Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2009 11:15:10 AM PDT
Doingit says:
Okay, so I just started reading the book and took the quiz. I found out that I need to participate in his self care plans recommended in chapter 22: phospholipid support, dopamine, serotonin, and acetycholine.

Those supplements alone will cost $728, not to mention the other supplements he recommends PLUS the cost for all the new food.

Of course, I am concerned about the profit motive, ie the supplements can be ordered through his website. And that makes me skeptical. So here's my questions:

1) Can these be ordered elsewhere, for a cheaper price? If so, where?

2) If I order them elsewhere, what do I need to make sure I am doing?

3) For those that have gone through this program, are these supplements necessary?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2009 5:10:42 PM PDT
Jane Eyre says:
Hi! First of all, Dr. Hyman just opened his supplement store, and he's been "preaching" this stuff for years (so no ulterior motive there that I see.) I feel like he's just making it more convenient for people to one-stop shop and to know that the supplements are of high qualilty (the reason for their expense). Now, having said that I must confess that I cannot afford the supplements from his store. Believe it or not, they are discounted. He explains in his book what to look for when shopping around for supplements so I won't go into that. I buy mine at vitacost.com. You can research the brands but I find that the NSI brand is reputable and does the job. Also, Vitacost has reviews similar to Amazon so perhaps that could help in your buying decisions. I am taking over 40 supplements (yes, it was that bad) and I find that Vitacost is very affordable. I did this program for 3-4 weeks without the supplements but when I started them I felt a huge difference. I can't answer for you or anyone else, but in my opinion the supplements are very necessary. I would like to comment about the cost of the food. Thanks to this book, I am an organic food convert...100%. Again, at first I didn't think I would be able to afford it but realized that by giving up the processed foods, the "diet" foods, and all junk food my grocery bill is about the same every month. The only "pain" is that I have to make frequent trips to Whole Foods since I buy so much fresh produce. But it's worth it. And I feel like we're making an investment in our health (fewer doctor or health related costs in the future). If you follow the program exactly, you will probably see dramatic improvement and that alone is worth a few extra dollars a month. Good luck!

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 11:10:23 AM PDT
Doingit says:
Hi there, Thank you for very much for answering all my questions. I have purchased from that site before so I will follow-through with your suggestion.

I just got back from whole foods and I noticed A LOT of there foods has canola oil. I talked with the chef and she said that canola oil is a very healthy fat, but Dr. Hyman (as far as i know) does NOT talk about this fat.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. I really appreciate it!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 2:56:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2009 6:21:16 PM PDT
Jane Eyre says:
Hi A. Well, you asked for it. What I'm about to say could be controversial depending on which camp you belong to. It's my opinion that canola oil is just as bad for you as the other vegetable oils on the market. It's made from rapeseed (a plant that is EVERYWHERE in the UK) and is very inexpensive to make. Like all vegetable oils, canola is a refined oil. That is to say that during its production, it is heated to over 400 degrees, deoderized and "purified". As a result, these oils are already "rancid" and therefore potentially carcinogenic (loaded with free-radicals) by the time they reach the grocery store shelves. It's my belief that Whole Foods is not well informed about these things. Instead, they have fallen prey (as many companies and people have) to to a very successful political campaign by the soy industry who blacklisted tropical oils and made "saturated fat" a swear word in the nutrition field. (This campaign was based on ONE study about 40 years ago using hydrogenated coconut oil...which had been processed and altered from its original form...NOT on virgin coconut oil.) This leads me to my suggestion of using virgin, unprocessed coconut oil for cooking. It is the only oil that does not create trans fats when heated to high temperatures, so it's perfect for cooking. Generally, you should avoid saturated fats, but coconut oil has been found to have many benefits. It is antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal just for starters. It also contains lauric acid (the immune-boosting compound in mother's milk). Research shows that some saturated fat is in fact necessary for human health and modern research shows that the medium chain fatty acids or MCFA (prevalent in coconut oil) help to increase metabolism and are more easily digested than fats found in other oils. This is because they are processed directly in the liver and immediately converted into energy. There is therefore less strain on the liver, pancreas and digestive system and these MCFA provide the body with a wonderful, quick source of energy. There are many,many other benefits that I won't go into. (If you're interested, just google "coconut oil benefits".) Another good oil source is extra virgin olive oil (for salad dressings) because it is a rich sourch of oleic acid and antioxidants. However, it is comprised of long chain fatty acids which contribute to body fat, so use it in moderation. Other than perhaps your local farmer's market, Whole Foods is the best choice for fresh "whole foods". I would limit your purchasing of any processed, packaged foods that have canola oil or other potentially bad ingredients in them.) As consumers, we can only do so much. Just do your best when it comes to reading labels and try to choose non-processed foods as much as possible. That's really all we can do. Good luck!

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 3:53:00 PM PDT
Doingit says:
Thanks again lisa , I am not having as many supplements as you are but i am having about 30 supplements a day now (most of them from vitacost, except when i couldn't get pure ingredients) .

He recommends gaba and so far it has made me INCREDIBLY sleepy (after 3 hours of my first dosage). So I am not sure what to do with that supplement because I need to function. The only difficult part in this stage is that its hard to do it by myself; his book does a good job telling you what to take, but there's not a section on 'troubleshooting' or other concerns that may arise after taking the supplements. He also doesn't address in a comprehensive manner how long each supplement should be taken for?

Can I ask how soon you noticed the affects of the supplements?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 10:14:40 AM PDT
For inexpensive and high quality supplements I recommend the NOW brand. I checked lab tests on these at consumerlab.com (need subscription), and all tested products have received excellent testing results. They are very inexpensive at vitaglo.com. NOW preparation facilities have passed the GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) requirments. NOW is located in Indiana. BTW, I use their supplements, and I have NO financial interest in either NOW or Vitaglo.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2010 10:21:45 PM PDT
Dan R says:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ is by far the lowest cost yet excellent supplements I've found. I've researched many companies and this company is one of the best at the lowest cost.

Posted on Oct 17, 2010 10:25:04 PM PDT
Dan R says:
Go to www.thewayup.com and read her info and get her book. She was an Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at USC University in LA, CA for years.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 4:27:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2011 4:32:07 AM PDT
D. Norton says:
you can buy most of the exact same brand supplements on www.vitacost.com for much less than on the ultramind website. this is great stuff, but a rip off over charge money maker for the ultramind!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 4:33:56 AM PDT
D. Norton says:
go to www.vitacost.com for the same brands much cheaper. ultramind has great concepts, but the money grubbing is a bit shameful.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 11:48:56 AM PST
What happens when you throw Dr Esselstyne and Dr McDougall into this mix ? They advocate for No Oil. They are also authors who rely on research.....and I think have a connection to available packaged food. I recommend their books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about