges of them to minimize the pain. I researched orthotics and found these, but decided to see my doctor first. Well I could have saved my $30 co-pay, because he recommended that I buy these from the hospital's drugstore!

It's very easy to fit these to your shoes. I just pulled out the insert that came with my shoe, and traced it onto the back of the Superfeet using a Sharpie. Then I cut it out on the inside of that line, very carefully. No problems, just don't do it hastily because you don't want to cut them too short and end up paying double.

They don't look like much, they're a relatively thin insert (compared to those 'regular' brands like Dr. Scholls that are heavily padded), so I was really skeptical that they'd have any impact. But they work! They're the only thing that's allowed me to be able to walk the 10 minutes to school without any issues. Before I used these, it was so painful just standing in the shower. I find that if I'm doing lengthy housework (barefooted) that my feet just begin to have a dull ache, especially in the heel. So sometimes I use the Superfeet designed for women's flats, and walk around in cotton flats.

I've been really surprised at how well these work. I didn't know why I doubted these to begin with, because the Dr. Scholls and others I've tried did absolutely nothing! It's been 9 months I can't imagine going anywhere without wearing these. If I'm walking for 1+ hours, my feet will ache a bit, but nowhere near where they were before. Well worth the $35, and this coming from a broke college student.
on April 23, 2012
Dont buy these online unless you have tried them on first in person! I ordered the men's 7.5-9 blue insole (I am an 8.5 shoe size). They fit perfectly into my shoe and seemed ok but after wearing them for a while, i realized that the arch was in the wrong place and it had become uncomfortable. The arch of the insole was not under my true arch (slightly too close to the heel) and after wearing them for that long i couldn't return them. I went to a store to try them in person and realized that the insole that had the arch in the right place for my foot was actually the mens 11.5-13 which is MUCH larger than i'd have expected. You can trim the front part of the insole to make it fit into your shoe, but I really suggest trying them first to make sure the arch placement matches your foot. I dont think I have weirdly shaped feet by any means, so i assume this must be a problem other people might have.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 13, 2014
Reasonable support and blue is just right for low arches but beware the sizing. If your shoe size is in the low end of the sizing range then you're OK. If you wear a 9 and the size is 7.5-9, then buy the next size up and cut back the excess material. The arch will be too far back for a size 9 otherwise.
on November 19, 2013
I purchased the Superfeet Green and loved them at first. I am a neutral runner with a medium/normal arch. I put the Superfeet Green in my running sneakers and after using them for a couple weeks I started to get the feeling that they were causing me more pain than good. I was getting pain in my arch, heel and achilles more than usual (I am recovering from achilles injuries). I decided to take them out and put in the inserts that came with my running sneakers and sure enough, the pain went away. Since I do feel I still need a little arch support I did some research on the Superfeet website and decided to purchase the Superfeet Blue, which are more low profile. Not as much arch support and the heel cup is not as deep. They definitely feel more natural than the Green did and I hardly notice them. They also don't give me the same pain I was experiencing with the green's. If you are someone who is new to insoles and don't have a high arch or only need a little arch support, you may want to start out trying these Superfeet Blue. Everyone raves about the Green's but it really depends on how much support you need on which color insole you should get.
on February 29, 2008
I was recommended these by my podiatrist for some joint issues in my foot. They've improved the way I walk immensely in the month that I've had them, and I'm in the latter half of marathon training. They hold up well, but they are not designed for wide feet. I'm a 2E-4E, and they don't take up the whole width of the shoe in the toe-box area. It isn't too bad, but is noticeable if I move my big toe the right way. Why, why, why not make the insole about a 1/2 wider at the end so this wouldn't be a problem? Just a heads up... this is not a cushiony insole. It's designed to force your foot to roll correctly.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2009
I wear these insoles daily now and I noticed my feet are no longer hurting. They are a bit pricey but are definitely worth every penny.
on September 15, 2012
I suffered from Plantar fasciitis for a few months, and thought I was going to have difficulty walking (especially in the morning) for the rest of my life. I have narrow feet with no arches, so I tried a few cheap shoe inserts with no luck. I saw a podiatrist, but balked at the high price of custom orthotics, especially since I tried them years ago and they didn't work.

A shoe salesman suggested I try these inserts for some new shoes I was purchasing, and although the price seemed a little high for a piece of cloth-covered plastic, I decided to check them out. I pulled out the insert that came with the shoes, and slid these in.

My foot pain disappeared completely within a few days. (Cue the choir that always accompanies miracles.) I've now worn these in my shoes for many years, and recommend them for anyone who has flat feet and is experiencing foot pain.

They don't last forever, so I replace them when I see that the arch is buckling underneath. (This takes a year or so in the shoes I wear most often.) I'm a cheapskate, so I hate having to add this money to the price of a pair of shoes, but I've never had foot pain since then. I have been tempted to buy less-expensive knock-offs I've seen out in the stores, but why mess with a good thing? Plus, I think these folks deserve a reward for designing a great product that really worked.

If you're thinking of purchasing custom orthotics, you might want to try these first.
VINE VOICEon August 31, 2006
I tried Dr Scholls and Orthpidics shoe insoles and Superfeet is far superior to both. But it is also 2-3 times the cost of either one.

I am an avid golfer and I like to walk the golf course as an exercise. Becuase walking through an 18 hole golf course is equivalent to walking 2 miles in 4 hours, the foot can be very sore afterwards. To allevitate my footpain, I decided to use Superfeet in a very comfortable Nike golf shoe.

Superfeet was way more comfortable than either Dr Scholls or Orthipidics in the same shoe. Furthermore, my foot was hardly sore after an 18 holes of golf.

The only downside of these soles is they are slippery, so your foot tends to slide within the shoe. But this can be ameliorated by tying the shoe little more tightly.

The bottom line: if substantially reducing footpain from a long arduous walk is your primary concern, then these are the best if you want to pay for them.