on April 22, 2011
Format: DVD
First, let me say that I own both P90X and Insanity, and I strongly endorse Beachbody products to anyone who asks - they are of high quality and offer many options for people with different goals. Many people around the internet are saying that this product, Supreme 90 Day, is just a cheap knockoff of P90X. I found it to be a solid program at great price, and it is a good variation alternative after a person has completed another program.

I do not consider this better or worse than P90X or Insanity, just more variation or more "muscle confusion", but at a very affordable price. The makers are clearly trying to capitalize on the success of P90X, and the commercials are very similar to the infomercials of that product. I have found that the Supreme 90 Day DVD's are well produced, and the workouts are tough (if you use enough weight to challenge.) Tom Holland, who is the instructor, is not overbearing or annoying and the exercise models are attractive and in great shape (and several of the women in the program are stunning.) My only complaint-comment is that the workouts require somewhat more equipment or variety of weights than P90X, and they move quickly between exercises which often require different weights and setups. Not really a problem if you organize your equipment beforehand, but the first few times, I was struggling to change weights and set up the equipment quickly enough to keep up. Otherwise, this is a great workout program.

A final comment: I used to be a fitness snob about mass marketed DVD programs in believing that they were beneath me. I had trained in hardcore gyms with weights for years, and I have maintained fairly decent condition throughout my life. However, I am finding that programs such as this (and the Beachbody products) force me outside of my natural comfort zone with a variety of exercises that I have not previously done, and at a pace that requires a different type of adaptation. I am pleased that I am seeing real results from products such as Supreme 90 Day (or Beachbody products) at age 50 that I have not seen since I first began training with weights. I now realize that a wide variety of exercise may the secret to lifelong fitness, rather than to repeat the same old routines or exercises over and over for years with minimal results. (BTW, this program is not going to appeal to the hardcore bodybuilder or powerlifter, but their goals are different than most folks.)
3434 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVD
First, a little about me. I'm an advanced exerciser who has completed several rounds of Beachbody's P90X and Cathe Friedrich's STS Series.

Is Supreme 90 a copy cat version of P90X? It's based on the same principle of muscle confusion, as well as the principle of clean eating. It's similar but different. I love these workouts! They are tough and pack a lot into 30-40 minutes. I never thought I could get a thorough workout it less than an hour, but these workouts have convinced me that I can.

Why I love these workouts:

**They're tough. My heart rate is up there for every workout, even the core ones.

**Tom Holland is a great instructor. I'd love to have him as my own trainer. He's tough, yet motivating.

**Constant change keeps me interested. Since you're doing something different every day, I don't get bored with these. This set includes cardio, core and weights.

**The focus on core work. I know it's important to work the core, but I don't like doing so. This series has you working your core in every workout.

**The all-inclusive nature of the program. There's a nutrition plan, compiled by Tosca Reno, plus online web support.

**The workout crew is all very fit and very motivating. I'd love to look half as good as the women in these DVDs. Okay, so that's a pipe dream, but it's fun to imagine.

**The price. I had a coupon, so the entire set cost me all of $16.00. Most of the single DVDs in my collection cost more than that!

Some things to note about these workouts:

**The warm-up and cool-down are the same for each workout. This can get a little tiring after a while.

**The pace is frantic. Tom keeps telling us to go at our own pace, but it's hard to do so when the cast is going very fast.

**These aren't appropriate for beginners. Even though easier modifications are shown, because of the fast pace, you really have to focus on your form. Tom doesn't give a lot of form pointers. I've worked out for years one-on-one with personal trainers, so I can maintain good form.

**The DVD case is cardboard and very flimsy.

**The rotation, as designed, seems a recipe for overtraining.

**The warm-ups aren't long enough for me.

I've modified the rotation as follows:

**I do 20 minutes of very easy cardio to start.

**In Weeks 4, 8 and 12, I put an extra day of yoga in between each workout, so my body has more chance to recover.

In spite of the "things to consider," I highly recommend this set to anyone wanting a tough workout that works! Even if you only do one or two DVDs from this set, it's worth the purchase.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2011
Format: DVD
So, I'll start my review by saying that I have PLENTY of things to compare Supreme 90 Day to. I have bought Tony Horton's 10-minute trainer, Lauren Brooks' Ultimate Kettlebell, Fluidity, The Firm, etc.

In terms of the money spent versus what you get....THIS is it!! I won't insult your intelligence by telling you the names of every DVD, the lengths of the workouts, etc....You can find that info in plenty of other reviews. I will give you my honest opinions/perceptions of "S90".

A little about me...I am in my early thirties, female, two children (the youngest is 4), just under 5 feet tall, in moderately good shape, and I do some form of exercise 5 days a week for at least 1/2 hour. I eat about 85% whole/clean. In my younger years, I was a personal trainer for 5 years.

I began doing this to get back in shape after having 3 surgeries (one of which was an abdominal hernia), which kept me from working out for extended periods of time, and threw my body "out of sync."

First, Tom Holland:
He is charismatic, a bit funny and he does his best to keep the workout moving along without you giving up. I especially love that he points out the "flaws" of the people working out. If they short-change an exercise, mess up their form or do anything they shouldn't he will jokingly "call them on the carpet" about it. Not in a mean, degrading way. Just enough so that the viewer knows what they SHOULD be doing.

I also like the fact that Tom Holland laughs at himself, and humbly corrects his own flubs that he makes. It makes him seem "human" and likable.

Next, the workouts:
There are several things that I like about he workouts, themselves. For one, when the crew is working out, they all kind of go at their own pace. So, in some videos, one person may finish a given exercise 30 seconds after everyone else is done. I like this because REAL people go at their own pace, and you shouldn't feel pressured to do everything at the same speed/degree the crew does. Also, I love the fact that Tom (and/or his crew members) offer a modification for EVERY exercise. Do NOT feel intimidated if you don't have dumb bells or an exercise ball. You will be able to do each exercise just fine. I like the fact that Tom Holland points our that "Even if you only do "1 or 2" of [insert exercise here], that's okay. See what you can do 10, 20 days from now." It nice to hear that, given that certain workout DVD personalities try to make people feel like they are lazy or incompetent if they can't perform at the same level as the highly-trained people in the DVD.

None of the DVDs last longer than 45 minutes. In fact, most are at about the 30 minute mark. This allows event he busiest person to squeeze something into their day. The workouts ARE intense, so don't be fooled by the seemingly short length. It's all about quality, not quantity.

There are 4 women and 2 men who are featured in the various DVDS. They are all nice looking, but with varying body types. I like the fact that the women don't have "cookie cutter" bodies. One has a very athletic (boyish)--I don't mean that offensively--build. Another has a cheerleader build. Yet another has a strong-solid build. All in great shape.

The Tabata Inferno, IMO is the toughest of the 10 videos. The rest are moderately difficult. I like a bit of a challenge, so this is fine with me.

Finally, the RESULTS:
I will be candid in admitting that I do NOT follow the workout calendar that is presented in the package. I choose whatever I want to do, in any order I choose to, on any given day. That's just the way I operate.

I do not follow the meal plan. Again, I eat about 85% clean/whole. I eat about 5 small meals/day. But I don't "follow" a designated plan. I just do it how I do it...A bit of a rebel, huh?

As far as weight/appearance: I have not weighed or measured myself since Sept 24. So I do not know my weight, but I know FOR SURE that I've shed a noticeable amount of weight, and I have increased the tone of my overall body. My clothes fit loosely, and I have muscles in places I haven't seen in a while. There IS truly a difference. This keeps me motivated to keep going. I will update my review on January 1 with a before/after weight and measurements. I will not weigh myself until the new year, because I don't want to be affected by "numbers", I just want to enjoy the fact that things are going great.

I hope this review, albeit long, helps sway someone's decision to buy this product. I am not a paid endorser, but I have but decent things to say.

