Supernatural: Season 8 [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$27.93+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Benny, the vampire that Dean escaped Purgatory with finally re-enters the story after being introduced in the first episode. Benny is on the track of vengeance and is hunting his maker when he takes on too many other vampires in a fight. He calls Dean for aid and assistance and as Dean is both loyal to Benny and things are still tense between Sam and Dean, he goes to Benny's assistance giving Sam the minimum of explanation.

What follows is a story of cunning, revenge, love and loss with very little redemption - and it is an excellent story indeed. I am so impressed with the new season of Supernatural. I read recently that the creators are hoping to tell their story over ten seasons and if the show continues at this new level of quality I will be watching with renewed passion. Supernatural is a real winner this season. Catch up on all the episodes.

A final note, the actor who plays Benny plays him with a laconic, creepy, sexual appeal and it really adds to the interest of the character. Again, Supernatural has improved this season in leaps and bounds.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2013
Okay, I started watching this show because it was about two guys, in a car, killing the kinds of monsters that made me unable to watch horror films. And it was good, and therapeutic, because at the end of each episode, the scary-scary things were DEAD.

Then they brought a certain seraph into the cast and I was hook-line-and-sinkered. You might say my interest was raised from Perdition too.

Season 4: angsty, angel-y goodness.
Season 5: just keeps getting better
Season 6: not sure where they're going with this, but still worth the ride
Season 7: remembering that the series is good for many more reasons than just angels and demons.

And then I was stuck and had to buy Season 8. So let's talk about that choice:

Does Season 8 drag in places? Yes.
Does it have stupid crap in it? Yes.
Does it have moments that make me punch the air at the WIN involved? Absolutely.
Is it so meta in spots that it hurts? You bet.
Do I love the new additions to the cast? You bet your sweet bippy. Felicia Day FTW, among others.

So why 4 stars? Because I got to the last episode and swore like a sailor. For the first time in 3 years, I have to find some way to keep following this show. THAT was worth $40.

(Also, the chance to see Castiel go seriously archangel now and again? Well worth the price of admission.)

Excuse me while I go obsessively re-watch this.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Review contains light spoilers.

After some of the missteps of the last couple of season of Supernatural, I had my worries about what a new season would bring, but if the rest of Season 8 lives up to the premier, my worries will have been in vain. I loved the opening and the set-up of the season long arcs and the introduction of new characters.

When we left Sam and Dean at the end of Season 7, Dean was in Purgatory and Cas had just disappeared, Kevin, the new prophet had been kidnapped by the always delightful Crowley, Bobby's soul had been set free in death and Sam was left all alone to find Dean, save Kevin and fight the Leviathons. It turns out that Sam did none of those things, a character choice that is sure to be controversial but that has some roots in past behavior and plots. Dean it seems may have been a very bad boy in Purgatory, a place he nicknamed Pure, no doubt because of the purity of the intent to survive that is necessary. It seems that in Purgatory, upon the disappearance of Cas, Dean teamed with a sexy, Southern vampire named Benny. Cas is dead or close enough to it to make no difference according to Dean and this forms the first mystery. Just what did happen to Cas and how did Dean get out of Pure? The viewer gets tantalizing glimpses of Dean and Benny's time in Purgatory via flashback.

Kevin has grown a lot in the last year mostly because necessity is the mother of invention and desperation is the father of survival. Kevin was kidnapped by Crowley and shown another tablet to translate. How he escaped Crowley and begged Sam for help is also shown in flashback.

Women, as always fare badly in the Supernatural universe with one death and one desertion in the first episode alone, but this seems to be the norm for Supernatural. Geekboys have no idea how to write realistic women or realistic relationships with women whether romantic or platonic, they can only do fantasy wish fulfillment (Dean's overwhemlming number of notches on his belt) or idealization of dead women (mom, Jessica, Meg, Jo, etc. etc. etc, the list is far too long) but idealization of dead women was good enough for Edgar Allen Poe, arguably one of the first nerd writers of the supernatural and fantastic so I suppose the writers are in good company here.

All in all a great set-up to the season, including the character controversy and I look forward to see where the writers are going to take it.

One last footnote, the Leviathan, those monsters whose weakness is a Victorian bug killer, are around but don't seem like they will be a focus for the season. Supernatural fans should check this out with no worries and newbies should start with the first season and catch-up. Recommended to fans of sci-fi and urban fantasy.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The two lead actors in this show, Jared Padalecki and Jenson Ackles, have the ability to do anything! The show shifts seamlessly between compellingly moving moments and laugh out loud humor due in large part to the great acting and writing on the show. A character driven dynamo, Supernatural blends action fantasy with subtle human emotion in every episode. The plots build and arc over each season, and I for one, cannot wait to see what happens next.
on April 1, 2013
The eighth season has returned to focus on the relationship of Dean and Sam just as Jeremy Carver promised it would. The story arc of the tablets is the filler episodes and it is playing out over three years. Our brothers have struggled, but finally found one another again. That's the whole point of the season. It's well worth my time and money to watch this show/dvd's and judging by the ratings and the early renewal for a ninth season, I know I'm not alone. It's not every "little" show that can knock NBC out of the top slot...and Supernatural has.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2013
I have enjoyed every season of this show. Its a guilty pleasure of mine because its fun, and offers a nice escape from the the day to day.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2013
Gone are the days of high intensity, atmospheric Supernatural. This show was once exemplary for its adherence to actual occultism and paranormal experience, it had the dark terror and horror feeling of the Lionsgate Texas Chainsaw Masacre, and a hilarious sense of humor. Now it has more in common with "Grimm" (one of its more awful copycats) than it ever should. Instead of new and exciting adventures it has become almost ho hum, another predictable situation with expected solutions. Still the best show on TV which makes its loss of occult horror and adventure and unexpected and unknown situations all the harder to bare.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2015
Supernatural's Season 8 had some really good spots. Dean's journey in Purgatory and friendship with Benny is one such point. Sam's "normal life" with the 'white picket fence' life, while great for him, didn't improve the story much other than to let the viewers know what was happening with him.

Naomi, the newest 'person we love to hate' had an interesting position. As a monitor of heaven she seemed to have ulterior motives. Her relationship with Castiel was always in question. The main person we love to hate, Crowley... Well, Crowley is Crowley. When the writers have him in mind, you know there's going to be some fun. Personally, I really like Mark A. Shepherd's portrayal of The King of Hell. He seems like he's having a blast with the character. (And, as a sidebar, I see Crowley as an extension to his portrayal of Badger in Firefly.)

The introduction to the Men of Letters and their new "Batcave" was a cool twist. Take Bobby's house and multiply it by 1000 and you've the Men of Letters' HQ. The guys have seemed to settled into their lair nicely. Kevin the Prophet was busy translating/decoding the various tablet "Word of God" written by Metatron while dodging demons and Crowley. Metatron, (Curtis Armstrong aka Booger from Revenge of the Nerds) had been "plucked from obscurity", his words, to be the scribe of God. We find out later that Metatron, like most of the other angels we've been introduced to, has an ulterior motive. That leaves Cass. Poor Cass. As hard as he tries to be a good guy, he just doesn't seem to get there. Much like his inability to understand humans, Cass cannot grasp judgment of character.

Season 8 does not leave the viewer wanting for anything except perhaps the "ganking of monsters". Yes, there's monsters, occasionally. But most of the season has been dedicated to the above.
on November 23, 2014
I love the series, particularly Jenson Ackles/Dean Winchester's character and performance.

Highlights include the progression of Kevin, who became savvy and brave.

Love Abaddon, played by Alaina Huffman, who just relished the role. Such a great actress. Just the little nuances - surprise at Crowley's rise, her malicious smiles. She was a worthy villain and a welcome addition to the franchise. I wish there was more of her. She became a quick favorite. I especially enjoyed her performance in Clip Show and Sacrifice.

The bad was Naomi/Naomi Tapping, who was an unnecessary functional bureaucrat. I really didn't care for her, and her chemistry with Sam, Dean and even Crowley just wasn't there. She just didn't fit. The series really didn't need her.

But worse than Naomi was the character of Liane Balaban/Amelia Richardson. Is there a more worthless character in the Supernatural franchise? I loathed every scene with her, so much that I had to turn the channel. The show came to an abrupt screech every time she was on screen. Her placidity wore on my nerves, and I detested her more than any other character. She was added for the sake of having more female characters, and it showed. She was superfluous and extraneous, and I couldn't understand what Sam saw in her. No offense to the actress; I just hated the whole storyline.

I liked Lauren Tom/Linda Tran and I especially enjoyed Ty Olsson/Benny Lafitte's dilemma.

I know Charlie Bradbury/Felicia Day is a fan favorite, but I really don't care for her. She is weak and awkward, and I just cringe every time she appears.

As the series progressed, the show got better with the introduction of Abaddon and Metatron. (Really hated Curtis Armstrong in the role, and I really didn't like that a writer was a villain.) But the highlights sang more than the bad episodes.

The season finale was my favorite.
on June 9, 2014
My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoy watching this show together and it can get expensive renting, but this is an easy and fun way to avoid that.