Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

• Customer Reviews

on September 22, 2007
I am the composite tool kit manager for our squadron in the USAF. We orderd 32 of the lights 2 each in 16 tool boxes. I used them under some of the roughest conditions. The light is great but cant take to many drops the bulbs are very sensitive. They also get very hot if used for extended periods and the batterys dont last long at all usually around 30 minutes of continous use. Great flashlight but I recomend buying the LED version at 80 lumens or the replacement bulbs.
on April 30, 2006
I picked one of these up recently and am very pleased with it. No one can believe how bright it is. I was able to try out several lights when I got this one and no other could compare. The more expensive streamlight scorpion cost more and was noticably dimmer and the beam was not at all full like this Surefire G2. I plan to keep this one in my pocket and buy a surefire C3 next for the house. This light is excellent for the money - you won't be disappointed.
on March 19, 2006
I had heard about these lights, but only recently purchased one. The price tag kept me away for a long time. Spending $9 on a mini-mag was reasonable, and I was familiar with them from my years in the military. Dropping $40 to $100 on a flashlight was a hard barrier to cross.

Once you get one of these home and get used to the brilliant light that it produces, you will never go back to a "regular" flashlight.

This flashlight is smaller and lighter than a mini-mag. The mini-mag is a great light to use in the car, around the home, or out in the field. The Surefire is in a completely different category. On a dark night, it will light up your back yard like a floodlight. It's more like a very bright camera flash that stays on until you release the button.

Get one. Get one for your spouse. It's a fantastic flashlight, and has the added benefit of being a great self defense tool.
on October 9, 2008
I recently purchased this flashlight for an annual camping trip. I previously had tactical LED flashlight from another company that I bought for $150 about 5 years ago, which was a very good flashlight. Unfortunately, I lost that one and was looking for a replacement.

I considered purchasing a similar flashlight that I had before. However, considering how easy I lost it, I did not want to spend too much money this time around. Through some quick research, I came across the Surefire brand. My primary goal was to find the brightest LED (clean light source) light I can find that would have an acceptable max performance time. I settled on the fact that 80 lumen seemed to be the appropriate balance based on the available specs. My previous light was a machine tooled aluminum case and I really liked the solid feel of that light. After reviewing the Surefire choices, the aluminum casings were more than I wanted to spend. So, against my earlier desires, I chose the G2 LED for light specs, size (to fit in pocket), and price, despite having a "plastic" case.

First off, I was way more than pleasantly surprised by the functioning of this light. In the woods in near total darkness, this light provides a solid beam that is hard to describe, but is certainly not disappointing. The view distance is much farther than you could think by looking at this light in the daytime. You can see clearly something at least 100 yards away with this light and probably farther than that since I am guessing. As noted above, I put "plastic" in quotes. When you feel this light, you do not worry about the durability, you actually begin to appreciate it. This light feels solid and of top quality. You don't worry about dropping and cracking this light. It feels that solid. Frankly, the lighter weight of the flashlight makes this probably a better choice for those who like to keep a flashlight in the pocket. My previous light was pretty heavy and could pull down sweatpants for instance. This light sat just right.

There are some things that I think could be improved a little. The light has a lockout switch that you engage by turning the cap something like a half turn. You do feel it engage in that mode. What I did not like is that even in this mode, the light would flash on and it seemed that you had to be spot on to make sure it would not come on when you did not want it too. In fact, when I arrived at my trip, I realized that the flashlight was on and eventually I had very little life in that set of batteries and was forced to use my spare batteries sooner than I would like to have. I do think that Surefire should look into improving this lockout mechanism further. I also think that they should provide a carry case too. I know that the lens is made of high quality plastic, but I think people feel better knowing that it is protected in a sheath when storing in a bag with other items. I also agree with the other reviewer that a click on, click off button in the back would be more useful. I found the feel of the push button to be off a bit and I would routinely use the twist feature even for short use. Not a big deal, but something that could be better.

