5.0 out of 5 stars Once again

3.0 out of 5 stars Truth is more potent than fiction
Published on August 2, 2011 by Mislav Forrester

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
As a person who's been a fan of Cold since their debut album, I can say that this album continues with their ever evolving sound, and though alot of folks would call it Emo-metal ish, I simply call it cold. The lyrics move you and the music is easy to listen to in the car or in the house. It continues and further evolves from where A different Kind of pain left off, if you are a fan who didn't like anything after 13 ways to bleed on stage then this album might not be for you. But if your one of those true cold fans who have stuck with the band through each albums evolution, I feel this is simply a new peice of the puzzle, a must buy for any fan. Check it out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Truth is more potent than fiction, August 2, 2011
Mislav Forrester (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
Cold are an unusual band because singer Scooter Ward can relate to listeners on a very intimate, personal level. Most bands cannot boast this; however, the sincerity and message of his lyrics can also be the deciding factor on how Cold's music can be received. On the first three Cold albums, Scooter managed to be intensely personal, discussing many painful topics. Even though he used profanity at times, it was never insensitive. A Different Kind of Pain, surely a polarizing album, brought about a lightening of musical, as well as lyrical, themes and was thus more polished and slower in tempo. Those aspects suited it because of the vulnerability of the subject matter - death, loneliness, etc. In a sense, the rougher production of the earlier albums would have surely been a detriment to ADKOP.

Superfiction picks up roughly where A Different Kind of Pain left off. It is musically very similar, though only somewhat similar lyrically. At this point, it sounds as if Cold are simply trying to write songs about things, rather than having things about which to write songs (there is a key difference). Opener "Wicked World" kicks the album off with an almost alarming heaviness - surely heavier than anything on A Different Kind of Pain. It is wholly unexpected, and then nothing else on the album comes close to its intensity. Opener "Go" on Def Leppard's recent album Songs from the Sparkle Lounge is a very good comparison. The rest of the album is fairly familiar, though a bit too polished - in particularly, the drums sound artificial; they don't resemble a drum machine, but somehow they just don't work, the quick snare rolls in "What Happens Now" as the most glaring example.

Superfiction is by no means a failure, but it comes as something of a disappointment. Cold, who are known to be so personal, have come to a point in their lives when they're writing somewhat generic songs such as "American Dream" and "Welcome2MyWorld." The studio polish doesn't work so well on this album because the topics aren't as personal, the singer not as sincere and vulnerable. Alternatively, the heavily layered vocals of "So Long June" are unexpected and surprisingly effective. Also, the instrumentalists are quite competent, with some very nice moments from guitarist Zach Gilbert. Superfiction comes across as a pleasant, though not outstanding, effort which may turn out to be an album that becomes more enjoyable with time.

3/5

Recommended: The Crossroads, Delivering The Saint, So Long June

3.0 out of 5 stars (2.5 Stars) Average - Anticipation Turns To Somewhat Disappointment, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
I anticipated this album so much after first hearing "Wicked World" months ago when it was streaming on the internet. I have been listening to Cold since I first bought 13 Ways To Bleed On Stage and have enjoyed that album and Year Of The Spider a lot. I will say that "Wicked World" was sort of a tease. There aren't any tracks like it. This is in no way a bad album. In fact it is very melodic but where is the energy and the flare Cold had on previous efforts. After hearing "Wicked World" I was expecting at least a few more songs on the album in the the same vein with some mellower ones, but this album is bogged down by too many slower and softer tunes. Don't expect to hear anything like "Kill The Music Industry", "Witch", "Send In The Clowns", "She Said", "Change The World", "Remedy", "Give"...well you get the picture. Cold were always able to keep great melody in with heavier tracks. If there were at least a couple of tracks with the same heaviness as these songs or even the first track then I would give this a higher rating. Scooter's vocals are definitely the most melodic they have been but I miss the haunting, grungier vocals he had in the past. Year Of The Spider was the perfect blend of heavy and melodic tracks but I understand that 13 Ways and Spider are in the past and bands evolve. The only true bright spots on this album in my opinion of course is "Wicked World", "What Happens Now", "Welcome2MyWorld", and "Emily". "So Long June" and "Flight of the Superstar" are still growing on me. However, I can't say the same for the other tracks. If you're new to Cold you may enjoy this album but I suggest you check out 13 Ways and Year Of The Spider first. You'll hear Cold's true sound and classics. The album really is 2.5 stars to me if I could give half stars but I rounded to 3 for them making a comeback.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Cold" is not really back. Someone else is., July 24, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
I've always been a Cold and Scooter fan since I first heard them. Times change, of course, and sounds evolve. But after such a long hiatus and so much hype around 'Superfiction', I find myself incredibly disappointed. It has nothing to do with Cold not sounding like the Cold of old, though; the album itself is just... bland.

Scooter's voice is best used in his old throaty growl from '13 Ways' and 'Spider'. With all the effects he throws onto it in 'Superfiction', it's hard to tell if he's even singing at all. Surrounding him is typical, run-of-the-mill melody, with nothing to separate the tracks from anything else saturating the post-grunge market. It all feels uninspired, banking on the long-awaiting Cold fans who'd buy a new album with Cold's name on it regardless of reviews. Add in the fact that Scooter Ward's solo debut was some of the worst music I've ever heard personally, and the worst part of all of this is... I'm not all that surprised with how this turned out.

Just to make sure it wasn't me growing up, I immediately switched over to an all-Cold playlist (I hadn't listened to them much for awhile) and I found myself really getting into their old stuff, even songs to which I couldn't remember the words. The chemistry that band had then was unique and full of flavor; the new lineup in 2011 is much less interesting, much less inspiring, and much less "good".

If you're a Scooter/Cold fan, you pretty much have no choice but to buy the album. But if you're not and have enough generic 2000's rock in your library, I'd say pass. You won't be missing anything.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the old Cold, July 20, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
I'll keep this simple. As much as I was excited for a new Cold album, I'm somewhat disappointed in this new one. I was hoping for a return to their earlier music, ala "13 Ways" and "Spider", but after the first 2-3 songs, this album slows way the hell down. It's a MUCH slower album than those first three releases and more in line with "A Different Kind of Pain." That unique Cold sound is gone and they sound like any generic light rock band out there now (think Snow Patrol and their ilk). I had to check twice it was still Scooter singing, and by the end of the album, I had fallen asleep (no joke). If you liked "Pain" then you'll probably like this, but for those of us who loved their earlier albums, sadly, this is not one to recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Little, Too Late, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (MP3 Music)
After six years, I expected better. I expected more angst, vocal variance, and a differing sound. What I got was regurgitated sounds, similar lyrics, and someone who is trying to get deep and dark while struggling to scratch the edge. As a Cold fan, this album is extremely disappointing to me. Don't bother.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, August 26, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
Cold is probably my favorite band, however, I was pretty disappointed after listening to the new album. The only song that kind of rocks is Wicked World. I'm ok with a few slower songs but not the whole rest of the album! And if you're gonna do a "power ballad" album at least make it emotional and moving. This is weak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six years later......, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
Six years later after A Different Kind Of Pain, Cold released Superfiction with much anticipation. Six years later, I still love every Cold album that has been released. Superfiction might not be as "heavy" as previous albums, but in my book Superfiction is an amazing album of stories that touch your heart. Now these stories for the first time are not personal, but are fictional stories written beautifuly. We start of with, "Wicked World" which tells the story of a king who cheats on the queen with a mistress and the mistress kills the king. Also their is a music video for this song, and is the first music video off of Superfiction. Then we go into, "What Happens Now" a story about being a super hero, and this song is also going to be on the new spiderman movie soundtrack. "American Dream" is a wonderful song about a girl(actress) who finds out all she needs is at home, and the lyric, "Now the stars don't shine in hollywood" will get stuck in your head. The album continues telling stories, one about a musical world, and one involving making a deal with the devil but with a twist. This is the first time Scooter has written stories as his lyrics, and they come across vibrant. I love this album, and I highly recommend buying this album. It's still Cold.....it still makes you wanna learn every lyric.

-b-

3.0 out of 5 stars A let down, when you've came to expect so much:, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
I didn't fall asleep listening to it the way another reviewer stated, but I did forget what I was listening too. And what I mean by that is usually when I get a new cd (especially one I've been waiting for) my attention is on the CD......with this one, not so much. I popped it in & after about 3 songs it just faded into the background.

It's a slower album in the way of "A Different Kind of Pain", but it just doesn't have any real memorable songs the way that album had. The album doesn't have that sinister kind of sound the way the bands previous albums had. This one just sounds alittle more generic, it just doesn't have the identity.

Personally, as a CoLD album I'd give it 2-Stars especially in comparison to their other releases, but as a general album I'd give it 3-Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars To me, another amazing chapter.., August 11, 2011
This review is from: Superfiction (Audio CD)
.. to the cold series. I agree that it sounds a bit different than the cold we're used to, but it still feels COLD to me when I listen to it. Sams drums really stick out to me on this album. I like this song as much as "Different Kind of Pain", which i felt was grossly under rated. Ill always love the Self titled first album and 13 ways to bleed on stage most, but this cold album feels great to me. To me, their sound has grown with me.

Anyway, this is a very unique sounding album and deserves some attention. GIVE IT A SHOT GUYS!

Superfiction
Superfiction by Cold (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies