5.0 out of 5 stars Deafeningly quiet...
Published on January 31, 2010 by M. Mustain

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Parts
Published on April 1, 2012 by Christopher Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Deafeningly quiet..., January 31, 2010
M. Mustain (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I spend a good amount of time on weekends at the range, and one round with my .45 - not to mention the other hundred guns around - is enough to begin a serious search for the right ear protection. I tried a few other items, then came across the Surefire EP4s - and I don't believe I'll find anything better in the near future. What was once nearly an all-but-intolerable affair is now muted to little more than distant pops.

My grade weighted a few things:
1) Comfort - they are small, lightweight and low profile, excellent when they'll be in use for several hours at a time.
2) Price - quality ear protection perhaps is priceless, but finding a pair for as little $ as the EPs was a shock to me, especially once I put them to use.
3) They work. I've worn over-ear headphones, throw-away in-ear plugs and everything between. And not once has any surpassed the EP4s. You won't be disappointed.

One final comment: I was skeptical to use them with the plug pulled out, so most of the day I had the plugs in use and hardly a sound got in. But as I sat to clean my weapon I pulled the plugs to see how they'd do, and I was very surprised as to how well they still canceled much of the irritating and dangerous gunfire.

Great, versatile product. I'll be looking for more Surefire items.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Earplug Ever, June 19, 2011
I am a firearms instructor and EP4s are the best earplugs that I have ever used. I personally have never had any success in getting foam plugs to remain snug inside my ear. These suction-in like a plumber's friend toliet tool and you definitely will have good ear protection. I prefer to to use them in combination with 30+ dec. ear muffs that will cover the noise-sensing bones behind my ears. I have found the combination to help myself and students to completely ignore loud firearm reports which greatly assists in eliminating flinching (shooters react to the noise not the recoil). I would also recommend the EP4 over the EP3 which has one less suction cup and is less efficient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for reusable ear plugs, June 27, 2010
B. Toy (San Mateo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've never been a fan of foam earplugs because they're so annoying to insert. It always takes me 2-4 attempts to get them rolled up to the point where they'll go into my ears and then you have to wait for them to expand. These Surefire plugs insert very easily, quickly and are surprisingly comfortable in my ears. Noise attenuation is good, not as good as foamies but still very good. If I have these in and ear muffs on top, gunshots sound as if someone is popping bubblewrap underneath a blanket. This is with the stoppers in. I haven't been brave enough to try them with the stoppers out.

I tried riding my motorcycle with a full-face Arai helmet (known for not being quiet helmets) and they're great for that use. With the stoppers out, the wind noise is about as loud as driving in your car with the windows down. I don't feel as though I'm isolated from the rest of traffic, which is what made me uncomfortable using foam ear plugs while riding. I still get a slight sense of stereo imaging so I can "feel" where the cars are around me. I'm picking up a 2nd set specifically for riding.

They're very low profile so you can easily wear them under helmets, earmuffs or anything else that happens to go over your head. You still need to take a little extra care in donning a helmet, but there's very little drama there.

The main negative is that everyone's ear canal is shaped differently so the trial & error part of testing these out can be a turnoff, especially considering their price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, July 24, 2012
Hayden "Adan" (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection (Sports)
I recently took a CHL class and took notice of everyone at the range, almost all of them had the big clunky ear muffs just like myself except for one guy who had these earplugs. I spoke to him about it and he told me about these little beauties about how comfortable they are and how well they cancelled the noise. Well I was able to try them out the other day at the range, and they block out the same if not more than my ear muffs! I definately recommend these plugs, but be mindful that they come in different sizes, I purchased a medium and they worked really well, but I just placed another order for the large in hopes that they will fit even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good plugs., January 11, 2013
This review is from: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection (Sports)
Very comfortable ear plugs.
Do what they are designed to do.
With mini-plugs removed these deaden 9mm outdoors perfectly while still allowing you to hear conversations easily.
With mini-plugs inserted these make the world nice and quiet, great for sleeping in a noisy environment.

I have NOT tried these at an indoor range yet, but I am confident they will perform just as good as they do outside.

I would buy again.
I would suggest to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars worked fine; nice combo under electronic muffs, August 28, 2010
Took these to range and used them under Howard Leight electronic earmuffs most of the time, which was a nice combo - I could talk and hear conversation (with Leights turned up) while the combo very comfortably cut the noise of ARs with muzzle breaks, .45-70, .44 mag, .308, etc. When I took off the Leights, the EP4's were too loud for comfort near ARs, but they did offer protection, and I could keep them in place and not worry about being caught out without any protection if someone started shooting. (I'll try them alone another time with 9mm-type rounds.)

Spent a little while getting used to inserting them and didn't have any problems with sealing or discomfort, wearing them for about 3 hours. (I got medium size, and I'm very average in size.)

(I used them, by the way, without the tiny center plugs inserted, based on what the instructions said.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid use for avid shooters- takes the edge off, February 17, 2012
This review is from: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection (Sports)
Indoors I use these under my "ear-muff" type ear protectors and they add a fair amount of additional protection. They really take the edge off the loud indoor rifle shots. Outdoors I use these just by themselves when shooting pistols. I would approach with caution if you are shooting 5.56 or otherwise loud firearm - you probably can't use these just by themselves in that case. I've had these for 6 months and they have held up great. I would recommend rinsing them off with water each time after you use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Outdoor Ranges, March 24, 2012
I am a firearms instructor, and I used these earplugs all day on a line with 10 shooters firing at once. There was absolutely no discomfort during the fire courses, and I could still hear normal conversations and commands from the other range masters. I also used these to fire my own pistol and rifle courses and again, no problems with the bangs being too loud. It should be noted that I did all of this with the stoppers OUT, so I imagine how quiet things would get if they were in. I was going to test it out but I never needed to since they work great without them in and I really wanted to be able to still hear people talking for safety reasons.

As far as sizing goes, I got a medium and they fit great with no discomfort. I had these in and out all day and my ears were not sore at all. My only complaint is the lanyard they come with is a little awkward. You have to stick the ends of the lanyard inside the plug itself, which is not very secure. If you brush up against anything, they WILL go flying off your cord and on the ground, so keep checking to make sure you still have them both attached if you use this carry option. However the whole package comes in a little plastic clamshell so I think next time I will just throw them in there and stow them in my pocket between shooting.

Overall a great little product, especially for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Parts, April 1, 2012
This review is from: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection (Sports)
I bought these to go under my full face helmet while riding my motorcycle. They worked great for 3 months, but after that time the plug started rotating and it is annoying having to adjust the plugs back to the correct angle before every use. If you're going to use them for shooting, I think they'll do that trick; but if you are using them in a situation where you take them in and out on a daily basis I Just don't see these working out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive product! Must have for a shooter!, March 16, 2012
R. Marquez (DENHAM SPRINGS, LA, US) - See all my reviews
These things are the bomb! They more than adequately suppress gunfire even with the little tabs out! With the tabs in, you only hear a low "thump" when you're shooting. I can shoot any caliber I have and still have a conversation with people without taking them out. Very comfortable and low profile design doesn't give you that ear-ache after an hour. I've had them in over 3 hours at the range once and forgot they were in my ears! For $20..... you MUST have a pair in your bag. I plan on buying another set just to keep in my truck incase I forget them at home. THIS IS THE BEST $20 I'VE EVER SPENT ON AMAZON!

Rate and Discover Movies