****UPDATE, JANUARY 2013:******
Back in 2011, I promised to update my review of this product in January 2012, with my personal progress...I got sidetracked (in good ways), and it never happened. I began logging my measurements, weight, caloric intake on websites dedicated to health/fitness. At any rate, with Supreme 90, I lost about 7 lbs. and approximately 2-2.5 inches from my major areas of my body (waist, thighs, hips, etc.). I lost about 1.5 inches from smaller areas (back, arms, calves etc.) These measurements are the result of using Supreme 90 (and clean eating) for 12 weeks. I stopped using using Supreme 90 after 12 weeks, simply because I was ready to move on to other things. I still think it was a good program, and I would still recommend it to others. Best wishes to everyone contemplating, starting or maintaining their fitness goals!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2011
Format: DVD
A lot of people are comparing this to P90X. This is a very good workout out program in its own right. I own P90X, P90X+, insanity, and Chalean Extreme. I think that for $20 this is a better value than all of those. This may be riding the P90X fitness wave, but home workout junkies need this product to bring some competition to Beachbody. Remember when the weider crossbow came out and all of a sudden the price of a bowflex was cut in half. I bet the next phase of P90X dvds will cost a significantly less.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Here are the 10 DVDs and their time outlines.

1. Chest & Back (32:30)
Workout (22:14): At over 22 minutes, they move fast on this first DVD.

2. Ultimate Ball (40:49)
Warmup (4:19):
Workout (30:33): This uses the large Swiss ball. I just did it without the ball.
Cool-down (5:57):

3. Tabata Inferno (43:42)
Warmup: It is only on this DVD that the warmup is included in the main workout.
Workout (37:45): I hate this one. This is long and tough. This includes moderate and tough aerobics, with some weight training. The exercises include jumping variations, core work, and the circuits never seem to end.
Cool-down (5:57):

4. Shoulders & Arms (43:05)
Workout (32:49):
Cool-down (5:57):

5. Cardio Challenge (41:22)
Warmup (4:19):
Workout (31:06): This is my favorite. Moderate weights are used to boost calorie burn. In general, you alternate 30 seconds of aerobics, followed by 30 seconds of rest, followed by 30 seconds of using moderate weights in an aerobic fashion, followed by 30 seconds of rest, and then repeat the same pattern.

6. Legs (33:17)
Warmup (4:19):
Workout (22:51): This is not only leg work. There is ab (core) work.

7. Total Body (33:33)
Workout (23:17):

8. Core Dynamics (28:22)
WarmUp (4:19):
Workout (18:06): At just over 18 minutes, this is the shortest workout.

9. Back & Bi's (56:38)
Warmup (4:19):
Workout (46:22): This is the longest workout, at over 46 minutes.
Cool-down (5:57):

10. Chest, Shoulders, & Tri's (45:18)
Workout (34:52):
Cool-down (5:57):

The main workouts (excluding the warmups and the cool-downs) vary from about 18 minutes to about 46 minutes, with many close to 30 minutes, so these are relatively short workouts.

