Published 14 months ago by mary

3.0 out of 5 stars Ingredients Hard to Find - Vegan Book
Published 6 months ago by Swift Cheetah

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative, delicious smoothie recipes AND invaluable guide to easy, healthy lifestyle!, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Julie Morris, I am so in love with her first book, "Superfood Kitchen", I cook from it almost every day and consider it the most valuable cookbook I own, so of course I was very excited to get my copy of "Superfood Smoothies"! I am truly amazed but not surprised that she turned out yet another masterfully written and beautifully composed book of awesome recipes. Not only are the smoothie recipes REALLY TASTY, but they are so creative and very thoughtfully concocted to maximize health, flavor, and texture. My favorites that I've tried so far are: cranberry orange (using frozen whole cranberries and OJ), acai pumpkin (yum! creative use for canned pumpkin puree), and cacao cream. There are so many more I can't wait to try!

I first started trying to turn around my health about a year ago by making green smoothies in my $30 blender, mixing frozen blueberries, banana, chia seeds, kale and almond milk every morning for breakfast. I have since upgraded to a vitamix, which makes it easier and more enjoyable to blend my daily smoothie! This book is helping me expand my smoothie repetoire so I can never, ever be bored with my smoothie!

I have also slowly expanded my superfood pantry over the last year, and wanted to pass on some tips for locating ingredients and finding good deals. Many of the negative reviews for this book seemed like the reason was because they couldn't find the ingredients or they were too expensive, which are completely bogus reasons for poorly reviewing this incredible book!! They are easy to find AND affordable if you have access to the internet!!! I live in an extremely rural isolated area, 1.5 hours drive to the nearest sizeable town with health food stores, but I buy most of the superfood ingredients online and I get much better deals than I would in stores. Also keep in mind that Navitas Naturals ins't the only brand that sells superfoods, Julie may promote them because she is their spokesperson, and they ARE a fantastic company, but I find that they have the MOST EXPENSIVE products on the market, and you don't get very much for the price. Another good brand that is more affordable is Sunfood Superfoods.

These are the online sources I use:

Nuts.com- Not only do they have awesome organic raw nuts and seeds of many varieties that I buy to make raw nut milks, they also sell many superfoods like spirulina, dried mulberries, yacon, cacao powder, acai powder, chia seeds, mesquite powder, wheatgrass powder, hemp protein powder, ect.

Amazon.com- I can find Sunfood Superfood brand products here, and have also found good deals from random other brands for everything from cacao powder, barley grass powder (starwest brand, similar to wheatgrass but often cheaper), acai powder, ect.

Vitacost.com - BEST DEAL ON HEMP SEEDS! 3 lb bag of Nutiva shelled hemp seeds for $34 - I keep a small jar on the counter to sprinkle on salads and use in recipes and store the rest in the freezer, the bag lasts me a long time! You can also find good deals on chia seeds and lots of other things

Swansonvitamins.com- They also have the same deal on the 3lb bag of Nutiva hemp seeds! Just ordered hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and camu powder from them.

Bottom line, if you buy this book (AND "Superfood Kitchen" while you're at it!), you are well on your way to make super nutritious MAGIC happen in your kitchen!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super amazing, super delicious and super nutritious, April 30, 2013
CinBock (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
If you're a novice smoothie maker, you will really appreciate how Julie took the time to go through the steps of smoothie making in great detail and will be introduced to amazing smart combinations.
If you, like me, have been making smoothies pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, have exhausted your creativity to combine ingredients and could use some really unique, tasty and nutritious recipes, you will absolutely love this book.
Superfoods may sound foreign if you haven't used them before and you don't necessarily need to buy every single superfood out there, you can certainly leave out the superfood suggestions for many of the recipes and still end up with a vibrant and nutritious drink. Some of the superfoods can be expensive but a bit goes a long way. Julie provides excellent information on each superfood, how, where and what form to buy, benefits, serving size and substitutions.
I got this book on a Saturday and on the next day I basically ended up doing a smoothie day, each recipe I tried was so delicious, so full of flavor and was packed with so many nutrients that I kept wanting to try more recipes :-) Everything I've tried so far was absolutely amazing, really love this book, there are combinations of ingredients that I would have never though of after so many years making smoothies.
** Update: Yesterday I started to explore one of the chapters called superfood shots,they are small, highly condensed smoothies, what a fantastic idea! Yesterday I had one called 'Stress recovery', there is one for energy boost, one for fighting cold... Really interesting ideas!

5.0 out of 5 stars "A VARIETY OF DELICIOUS, HEALTHY RECIPES!", April 18, 2013
I have ordered different Smoothies as I've ventured out for the day, and have also been invited to join friends in relaxing, and enjoying Smoothies. A very popular trend, but I also noticed the prices for Smoothies in malls and stores have gone up. Julie Morris shares 100 recipes of healthy, delicious Smoothies. I received a new blender recently as a gift, and now am building my own collection of Smoothie recipes for family, friends, and social gatherings. These recipes are tasty, and there is a huge selection to choose from. I noticed that when I do enjoy a Smoothie, I quickly fill-up, and avoid junk food cravings, which is another positive sign. The different fruit flavors are inviting, Smoothies help to boost energy, and are nutritious. This book was inexpensive, and worth every penny. It's the best Smoothie book I have purchased thus far. In addition to 100 recipes of delicious Smoothie recipes, this book is also informative. The author discusses Smoothie Essentials, How much Smoothie should one drink, the nutritional rewards of Smoothies, and more. There are stunning, colorful photos that are inviting. Included in this amazing book are: fruit & Light; Green & Vibrant; Rich & Creamy; Stealth Blends; Superfood Shots. There is also information about storing Smoothies, charts, guides, and resources. My favorite Smoothie recipes thus far are CHOCOLATE MINT, MANGO COCONUT,BLACKBERRY VANILLA, and BANANA OAT. However, every week I will try a new recipe for me, and my daughter. An update: We tried the CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT; MULBERRY LAVENDER; MANGO GINGER; and the STRAWBERRY CHAMOMILE. Absolutely no complaints, very tasty choices indeed. In fact, I will be ordering more copies of this delightful, fun-filled book for birthday and holiday gifts. I am impressed by the low price of this book, and the superior quality of its contents. We will provide additional updates as we try new Smoothie recipes. At present, we are very satisfied. I love this treasure of a book! A perfect gift for friends, and family. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ingredients Hard to Find - Vegan Book, January 9, 2014
This is an exceptionally well-written book, and the layout is fantastic. It's easy to read, and making all the smoothies is straightforward. There are a lot of nice pictures throughout. This is a bit of a food snob book, however. I've never heard of most of the ingredients, and this book emphasizes, basically, the "evil" dairy products, and God forbid whey protein! So, no yogurt or milk in these smoothies - those are for people that don't know how to use calories wisely. To name the most commonly used ingredients in this book: dried white mulberry, sea buckthorn berries, lucuma powder, Medjool dates, dried goji berries, maqui berry powder, and camu berry powder.

It's written in a very friendly manner, and all of these weird-sounding ingredients are well-explained. But I wouldn't know where to begin to find them. If you buy them online, they are expensive. Sure, lucuma powder or goji berries may have more antioxidants than blueberries, but when I can find beautiful, fresh blueberries locally for a third the cost, I think I'll go with blueberries! It isn't written with a condescending tone, but it definitely thinks all other sources of vitamins and minerals from basic fruits and vegetables are for people living in the stone age.

The most disconcerting thing is when I went to buy these ingredients online, many reviewers were saying things such as "not supposed to be eaten raw" or "sent me to the hospital with bad skin reaction". I'll stick with what I know, and what's locally available! There are plenty of nutritious and organic fruits and vegetables around that are more suitable for healthy smoothies!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little more than I expected, August 16, 2013
I bought this book because I absolutely love nutrient-dense smoothies and wanted something more than "some yogurt, some bananas" kind of recipes.

Honestly, if you have a high-quality health food store near you and can afford to buy exotic, unusual foods in bulk... then go for it! It's full of beautiful recipes that I'm sure are magnificent. However, I am a student on a budget... despite the modest superfood pantry I've maintained for years, I haven't stood a chance for making a single one of these recipes. I've been vegetarian/macrobiotic/raw for 5 years, but a lot of these ingredients are so exotic that I've never heard of them and I can't find them in my city.

I don't mean this to be a bad review in any way, but I do want to let others know that they should expect to spend some time and money searching for the ingredients!

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite recipe book, May 8, 2013
I wish I could send a million thank you's to Julie for developing this book. I am on top of the world. I got the book about 2 weeks ago and I cannot stop myself from blending smoothies at least twice a day. I feel fabulous and my skin is glowing again.

About the setup: sure it was a bit of work to gather the main ingredients. I basically made a long list and set out to whole foods, they had every single item. For some I chose to order online because I wanted the recommended quality (Navitas Naturals). It costs a bit...well a lot more than I thought to start a collection. But if you think about the cost of one single facial with effects lasting for a couple of days..?? This is an investment well worth it. I respect my body and my mind enough to do the leg work, everyone should. Once you learn what everything looks like, it becomes 100 times easier.

About the benefits: Smooth pleasant energy flowing through my body all day long and into the night. I can go without any coffee, in fact I forget to drink coffee sometimes. No more zombie walk to the pot in the morning. Now I get the blender out and think to myself: what kind of flavor am I in the mood for - green, berry, chocolate? Once you learn what each of the super-foods do, you get to ask your own body what it needs. Helpful index at the back will help you track the desired ingredient back to a smoothie or two.

I was already into pristine healthy eating, and still...voila :) I can feel even better. The smoothies are each so delicious too. This is not a diet book (I dread diet books). This is a book that tells you how to nourish your body - isn't this wonderful that finally people like Julie are telling you what to eat, instead of what to stay away from... THANK YOU JULIE!

5.0 out of 5 stars It changed my palatte, June 3, 2013
JAEF (El Cajon, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
I have had my Vitamix for about 1 1/2 years but have not really used it for more that 15 thing and then I got this book. I don't do dairy and except for investing in some powders at the beginning which you can easily get at Sprouts or Whole Foods, it has been very exciting these past two weeks. I have been making 1-3 smoothies daily from her book. they all are the brightest hue imaginable. Reading the book was fascinating because she explains the components of a basic smoothie and substitutions. I had never heard of Lacuma powder although i have paid for smoothies at the best vegan restaurants in LA and now I feel like I can make what I want cheaper at home.There is one flavored like strawberry cheesecake that has cashews. anyway I feel now that I can get whatever protein, antioxidants,vitamen c, and fiber I need in a smoothie but her combinations are nothing I would have thought of. It is summer now so I would rather use fresh berries than South American ones ,for now so I have not purchased the golden berry . Also I read that people allergic to grasses can have allergic reactions to wheat grass. I also have asthma to mulberries and have not tried that. But there are 10's of recipes that have made this book so worth it. I don't even need desert now that I just add a drop of Stevia to the drinks . I have also lost 3 lbs and did not even plan to.
I just ordered her food book but let's see if I actually feel like cooking after the ease of smoothies. I just laugh when I see people waiting in juice lines now.It can't be as delicious as these recipes!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money!, May 1, 2014
Aside from very nice design and beautiful photos, this book is totally useless for me. Please give me normal recipes with fresh "superfoods", which I can find and buy at local grocery stores or farmers' markets such as pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, kale, arugula, spinach etc. (yogurt is a "superfood" as well!), and not tons of "superfood" powders (which are, of course, very expensive since the magic marketing word "superfood" is currently very popular, and as such doesn't really exist in reality -- all fresh foods packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are "superfoods"). Disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with über-creative smoothies and tons of helpful info., May 7, 2013
This is by far the best smoothie book I have come across (and I'm somewhat of a smoothie connoisseur!). It's got 100 unique, creative, and nutritious recipes; it's sturdy and high-quality (hardcover); the photographs (taken by Julie herself) are UNBELIEVABLY, mouthwateringly gorgeous; and yet somehow, the price it's selling for is a total steal. You're paying barely 10 cents per recipe here, people! That'll leave you plenty of pennies leftover to splurge on some fun superfood ingredients for these smoothies.

Now, about those ingredients. YES, Julie uses a selection of what some people might consider "unusual" ingredients in these smoothies - but those are the superfoods! She has an extensive first chapter in the book detailing the nutritional benefits of each. I see several people here complaining about the use of these superfoods - but they are part of what makes this book so great, and worth buying and delving into. The thing is, if you're looking for smoothie recipes using only very basic ingredients, you really don't need a book for that - throw a cup of nondairy milk, a frozen banana, and a handful of any other fruit (pineapple, mango, berries, etc.) into a blender, and there you have it. Add a dash of vanilla or cocoa powder or a handful of spinach if you want a little something extra. But if you're like me, there's only so many times you can make permutations of that same basic formula without getting a little bored and itching for some new smoothie inspiration, ideas, and recipes. Superfood Smoothies to the rescue!

And listen: you certainly don't have to go out and buy a bag of EVERY superfood Julie uses. They can indeed be pricey (but they're so nutrient-dense, you usually will only use a small spoonful per recipe, so a bag of any given superfood will last you a LONG time). I suggest paging through the recipes, bookmarking some of the ones that look/sound best to you, and seeing what superfoods they have in common - then purchasing a couple to get you started. After all, that's how any collection begins, right? If you need some suggestions, I'll tell you that I'm a huge fan of maca powder, lucuma powder, and chia seeds. Online is the best place to buy superfoods, in my opinion (Amazon is an option, obviously; I also really like nuts.com - very affordable!), but grocery stores like Whole Foods carry quite a few of them.

Finally, here's the kicker: YOU DON'T NECESSARILY EVEN HAVE TO HAVE THE SUPERFOODS LISTED IN THE BOOK TO MAKE THE SMOOTHIE RECIPES IN THE BOOK. That's right. Just leave them out entirely, or replace them with an easier-to-find ingredient with a similar flavor profile (the first chapter will help you with that, since Julie does such a great job explaining the flavor properties of each superfood). Of course, the smoothies won't taste EXACTLY as Julie intended them to when you do this, and they'll lack the nutrients that the superfoods would've lent them, but you'll still be making yourself a delicious, frosty, nutritious snack. The Peaches & Cream smoothie on page 65, for example, will still taste amazing even if you leave out the camu powder and chia seeds; or try the Red Velvet Cake smoothie on page 143 with common golden raisins in place of the more exotic mulberries - yum!

Long story short, there are many ways to use this book, and ANYONE can get use out of it - whether you have a pantry full of superfoods, or only one or two, or zero interest in (or $$ for) investing in any superfoods at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 26, 2013
I pre-ordered this book when I ordered Superfood Kitchen, and I'm almost embarrassed that I paid so little for it. I am a veteran smoothie maker of the handful of this, half a bag of that, sort so I've done my share of holding my nose and choking it down. Julie Morris has taken some of the challenging flavors that these nutrient dense foods present us with and brought out the subtleties and complexities of each one to create a flavor symphony in your mouth. The book is full of clever ways to enhance texture (cauliflower and green tea ice to name a couple), and each one increases the health enhancing aspect of the smoothie. Even if you have no interest in developing a superfood pantry this book is worth it just for its clever ideas. The author has also included a full section on how to save money and build your superfood pantry over time...the book is even organized from fewest specialty ingredients to fully stocked superfood pantry! The only thing I would add is that I find my vacuum sealer is one of the handiest tools in my kitchen because I can buy ingredients by the pound and vacuum seal them in glass jars...they cost half as much and last twice as long. Best of all you can double your recipes and seal half of the smoothie in a glass mason jar and it will taste great the next day. Thanks to Ms. Morris for your brilliantly crafted, beautifully presented books!

Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes