Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on February 19, 2011
Seems like they took a bunch of bylines from magazines about good business ideas and slapped a cover on them. This book is no more useful than a list of the suggested businesses would be. Pass on this book and maybe do a web search, or buy the book an see if you like any ideas then find a book on that specific topic with some actual meat in it.
on February 2, 2011
I picked this up looking for ideas about what kind of small business to start and unfortunately, while this book had a general list of the usual suspects of food businesses-it lacked innovative ideas and the ideas I was interested in looking into were so over-generalized and under-researched the info given was barely useful.

Peruse it at your local library and invest those precious dollars you'll save in books that will actually help you launch your business, like the NOLO series books.
on July 25, 2013
I ran across this book while searching the library for books on starting a (non-food) related business. I was drawn to it by the "under $5000" aspect, and wondered how they could start a business with so little capital. Not surprisingly, they don't. None of the articles I sampled had a budget that demonstrated how you could do this. In fact, some of the articles mentioned how a basic expense would have to be per-owned (want to start a farm? You need to already own the land if you want to stay under $5000...well, duh)

Beyond this, the advice was virtually worthless, bordering on common sense (Did you know you can sell old stuff on ebay? I for one didn't...) Each article is about 4 pages long, and tells you basically nothing most people do not already know. The book briefly discusses food safety and regulations on page 1 and 2 of the introduction, which points you to some government websites and advises you to contact local government to find out about requirements in your area. This is probably the most important part of opening a food related business, and likely to be the most mysterious to a person just starting out.

As a practical aid in starting your business: 0/5
As a "idea" book to help you find the right business for you, which you can then research in depth: 1/5
on July 2, 2015
I must preface this review by emphasizing that I do review multiple career books (food related businesses)such as this one, because I’m currently looking into them more as options for a second job while I’m living here in Maryland due to the fact that I hope to keep my current job while living here in the D.C. area while working a second job and/or creating a legal source of additional income(also, I intend to avoid moving outside of the Washington D.C. area this year (2015)( regardless of what happens). I’m grateful for what I already have, but I prefer to work two jobs while living in the Washington D.C. area because I recently realized that I must increase my financial value to today’s rate of at least 18 dollars per hour due to the percentage rate of taxes that come out of my paycheck (in order to set myself on a healthier financial pathway). With that said, 55 Related Food Related Businesses You Can Start for Under $5,000 dollars by Entrepreneur Press and Cheryl Kimball contains a wealth of information for those who are open to looking at unique ideas of starting businesses serving food to the public. For instance, there is information available for those who are interested in giving cooking classes (pages 40-41) (not for me though). However, the author goes into detail about the cooking classes such as marketing angle, things to consider (what kind of cooking a person may want to specialize in if they choose to , having take home materials etc.). Creating cutting boards for kitchens is featured (not something I’d be interested in, however someone who enjoyed their wood shop classes growing up may like this). There is also a feature of cookware sales, however the one caveat that I would obviously see is that a person and/or group of people who undertake this business are going to have to have their cookware be unique and apart from what someone can get at their local department store. However, the wide range of ideas featured in this book still make it a worthwhile purchase (such as with chocolate making featured on pages 97-100).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2011
Good packaging, received befor scheduled date. This book has everything that you need to get started with a business in food service. I have not found a better source anywhere locally. Ordering it from Amazon was my only option. They did a great job I am totally satisfied..
0Comment0 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2012
First, the book arrived in excellent condition and very promptly. It is loaded with practical ideas of businesses and yes for under $5000. Some ideas take for granted that one has certain equipment but there are some that can be started completely within this budget.
on April 24, 2011
Buy this book! It will help you start and keep your food business. It will give you tips, ideas and what not to do advice. Buy it, buy it, buy it!
0Comment0 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse