4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Tough
Published on February 13, 2009 by M. Crandall

1.0 out of 5 stars Chainmate vs. Supreme Prod.
Published on January 28, 2011 by Jonathan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Tough, February 13, 2009
M. Crandall (Pleasantville, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
I bought this pocket chainsaw to keep in my car for emergencies and the occasional camping trip. However, I have found other uses for it as well. The included handles can be quickly knotted onto the ends of the blade-- or onto a longer rope. I decided to try trimming upper branches out of trees using a couple long ropes, with general success. I threw a weighted rope up into branches 30'-40' feet in the air, attached the handles, and proceeded to prune branches that only a lumberjack would normally be able to cut. Look out below, and obviously use common sense and a hard hat if you attempt this. Since the links are constructed in such a way that the saw can only be folded in one direction (cutting-edge inwards), it was surprisingly easy to pull the saw up into the tree, position it, and cut the branch. I have done this with branches anywhere from 2-3 inches (5 minutes work) all the way to 8" (half hour of hard tugging). Occasionally the blade would bind up, but a hard yank always worked it loose. The bad news-- all this work will dull the blade, and it appears to be difficult to resharpen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chainmate vs. Supreme Prod., January 28, 2011
Jonathan (WEWOKA, OKLAHOMA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
The Supreme prod. pocket chainsaw broke so easily; on the very first snag! I can see why though. The Supreme pocket chainsaw uses wood-saw teeth instead of actual chainsaw teeth. Don't let the number of teeth fool you, the links of the individual teeth are connected in a way that it is fragile no matter the strength of the material itself. Additionally, the teeth links are so thin and long that it's easy to bend when you get snagged. The product can fit into a little can but only when you disassemble it first(handles and connectors). One last thing, the motion of the wood-saw teeth didn't give off a very motivating feel. It was smooth alright, but it was like you weren't going anywhere; pretty exhausting when you get that feeling.

The Chain-mate version is much better. It uses actual chainsaw teeth that give off a satisfying cutting sound when you're using it. The links are a little bulkier but it's a lot more sturdier. I snagged it a lot and it never broke. Although if you really try for it you can break it but you have to be doing something pretty rugged and careless to do that (like hitting it with an axe). The chain has loops attached to it so you can just unfold it and get started.

So if you get torn between similar products like me, just go with the chain-mate version. It's sturdy, reliable, convenient, and makes a pretty good cutting sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great...till it breaks, June 27, 2010
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
I was attracted to this product for backpacking and camping. I camp at least once a month in Central Texas. I recently used it for a 2 night kayaking and camping trip. I compared this to several similar products and decided on this one because it is the only one that looked like the handles separated from the saw. I figured this would be good if I wanted to put long ropes on it for throwing in trees and cutting high limbs (which I've done with rope and a regular chain saw chain).

This started out as a great product. I love that it stores easily in the provided canister, which is also useful for keeping it oiled without getting oil all over your gear. The handles were sturdy and comfortable. I did about a dozen cuts through 2 - 5 inch logs without issue. The larger ones were a lot of work so we'd team up, one man on each end, pulling in tandem. Either way, it was a lot more efficient and easier than trying to use a hatchet.

The product is simple, a chain, two wire loops, and two handles. You thread the handles through the big hole in the loops and thread the small end of the loops through the chain. All the problems with this product begin with the loops. They are made to go on/come off easy so that you can put the chain in the storage canister. However, they come off too easy. As soon as you let off slack the loops would come loose from the chain. This was annoying when you were sawing, relaxed for a second, and tried to continue only to realize you were pulling on air. The biggest problem with the loops are that they are the weakest link. The larger hole in the loop is held with a weld. While sawing on our second night this weld broke on one of the loops. Unfortunately we had no suitable substitute with us, but at least we had enough wood for the night. It could have been the heat from doing a lot of cuts in a row that weakened the weld, but I expect this type of use to be acceptable. It lasted two nights and a little over a dozen cuts. Because of the way it's made, I can still use the parts and probably repair it with strong hooks instead of the loops. Still, I'm going to look at other products.

Pros:
- Canister to keep chain clean and oiled (can re-use the canister for other products)
- Breaks down small, can use different handles/ropes
- Cuts much easier than a hatchet

Cons:
- Handle loops disconnect easily from chain, constantly have to reset after cuts
- Weld on handle loops isn't strong enough, breaks rendering saw useless

Summary:

Skip this product unless they make stronger loops. Try other saws as will I.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Chain Saw, September 18, 2011
Dixie E. Hart (Hagerstown, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
It works okay, it tends to get stuck a lot in branches bigger than 2" in diameter, then you have to wrestle it loose and start again. I'm a 63 year old female and I have used it several times so it doesn't require a lot of strength just perseverance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Chain Saw As Advertised, July 8, 2009
S. A. Pence (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
This compact handy little saw can be used for camping or yard work. It is much safer than an electric or gas operated chain saw or even an axe and cuts through small to medium branches and trees easily. Unlike a hand saw, this cuts easily forward and back. Only one caution; you are right in the path of whatever you cut, so prudence should be exercised in selecting the size and position of tree or branch you are cutting, and determining what you can handle falling by you (or on you) far more than consideration of what the saw can cut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bwst Compact Saw On The Market, June 26, 2007
W. Nelson (Broomfield, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
This saw would handle any cutting job you would experience on a backpacking trip. This saw's compact and light weight features makes it an essential tool to put on your packing list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, just needs an edge!, November 14, 2011
Robert R. Cook (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
I bought this saw, choosing it over the others because it had a narrow kerf (that means it removes the least wood, and should thus require the least effort). It was pretty good out of the can, allowing me to take down a dead oak limb that would have cost at least $100 to have removed by a tree service. So far, so good. But there was one thing wrong. It was dull right out of the can! I clamped it up in a vice and worked it over with a triangular file, and it works at least twice as efficiently! I mean, I didn't go nuts, just put a point on the teeth, but it goes at least twice as fast, with less effort! A good product, but it could be great if it only came sharp. Probably a liability issue: Caution, sharp objects may cut you! Duh.

5.0 out of 5 stars pocket saw works great, November 16, 2008
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
This pocket saw is a very convenient way to cut the random limbs that fall in my back yard. It also seems to take less effort than a standard saw to make a cut. I would recommend it to gardeners that have to remove tree limbs occasionally, since it makes it so easy to cut them into manageable size pieces.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worn out POS, August 6, 2013
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
I probably would have given this 4 or 5 stars the first time I used it. It was sharp and worked well. I was using it with ropes to reach high branches so the fact that it can't bend the wrong direction (teeth up) was good. But after not very much cutting (I ownly own about 8 trees and pruned them a couple times)it's worn out. Once the joints of the chain get loose enough so that the chain can lay on it's side, it's all over. You'll never cut with it again. Plus the teeth themselves are pretty worn. They are not at all like real chain saw teeth and are just steel triangles protruding from the chain. Good for emergencies I guess, not good to use much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for soft wood, not for hard, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Pocket Chainsaw
I had success on a few 2"-4" trees across a trail at low elevation. I tried it on a hardier tree across the trail at high elevation, and it would only penetrade the depth of the chain before it would bind up. The chain was rolling over sideways, making a conical cut instead of a straight cut, then binding. I tried re-starting the cut and it happened again in a different spot. This only seems to happen on hard woods.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›