Published on August 1, 2005 by Shotgun Method

3.0 out of 5 stars Good garage rock (or grunge, punk, alt, whatever!)(!)
No wonder glam metal fell and this stuff took over, glam-metal is rich boys music. In a way, this is how rock music should be played, rough, raw, working class. Don't hold your breath hoping for meticulous songcraft, but there are some great, catchy, energetic rockers here, no matter how chaotic it can be.

But it's hard to like these guys, they're...
Published on April 5, 2011 by Tnahpellee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap beer, distortion pedals in a flannel hurricane.... awww yeeeeah., August 1, 2005
Shotgun Method (NY... No, not *that* NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
Everything coming out of Seattle from the mid-'80s to about '94 was seemingly labeled "grunge" when in fact most of the outfits from there were widely varying in their sound. However, make no mistake--Mudhoney ARE "grunge" to a T. Continuing the legacy of the defunct Green River, these guys played a frothy concoction of punk, metal, and garage rock that predated MTV's homogenizing interest in "alternative." And yet they were and continue to be unfairly overlooked in favor of a certain three-piece starting with the letter "N."

Superfuzz Bigmuff (named after the distortion pedal--how cool is that?) & Early Singles displays this scruffy quartet at their best, creating untamed monster slabs of strung-out, slithering, primal sleaze that would do Iggy Pop proud. Mudhoney captured all the rage of youth without wallowing in the angst of some of their contemporaries. The overriding themes are misanthropy, sex, drugs, and more sex. You almost feel like taking a shower after listening--the stuff of great rock 'n' roll.

The feral howls of Mark Arm and Steve Turner's feedback-driven chunks of riffage are all over this album, showcased to absolutely best effect on the gleefully trashy opener Touch Me I'm Sick, the grinding and woozy Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More, the frantic Burn It Clean, an absolutely evil cover of Sonic Youth's Halloween (way better than the original in my estimation), and the irrevent powerhouse In 'N' Out Of Grace. When they DO turn the volume down for a moment on Mudride and If I Think, it merely serves to enhance the pummeling.

Despite a couple of weak tracks (No One Has and Chain That Door aren't too great) and the fact that the singles are definitely stronger than the LP, Superfuzz Bigmuff is utterly mandatory listening for anyone who claims allegiance to the banner of alternative rock.

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly cromulent collection, December 14, 2003
Wheelchair Assassin (The Great Concavity) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
Mudhoney are yet another band that, unfortunately, got left behind in the aftermath of the whole alternative-rock explosion of the late 1980's and early '90's. In fact, they've been even more unfairly neglected than the Pixies, Faith No More, and Jane's Addiction. As a result, I'm just getting into them now, but I must say these guys held their own with any of the genre's leading lights. This collection of early singles, packaged along with their EP "Superfuzz Bigmuff," showcases a blues-dirge-punk sound somewhat similar to that of early Soundgarden, but with an even higher level of guitar fuzz produced by the distortion pedals that gave "Superfuzz Bigmuff" its name.
Leading off this collection is their first single, "Touch Me I'm Sick," which is the perfect summation of Mudhoney's musical mission and easily one of the defining songs of the "grunge era." With the volume and distortion both cranked way up, "Touch Me I'm Sick" boasts one of the biggest, rawest, dirtiest, and above all catchiest riffs in history. The drumming sounds like they took a guy having a seizure and put him behind the kit, and Mark Arm spits out the depraved lyrics in his unmistakable feral howl. Put it all together, and you've got everything that rock music is supposed to be compressed into two and a half triumphantly lowbrow minutes.
The disc never quite reaches the lofty heights of "Touch Me I'm Sick" again, but there's certainly a lot more great stuff here. For the remaining eleven tracks, fast-paced, fuzzed-out blasts of aggression share space with slower, bluesier material that allowed the band to stretch out its sound. "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More" and the Sonic Youth cover "Halloween" are slow-burning, woozy dirges highlighted by swirling guitar noise and Mark's acidic voice. As much metal as it is alternative, the dark, chugging "No One Has" would've sounded right at home on an early Alice In Chains album. "If I Think" is an early display of the loud-soft dynamics that would later make Nirvana famous. And there's plenty more explosive, addictive riff-rock to be found in the form of songs like "Burn It Clean," "You Got It (Keep It Outta My Face)", and "In 'N' Out Of Grace."
By the time this CD ended with the swooning mini-epic "Mudride," I was in full-fledged shock that Mudhoney didn't get more attention than they did. Of course, since it's nothing new for great music to be underappreciated, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. That said, if you're a fan of the better-known bands to emerge from the Seattle scene, you need to pick this one up pronto.

