5.0 out of 5 stars Radin's Most Reader-Friendly Book Yet
Published 19 months ago by K. Hoffman

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh..
I always approach this kind of material with a very open mind. I WANT IT TO BE TRUE! But I'm a skeptic at heart. So it's a nice balance I think.

Published 18 months ago by Scott Kehn

5.0 out of 5 stars Radin's Most Reader-Friendly Book Yet, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Supernormal: Science, Yoga, and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities (Paperback)
Dean Radin has put together something pretty special in "Supernormal." His first two books are fantastic and are must-reads for anyone interested in psi research. Nonetheless, they are not quite so reader-friendly as this one is. Radin starts off by asking whether or not the Buddha amassed such a worldwide following simply on account of being a "nice guy" with morally edifying teachings or if, perhaps, he and Christ and any number of other religious figures may have actually had some of the paranormal capacities they have been historically noted for having. Intrigued? I was.

Radin then gives us a tour de force survey of Patanjali's views on yoga and the manner in which contemplative practices have been known for several millennia to produce psi abilities in those who are disciplined enough to undergo them. I found this to be one of the most interesting aspects of the book - a top notch scientist actually bridging the realms of spiritual and scientific endeavor into a single whole. This competent bridging of science and spirituality is something I've been waiting all my life to see and my feeling while reading was one of hope: that this book might be among the first of an emerging new genre.

As the book progresses, we get to hear about Radin's newer psi experiments and the very exciting findings he has been getting in the last several years. There is much to digest here in regard to what these findings mean about being human and about our potential to develop and understand ourselves in exciting and meaningful new ways. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in non-dogmatic spirituality. Anyone who appreciates both the method of science and the aim of religion stands to gain a great deal from Radin's "Supernormal."

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER IMPORTANT, July 24, 2013
Robert Steven Thomas (author, researcher, retired executive) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is about the current state of affairs in the scientific field of legitimate psi and paranormal research. For those who are unfamiliar with the author, Dean Radin is one of the world's most towering forces active in this field. Radin is also the head of the Institute of Noetic Science (IONS), established almost 40 years ago by former American astronaut and moon-walker Dr. Edgar Mitchell. IONS is today one of the world's foremost research institutes for the study of "consciousness." Though the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), as one of the leading science institutes in the world, formally inducted the Para-psychological Association into its organization in 1969, the ugly truth is the majority of the science and academic leaders in the world continue to snub their noses and ignore the important research, knowledge and cutting-edge progress that has been made in the field of parapsychology over the last 50 years. The biased cynicism of these dinosaurs is totally unacceptable and diametrically opposed to legitimate advancement in any age of reason. As a great man once said - "The discovery of important new knowledge is entirely irrelevant to its implications."
DR. Radin uses the subject and history of Yoga, and some of the more fantastic claims by its ancient adherents as a backdrop to present many of the legitimate new research projects and current evidence which supports the factuality and existence of consciousness as a distinct force of nature and integral component of the universe. He also describes some of the most current repeatable scientific testing and results which strongly support the legitimacy of genuine paranormal presence in many humans. This book is written for the layman and is highly understandable to any reader with a high school diploma or the equivalent. Radin's style is light and breezy with a good portion of wit and cheeky humor mixed in. He also explains the hypocrisy and core controversies behind the atheistic, scientific-materialist's worldview. If you have any interest in learning more about consciousness, the human brain and its ultimate potential this book is an absolute must-read and belongs in your library.
Intelligent Intervention

5.0 out of 5 stars Superjob!, July 18, 2013
Bruce (Greenbrae, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I did not read this book looking for evidence of extraordinary psychic abilities. I have experienced many of the things that are discussed here, beginning almost forty years ago, and since that time my search has been for the truth about what they are, where they come from and how to get more of them in my life. Over the years, that search has evolved from being part of the content of my life to being the context of my life.

One thing this book has done for me is to fill in some of the holes and gaps in my picture of what it is and how it works (the "it" being "life"), from an organized, logical and expanded perspective. If I had this book at the beginning, I am certain that I would be at least ten years younger now than I am. But, of course, this kind of book didn't exist forty years ago, and barely exists today, no thanks to the community in which the author matured. The "Scientific Community" itself is the main roadblock to not only this kind of book, but also to unlocking the mysteries of the universe which will allow us to thrive, excel and actualize our full potential, and may be the answer to our survival as individuals and as a species. So this subject is not some obtuse esoteric woo-woo BS the critics try to make it out to be, it is something everyone on the planet should have high on their list of priorities, "the possibilities in being human."

As I read through the book, there were parts I skimmed over. I am not interested in details of an experiment designed to provide evidence of precognition or telepathy. I have had direct experience of both, and a variety of others. I was bored last time I saw that information in some of Radin's work, or someone else's work. But as I stand back and look at this work as a whole, it looks to me as though a mild-mannered reporter of the Daily Truth has slipped into a phone-booth (are they still around?) and transformed into someone who kicked butt, named names, and, as always, done his homework thoroughly. He has provided irrefutable evidence for his thesis and at the same time said to his critics (who have the attitude, "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts"), "calling it `woo-woo' and then disregarding it totally is no longer acceptable. Here are the facts, take your best shot. Fundamentalism in science is about as constructive and useful as it is in the middle-east or in the US Congress." (Maybe that last sentence is just my interpretation, and if I were to expand my interpretation, I would say to critics named in this book, "consider your butt kicked, and if you don't like it, respond to the kicking as described herein").

So, I give this book five stars, because I can't give it ten. I call it "spherical perfection" because if you stand back and look at it from any direction it is perfect. I only hope that if Superdean ever decides to look for a sidekick, I get the chance to audition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supernormal is Super-fantastic, July 31, 2013
I recently attended the annual conference of IONS (Institute of Noetic Science) and this was the first time that I had the pleasure of meeting Dean Radin. I mention this because Dean's speaking style and demeanor are also reflected in "Supernormal", his most recent book, and these qualities are what make his work interesting and informative. Contrary to what seems to be the standard stereo type of scientists, Dean, Bruce, and the other scientists at IONS have an uncanny ability to make scientific research and technical information more palatable to those who do not have a scientific background.

As for the book itself, "Supernormal" is a wonderful blend of scientific research and all things yoga. Dean uses his skills and scientific background to investigate the claims appearing in the ancient Yoga Sutras. Originating around 2000 years ago and compiled and recorded by Patanjali, the Yoga Sutras discuss more than just the standard, physical aspects of yoga, they also discuss mental/meditation practices that enable the practitioner to activate extraordinary powers. Of course many believe that such feats of super human abilities are simply the stuff of exaggerated legends and delusional observations. With standard, repeatable, scientifically based experiments Dean demonstrates that many of the superhuman feats found in the ancient text are indeed possible. Certainly no claim is made that all of the feats can be substantiated; however, there does appear to be a growing body of evidence that supernormal abilities do exist and they are not exclusive to a select few. It has been demonstrated over and over again that pre-cognitive abilities, psychokinesis, telepathy and various other abilities are inherent in everyone, it's just that these abilities are not as developed as they are in those people who practice certain mental and physical techniques.

With modern research in hand Dean shows the reader that it is often the illogical and biased views of a small group of skeptics, who have not kept up with modern research, that use their own personal limitations/biases/agendas to deliberately cast doubt on the research being done at the frontiers of human development. Rather than view the new research with an open mind and stretch the boundaries of their knowledge, they seem to prefer the comfort and certainty that living on a flat earth provides. In my biased opinion, a true scientist is fascinated by the unknown and he/she is motivated to explore new frontiers. I believe that Dean shares these views and he is indeed living the wise words shared by Rumi so long ago, "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment."

4.0 out of 5 stars Review and a Thank You, July 22, 2013
I greatly enjoyed the book Dr. Radin has put together. It was not only easy to read but I found it quite enjoyable in it's entirety. Sometimes non-fiction works by scientists can be a laborious read to get through all the details. Not so with this latest book from Dean Radin. The book flowed very well I thought and I consumed it much faster than I expected I would.

The Forward by Deepak Chopra was also very good and worth mentioning. I would like to quote a sentence from that: "Behind the cliche that you create your own reality there is a shadow: If you don't create your own reality, it will be created for you." Apropos and telling of the content to come throughout the book.

I found the early chapters extremely enjoyable. These focused on a brief history of Yoga and it's roots and into it's foothold here in the West. Dean did take a brief moment to make a point of the vast changes Yoga has gone through to become what it is today. Especially the major changes moving it from the East to the West to be acceptable in our Western, and (unfortunately)frankly blinded religious mindset. I do wish, however, that he would have spoken about the changes Yoga has been through so we can better understand it's quite literal mystical roots.

Dean takes us through a brief synopsis of the spread of the Yogic system to the use of the scientific method and experiments on Yoga's 'results. While this is fascinating to learn what has been done from the scientists perspective as a practicing person I was not surprised at the results. I think that will likely be the case for most people who practice more than just the Asanas (poses)of Yoga and especially for those who have practiced the meditation aspect and the Pranayamas (breathing).

My THANK YOU to dean comes with a personal story:

I have been searching for answers to Yoga related 'events for quite a long time. There is a rare but UNBELIEVABLY powerful event which can occur from Yoga practice called a Kundalini rising. This was completely left out of the book likely due to it's rarity and possibly because it's not exactly repeatable in a lab environment. I was initially hoping to find some mention of this in the book but did not. This event in my life was so powerful, and unexpected, that I thought I was going to be literally obliterated from the energy. It is an indescribable event that I was neither seeking nor desiring at the time. I was quite blindsided by it and thus had less than an optimal experience with it since I was practicing alone at the time.

The after effects of this event ARE clearly described in the book however. I had DAILY significant psychic events ranging from literal visions of the near future (in which 98% came true), hearing other peoples thoughts and knowing their intentions, as well as knowing for certain what moods people were in and if they were lying. This went on for weeks and weeks after the Kundalini event and still to a lesser degree today.

I wanted to pass on my thanks to Dean for bringing the scientific proof of this reality to everyone including myself. You have no idea how alone you feel when this event happens to you and there is nobody else (including your own Guru or teacher) who has had this experience. As I said it's rare but not unknown. I felt very alone and really had nobody to talk to about it. Furthermore it was so powerful that I was literally too scared for a very long time to do anymore Kundalini Yoga even though it's my favorite form. I now realize there are many others who have had such experiences and they have also turned out 'ok' so to speak.

So Thank You Dean, for pointing out that it's a reality that others experience and offering the proof that we're not all in our heads about it. I knew it was a reality due to the events that followed but it's a comfort to have a wonderful open-minded and very intelligent scientist to point that out as well.

I'm sure I will enjoy your future books as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important book, June 2, 2014
This is an important book in that it extensively documents the rigorous scientific testing that has gone on for many years now to prove that psi abilities actually exist. It debunks the poor arguments of skeptics and non-scientific biases they use to discredit genuine psi research.

The one caveat I would offer to readers of this type of book or those interested in developing their own psi powers is that this is not a workbook or instruction manual in any sense. Rather its just an extensive treatise on documented evidence in the field itself.

There are certain concepts and directions you are led to just by the fact that Radin covers a wide range of psi abilities here, that could help you in further research into developing psi powers. So don't entirely discount the value of the book in that regard.

If you are a person interested in developing these abilities this would be a well deserved addition to your library.

I personally view the current world we live in, with its primitive, dogmatic and irrational scientific outlook as akin to the Middle Ages where the Earth was believed to be the center of the universe and few people ever left their villages their entire lives. Established science today is as backward and prejudiced in its approach to psi abilities as the church was to basic science in the Middle Ages.

So I recommend this book if you want to rise up above the skeptics. Let them live in their gray little world. You don't have to.

(I say all this with the additional understanding that basic science is a great thing, and has brought great good to civilization in many respects. Yet it has become a religon of intolerance and hatred directed at anything it doesn't understand today - namely psi powers, and that is a tragedy civilization may never recover from.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and presient, July 18, 2013
A Brilliant book! Literally a keystone in the evolution from persecution and denial of the actual science demonstrating a non linear / non reductionist energetic universe and the dawn of refined unveiling of the multitude of actual scientific studies with clinical data that is irrefutable on the diverse evidence and the unquestionable facts of the non material non reductionist energetic world we live in and the powers of creativity we can use through disciplined practice and insight. intention and attention are still the keywords.
Buy this book change your life as you see the many ways that focused intention and mind insight can affect your dreams and wishes and desires and health and ultimately your connection to (Gasp!) Spirit. Hoping it also comes out as an audiobook soon too. Dean Radin has an incredible background in clinical study and the scientific method and Deepak, as usual has specific insights that get right to the point of specifically defusing the fundamentalists who dwell in flatland materialism. Thanks to both of these brilliant mentors and truly evolutionary artists

Hoping it will also come out as an audiobook for those of us who like to hear the authors in their own voice!!!.for now the book is excellent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh.., September 4, 2013

This book didn't do anything for me, but I'll give the good new first. It is very well written, and for the most part easy to follow. Radin is clearly well educated, and well versed in not only this field, but many others as well, which is nice. Made me feel like I was getting a more world wise perspective, as opposed to hearing from somebody who has had their head exclusively up the butt of their spiritual practice.

This book doesn't really amount to much though. The first half of the book is a complete waste. Instead of just cutting to the chase, Radin tells a lot of stories, quotes a lot of ancient scripts, and spends a painful amount of time counter arguing the counter arguments of critics, over research he hasn't even told us about yet.
It get's repetitive to say the least, and doesn't really accomplish anything, because he doesn't actually defend the research. Really, he just wastes a lot of ink trying to poke holes in the 'hole poking' tactics of critics. In essence, he tries to dissolve their speculation, semantics, statistics, and discrediting, by using speculation, semantics, statistics, and discrediting. It felt like a political debate. I couldn't help but wonder why he didn't forgo the petty squabbling, and just present the 'evidence' of PSI phenomena he kept mentioning. Sadly, the second half of the book made it clear why.

The results of the experiments were minimal, at best. Radin seemed to bank on the premise that the results, although barely noticeable, were statistically significant. As in the odds of them happening by chance were 1 in 20 or 1 in 500 or 1 in 100,000. For example, I remember the overall outcome of one group of experiments suggested that the subjects had a .02% psychic influence over the results of an RNG. Not exactly earth shattering. But since the "odds" of that result happening were so minimal, Radin spins it as scientific proof of psychic influence. When really, it's an insignificant result, deemed "significant" because it deviated ever so slightly from random chance.

To me this is the equivalent of flipping a coin 1,000,000 times, and coming to the conclusion that you are psychic, because the results were 49.08% heads, and 50.02% tails. Every experiment in the book is like this. Tiny tiny tiny tiny result, that although empirically useless, is somehow salvaged by statistical probability.

The one chapter I was hoping would be the saving grace was the psychokinesis chapter. Here, if nowhere else, we would get to SEE something, as opposed to just comparing minimal results against probabilities. But, like the rest of the book, it was a let down. The experiment, which I got the impression was to be the climax of the book, was so convoluted, I didn't even really know what they were trying to accomplish. Something along the lines of attempting to telekinetically collapse a particle of light from wave form into particle form, after it had been reflected off of multiple mirrors, by mentally influencing which slit the light traveled through in order to blah blah blah. After reading through it, I still couldn't even tell if the result was positive. With all the complexity, I got the strong sense the experimenters (and the author) were reaching.

I know the standards of the science in this book are probably up to par, and the statistics are sound, and all that. I suppose I just have unrealistic expectations of someday reading a book where somebody manages to accomplish something tangible, as they all seem to promise. Move a ping pong ball half an inch using telekinesis for instance, or show clairvoyance with accuracy better than .05% over chance. It was nice to get an insight into the research that is being conducted in this field, but that's the only thing I got out of this book. That and a brief history on the practice of yoga.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour-de-Force Scientific Exploration of the Extraordinary Qualities of Supernormal States, June 29, 2014
Dr. Dean Radin presents a scientific review of numerous special abilities humans can potentially develop, working from the framework of the siddhis from Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. Supernormal begins by discussing the mystical abilities yogis from India have been experiencing and writing about for thousands of years. While mystical abilities have been long associated with extensive meditation, the Yoga Sutras warn of the stumbling blocks of greed, ego and ignorance that can distract and interfere with people's focus on inner transformation, which should be the desired goal of meditation.

Discussion of yoga and yogic powers may seem irrelevant to most people living in the western world, yet the truth is that yoga has been making slow, steady inroads through western culture for some time. Most people now know, for example, that meditation can reduce stress and aid in healing. Westerners tend to practice yoga mostly as a physical activity, yet yoga is but part of a much greater spiritual and metaphysical mind-body-spirit practice.

Radin provides examples of laboratory studies and experimental results indicating that such yoga "superpowers" as: precognition, telepathy, psychokinesis, clairvoyance, and psi have been recognized in statistically significant ways as existing in the general populace. There are reasons for primarily conducting research laboratory trials with everyday, ordinary folks, though some studies do include experienced meditators. As Radin points out, we can view all the yogic siddhis as variations on three basic classes of extraordinary qualities of human experience: exceptional mind-body control, clairvoyance (including precognition and telepathy), and psychokinesis (mind-matter interaction).

One of the many interesting main points arising in Supernormal is that at elevated levels of awareness that experienced yogi masters and meditators attain, causal connections can be made through time and space in ways that seem to contradict what most people would consider common sense. Experiments have thus shown there can be such things as delayed choices, in which a future decision influences current or past events. Such bizarre happenings are just part of everyday life in the quantum realm, however, which Radin points out likely plays a significant role in our experience of all manner of psi abilities.

But wait, you may protest, what about the news we've heard from reporters who say the scientific evidence of the existence of psi is inconclusive, or that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? Dean Radin shares more than enough references, sources, and explanations of scientific rigor and method to put all but the most close-minded at ease. Radin also identifies some commonly held assumptions held by many people that run counter to what is now being observed in experiments in the field of quantum physics, such as: realism, localism, causality, mechanism, physicalism, materialism, determinism, and reductionism. As Radin explains, "Most college students in the Western world are taught these doctrines throughout their formal education, but they are not often presented as assumptions. It is rare to find a student who recognizes that these ideas are guidelines and not self-evident facts of nature. As a result, students who become working scientists find no reason to question the assumptions."

Yet question we must, if we intend to follow the spirit and the letter of the scientific method. And I know of no better place to start questioning than by reading Dean Radin's outstanding tour de force, "Supernormal."

5.0 out of 5 stars Radin does it again!, July 28, 2013
In Supernormal, Dean Radin brings a broad, inclusive perspective to some of the most challenging problems of our interesting times. Like one stop shopping, the discussion of his research and the work of others on some of my favorite subjects, especially presentiment and telepathy, bundled with his ever-present down-to-earth wit, makes Supernormal a book I can recommend to a wide spectrum of friends and acquaintances. I was particularly delighted to note that he touched briefly on the huge enigma the presence of UFOs presents to the human race. To those who think Supernormal describes the last word on consciousness I say stay tuned -- the next level of discoveries is bound to get even weirder. Supernormal makes a timely addition to Radin's authoritative scientific trilogy.

$14.00 $11.80