Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Supertramp: Live In Paris (1979) [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$16.69+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Supertramp's seventh album entitled Paris was released in October of 1980.
Now, a Blu-Ray (and DVD) has been released of the classic Supertramp performances from Paris in December of 1979 called Supertramp Live in Paris 1979.
The film was shot and recorded in December of 1979 in Paris, France at the Pavillion on the penultimate night of the band's Breakfast in America European tour. Supertramp Live in Paris is a superb concert film, capturing the band at the peak of their popularity when co-leader/guitarist/singer/keyboard player/songwriter Roger Hodgson was still with the group. When you consider that the possibility of Hodgson returning to Supertramp these days very doubtful, Paris becomes an extremely important live document of the classic lineup of the band, indeed. This concert film had been fabled for years and no footage had been officially released (aside "The Logical Song" and "Dreamer" as promo films) it wasn't until the master tapes of the December 1, 1979 performance were discovered in drummer Bob Siebenberg's barn in cow dung. Then longtime producer Peter Henderson and old concert sound engineer Russell Pope (whom produced the original album) painstakingly restored and transferred the audio from analog to digital and brilliantly mixed the audio. Then Peter Clifton (the same man who finished Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same after Joe Massot bailed) salvaged the footage shot by Derek Burbidge (who filmed much of The Police's promo videos in the day) and added some bits to round out the film. What is available is a superb document of the classic Supertramp lineup.
Many great Supertramp classics are included in this live concert film, such as most of 1974's grand breakthrough Crime of the Century (the spirited opener "School", a slightly extended "Bloody Well Right", an excellent "Hide in Your Shell", a superb "Asylum', the Top 20 hit "Dreamer", a superb "Rudy" and the closing "Crime of the Century" which closes this live concert film), two songs from 1975's highly underrated followup Crisis? What Crisis? ("Another Man's Woman" and "Two of Us" both superior to studio versions), three from 1977's Gold selling US breakthrough Even in the Quietest Moments (the title cut, "Give a Little Bit" and the best version of "Fool's Overture" ever which has an ending that is to be seen to believe), and half of the #1 Multi-Platinum selling Breakfast in America (the monster hit "The Logical Song", the hit "Goodbye Stranger", the title cut, the Top 20 smash "Take The Long Way Home" and the epic closer "Child of Vision").
Hodgson and co-leader/keyboardist/singer/songwriter Rick Davies sing their hearts out and play their respective keyboards with great passion, and Hodgson also serves up some incredible fretwork on the guitar. Co-horts John Helliwell on saxophones/clarinets/occasional keyboards and additional backing vocals, drummer Bob C. Benberg and bass player Dougie Thomson have terrific interplay with Hodgson and Davies, helping to bring the band's great melodic music to life in tremendous fashion. Just like on their studio albums, the band totally cook live in concert, too. The songs on here rival their studio counterparts, especially on Rudy which is sped at faster speed than the studio version on the Roger/Rick vocal duel section and the visuals of the backdrop films are superb.
The songs that weren't shot for the film which were recorded ("Ain't Nobody But Me", "You Started Laughing", "Downstream", "A Soapbox Opera" and "From Now On") are here as bonus tracks with visuals created specifically for the DVD/Blu-Ray.
Also, much to Roger Hodgson's chagrin, the songwriting credits are printed on the back of the Blu-Ray (may not have been there on the first issue) and the Supertramp fans are just grateful that this classic document of the band's peak is FINALLY AVAILABLE!!!
Highly recommended!
on September 22, 2012
I had long given up on seeing a DVD live concert of Supertramp and was prepared to relive the one DVD worth seeing "The Story So Far".
I was wandering through my local "The Warehouse" store in Auckland today and caught a glimpse of the DVD cover in the rack. The Paris Live concert was there for $18.99 NZ and I saw that it was a 1979 concert that had gone through some degree of restoration. The track listing was impressive and I said to myself - "you have to have it".

One of the early reviewers has summed it up pretty well in saying that for its age, the video and audio quality are surprisingly good. The picture fills the entire screen of my HD TV (ie. not a 4:3 ratio picture). The long distance shots may be a bit grainy but there are not many of these and the lighting for the close up shots is very good which provides favourable conditions for the older cameras to capture a nice clear picture (but do not expect HD quality of course).

I have the 1981 Journey "Escape" concert and the mid 80's Dire Straits "Alchemy" concert and the picture and sound quality of the Supertramp "Paris" concert is better than these, the video is certainly better.

For those who have a good home theatre system, you will get a nice thump from the drums through the sub. There is a full band for this concert (unlike Roger's later concert with just himself and the saxophonist).

The big hits from the "Breakfast In America" concert sound very much like the CD (the "Child Of Vision" song has a slightly different arrangement when it gets to the long instrumental second half) and overall, this DVD had me spellbound in the chair!

I was really impressed to hear and see the ten minute long "Fool's Overture". This was terrific to see live.

Overall, if you have the 'Story Ss Far" and then buy this DVD, you will have a relatively complete history of Supertramp. If you really like this band, you will have to find this DVD something to behold!

Enjoy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2012
We had to wait a very very long time for this to be released but finally we get to see and own this legendary show.
The quality of the video and audio is quite simply stunning for something this old,a few of the long distance shots can be a little grainy, but this is probably due to the limitations of the original source tapes,didn't spoil the show at all for me though i have to say,the producers have really worked miracles and many long hours i'd guess in restoring the footage from the original source tapes.
The concert itself is the holy grail for us long suffering supertramp fans, just one dvd of the band(the story so far) to keep us going along with a bootleg or two over many years.

Most of supertramps greatest songs are performed fantasticaly well on december 1st 1979 for this dvd,the original paris album was mainly pulled from the 29th november show a few days earlier, so here we actually get to hear a show we've really never heard before, which i thought was a real bonus, obviously it sounds very similar to the origanal cd being from the same paris venue.
The whole band are so tight and look to really be enjoying the themselves on stage, shame thats not the case anymore, but never mind all that.

I love the close up footage of the members all effortlessly reproducing their music live,they are all multi instrumentalists and the sound they create on stage is unbelievably close to the original recordings, sometimes it sounds even better to my ears.

Anyway not much else to say but go and get yourself a copy, go home turn the lights down and let youself be transported back in time to a time when supertramp really were the biggest band in the world,cue the harmonica....
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2013
Let me start by saying that I own more than 1000 concert DVDs, and I hardly ever write a review. However, I am making an exception in this case. For one thing, I was a huge Supertramp fan growing up, and to enjoy this concert you would have to be a fan of their music. Secondly, there is unbelievably little live footage of this band in any form. There are other bands with many DVDs out, and most of them from this period are not worth watching. And then there are the bands that do reunion tours years later. For the most part these DVDs, especially on blu-ray, sound and look great. However, some of the band members are usually different, and the ones that remain are no longer in their prime (to put it nicely). But here we have what I would call "The Holy Grail" for Supertramp fans. A film of the band performing one of their greatest concerts -- not a reunion tour, but an actual recording of the entire band in their prime. It's like having a time machine.

VIDEO QUALITY: I know that some people will knit-pick about the video quality; but it wasn't shot in Hi-Def -- that did not exist back in 1979. What you do have is an amazing restoration of what is probably 35mm or perhaps even 16mm film. And for what it is, it looks great. The lighting is good, so you can see the band members, and the camera work is decent. If you are expecting this to look like it was shot in Hi-Def, just because it is on blu-ray, then you do not understand blu-ray technology. But I can honestly say that I got so caught up in the music, that it did not bother me one bit. I would much rather have this video, such as it is, than a Hi-Def recording of the band today trying to recreate the magic they had back on this night in 1979. It is not even close.

AUDIO QUALITY: This is where the blu-ray really shines. This is a true 5.1 surround sound recording. If your system can decode DTS-HD then you are in for an unbelievable treat. If you do not hear how incredible this sounds, then the problem is your system. It is just superb in every way. Regular DVD sound simply can't touch it. I wanted to shout for joy during parts of this concert, it sounds that good. Every band member had it going in this concert, and you can hear it all. Over and over again I found myself cranking up the volume in another of the many great moments in this concert.

Let me end by saying a little about reports that one or more band members are unhappy about the release of this DVD. All of the guys in the band made a ton of money off of us fans. How about letting us have this one -- I think we deserve it. I know that you created the music, but we supported you for years by buying your albums. Why should this concert rot away in a barn just because you can't get along now. Anyway -- nuff said.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 31, 2013
The picture quality and sound on this release are quite good, I didn't know what to expect after hearing how old the source tape was and that it needed painstaking restoration. Also appealing was that the show was a different show than the one recorded for the original Paris LP release. The addition of songs not on that release, especially a favorite of mine, "Child Of Vision", was a welcome surprise.

I got into Supertramp relatively late, that being after they released "Breakfast In America", but that was 34 years ago (has it really been 34 years?). I saw them in Houston at the Summit for their "Famous Last Words" tour and also for the following "Brother Where You Bound?" tour, sans Roger Hodgson. I always preferred Rick Davies to Roger Hodgson and I am most likely in the minority there, but Supertramp works best with both of them. They traded songs and the juxtaposition of the two, with Rick being cynical and Roger being the exact opposite was what made the band and the music work. Another reason I liked Rick singing was because that usually put Roger on guitar and he was a very underrated guitar player.

I only have two minor quibbles about this release. One, I didn't like the black screen between numbers, it ruined the flow of the concert. Two, Bob Siebenberg was barely shown, just briefly a couple of times. I realize that Rick & Roger were going to get the bulk of the attention and John Anthony Helliwell would be out front, but Bob's drumming is a big part of Supertramp and was certainly front and center at both shows that I attended. I did like that Dougie Thomson got some airtime on the bass, his playing was excellent for this show, as per usual.
on September 28, 2012
Considering that this was 1979 and likely not setup for the big screen, the transfer to Bluray is quite good. There is still some graininess - but consider the source and era. The sound was remastered quite nicely. This is an enjoyable video, and glad to finally have received it.
on September 27, 2012
32 Years ago a freind and I went into our main City (Auckland, New Zealand) to listen to the new Live release from Supertramp. It was a promotion by one of our Record Stores (known back then as "The Record Warehouse"). The deal was the album was played live on a huge sound system in our main Central Square (from memory a couple of thousand of people turned up). It was at night, no visuals just listening to the entire album. If you liked it you could walk back up the road to the Record Store and buy it for a special one off price ($12.99 fom memory). We listened, we loved it, we went back and bought it.

32 years later along comes the DVD (which was recorded at the same venue as the album, just a couple of days later).

I have just finished watching it last night, and all I can say is.... FANTASTIC. These guys were brilliant, fantastic musicians and composers...from 1974 to 1979, four great albums, what a show and fantastic set list to close out 1979.

If you like Supertramp and / or enjoy great music with great melodies and vocals played by great musicians this is a 100% no risc disc.

I really enjoyed this, if it sounds remotely like you I think you'd enjoy it too.
on April 19, 2013
This has always been one of my all time favorite live albums. As soon as I found out that it had been released on bluray I immediately purchased it. The picture quality is amazing! The sound is equally amazing. Way back in 1981 I purchased the double cassette and played it until I wore it out. I suspect I will do the same with this Blu ray. I highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed.
on October 22, 2012
Supertramp is classic band. Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson are masters in both piano and vocals. John Helliwell a giant in percussion, sax and as a frontman. Bob Siebenberg (or "C. Benberg" as might be seen sometimes) the man playing the drums. At last, but not least, Dougie Thomson perfect with the bass.

When you put these 5 fellows together in a stage, you can be sure that something very good is about to happen. Should you increase the sound quality of the show, which is the case here, you can expect nothing but having a great time.

The only tiny negative point here is a few songs that were not recorded in video (of course you know it before buying due to a huge disclaimer on the back, but all missing songs can be found in the extras). On the other hand, other huge classics, such as Goodbye Stranger and Give a Little Bit, that were not in the original CD, can be found in this Blu-Ray.

Strongly recommended.
on June 29, 2013
Just when you think every great vintage show has been uncovered, along comes the Holy Grail of Supertramp-dom! Having seen the band several times (pre "Breakfast"), I knew they were an incredible live act, but quality video footage has been a rarity (or perhaps non-entity: there's the broadcast of the "last concert with Roger Hodgson" that's been floating around for years, but the sound and picture are nothing to write home about). The "Live in Paris" album has been a favorite of mine for years - a great live rendering of the band just at the cusp of superstardom. However, I had no idea the show had been filmed. And instead of this being released in some shoddy manner, the producers have remastered the film and soundtrack, providing a simply classic piece of concert memorabilia of a great band at the top of their game. The sound (in particular the 5.1 DTS) is stunning for a show now 34 years old - and the picture quality is equally as pristine. It wasn't long before Roger would become disillusioned with the direction of Supertramp and quit the proceedings, and what followed the mega "Breakfast in America" album after this tour was a series of forgettable records and the entire break-up of the band. That all makes this an even better find. While it's unfortunate that five of the songs from the Paris concert were never filmed, "Fool's Overture" and "Child of Vision" (not to mention nearly the entire "Crime of the Century" album) are worth the price of admission alone!