I rate this flashlight in pure light performance a 5 star for sure considering the price. $60+ dollars seems a lot for a light, but this is not a Wal-Mart special. This is worth a few more dollars and I feel that I got my money's worth. I rate the light a 4 star due primarily to the lock out mechanism. I feel it let me down a little since I lost a full set of batteries quickly. When I locked it out before my trip began, I triple checked whether or not it was engaged by fiddling with it, hitting the cap switch etc and it still was on when I brought it out at nightfall. Fortunately I brought spares, but if did not, I would have been using the less powerful "usable" light for the trip. I would describe the "usable" light similar to a mini mag-lite, but probably a bit more bright.

If you are looking for great performance at an acceptable price, I would consider this light if I was shopping again. In fact, if I ever need another flashlight, I will make Surefire my first go to brand.
on April 10, 2008
I love Surefire lights (I own almost every one) but this one might give you the most bang for your buck of the lot. It doesn't burn batteries like the incandescent lights yet it has brightness of one. The ONLY thing I wish it had was a "Click-on Lock-out Tailcap"--but that is something that I think Surefire should put on all their lights...not sell it separately. Very nice light. A+
on January 23, 2007
The G2 is made of special plastic called Nitrolon. It's very durable and light, and because it's non-metallic, the flashlight doesn't feel cold even if operated with bare hands on freezing temperatures. This is a nice feature, considering that while winter is the darkest season, it's also the coldest.

The flashlight has a separate momentary on light switch that is operated by pressing the switch. The light switch has particularly crisp feel to it, so you can feel easily the threshold where the light is going to light up. If you want the light to go constant on, you'll have to twitch the end cap. The end cap turns easily, so you can operate it with one hand, without changing your grip on the flashlight. The flashlight features also lock out function that prevents the light going on accidentally, like when carried inside a pocket.

The intensity of the light is average, compared to other quality tactical flashlights (naturally, it's much brighter than any "general purpose flashlight", like Mini Maglite). However, considering the price, with G2 you'll get good performance for the money.

The lens is made of plastic, which means it can melt or deform if the light is turned on for too long periods. On earlier models, the light switch was loose so that when you changed batteries it could fall to the ground (and even became lost). They have improved that fault in recent model, however.
on April 30, 2007
There's something terribly appealing about the Surefire G2. It can be carried in a pocket, or a pocketbook, and can easily temporarily blind an attacker with a simply push of a button. Still, it's an incandescent light and despite its power, battery life is only one hour with two CR123 batteries.

The G2 used to sell for $26. Now everyone wants about $65 and Amazon, $59. For that price, I'd recommend an Olight M20 Warrior, which is selling for $69 currently.
on September 5, 2012
hands down this is an awesome flashlight. brought this flashlight wth me on one of my deployments to afghanistan well i was in the marines amd it was a wise move. the batteries run out fast, but when you have an unlimited supply of them it reallly doest matter. reccomend having a few spare batteries with you at all times. had this flashlight under about 3-4 feet of wter many different times in the helmad river and after everytime it still performed like it was brand new
This is a great flashlight and even better than the more expensive Surefire 6P LED model. It has the same brightness and performance yet has slightly longer run time and is lighter (hard plastic casing rather than metal in the 6P). I actually prefer the G2 because it's easier on your clothes if you like to keep the light in your pocket (the knurled grip on the metal 6P model can tear at your clothing).

Furthermore, the G2 is a lot less expensive so you get more bang for your buck with it yet you get the identical performance.

For super long run time and brightness for a given size, and for the price value, the Surefire G2 cannot be beat!
on September 18, 2007
Yes I know that $20+ is alot to ask for a flashlight. But it's worth it! I do alot of technical theater work, building sets, hanging lights, crawling into small, dark places. My Maglight couldn't keep up with me, and after much groaning I bought a G2. It's at least 5 times brighter than my old AA powered maglight, and it powered by lithium batt's. My only word of caution is that the front bulb housing gets HOT when you have it on for a while. Also if you want to get decent accesories for it (Filters, pouches) go to the main website.