5.0 out of 5 stars named after the best distortion pedals ever made, April 1, 2003
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
mudhoney were grunge before grunge existed, before it was en vogue. this is one loud fun album. distorted guitars that sent the scene for grunge bowl me over. the music is garage rock sprinkled with some blues and a touch of punk. rising from the ashes of green river, mudhoney were a force to be reckoned with. proof of that is that they outlasted most of their grunge peers.
dan peters is such a unique drummer and matt lukin plays his bass with more passion than most other bassists. steve turner is a loud loose and great player who does not need to flaunt his style. he just lets his music speak for itself. mark arm? well he sings and i like him very much but his voice is different and some say an acquired taste. all in all a fun great rock and roll album that makes me feel all warm inside.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Superfuzz" is to 90's alternative as "Revolver" is to pop., December 31, 1998
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
Nobody, but nobody can scream like Mudhoney's Mark Arm (except maybe Dave Smalley of Down By Law fame, and he at least screams on key). This band should adopt the tongue-in-cheek unofficial Primus slogan "We're Mudhoney, and we suck!" They are indeed the world's best worst band. They play wiht intensity and fervor unmatched by the thousands of gutless, canned, copycat alternative bands to storm the music scene since Nirvana chastised us all for smelling like teen spirit. "Superfuzz" is an anthem for those of us from the older school of punk. There is almost nothing better than driving down the highway screaming along with Mr. Arm, "Touch me, I'm sick!!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Awesome Grunge!, August 19, 2003
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
This EP/Record is an excellent assemble of raw, dirty grunge pieces. If you enjoy Nirvana but also have a taste for Iggy and the Stooges raw garage rock sound then this is definitley your album. Mark Arm is a very raw vocalist, when you hear his voice come roaring out of the speakers, you know your in for a rough ride. The riffs and chords are coated in heavy disortion and they are backed by the excellent machine gun drumming. Anyways if you enjoy Nirvana, Stooges, or any garage rock or grunge then this is an excellent buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The grunge superstars, July 2, 2006
Lovblad (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
When this came out they were the band that everybody thought were destined for greatness and stardom, not Nirvana. I remember going to see them and not Cobain and his boys because this was much much better in our opinion. Shows us we were wrong on one account: they did not make it big time as Nirvana would but they weree good, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Mud!!!, January 29, 2005
Rick Bulwicz (Central Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
I remember the time I heard the first song Mudhoney released for public hearing... "Touch Me I'm Sick". It was 1988 (I think) and the height of the AIDS generation. Aside from the lyrics, the fuzzed-out guitars and relentless drums made this song stick into me. I went out the next day and bought the single. Then Superfuzz Bigmuff came out a few months later, and my friend at the record store called me to tell me the minute it came in.

Mudhoney generated a lot of hype with a small group of us out here in the East and for good reason. They were the new saviors of rock. Not quite punk, bigger than garage, and just kind of loud and noisey. Even slower songs like "If I Think" had a slant of rage to them. "In and Out of Grace" just wails and pummels. "You Got It" has one of the best intro guitar licks ever written. The whole album is just so in-your-face that it can't be ignored.

This was definately the best Mudhoney ever did. The self-titled album released after this was almost as good, but not quite. I think they lost a little of the screaming and big fuzz guitar after SFBM. Their more recent releases are more tame, with Mark Arm singing better and the guitars a lot cleaner, but still good.

Although Mudhoney weren't the first grunge band, they did make the rest of the world take note of what was happening in the Pacific Northwest. This album is the reason, and even listening to it today, you know "grunge" wasn't just a passing fad, but the true direction of real rock at that time period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bile. Piss. Vinegar and catchy, dirty guitars!, December 7, 2000
By A Customer
hey all,
I first heard this in Junior High and I was speechless! Their guitars were so distinct! unlike the commercial pop that's passed off as "Rock". Mudhoney successfully combines Blues, Garage Rock,etc. with ease, and for this they attract a diverse audience.
Steve Turner's FUZZED out, sometimes out of time/key solos remain an inspiration for me. No doubt, the boy can play, but he doesn't flaunt his ability like the pretentious rock stars who regularly grace the cover of Guitar World.
Singer Mark Arm(I'll keep the identity of his last name a secret, thank you!) sings with Piss & Vinegar, a Bluesy voice that expresses his pain and anger, and his range and talent improves with every release! I can't say I relate a whole lot to the lyrical content of this album, but their later releases have me sharing some similar feelings.
Mudhoney didn't bother cashing in during the media hyped grunge explosion. Its evident because they outlasted the majority of their peers. It was refreshing to see them in NYC. Their previous material still excited me, and their slow dirty Blues songs shined.
Mudhoney's side project, MonkeyWrench (Estrus Records) further displays their love and passion for Blues, I highly recommend it. Bassist Matt Lukin has left the band and Mudhoney's future is in question, but even if the Fuzz gets shut off there's no denying that Mudhoney impacted me with their diverse mix of Punk, Garage, Blues, etc. Thanx guys!

4.0 out of 5 stars Got grunge?, November 13, 2003
Da Peace Dogg (Hollywood, California - livin' humble) - See all my reviews
Got grunge?
This is one of the best grunge CDs ever recorded in the history of grunge/rock music. I should know, for I live at the Home of Grunge, Seattle, WA.
Anyway, you can't go wrong with songs like "Touch Me I'm Dick," from the mega-hit movie "Singles" in 1992. That part where Dillon was singing the chorus and it was big in Bangladesh was priceless!!!
Got grunge?
This is a historical guitar record that can't be beat. It has a definite '90s retro feel that grunge-listeners will eat up with abandon!! Also, the black + white front cover brings back memories of yore, when all grunge photographs were being shot in Seattle by some famous camera picture-taking dude who was drunk all the time.
Got grunge?
But anyway, I digress. If you like bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Weezer and Smashing Pumpkins, you'll surely love this grunge classic. The lead singer screams with grunge-like abandon, the drums are boxy and tight, and the guitars are out of tune and perfect!!!
I'll ask you again: Got grunge?

4.0 out of 5 stars Grunk!, October 28, 2003
H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" (thanks for the helpful review votes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superfuzz Bigmuff & Early Singles (Audio CD)
This is an album much like Ultramega OK or Bleach, that is actually punk as much as it is grunge. It's a very cool record, and was cool before the scene was. Actually it's an EP with some singles tacked on. The early hit "Touch Me I'm Sick" is what most people would know. "Hate The Police" and "You Got It" are both sweet. "If I Think" is the almost ballad of the cd. "In 'N' Out Of Grace" starts off with some old movie diologue. Overall it's a great slice of old school grunge, and maybe Mudhoneys best. I remember when I saw them singer Mark Arm was wearing a shirt that said "I'll suck d*** for crack", that was pretty funny. I'll always be amazed that these guys and Screaming Trees weren't bigger, they both should have been.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›