The workouts use dumb-bells and a large Swiss ball. You need moderate to medium weight dumb-bells, but you can do the exercises without the ball. I did not use the ball, although I do have a bench.

~~~~~

This 10 DVD set provides excellent instruction on using dumb-bells in a programmed and well structured sequence. This program is fairly intense and it might take a little while to build up, especially if you are a beginner. This may be better suited for someone with exercise experience or it may considered an intermediate DVD.

All the talent, (men and women demonstrators), are extremely fit and sometimes go fast, on many of the exercises, especially push-ups. After quite a few months, I find that I can go fast on push-ups too. On the jumping (plyometrics), I walked in place (slow or fast) or stepped side to side, instead of doing the jumping. Walking is a lot easier if you have knee or feet issues.

Tom Holland is the instructor and he is pleasant, affable and knowledgeable.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Like many people I was intrigued with P90X. I considered getting that program but I was a little leery for two reasons. First, I am the mom of 2 teenagers and the time commitment was daunting. Secondly, some of the exercises (like pullups) looked too hard for me. When I read about this program in a Fitness magazine, I rushed to see the Amazon reviews and I must add my accolades to the crowd. I've been doing this program for about 3 weeks now and I already see a difference in overall definition. I recently lost about 10 lbs through mostly diet. You could never see my definition partly because of the layer of fat covering my muscles. I am a regular exerciser and was one of these people who thought, "I guess I don't sweat". Wrong! I was not working out hard enough before, and not in the right way. The circuit exercises are very effective. These workouts are challenging but doable for the most part. There are only a couple of exercises thus far I cannot do, and I am easily able to modify them. (the "clapping pushup" for example, I just do a regular pushup.) And I am in my late 50's! These workouts leave you energized at the end. I cannot say enough good things about this program - the price is unbelievable for the quality. As others have mentioned, the packaging is flimsy, but you can always buy DVD covers. You can definitely change this workout to fit your particular needs. If you are really buff like the people in the DVD, you can up your weights. If you are a beginner, do less, use less weights or even no weights. This is the real deal - the workouts go fast and I am not bored.
UPDATE - September 25, 2012 - I'm at the end of my third go-around on this program, and it still rocks. It speaks well of a program that I have kept up with this over a year. Just keep following Tom's advice and do what you can 100%. I am doing the "clapping pushups" on my knees, but I'm doing them. The ultimate ball workout used to be a joke (I could barely do some of the exercises) and now it it one of my favorites. I even work through the "rests" on that DVD. I'm pushing 60 and I feel stronger, wear a size 2 (down from a 6) dress and everyone says I look toned. Just get it and do it now - you'll be happy you did.
Format: DVD
The P90X frenzy, muscle confusion, sculpt your body at home has hit Walmart economics, and I have to say, this is a great program!

I'm 55 and fighting the drooping bulges, low energy, can't sleep right, lack of motivation, middle age blahs. For <$20, I decided to go for it. Just watching a few disks scared me- ah oh- I'm going to hurt myself, i.e., pull my back out, pull a muscle, sprain a joint or tear something; however, Tom Holland encourages one to perform at their pace, weight level, modification, progress it as able, but to give it your best.

The program consists of 10 dvd's each running between about 25-35 minutes: chest/back, ultimate ball, tabata inferno, shoulders/arms, cardio challenge, legs, total body, core dynamics, back/bi's, chest/shoulders/tri's; there's the usual warm-up and cool down with each disk each running about 4 minutes; a sheet listing the 90 days of specific workouts, a manuel by Tosca Reno with OK foods, meal plans for 28 days, and one can go on line for further info or blog. One can purchase an additional ab program for a few bucks, but it's not needed.

Tom Holland directs the quick changing routines with usually 3-4 very fit individuals working with you. I think he does a super job without yelling or making one feel inadequate. He stresses form, increasing the weights, and a lot of core(some on every dvd). One can also turn off his vocals under special features.

One needs a set of dumbells and an exercise ball(but he shows what to do w/o one).

After a few days of puttin' along, using light weights and pacing myself, I started to turn around. I could keep up better, push myself harder and get a better pump without risk of injury. After a week, definite improved muscle strength, some definition, sleeping like a baby, much better posture and endurance. I started looking foward to hitting the program, watching my diet more closely, drinking lots of water, and dumping the fast food.

It's basically a mind game with oneself no matter what regimen you chose out there, and a good diet is absolutely essential. Don't starve yourself; eat your 6 meals a day, good tasty food -just get rid of the junk; lots of quality protein.

Take care of the old bod and get a check-up with your doc. Love life and have fun with this or do something else.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2011
Format: DVD
After 20 years of jogging, curls, v-ups and pull-ups, I got bored and bought these videos. They are 10 half-hour sessions of grueling calisthenics and weight lifting. I love them! I'm on day 70 and I know I will be doing them for years. I was in good shape to begin with but now I'm in the best shape of my life at 45. Better aerobically and far better in strength. Dang! I've never had a physique like this before!

Plus, the videos, though grueling, are fun. The trainer is very good.

UPDATE (January 2012): I've been using the videos for about a year straight now. I love them.
UPDATE (January 2015): Still doing 'em religiously. 49 years old. Love 'em. Tip: I now substitute chest flies for the chest presses because these videos have too many pushups/chest presses and too few chest flies.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2012
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I'm starting day 18 today and I am obsessed with this program. I've never done a 90-day or muscle confusion program before, so I can't speak of how it compares to P90x, but so far I am pleased with my results.

I'm a 5'4" female and have been losing weight since the end of June. I started at 218 pounds doing the C25K program and a Jari Love DVD here and there. I lost 10 pounds in a month and all of the sudden I hit a plateau and the weight loss stopped. I tried reevaluating my caloric intake, exercising more... nothing seemed to work. I decided to order some new exercise DVDs on Amazon and saw Supreme 90. At first I thought it was just a stupid knockoff of P90x, but once I read the reviews and given the excellent price, I took a chance.

Now on day 18, I'm down 8 pounds and seemed to have successfully moved out of my plateau. My favorite DVDs thus far are Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms, and Tabata Inferno. I can already tell that my chest muscles have firmed up immensely, along with my arms, and my pudgy stomach has shrinked a lot as well. I can finally fit back into some of my old jeans from high school! I'm also excited because my arms no longer look huge in a strapless dress, which I am SO excited about.

The Tabata Inferno DVD is no joke. Throughout the duration of the workout I just want to roll over on the floor and pass out. It's hands-down the most difficult exercise DVD I've ever done. The Ultimate Ball DVD is a bit of a challenge too with some of the stuff they do on the ball, so I'm slowly easing into the more advanced moves to ensure I don't fall off and break something in my apartment, LOL.

Tom Holland is a good instructor. He kind of stumbles a little bit with his wording, but it's not a big deal. He says motivating phrases like "this is where it counts the most!" but in my opinion, he isn't annoying about anything. The music kind of sucks but it's not a big deal because I typically don't even notice it with how exhausted I am. The warm-ups and cool-downs are the same for every workout unfortunately. The holder for the DVDs really sucks though - just flimsy cardboard that seems to tear when you take a disc out if you're not careful. I'll probably purchase a different holder so that I can keep the program better.

As for the meal plan, I don't follow that. I just track my caloric intake with myfitnesspal.com.

So far I am so pleased with this program and my results. I'll add some updates at the end of day 30, 60, and 90. After completing Supreme 90 I'd like to try my hand at P90x or Insanity!

- UPDATE DAY 30: Tomorrow I start day 30! Since I wrote my initial review, I've lost another 2 pounds, bringing my total weight loss since beginning Supreme 90 to -10 pounds (and overall -20 pounds on my weight loss journey)! It is a huge relief to finally be under 200 pounds.

When I started the program, I was using 5lb. and 8lb. weights. I've noticed within the last week that 8lb. dumbbells aren't really cutting it for me anymore (they seem too light!) so I bought some 10lb. dumbbells which are challenging me more. I'm hoping that at the end of month two I can use 15lb. dumbbells.

I'm pleased to say that some of the more advanced moves I can actually do at this point. I couldn't even do a real pushup when I started, and while I still do the majority of my pushups on my knees, it's getting easier and I've even begun to dabble with the "clap pushup" which KILLS my arms but I love it. The plank pressups were a no-go at the beginning, and now I am able to complete them. Burpees and mountain climbers were almost impossible for me to do at first, but now I can do them for what seems like forever, and with more speed! My legs seem to have gotten more muscle definition, as well as my arms and my back. My pudgy stomach is still shrinking which I am so thankful for. I used to have to wear a shaper underneath dresses, and this past weekend I had the confidence to go out and not wear the shaper! I still have a good amount of fat over my stomach, but I AM beginning to see some slight definition. I'm excited to see what my tummy will look like after I've lost some more weight!

- UPDATE DAY 60: I just finished Day 60 today! I've lost 5 additional pounds this month, bringing my weight loss since beginning S90 to -15 pounds (and -25 pounds overall since opting for a healthier lifestyle).

I've done all of the DVDs by this point of course. I've noticed that some of the DVDs feel "too easy" now (specifically Ultimate Ball), so I have to make sure I am upping my reps or weights to stay challenged. Tom Holland mentions throughout the program that it's all about what YOU put into the program, and I definitely agree.

Like I mentioned, I've only lost 5 pounds this month, but I believe I've gained quite a bit in muscle mass. My arms are actually rock hard now, which I never thought I would be able to say. I can see lines of definition between my trips, biceps, and on my back... my collarbone is even starting to make an appearance again! My stomach continues to shrink, and jeans that were a perfect fit a month ago are now teetering on the verge of being too loose.

Halfway through the month I actually injured my right hand during the program. I can't remember which DVD it was exactly, but it was where you were in a plank position with dumbbells in hands, and bringing one hand up to your chest at a time. I took a few days off to let my hand heal (the doctor said I just sprained it), and then I got right back. I just make sure that I am extremely careful with those types of movements now so that I don't stress my hand again. So to anyone who is reading this: do NOT get overzealous with the weights you use. Tom mentions to choose a weight that challenges you, but to still make sure you can control the weight.

Speaking of weights, I am now happily using 15 lb. dumbbells for the majority of my workouts and 10 lb. dumbbells for things I am still a little weak on. This is a great improvement because at the beginning of the program, I used 8 lb. dumbbells for a few things and 5 lb. dumbbells for most everything else.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now! I'll check back in on Day 90.
on September 17, 2012
Format: DVD
If you want a solid, challenging, toning program you can do at home, which includes a lot of variety and requires minimum equipment, this set is a great value.

The system consists of 10 separate workouts, each on a separate DVD.

You don't necessary need to keep up with the "athletes" on the video. As the instructor says over and over, challenge yourself with what you can handle in terms of weight and pace.

Below is a summary of the 10 CDs and how I use the system. I use 7 of the 10 CD's, alternating with running (or using our elliptical in the winter).

Most of the workouts can be done in about 30 minutes; a couple of them are 40 minutes.

All the equipment you need is free weights. I current use 8, 10, and 15 pound sets. I may eventually get 20s. Women are challenged to get beyond light weights. Occasionally the routines use a large Swiss ball, but they provide alternatives if you do not have one (which I don't).

Here are the 10 DVDs and their time requirements (I list the 7 I use first; then the other three):

* Warmup (4:19): The warmup includes ab work (the core) & is (at first) like a mini-workout. At over 4 minutes, all of the DVDs except Tabatha Inferno has this warmup.
* Cool-down (5:57): These are stretches. All of the 10 DVDs have the same cool-down.

1. Chest & Back (32:30 total)
Workout (22:14): At over 22 minutes, they move fast on this first DVD.

3. Tabata Inferno (43:42 total)
Workout (37:45): This is long and tough but I like it. It includes moderate and tough aerobics, with some weight training. The exercises include jumping variations, core work, and the circuits don't seem to end. When I am in a hurry, I leave out the last 5 minutes or so.

4. Shoulders & Arms (43:05 total)
Workout (32:49). This one makes my triceps very sore for a few days. It is getting a bit better as time goes on.

5. Cardio Challenge (41:22 total)
Workout (31:06): A good, challenging, cardio workout, alternating 30 seconds of aerobics, followed by 30 seconds of rest, followed by 30 seconds of using moderate weights in an aerobic fashion, followed by 30 seconds of rest, and then repeat the same pattern.

6. Legs (33:17 total)
Workout (22:51): This is not only leg work, including a fair amount of ab (core) work.

7. Total Body (33:33 total)
Workout (23:17). As the name implies, a good all-around workout.

8. Core Dynamics (28:22 total)
Workout (18:06): At just over 18 minutes, this is the shortest workout.

CD's I do not use (and my substitutes)

2. Ultimate Ball (40:49 total) [I use Core Dynamics instead]

9. Back & Bi's (56:38 total) [I use Shoulder/Arms instead]
Workout (46:22): This is the longest workout, at over 46 minutes.

10. Chest, Shoulders, & Tri's (45:18 total) [I use Chest/Back instead]