4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a different perspective.
I watched this movie with my little niece the other day. I'm a big comics fan and I thought it wasn't bad. There was some good action, a bit of humor and pathos, and the animation wasn't mind blowing but it did the job. All in all, this is a decent if not memorable movie. That's my take on it.

My niece on the other hand loved it. She's in her pre-pre-teen...
Published on November 29, 2010 by Michael Noga

3.0 out of 5 stars I Honestly Don't Know How I Feel About This One
Published on November 5, 2011 by D. A. Reed

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a different perspective., November 29, 2010
Michael Noga "Jumping kings and making Haste ... (Somewhere near the mean streets of Chicago) - See all my reviews

My niece on the other hand loved it. She's in her pre-pre-teen years and while she loves animation (she still calls them cartoons) what she really likes are stories with strong female leads. She likes it when girls are the heroes. I think that's why she loved this movie.

You have a few cute scenes with Super Girl (Kara Zor-El) palling around with Clark Kent when she first arrives on Earth. You have some great fight scenes involving Super Girl, Wonder Woman, Big Barda, the Female Furies and an entire nation of Amazon Warriors. This movie showcases tough, capable women warriors as well as a strong, tough-minded teenage girl. My niece ate it up. She can't wait for more like this. She is even getting into the comic books. Seeing "girl superheroes" on an even footing with "boy superheroes" made a big impression on her. I hope the studios produce more like this one. So does my niece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but should've been renamed Superman/Batman: The Fight For Supergirl!, October 18, 2010
I say that because that's really what this story is about. It isn't really about Superman/Batman Vs. Darkseid as it is more about them (along with Wonder Woman and former Darkseid soldier Bertha) fighting over the fate of Kara Zor-El, better known as Supergirl.

Kara comes to earth and is lost when Batman finds her. Superman and Batman both argue over what to do with her while Wonder Woman enters the fray and takes her to train with her on Themescyra. Meantime, Darkseid has been monitoring the events and decides to make Kara one of his new lieutenants!

What comes is an all out battle over the fate of Kara. Will she become one of earth's newest saviors or one of their biggest threats?

Also included is 4 episodes from the 90's Superman series that centers around Darkseid (Apokolips....Now! pts. 1 and 2) and Supergirl (in her own two parter). You also get a 10 minute short featuring Green Arrow and some behind the scenes extras mainly discussing Darkseid and the mythology behind him, Mr. Miracle, Orion and New Genesis. All created by the late, great Jack Kirby!

Overall, a good use of $20 if you have that to spend!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best DC animation available, April 29, 2011
Well, we have Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Darkseid, and some step characters really expressive, like Barda, the furies and a solid story. And, introducing Kara Zor-el, the Supergirl, back from the death!!! Lots of extras, including the old Kara story, back from the beginning till her tragic death on Crisis on Infinite Earths, best DC saga ever!!!! Really this is a must have on the fans collection, the animation is beautiful, and, whoever likes Superman or Batman, or even Wonderwoman, will enjoy a really good time watching this pic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Kryptonians, a Bat and Amazonians..., September 8, 2011
Marcus Smith (St. Louis. MO USA) - See all my reviews
Superman / Batman Apocalypse... mainly dealing with a newly arrived Kryptonian, an overdue return of Wonder Woman
(voiced by Susan Eisenberg) and the being that menaced the DC Universe beyond Lex Luthor... Darkseid. As many
disagreements that Superman and Batman have had in roughly 70+ years, they actually are more alike than not so.
Granny Goodness, played by Edward Asner.... great choice. The `Apocalypse' incarnation of Darkseid is more reserved,
patient and yet... devious (as only the great Jack Kirby could develop). The most brutal battle between Superman
and Darkseid other than `Twilight' from Justice League and `Destroyer' from Justice League Unlimited. Intense and
loaded with action.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Honestly Don't Know How I Feel About This One, November 5, 2011
D. A. Reed (Elkton, MD USA) - See all my reviews
When I saw this last September, after the awesome Under the Red Hood, I was EXTREMELY disappointed! If I had typed a review last year, I more than likely would've given it two stars. When it finished, and even after seeing the preview for All-Star Superman, I was actually considering not buying anymore of the DCU films. Out of the then nine movies, six of them I greatly enjoyed, one was just OK (Superman: Doomsday) and two I flat out didn't enjoy at all (this and Gotham Knight though there are some mild redeeming qualities to the two). It just felt boring, the title itself is, as others have said, misleading. It should've retained the title from the comic as very little happens on Darkseid's planet nor is there some "apocalyptic" scheme by the manical tyrant. And again I must complain about ANOTHER Superman villain being featured! Sure Batman's villains may not have the strength to take on the Man of Steel, but none of Superman's bad guys play sadistic mind games when compared to Joker, Riddler or even Scarecrow. I hate to seem like that should be a major criticism against this and the last Superman/Batman film, but everytime they team these two heroes, they always seem to pick one of the Man of Steel's rogues over the Dark Knight. Are the other Superman/Batman stories like that?

After a year of owning it, I've watched it twice, the most recent being just a half hour ago so I could refresh myself on the movie and I must it admit, it was actually better the second time around. Though only slightly; it moved at a faster pace than the last time but quite a few problems remain. At first I didn't like the animation (though when compared to Public Enemies, I'm glad those ridiculous six-pack abs are gone) but it grew on me for this second viewing though the very prominent upper lip of Superman and Batman bugs me and almost look like mustaches to me in wider shots but for close-ups they look fine. Darkseid however doesn't look good here as he did in Superman: TAS and JL/JLU, he almost looks simian rather than alien. My other main gripe is Supergirl; I know sex sells but why is she always posing provocatively or dressed as a stripper? Just because she's a younger female character, doesn't mean she needs to be wearing next to nothing. Not even Power Girl was like that in Public Enemies and she has that huge cleavage window. I feel Wonder Woman was the only character to come off well in this even though she seems like she was shoehorned in at the last minute (to clarify I've never read the comic so I don't know if she has an expanded role outside of what we see in the film). She just pops up out of nowhere and tells Superman that she's taking Kara to Paradise Island whether he likes it or not. Couldn't she have just asked him in a non-confrontational way? I can understand Wonder Woman's reasons for taking her but the only reason she zapped half the park anyway was because she scared the crap out of her. Barda also feels like a last minute inclusion. All they needed from her was a way to get to Apokolips but seeing as how she has a grudge against Darkseid and the others, I can understand why she tags along. The story also feels like a rehash of the two-part episode "Little Girl Lost" from S:TAS. The fight at the end with Darkseid seems redundant after the Superman/Supergirl fight but it does at least provide a reason for Kara's decision to fight with her cousin.

Another DCAU cast reunion with the legendary Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly, along with Susan Eisenberg and Edward Asner. Summer Glau, I really don't have an opinion on. She was alright but I'm just used to Nicholle Tom. Michael Ironside however was greatly missed. Darkseid didn't feel as intimidating or have a presence when he was on screen. Andre Braugher didn't live up to what I think Darkseid should sound like. At least when Frank Welker did Darkseid, it was a low, gravelly voice (even though it was just his Dr. Claw voice).

My opinion of it is better than it was a year ago, but it's really not one of their finer films. Thank goodness All-Star Superman changed my opinion on this line of films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story and fantastic animation, April 20, 2011
In what has to be the best quality animation yet for any of the DCU films, the story still takes the center stage. While I think it would have been better titled as Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman" Apocalypse, since Wonder Woman plays a pivotal part, the movie is fantastically well-presented.

Returning to voice the heroes are the same folks who did so well in the Batman and Superman animated series, Kevin Conroy's unparalleled Batman and Tim Daly's Superman are extremely well-done in the voice acting and the animation. We see their internal conflicts reflected in their faces (limited exposure that may be for Batman), hear their anguish and anger and determination and conviction in their voices. The sardonic wit that permeated so much of the Justice League episodes and the few Superman/Batman crossovers during their animated series runs reappears and makes long-time viewers feel at home. Reprising her role as Wonder Woman (from the JL series), Susan Eisenberg once more delivers the best voice acting for her character just as well as the men do on theirs.

The story centers around a re-imagining of Supergirl's origin. In this version, her ship crashlands in Gotham, where Batman is forced to deal with her before her newfound and uncontrolled powers demolish the city he is sworn to protect. Superman, of course, learns of her presence, and takes charge of her education and indoctrination. She progresses quickly, learning English in under a week and gaining some control over her powers. However, distrust from Batman and Krypto (who appears so briefly he could have been excluded altogether), drive her to rebel from Superman's "control" the way any other moronic teenage girl would be written to do. Wonder Woman intervenes, taking young Kara to Paradise Island where she can be free to learn how best to handle her powers amongst a setting and populace more resilient than found in Metropolis. There we get to see the Amazons treating Superman with contempt despite the fact he could destroy them and their island with nary a wisp of effort if he so chose, and the viewer momentarily wishes Superman lacked his heroic principles that he might teach the Amazons a well-deserved lesson in humility.

However, it is the machinations of Darkseid that kick the story into overdrive. Abducting Kara to install her as the captain of his personal guard, the Furies, Darkseid faces down the heroes on his home turf. We get the creepiest incarnation yet of Granny Goodness on the screen, with a man voicing the character who is rendered as anti-feminine as could be. Here we get a failing in the voice casting, as Andre Braugher, though a great actor, is not so great as a voice actor. Lacking the emotive power that Michael Ironside gave the character in the various animated series, Darkseid comes across as rather weak be comparison, when he should dominate every scene.

There is a rescue with a premature celebration before a much more significant battle on Earth itself. We see the Kryptonians show their mettle in a life or death fight, with the outcome rather easily foreseen even for those who did not read the graphic novel.

In terms of the visual presentation, this is the new gold standard by which the DCU films should be judged. There are several special features which can educate those who might not be familiar with the origins of the various New Gods characters, as well as the excellent Green Arrow short. It's a great tale, with fantastic art and voice acting for the most part, and will not disappoint anyone who might, like me, have been on the fence about this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect translation of a DC Universe comic book, March 10, 2011
What these other reviewers fail to realize this is an amazing adaptation of Jeff Loebs', and Michael Turner's Superman/Batman Volume 2. The animation reflects The late Turner's artwork, scene for scene. The pacing is quick, and Timm's production values are outstanding.
The retelling of the Supergirl saga, updates that particular chapter in Superman history, placing Darkseid into the mix just makes for more cohesive storytelling. The extras, are right on and DC pulls no punches in offering it's audience, a total package of classic animation
Thank you DCU for releasing this direct to DVD release

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment For a Fan, January 23, 2011
The good: I like the cast and the art is very well animated (though some of the designs are a little weak).

The Bad: the characters play hot potato with the idiot ball the entire script, failing to work together like friends should (seriously, the Amazons and Wonder Woman kidnap Supergirl, and the damage Supergirl causes resisting is what they point to as a reason for taking her in; question, why didn't Wonder Woman just say, "hey Clark, I have experience training women with super powers, let me teach her and have her stay on Paradise Island for a while", in stead of the kidnapping). And when the characters act out of character, and the dialogue and story progression are so stilted and poorly done, it is hard to care about the action sequences.

I love DC comics, and I love Timm's animation productions, and I don't think this measured up to the lofty work of the past, nor stood alone as a good picture on its own merits.

3.0 out of 5 stars Supergirl/Superman, November 4, 2010
I must say that while the story was fairly enjoyable, it was a bit misleading. Batman is largely unnecessary for the plot. He seems to be included only because the story began in Gotham. It focuses mostly on Supergirl and her arrival on Earth, and her eventual notice by Darkseid. I found it worthwhile and a good story if you like Kara and Superman in general, though it seems to me if it's called Superman/Batman, it should involve both characters about equally.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting storyline but a very misleading title, November 15, 2010
The story of this animated feature is decent. However, its title is very misleading. When I saw it, I was excited because I thought it was about Superman and Batman fighting off an invasion from Apocalyse. After I watched it, I was dismay by the fact that the center focus of the story was Supergirl.

I do love fighting scene between Superman, Supergirl and Darkseid.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse