4.0 out of 5 stars SureFire 6PX Pro.
Published on November 1, 2010 by Patrick McDougal

1.0 out of 5 stars I've had this for one year and it doesn't work
Published 6 months ago by Cindy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars SureFire 6PX Pro., November 1, 2010
Patrick McDougal (Ringgold, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
I have been using this light for about two weeks now and am generally happy with it. As the owner of a drawer full of tactical type lights from SureFire, Streamlight, Coast, Maglite, and others, I like to think I have a reasonably informed opinion about flashlights from the operational/functional viewpoint. I have been looking for a dual output light that is tough, with good ouput, and with an easy to using switching system for a while. I bought this one to fill that void. The construction is certainly of good quality but somewhat of a departure for SureFire... It seems more "stylish" than functional compared to my other (E2DL, G2), but I cannot find any fault with its durability so far. The quality of the fit and finish are excellent as expected. The tail button is a "forward clicky". The first click or momentary press activates the low light mode (15 lumens) and the second click switches it to high mode (200 lumens). I prefer this order compared to others that I have that are the opposite. Most of the time, I need a light to illuminate a nearby area as opposed to see a street sign from 150 feet away so this order makes sense. In addition, when using it in a small space doesn't immediatly blind you. The low light is a bit yellowish but adequate and is rated to last for 45 hours or so. The high mode is very white with a good combination or throw and spill. It's rated at 2 hours. The reflector has a star like pattern at the edges of the light cone. The beam width is wider than other lights of similiar rating and I have found that to be a welcome change.

Overall, I find the light to be intuitative to use and an excellent value. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Flashlight, February 19, 2011
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
This is a really good flashlight at a good price (for surefire anyway) that offers the dual purposes of being extremely bright and having a long lasting dim mode. The dim mode is excellent for most normal uses since it is bright enough to light things up enough to see without blinding you, then if you press the switch again you get a very bright beam for lighting up large areas outside or blinding people (if you have a fear of people lurking in the dark and want to blind them before they attack). A lot of people don't like how it has the dim mode first then the brighter mode because it's apparently less tactically correct, but I personally like the way it is since I would rather not be blinded by it every time I switch the light on. The construction is the same as most surefires with its milled aluminum frame, the use of CR123 batteries and orange peel reflector that makes a flawless beam. The light is also made in the U.S. despite it not being written anywhere on the light itself; the back of the packaging says that it qualifies by law as a made in USA product even though a very small amount of electronic components are made elsewhere.

One thing that sucks about this light is that they decided to use a plastic window instead of the usual glass found on all of their other models. This plastic scratches easily and seems to collect more lint from your pocket, but frankly it's just annoying because the only reason it is used is to save costs. Another thing for people who like to tear their stuff apart and customize it, this light does not support that since the head is one solid piece and cannot be taken apart; they even try to prevent you from taking it off at all by putting loctite on the threads.

Overall this is a very good light, although I haven't really compared it to other lights other than maglites and other surefires so there may be better for the price. I would have given it 5 stars had it not been for the cheap plastic window, otherwise this is a perfect general purpose flashlight. Also keep in mind they sell the cheaper polymer version which I probably would have bought had it been in stock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Surefire 6PX Pro Dual-Output LED Flashlight (Model # 6PX-B-BK), June 30, 2011
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
I bought 7 Surefire 6PX Pro flashlights from Amazon (on June 2011) and randomly tested a few of them in a remote hilly countryside area where it gets very dark at night except for the light coming from the stars. The light on high output cuts through the darkness very well and has an impressive throw. On low output, it is very useful for reading maps and navigating in the darkness while extending battery life as intended. The lower output is pleasingly brighter than I thought. Please keep in mind that these are fresh never used batteries so the light output is at its peak. When compared to my 6P LED Defender, the light looks yellowish white. The 6P LED Defender looks more whitish cool blue. It is not an ugly yellowish white but a pleasing bright yellowish white. I think if it had more bluish tint, then it would look crisper. I am no expert but I wonder if there is a burn in period with LED bulbs which causes a color shift. When the flashlights are turned off, I can see that the led bulbs look very different from each other.

After trying both click-style and turn-style switches on previous flashlights, I found that the click style is much easier and convenient to use. With a click style switch, I don't have to worry about the unit from disassembling itself because I turned it too much. When screwing on the tailcap after inspecting the batteries, the threading is precise and what I expect from a well made product. Also I'll just have to get used to it but the rubber button seems slightly tougher to press than previous versions or maybe it is because I have yet to break it in. This flashlight can sense the time it takes to press again for high output. This feature is cool but you have to get used to it. By the way, the dual output feature is not solely in the tailcap area, meaning, if you switched tailcaps with a different Surefire flashlight that did not have dual output ability, the dual output will not work. Another interesting feature is that when pressed halfway many times at a rapid rate, it keeps the high output. This is probably good for strobe/disorientation purposes. However I don't know if it will be good for SOS signal purposes.

The exterior body style is very cool and modern looking on website pictures as well as in real life. It looks like something that came out of a Batman movie. I really like the undulating hand grip and the fine CNC machine marks are not as pronounced as with previous models. I wouldn't have minded a slightly deeper undulation on the grip area and an addition of some rubber material for extra security such as found on the Surefire Z (CombatLight) but it is still acceptable. Also there are no knurling patterns (except for the rubber button) which is different from previous designs. The matte finish is a welcome change to the anodized black paint that was found on previous models. I like both types but it was good to experience this one as well. I wonder if this matte surface will handle scratches better than my already scratched anodized black paint flashlights. Sorry, but for the sake of the review I am not willing to sacrifice an intentional scratch!

The white etching/engraving found on the body is good although I'd later fill it in with a black permanent marker to make it look more discreet. Of the 7 same model flashlights that I bought (from different sellers on Amazon), I cannot notice any difference in quality other than the fact that the white engraving is not consistent with each other. The fonts look slightly bigger on some and smaller/sharper on others.

While the crenellated bezel found on the 6PX Pro is not as aggressive as the 6P LED Defender, it is still capable of using it as a strike weapon if necessary. I prefer this modest crenellation because it does not cut into my pockets.

Despite Andrew's review (2/19/11) that I read about the plastic filter, which I thought was a nice attention to detail by him, I went ahead and purchased it. After testing it myself, I have to concur with him that it does feel cheap compared to my other previous model Surefire flashlights. It is disappointing. If you tap on the filter with your finger nails, you will hear a light sound compared to if you tapped on the tempered glass filter in which you would hear a harder solid sound. I place keys together with my flashlight in my pocket all the time so I am not so excited at the prospect that this plastic filter is more susceptible to scratches. My previous model Surefire flashlights with tempered glass have yet to be scratched.

The roll over design is not aggressive enough when it is placed horizontally and this is the main reason I took off a star. This model rolls over easier than my 6P LED Defender and my Surefire Z2L. I thought that this anti rolling feature on previous models was a fantastic idea when compared to my Maglites. However since the 6PX rolls over easily, I can see that Surefire is losing focus on one of their best features. This of course depends on how you place the flashlight on a surface such as a table. If you calmly and carefully place it down on a level surface then it will not roll away. In real world situations, such as combat, hiking, and other outdoor activities, I think most people will not have time to calmly place it down. Therefore in some cases, they may have to say goodbye as their flashlight rolls off.

The included batteries are Surefire brand CR123a lithium batteries. When I purchased my first Surefire flashlight a few years ago, I was worried that I would not be able to find these hard-to-find batteries. However, thanks to the power of the Internet, I can get them easily. I just need to make sure to stock up to use as a backup. I really like that these batteries last long in storage and retains good power throughout the years. This aspect is definitely a good feature for emergency disaster kit situations. The batteries that I found in my flashlights were fresh with an expiration year of 2021.

I also have a couple Surefire G2X flashlights and I cannot tell any difference in the quality of the light between this and the 6PX Pro. The G2X is also a very nice flashlight. Even though the G2X is made out of cheaper material it does not feel cheap at all. It has a good heft to it like the 6PX Pro. The 6PX Pro just feels a little more special due to its tank-like construction.

The wording on the package states: Designed and assembled in the U.S.A. of domestic and foreign components. This product qualifies as "American Made" under the Buy American Act.

It also states: Not for weapon-mounted applications.

The plastic packaging is PET which is one of the most widely recycled plastics. The printed card packaging is also recyclable. I suggest that you use a scissor and cut close to the edge on the sides of the card to avoid damaging your scissor by cutting into the thick plastic material.

The included user manual is short but informative and it shows both 6PX Pro and G2X Pro models.

Surefire is losing some of the strong selling points such as anti-roll feature and use of plastic filter instead of tempered glass, however I still like the compact yet high output led design of Surefire flashlights. I bought this flashlight because of the dual-output and the modern looking design on this flashlight. After owning and using many different types of flashlights, I'd recommend buying more of the affordable Maglite for the house, car, and toolbox, but carry a Surefire flashlight as a backup wherever you go even though it is overlapping your need because you never know when you need more than one flashlight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mid sized light w power, November 15, 2010
M. Rich (Michigan, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
Was seeking a high quality mid-size (between 4-7 inches) light with power. This seemed well priced. Could not be happier. Surefire has a winner. Feel is high quality, but light and very easy to grip. Low beam is a bit weak (as I expected at about 15 Lumens) but ok for very basic use. High power (200 Lumens) is excellent and fully lights anything in my backyard...or the neighbors. I like the size as it feels more substantial than a 'personal' light of say 4" but not so big as to be unwieldy. Some friends have big Streamlights and I think it is weird to pull out a 12"+ long light with a huge head, that does no more than what this nicely packaged Surefire will do.

Summary:
Quality: A
Light: B for low beam, A + for high beam
Switch: A
Value: A++

4.0 out of 5 stars Surefire 6PX-Pro, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
This is a very nice, but expensive, flashlight with one design flaw, no provision for a lanyard. Not even a small hole for a split ring. You have to go back to the manufacturer and pay another $13 for a clunky special design ring that fits between the body and the tailcap. I'll bet when the engineers designed the proto-type for this flashlight it included a lanyard hole. Someone in management nixed the hole, realizing you could stiff your customer for another 13%. Who wants a $100 flashlight they can't hang on to when the going gets rough? Even though I bought the nylon belt holster, I still want a lanyard to make it harder to loose in use.

That complaint aside, the flashlight is very well made and functions nicely, I particularly like the two light intensities. One set of batteries is rated to last 2.5 hours on the 200 lumen setting and 45 hours on the 15 lumen setting. The lower light setting is more than adequate for 90% of the things you would use it for in an emergency or camping setting. The reflector also provides the perfect spread on the beam, 90% in the central area but enough peripheral light to keep you from stumbling over thing on the trail. My home was hit by hurricane Rita some years back and in living almost 3 weeks with no electricity I discovered that even the smallest key-chain LED is enough light for most tasks. It is nice to have the big-light 200 lumens at your fingertips but will probably use it rarely. In a tactical situation, the 200 lumens would be a must.

I bought this for an emergency prepardness "bug-out" bag and was attracted to both the long 45 hour low-light setting and the long shelf life of the 123A Lithium batteries it uses. The set that came in the flashlight had a 2/2021 expiration date; giving me nearly 10 yrs. Surefire also offers a case of 12 replacement batteries for a reasonable price; as well as a 6 battery O-ring sealed plastic carrier which is very nice. I bought both, so with 6 spares in the carrier and one set in the flashlight, I have 4 sets. (4 x 45hrs)/4 hrs use a night = 45 nights. That should be good for most emergencies.

Except for the lanyard ring issue, an maybe a slightly lower price, I'm very pleased with the SureFire 6PX-Pro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
This flashlight has the best light output of any other flashlight I own. I own 3 other SureFire Flashlights. The grip leaves something to be desired. Because they didn't put the cross cut pattern on the grip it tends to slip. The grip requires constant pressure to keep it from slipping when wet. My L4 has a great grip, I wish they would have used the same crosscut on the 6PX PRO. other than that this would be a five star flashlight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact flashlight, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
Although pricey for a flashlight, this is no ordinary flashlight. Surefires are the best made flashlights out there. Compact with a light that is very bright and works well in any situation whether for work or home. I have had this brand for many years of reliable use and highly recommend.

The 6px is reasonably priced at 80 bucks or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surefire Fashlight, February 3, 2013
R. Sandoval (Colombia South America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
The Surefire 6PX-B_BK flashlight is probably my favorite of the Surefire's and I have two other models but this one is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surefire 6PX-B-BK, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight (Sports)
This is my second 6 series flashlight, and the momentary/continuous on-off button, on the rear, can provide momentary low with the first push then release, momentary high with the second push then release or you can push fully in to click the continuous low or high feature. The low beam is adequate for most close lighting/battery saving and the high gives a very bright beam when needed. This one is a keeper.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've had this for one year and it doesn't work, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Surefire 6 PX Pro Flashlight
I bought this in October of last year. I barely use it; it mostly sits on my nightstand. A few days ago the on/off switch stopped working. It is stuck in its current position so I cannot use the higher intensity light feature. I have to unscrew the flashlight to get it to turn off. I paid $90 for this. If it had quit after 5 years I might have given it a higher rating. When it worked it worked well. The higher intensity setting was incredibly bright although it didn't last long. So I am also stuck with a box of extra batteries that I also bought with this and can't use since they are specific to this flashlight. Poor investment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›