4.0 out of 5 stars Great, In-Depth Information on Some Super Nutritious Foods
David Wolfe provides very detailed information about some specific "superfoods" and also provides scientific rationale (sometimes down to the molecular level) about why these foods are so beneficial for us. This book is very informative and I like that it also provides practical ways in which to consume the superfoods, providing recipes and recommended dosages. However,...
Published on July 10, 2009 by Jennifer Ayers-Gould

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, lacking substance
I have been aware (if not "following" ) of David Wolfe's work and message for about 13 years now, and still see him first and foremost as a
lawyer and a salesman- able to slickly manipulate information for personal benefit. As an educator, this book was actually
hard to read- let's just say I winced. I would recommend it to my students as an exercise in...
Published on January 28, 2012 by Rachel

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars In Depth Superfood Knowlege Guide Book For Your Health, May 13, 2013
This review is from: Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future (Paperback)
If you want to truly know and what to expect from certain nutrionally rich superfoods that have dietary benefits and healing potential to the body, then this books is for you. David Wolfe really went in depth into illustrating, providing overviews, sources, scientific information and much more on ten superfoods he selected as well as 7 others he honorably mentions. The top 10 superfood he expounds on are as follows: Gogi berries, Cocao, Maca, Bee products(honey, bee pollen, royal jelly, propolis), Spirulina, AFA Blu-Green Algae, Marine Phytoplankton, Hemp Seed, and Coconuts. He also provides recipes for each superfood on how they can be used which gives you ideas on how you can use them whenever. He also listed an additional 7 and they are as follows: Acai, Camu Camu Berry, Chlorella, Incan berries, Kelp, Nomi, Yacon. For the cost of the book, you got a two semester college course that could improve your health and save you medical costs, aches and pains, and much more. I thought I knew it all, but found out I did not, and gained much insight in the use of the foods in smoothie use, meal use, etc to get a better bang for the buck when it comes to my health and well being. To me this is excellent book and worth while investment to anyone's library. I have now made it a point to provide these superfoods into my diet. At my age, I need all the help I can get as the SAD diet and the AMA, Food industry, Drug Industry, etc do not care about me and my health except the bottom dollar to satisfy their wealth and greed. This book is helping me free myself from their greed. Recommend this book highly!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing, invaluable and beautiful handbook, July 17, 2012
This is an extremely important book for all of us who wish to live in a state of optimal health. And surely we all wish that!

It introduced me to the concept of superfoods and I have now begun to include more of them in my diet. (I'd already been using coconut products and Spirulina, without knowing they were actually "superfoods".) This is contributing to my physical and in fact total transformation.

David's top 10 superfoods are as follows: Goji berries, Cacao (raw chocolate), Maca, Bee products, Spirulina, AFA Super Blue-Green Algae, Marine phytoplankton, Aloe Vera, Hempseed and Coconuts.

Additionally, seven products which he awards "Honourable Mentions" are Acai (pronounced ah-SAH'ee), Camu Camu Berries, Chlorella, Incan Berries, Kelp, Noni and Yacon.

Superfoods comprise foods that have a dozen or more unique properties. They are both a food and a medicine - they are "a class of the most potent, super-concentrated, and nutrient-rich foods on the planet".

Below I will indicate only a few of the most important attributes of each superfood.

1) Goji berries. These are some of the highest antioxidant -containing foods in the world. They contain polysaccharides, that fortify the immune system. There is evidence that they increase longevity. They have anti-inflammatory properties and enhance libido and sexual function.
2) Cacao (raw chocolate). I had heard that dark chocolate was health-giving, but hadn't dreamt that it was a superfood. Cacao beans contain no sugar, and cacao is one of the great weight loss foods owing to its content of minerals and PEA (Phenylethylamine) molecules that shut off appetite (surprise, surprise!).
3) Maca. This is a member of the cruciferous family of plants that includes broccoli and cauliflower. It is grown for its root, and has been cultivated in the Peruvian Andes for over 2000 years. Maca is a powerful adaptogen which has the ability to stabilize the body's "glandular-hormonal system, nervous system, cardiovascular system and musculature". It is known to improve innumerable disorders and has aphrodisiac qualities,
4) Bee products. These include honey, pollen, royal jelly and propolis. These various products have also been known to relieve or cure innumerable disorders.
5) Spirulina. This belongs to a class of single-celled, blue-green algae, and contains "an astounding array of nutrients", including chlorophyll, protein, vitamins, etc. etc. It consists of 65-71 percent protein, which is the highest concentration of protein found in any food. It is "a powerful tonic" for the immune system, and is the only green food rich in the essential fatty acid GLA (Gamma-linolenic acid).
6)AFA Super Blue-Green Algae. These algae (Alphanizomenon flos-aquae) are a type of wild blue-green algae that live in Klamath Lake, the largest lake in Oregon. They contain even more minerals, chlorophyll, phycocyanin, Vitamin C and essential fatty acids than Spirulina. The product is "one of the most digestible and utilizable protein foods in all of nature". It is filled with chlorophyll and contains 40 major and trace minerals. AFA is a wild food, and the author states that the key solution to mineral deficiencies appears to be incorporating wild foods into our diet.
7)Marine phytoplankton. These are the smallest plant organisms found on Earth. Marine phytoplankton forms the basis of the Earth's food chain. It is the best "plant-based source of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids" and "a natural source of wide-spectrum, plant-based vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, polysaccharides, and protein". It is an ideal detoxification tool, helps you lose excess weight, improves memory, normalizes blood sugar, etc. etc.
8)Aloe Vera. The gel of raw aloe vera helps alleviate all sorts of digestive problems and is effective at killing yeast (Candida), It reduces inflammation, radiation sickness, cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
9)Hempseed. Hemp is "one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet". It contains all the essential amino and fatty acids. It is one of the few seeds that contain chlorophyll.
10)Coconuts. Coconut products can "save your life". They improve digestion and contain antiviral, antifungal and antimicrobial fatty acids. The saturated fat in coconut oil is in the form of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) which support the immune system, the thyroid gland, nervous system, etc. Coconut water is wonderful for rehydration. (I myself drink coconut water every day without fail, and it removes all symptoms of the Crohn's disease from which I suffer - and I use only coconut oil for cooking.)

Due to lack of space I will not go into the properties of the seven excellent products given an "Honourable Mention" by David.

This wonderful book has been an absolute eye-opener for me. It has introduced me to Goji berries, the amazing properties of Cacao, Maca, the healing properties of bee products and above all AFA blue-green algae and marine phytoplankton, which I feel to be the most powerful of the superfoods and which I hope will help me the most with detoxification and healing.

David presents an extremely informational overview of all aspects of the various superfoods, including historical, biological and other scientific facts, the benefits of each food, its healing properties, its nutrient contents specified in detail, how to use the products, what types to look for, recommended dosages and pages and pages of appetizing recipes. The book includes innumerable beautiful photos.

It is an amazing, invaluable and beautiful handbook. It is extremely well-written except for a few problems as regards whether the word "algae" is in singular or plural form. It is actually a plural form ("alga" is the singular form), but he uses it as both.

The book contains extremely detailed, informative and invaluable appendices listing the exact nutritional content of all the mentioned products and references to scientific studies. I found the quality of the book to be excellent.

I also applaud David for helping the public to gain access to these products - he is contributing to our health and longevity in innumerable ways! I look forward to reading his coming book on super herbs.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide for feeling better, March 29, 2011
After watching "Food Matters", I was moved to order David's book and learn more. It was a fun and engaging read, and as an almost-vegan "flexitarian", I appreciate the flexibility with which it is written. Superfoods doesn't ask you to buy into a strict dogma or completely change the way you live, but teaches you how to introduce some of these little known foods into your diet and improve your overall wellness.

The recipes come across as somewhat impractical at first, particularly for individuals who don't have easy access to well stocked natural foods stores. Of course all of the ingredients can be found online, but with some of the rather loooong lists of ingredients, this can be impractical ($$$) too;) The good news is I've found the recipes to be delicious and easy to make, even with a few healthy modifications here and there.

Great resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge is Power & David Gives Us that Knowledge, May 23, 2009
I'm not sure, but David Wolfe may of invented the word SuperFoods and he has chosen some great foods for his most recent book, SuperFoods, that we can add to our diets to increase the nutritional value of what we eat each day. I know goji berries are great, but in SuperFoods, David explains why they and other SuperFoods are good for us and why they are an important food source for people seeking super vibrant health. With knowledge we are more likely to eat these foods. Just knowing these foods are good for us is not enough. When we truly know their value we are more likely to eat them. I am grateful to David for all his work and research into the healing and nurturing qualities of foods. Thaks you David... Jia

5.0 out of 5 stars Superfoods Education, April 12, 2011
I enjoyed reading this book and it did prompt me to buy some natural products. Just a word of caution. If you try these products - try very small amounts to begin with :) Awesome information :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Informative and In Depth, May 10, 2010
One of the best books I've read as a new "raw" foodie. Very in depth information about various superfoods, some that I was aware of before and others that are all new to me. Now that I'm aware of them, I can actively look for them at my local health food store (and found most) or online. Great book and highly recommend for anyone looking to improve them health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book!, September 23, 2009
April Fear (CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book informative, easy to read and easy to refer back to. I am trying to incorporate these superfoods into my everyday diet, along with eating more raw foods each day.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Book On Super Foods, September 1, 2009
Like many people I was very surprise on the information on this book, I have never heard of any of these foods until now. Super foods is one of the best books on this topic, all the information is straight to the point and easy to understand. For many people that would like to know more about super foods, or want to boost their health or enjoy their life, you need to pick up this book, you will be surprise on the information that is loaded in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Changed My Life!, April 11, 2012
I was not familiar with David Wolfe until he and this book were mentioned to me by a friend a couple weeks ago. Superfoods by David WolfeSuperfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future is my new bible. Following his suggestions about what Superfoods to aquire and what specific quantities to take on a daily basis has changed my life in just a couple weeks. I am focused, full of energy with positive thoughts and feelings. I felt good before I incorporated this in my life, now I feel Wonderful! I don't know if it's a combination of all the Superfood I'm now injesting, or one specific item which I didn't know existed before I read this book... Blue-Green Algae. I think Everybody should be taking this... the world would be a happier place if they did. My daughter and husband are following his suggestions on how to help their ADD issues and it works! This has had such a major inpact on my life and those around me it's the 1st review I've ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super information about Superfoods, May 18, 2009
I have read this book twice since I received it a little over 2 weeks ago. David provides a wealth of information regarding the history, health benefits, recipies and the scientific research backing the health claims for each Superfood. I have been a user of some of these Superfoods for the past 2 years and I just added a few more to my daily diet thanks to this book. A must read for those that are willing to take responsibility for their own health.

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future by David Wolfe (Paperback - April 28, 2009)
$18.95 $12.16