Published 12 months ago by Humble Human

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute game.
Just not what I was looking for, works fine in that I never had any freezing issues or crashes while playingthis game.
Published 10 months ago by Ronald A. Combs

4.0 out of 5 stars MiniSquadron = DELIGHTFUL DOG FIGHTS with lots of cool POWER-UPS, March 24, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
MiniSquadron has great HD Graphics (better than the sample clips). The Controls are an ON-Screen Joystick and s Fire Button that work very well once you get used to them. You get to choose from many different cool Planes after you play awhile and they all have different specifications like Weight, Speed, Weapons, etc. They can STALL like real planes and recover if you pull up in time properly.
Game play is lots of Fun and has Realistic feel to it. Blue arrows tell you when and where OFF-Screen enemies are approaching so you can get ready for them. Messages pop up when you are starting to Stall or when you fly TOO LOW so it helps you to attempt recovery before you crash.

Graphics are high quality HD and the Music and Sound Effects are very good. Sound levels can be adjusted from Options Menu. Controls are easy to learn and work Smoothly on my Tablet.
Lots of Power-Ups (like Stars and Hearts) can be acquired by catching them in flight.
Information Bar on top of screen tells you how many Lives you have left, Enemies left, etc.
It is fast paced but not a FRANTIC level from what I have seen so far. Very simple and ENJOYABLE.

Seems like a well designed game with no obvious flaws or annoyances that I have seen. The only thing I would like to see different is an OPTION TO REVERSE CONTROLS from left to right Joystick so people (like myself) with hand disabilities or weaknesses in dexterity can compensate by swapping.

It is very Enjoyable, Challenging, Entertaining and Fun to engage the other Aircraft in Combat. I like this app and would Recommend it to anyone who likes this type of game. It is a Keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly on Kindle Fire first gen!, March 24, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
Normally, I don't write reviews. I only do so for games that are really good in my opinion that don't have many reviews at the time. So here is my opinion on the game so far.

Graphics: 10/10: Everything looks smooth and colorful, and the sprite animations are nicely done.

Music: 9/10: The music is mostly classical, but it somehow fits the frantic mood of the game.

Customization: 9/10: (Kind of a weird category, I know) From what I've seen, there are about fifty different planes you can choose from once they're all unlocked, and each plane has it's own stats. However, I haven't seen a designer, which isn't a huge deal, but it'd be cool to make a custom plane.

Controls: 10/10: The game controls very well. You get a large on-screen joystick on the bottom left of the screen, and a single fire button on the bottom-right. The joystick responds well to your movements, and you pretty much just have to keep your thumb on the fire button, as I haven't seen any reason to let off it.

Gameplay: 10/10: Amazing gameplay. basically, the aforementioned joystick controls all movement. If you want to fly in any direction, move the joystick in that direction. To fire, obviously, you tap the fire button. to keep firing, hold down on it. In each level, you get a certain number of waves of enemies, and you have to destroy them all before they destroy you. If you DO get destroyed, worry not! You have three lives, and extra ones are available as pickups in the levels! (although, later ones, I'm not sure of.) If you fly too low, you get a "Low altitude" warning. fly too high, and your plane stalls. Hit the ground, you die. get shot too many times by enemy planes, you die.

Other notes: I haven't gotten to experience multiplayer yet, but I can imagine it would be awesome, especially with a lot of friends playing at once.

Also, I got the game on March 24th, 2013 when it was the FAOTD, but would definitely pay for it.

Verdict: Get it, whether it's still the FAOTD or not. It's awesome!

-Nashew-

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Squadron Frantic Shooter, March 23, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
First of all you only need to be connected to Wi-Fi if you want to play Multi-player, but otherwise you don't need internet connection to play this.
The Graphics are quite nice on the Nexus and the Music is Fantastic.....I could play this all day just so I could listen to the music of the famous composers...Beethoven, Tchaikovsky.
This is fun, I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as this.....but I am and like I said, the music makes it more fun, abit more dramatic.
You are incontrol of a small plane and you have to destroy your enemies before they destroy you.
Perform loop-the-loops.....inwhich I love doing.
There are over 50 planes to unlock and to collect, but I keep on crashing at the moment so I know it will be a long time before I manage to unlock half of that amount.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good With a Caveat, March 24, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
Playing this game makes me miss using a true joystick - you know those little handles sticking out of a grey box with perhaps a couple colorful buttons on it that most haven't truly used since circa 1985. This is the type of game perfected for that piece of hardware that makes me want to dig mine out even though the Kindle would simply look at that antiquated technology and permanently shut itself down before being attached to something so quaint.

Instead we are given a touchscreen joystick and it's amusing at times to see something that would be considered retro be recreated for current technology. I'm not completely sold on touchscreen joysticks as my fingers tend to not slide well at times and it requires holding the Kindle in a certain way so I can move and shot at the same time in these games. Yet for MiniSquadrom it's the only type of control that I can see working and for what it is, it works well and is responsive.

In this game you fight waves of planes in a small area. Unlike games of this genre of yor where you continued to pass the background as you shot down the enemy, you are kept between two invisible walls that you fly between. While it is obvious that you do not want to hit the ground, if you fly up too high you can also stall, which is a nice touch. Sadly the instructions for the stall about turning into the way you are falling isn't all that helpful when you are falling straight down. Trial and error will make you a pro at recovering from a stall.

There are power-ups in the game that looking like falling stars of different colors that you can catch. If they hit an enemy plane first they're gone. They are a bit finicky and you have to be careful that you aren't going to run into the ground while desperately trying to grab one. You can also pick up extra lives and the hearts remain flying around on screen long enough to give you a fair chance to grab them. And you will want to grab them because as enemies become more dangerous you will die a lot due to poorly timed stall recoveries right into area of affect attacks. Fortunately your little plane is made from the strongest metal known to the dwarfs of Moria and can be riddled with bullets, missiles and other planes running straight through it before you finally crash and burn like the irresponsible hero you are.

The one thing I truly dislike is when it tells you that you've completed the wave or reached a check point. The message itself appears in a bar across the middle of the screen with the rest slightly darkened. But the game is not paused. So if you have chosen this unfortunate time to go into a stall it's going to be that much harder to recover. I'm fine with giving me messages but if it's going to be in the way of the game then the game needs to be paused or the message needs to be moved.

All in all this is a fun little game. Looking at the price I recall getting most of the shooters I played two decades ago for around $5 from a bargain bin, so the price seems fair for the content. There are 56 planes you can unlock total and looking at the shadows of yet to earn planes raises many questions such as how can I ride a trident and when did whales learn to fly. It could be very interesting to see what all these planes look like and do.

It works well, for all you Kindle Fire HD users out there. I would give it between 3.5 - 4 stars with a few extra points to providing classical music that is complimentary to blowing things up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini Squadron = Mighty Fun!, April 4, 2013
J. Ruhl "PopDog14" (Aliso Viejo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
Mini Squadron is a must-have for shoot-em up fans and anyone else looking for a simple yet addictive game to just pick up and play! With many levels and even more airplanes to choose from, there's tons of replay value to be had here. The game has so much character, with each plane animating in their own cute way. Everything about it feels high quality, and the chaotic dog-fights are beautiful to just even watch. The asking price of $3 may be a little steep, but Mini Squadron is a great game addition to your app collection.

Graphics - Gorgeous graphics, from the detailed background scenery to the colorful planes trailing streams of smoke or flames.

Sound - Plenty to hear when planes, bullets, bombs and missiles are flying! The music is very interesting as it is just different popular classical pieces played on a piano. It fits very well with the comical and chaotic gameplay.

Controls - One of the few apps that doesn't slack on its virtual joystick and button controls! They work so well you don't even think about them, and its hard to when you are fighting for your life against wave after wave of enemy fighters. I noticed the controls are very flexible and forgiving, allowing you to press the button without your finger having to be too accurate on the button.

Gameplay - Very addicting! On my Galaxy Note 2, the game runs great and loads fast. There's plenty of challenge completing the levels and tons of fun unlocking and playing as different planes, and there's A LOT of planes to choose from. The random power-ups also help keep things interesting and humorous, with my favorite power-up being the mega laser! A multiplayer mode is also included for up to 2 players versus each other over the Wi-Fi. I haven't tried this, but sounds like a very fun feature! Would be better if it were cooperative instead of competitive though.

5 of out 5 stars! Aim high!

5.0 out of 5 stars fun game, April 8, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
fun game, couldn't put it down the first day. was even better on my wife's ten inch tablet because of the bigger screen size. kids love it too, fun to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly suprised, April 5, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
I thought I would just give this one a try and it became the game I wanted to play all the time. Great variety and as the difficulty rises it is just challenging enough to keep me interested without feeling impossible

5.0 out of 5 stars extremely fun, April 4, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
Great game I recommend it to anyone great to pass the time with and is super fun I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, April 4, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
I love this game too much I spend many hours playing in the daytime !!!!!
Hope everybody else like too

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!!, April 4, 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron (App)
Absolutely love this game! even got my friends to pick it up! I just wish it had more levels. :)

ARRAY(0xd9541024)