4.0 out of 5 stars If you were looking for more from a tablet, you found it
The reason I bought a surface pro 2

Published 9 months ago by Maverick Vailladin

1.0 out of 5 stars Started great, ended with a whimper!
Published 9 months ago by Maverick

4.0 out of 5 stars If you were looking for more from a tablet, you found it, November 3, 2013
This review is from: Surface Pro 2 - 128GB Desktop Tablet, by Microsoft 6" (Personal Computers)
The reason I bought a surface pro 2

I have been looking for a way to eliminate the need for my iPad and my bulky work laptop and still be able to perform any and all work related or personal tasks at the drop of a hat. I tried to add apps to the iPad like quick office and others to help in editing and doing simple xls functions, but I found it was not enough. I looked at ultra books and 2 in 1's and convertibles. None of those options gave me the true flexibility and performance that I was looking for.

What I wanted was, the ability to do complex excel tasks (pivot tables and more), manage my email in a familiar and productive way, keep up on my news and social networks without having to go to each web site individually, edit photos, presentations and even create marketing materials, and most of all I wanted to use this as a tablet and still retain all the functionality of a "PC"

The great

Speed and Power: The Surface Pro 2 is FAST, I have tested it running most programs and games that I reserve for my gaming/PS PC and it handled them with ease. NOTE: if you are a gamer, you will be able to run most newer games on this, BUT at med to low graphics at best, it's a good way to quench your jitters while on the road or away from your gaming rig but in no way a replacement for a gaming PC. Photoshop and other intensive programs it is more than capable off (add in the stylus and PS becomes so much better!)

Full Office: Selling point for me, I can install most any program that runs on my regular PC and it adds in stylus/touch controls. See my notes about Office 2013/365 in the "not so good" section below as I am running office 2007.

Type Pad 2: This is a great accessory, I could add it into the bad section because you have to pay for it, but it is well worth the extra cash, backlit and very easy typing compared to full-size.
Stylus: I bought about 10 different stylus for the iPad for drawing and editing photos, the active stylus on the surface blows them all away. If you like to take notes with pen and paper, you will not notice a difference when using this stylus/tablet combo.

Size: Compact, easy to open and start working, and a good form. At 2 pounds, some people might pass on this, but keep in mind you have a full windows 8 operating system on board and an i5 processor. The weight compared to what's under the hood is completely acceptable for me.

Battery Life: rated at 7 hours doing regular activities is much less than the "competition" but again, for what you get in comparison to an ultra book or 2 in 1 this thing rocks! I can get thru a full work day without having to charge and it does charge to full in a couple of hours.

Windows 8.1: I put this in the middle of the road; this OS is defiantly coming along, but will take some getting used to be patient with it, it is a lot easier to navigate and manage with a touch screen.

The not so great

The windows app store: Is not there yet, some of the apps are great, but you will find they are higher priced than you are used to paying in the google play or App store. As more people get into windows 8 we will see more, quality apps coming thru the store. You will sacrifice some of the cool/fun apps you get on your iPad, but you will quickly find ways to replace them.

Glare: You will get a good amount of glair in some situations, you can turn the brightness up to counter this, but then you are sacrificing some battery life.

Wifi: The built in Wifi card is terrible, sitting next to my AP I could get 3MBPS Down and 10 UP (I have 50/25 service) I connected a USB wifi dongle that I have and got 50down/25up immediately. I am not sure if this can be fixed with firmware updates or not, but it is defiantly a major issue for me. Doing the basics it isn't overly noticeable, but when I want to download a large file I connect the external USB adapter to shave days off of a download.

Office 2013/365: If you use google sync or other mail services with outlook, do not download the free trial of office on this, it is highly unstable and in compatible, save yourself the time and install office 2007 or 2010.

Initial set up: It took me about 6 hours to get this set up the way I wanted it, between installing all my programs and playing with the live tiles and setting up syncing with all of my other cloud services. It took longer than I wanted it to, I hesitate to say this is a negative, its more of a warning to be prepared, you are not going to turn this on and DL some apps and get to work, it's a full blown PC and you will need to take some time to get it how you like it.

Some of the things I have listed as positive things can be taken as negatives depending on what you are looking for out of the surface pro 2. This product is not for everyone if you are just looking to be entertained, go get an iPad or Android tablet. If you are looking to be multifunctional and completely capable of anything at the drop of a hat, then this is the device for you. I recommend this for road warriors and workaholics alike, it can replace all other devices. Casual/social media hounds will find this heavy and clunky and are better off with an iPad.

I am only giving 4 stars because the Wifi issue really bothers me, it's like buying a high end sports car and putting 87 octane gas in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of its kind that's available now; it does replace a laptop for most people..., November 29, 2013
Length:: 7:50 Mins

I bought this from MicrosoftStore.com with a 10% student discount.

I am a 22 year old college student who loves pen enabled tablets and I have been using these types of tablets for the past 6 years. I hope this honest and extensive reviews helps you decide if this tablet is right for you. This expensive tablet/laptop is meant to replace your current laptop. Don't buy this if you just want a simple convenient tablet for occasional use; buy an android tablet for around $300. There is no point in getting a windows tablet. Almost all electronics, mainly computers have some flaws and the Surface Pro 2 is no expectation. If you are willing to spend over a $1,100 on a computer I think you should at least read this LONG review. This review is for only the device, not Windows 8 and its limited apps selection. You can't compare any android tablets to this because this is a FULL computer. It runs all software like Microsoft Office without any limitation. It runs all desktop and mobile version software.

PEN ENABLED - A tablet that has a PRESSURE sensitive screen and that accepts input from a fine point digitizer pen. Finger touch is great but it's hard to touch things on a screen smaller than 15 inches. The pen is the perfect solution and it is very precise.

If you want to protect your Surface Pro and Pro 2 and have a nice looking and useful case, read and watch my video review on the Manvex case.

In my opinion ONCE YOU USE A PEN ENABLED TABLET, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GO BACK TO ANY OTHER TYPES OF COMPUTERS, you won't know how awesome it is until you use one

YOU CAN SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH BUT I THINK A LITTLE BACKGROUND IS USEFUL INFORMATION TO SEE HOW GOOD THIS TABLET REALLY IS.

Tablets are not new technology, although it has taken off in the past several years. I bought my first pen tablet (no finger touch) in 2007. It was the Lenovo X61 and I bought it for $1,500. And I have purchased the X201 and X220 tablets. They were around the same price when released. The X201 and the X220 both had finger touch along with pen touch. As you can see, pen enabled tablets are expensive. So the price for the Surface Pro 2 makes sense to me. I was wondering for years, why no other companies were not making a decent pen tablets besides Lenovo. Although I liked the performance, usability, and reliability of the Lenovo tablets, I was getting tired of paying so much for a tablet whose design never changed. You could not differeciate the 2011 model from the 2007 model and the design was pretty ugly. Finally the Lenovo Helix came out with a much better design but I decided not to buy it after reading all the problems it had. I liked the Surface Pro but I didn't like the battery life and I wanted to wait for the next model because this is the first tablet Microsoft made and I didn't' want to take a chance. Also I still liked my X220 tablet. Meanwhile other companies made pen tablets but nothing came close to the Lenovo.

IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?
I think all the bad reviews you will read for the Surface Pro 2 will be mainly because the tablet is not right for that person. Being said that, this should not get a rating below 4 stars if the right person is using it. Below I will list who it is best for ranking from highest to lowest suitability.

Who is it for?
***College/School Students - This is a must have for a person who is in school and has to take notes. This replaced 3 or 4 notebooks that I had to carry to my classes. Microsoft OneNote is a must have software for this tablet. Please watch some videos on OneNote and give it a try. I have virtual notebooks and I use write on the screen just like I would write on paper, except you never run out of paper. Imagine using 100 different highlighters and colors without actually having 100 different color highlighters and pens. After a few weeks, you will wonder why you ever wrote on paper. All your notebooks are in one place. Not to mentions how light it is. YOU WILL LOVE OneNote after you learn to use it. My grades improved after I used this approach to take notes because it was easy to study for exams because everything is in one organized place.
***Business professionals - If you attend many meetings at work and have to take notes, this is a must have. Same concept applies as for college students. OneNote is a must have software.
***Artists - If you draw, then pen enabled tablets are a no brainer. You have all the colors of the rainbow in your disposal for FREE. Obviously nothing compares to actual pen/pencils when it comes to drawing shades and shadows but this types of tablets is the next best thing. You can create amazing artwork by using some of the software that are available and most of them provide shadow and shades capabilities.

Who should buy something else?
***People who think 15 inch is the perfect size - If you are using a 15 inch laptop and you think 12 inch is almost too small to consider, then you will hate the surface pro 2. I am used to using the 12 inch Lenovo tablets and at first I had hard time adjusting to it but I love it now because of the high definition screen.
***People who love big screens - If you like using 17 inch laptops, don't even think about buying this. You are wasting your money on this. Buy the regular surface or a normal tablet that costs around $300 for convenient and occasional usage.
***Desktop users - If you currently use a desktop and want a tablet for occasional and convenient usage, then buy a much cheaper tablet. This tablet does too much and that's why it costs so much.

Sorry for all that information LET'S GET TO WHAT MATTERS:
Pros:
-Design - I love the design, it is well constructed, and decent weight for a powerful machine. It is very stylish
-Display - The display is very sharp and high quality. 1080p is all you need to know.
- Performance - For the price and compared to other tablets, this is the fastest one available. I had no delay doing any work.
- Audio - Surprisingly it sounds very loud and clear, if you want more sound, get a wireless mini speaker.
- Battery life - I am easily able to get 7 hours with normal usage. I don't expect much more from a powerful and small machine like this.
- Touch/Pen - The touch with finger and pen works perfectly.
-Weight - For the power that it has and the batter life it provides, I think the weight is a plus. Most people say it's too heavy, but what they forget is that this is replacing a laptop. All the reviews says, "Heavy and thick for a tablet", once again, this is not just a tablet.
-Keyboard - The keyboard is awesome, I love how strong the connection between the keyboard and the tablet is. I am not a big fan of the touch keyboard; it is sitting in my table. The type cover 2 keyboard is awesome. Light, thin, and backlight.
-Kickstand - The kick stand is perfect, it has two angles to suit your need. Very stable and well-constructed; I have no problems using it on my lap or on a table.

Cons:
-Touchpad - Like most people says the touchpad is not that great. It is not very responsive and sometimes does things by itself. But I rarely use the touchpad, the pen is way too convenient and I use that 90% of the time.
-USB Port - I wish it had one more USB port, but I guess I'll have to buy a usb hub.
-Memory Card Slot/ Given the size, they should had included a full SD Card slot, micro SD only supports maximum 64gb for now.
-Charging port - The charger magnet is not as strong as the keyboard magnet. While it is not flimsy but it falls of if with slight pull.
-No Pen Holder - The pen attaches to the charging port, which is not strong enough to hold the pen securely. Buy the Manvex case and that will solve the issue.

The cons are small things that could be better but nothing major that makes the tablet a bad choice.

You might wonder if there is a thinner and lighter tablet that is almost as powerful. Yes but the thin and light comes at a price. The Sony Tap 11 is the only tablet that I think comes close to competing. But Surface Pro 2 is a clear winner. The Surface has better build quality and better battery life. Also the keyboard for the Tap 11 is dumb. You can't use it on your lap because the keyboard is wireless and you can't attach it like the surface. There are some other drawbacks but you can read the review on TheVerge.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surface Pro 2 - The Most Evolved Tablet Ever... Really., February 1, 2014
I purchased the original Surface RT tablet. Mostly out of curiosity. It was "interesting" I bought the "Touch" keyboard with it. The touch keyboard really does a disservice to Microsoft and to the device. It DOES work, but not well enough. It was definitely a first cut at it.

Several months later my wife wanted a new PC. She was dumping her Mac because it didn't support the apps she used at school (she's a teacher). So when I looked around, I considered the Surface 2 Pro.

First Impressions
-----------------------
The Surface Pro 2 is a very handsome piece of hardware --but moreover, it's different. Microsoft really has created a new category here. This is a tablet, but definitely not an iPad --it's a lot more. It's not a laptop in the traditional sense --but it does what your laptop used to do in a slick form factor. The materials are quality through out. The color keyboard (I chose the Magenta Type 2) looks and feels impressive. When the wallpaper is matched to the keyboard color it really looks unique. To borrow a word that Apple "owns" the coordinated keyboard and wallpaper colors --they really are "beautiful."

The screen is excellent quality. It definitely made me want to look at it. The touch screen works well. It did make me want to touch and play with it a bit.

The keyboard is great. It's a smaller than the MacBook Air I use, but it is great to type on. Actually I'm finding typing on the MacBook a little slower now, as it feels like the keys are a bit far apart now. That's just habit from using her Surface --but indicative of the device I now pickup when I go to check the news or do a quick search.

You can't adequately see or feel the first impression this tablet makes online. It's very good. Overall, my wife was very happy when she first saw it --and she's doesn't like change, didn't know exactly what it was ("well is it a tablet or a laptop?" she asked). She was all smiles. Home run first impression.

Experience with The Device
--------------------------------------
The kickstand is a truly defining feature of this product. The Surface Pro 2 introduced a two position kickstand so you could adjust the position of the screen depending on the way your sitting. It's very helpful if laying on the couch and working.

The battery has been fine. No complaints. We generally do keep it charged, and let it run down periodically, though we're not as good about either as may be ideal. It just works, and that's good enough for us. There was one time we let it run down to "beyond zero" --and the device wouldn't start. When we plugged it in, it still didn't start and we panicked a bit that it had for some reason become a "brick" --on another machine I went to the Surface online help --which is overall much better than any online help experience I have had with Windows. It's another big change for Microsoft products. It made another positive impression. While going through the online help we were able to restart it, there may be some reserve space in the battery that charges for a good reason before it starts up --perhaps to ensure there's enough battery left to ensure an orderly shutdown when the battery is about done and your not near a charger, or forgot about it like we did.

The feel of the interface is generally good. Swiping is nice. I installed Chrome since that's what we were using on other devices, but it really didn't work as well on Windows 81. as it does on Mac or Windows 7. My feeling is Google is not wholeheartedly supporting Windows 8.1 --no point in helping Microsoft get a tablet adopted among Google's browser users. Internet Explorer is fine however, it's a fast browser and pretty snappy experience to use. It does take some getting used to, instead of ever-present tabs, it's full screen web browsing and you access open "tabs" with a flick up from the bottom of the screen. Full screen browsing by default is interesting. Again if you're only using this device, you'll likely expect that, my feeling is it's a good experience on a touch based device like this.

Office came preinstalled, as a trial. Office is now downloaded only I believe --good as their is no optical drive on the device, and you really don't need it anymore. Broadband has effectively killed external media at large. Office is good. A bit different in the all touch interface. I used an early version of the Cloud based Microsoft Project and it was pretty bad --they released it way too early. The core Office product at this point is pretty good. I'm guessing they are going to keep refining it as they get more and more Surface users. Supposedly they sold almost a billion dollars of Surfaces in 2013 so that trend may accelerate.

The number one reason I bought my wife a Surface was she had an app that she needed for school that she couldn't run on her MacBook Air (which I got her the prior year for Christmas). She installed it on Windows 8.1 rather quickly. While the vendor did not have a Windows 8.1 or touch specific version yet --they showed clearly on their website they were supporting Windows 8.1 --which is another way of saying that your "old" Windows 7 apps work on the Surface and with 8.1.

The Surface runs updates frequently and keeps itself current. I believe we set it to do that automatically, which in general is a good idea. This Surface came with 8.1 installed which was a substantial improvement over Windows 8. The rumors that Windows 8 shipped incomplete are probably true. This device like took a hit in the court of public opinion --which was also probably muted due to low sales of the device on the first release. I almost never use my Surface RT version 1 anymore after using the Surface Pro 2 --it's a huge leap forward --and granted it's a lot more money.

The Stylus
--------------
Our first reaction was to ignore the Stylus. I've had phones that have them and found them all to be a waste. My current Galaxy Note 2 has one and software to go with it and I don't. No utility at all.

The Surface Pro 2 Stylus and character recognition software however simply works. I was surprised to see how well. My handwriting is pretty bad after so many years of touch typing and a very digital career, but the stylus is a 10. If or when I get a Surface tablet (Surface 3?) for work --and It looks like I would-- I can see myself using it to take notes in meetings. Right now for me personally, I don't use it much because I don't need to --I type relatively well.

The Stylus attaches magnetically to the power port on the device. This isn't brilliant per se. When you leave the device there is no way to keep the Stylus with it when it's charging --since the power cord is attached.

The Power Cord
----------------------
The power cord even looks cool and is made of a very flexible rubbery material. More like a mac, but I think better. The cord is a soft matte black. It looks good and matches the device aesthetically very nicely. The magnetic connector is great --a nod to Apple's Mag Safe connector. It has a little light integrated into the tip that shows it's charging. To attach the cord you only have to touch it to it. It snaps in magnetically pretty reliably. My Surface RT didn't do that so nicely at all --but they got it right on this version.

App Store, Music
-----------------------
There aren't as many apps on the Microsoft App store, but they have all the big ones that "everyone" uses: Facebook, Twitter, etc. There are some really good games. I'm not much of a gamer per se, but our kids love them. There is a race car game that really shows the speed, screen quality and power of the device. The call it Xbox Games as there is apparently some connection between the Surface and the Xbox is you have one. I'd have to guess they are going to continue to drive hard at making those connections more valuable over time --though we don't have an Xbox today.

Xbox Music is neat --free streaming music and you can pick songs. The interface is really attractive. They are clearly motivated by iTunes dominance to make it work well, and it does. You can import your music from the device into the Xbox Music cloud.

Ports
-------
Having a USB port is very big deal for a laptop type device. My wife plugged in her inkjet printer and it just worked. That was very important for her as a teacher. She also has a wireless USB mouse she liked more than the Magic Mouse with her Mac, and plugged that in, also worked effortlessly. A "tablet" with a mouse is nicer than you might think. I like using the mouse with it, though I notice certain things I "naturally" reach up and use the touch screen. The work together well on the device --which was unexpected as well, and probably a consideration.

My wife is one to get bored with devices (laptops, tablets) but she seems to always be on her Surface Pro 2. Microsoft produced a device you can buy and appreciate here after stumbling badly with the original RT device I bought.

I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a new laptop, or a new tablet. If you use Office heavily, it's a no brainer --but interestingly enough, if you aren't a heavy office user it's still pretty great. If you like to use a tablet more recreationally, as we do, it's at least as engaging and useful as the iPad --the proof is we have 2 iPads, and virtually never use them anymore. I think that could be a big statement in itself it does render the iPad a little "obsolete" in our household we gave them to our young kids.

5 stars for the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and Type 2 Keyboard.

Length:: 7:50 Mins

I bought this from MicrosoftStore.com with a 10% student discount.

IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?

Who is it for?

Who should buy something else?

Sorry for all that information LET'S GET TO WHAT MATTERS:
Pros:
- Touch/Pen - The touch with finger and pen works perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 2-in-1 device, December 12, 2013
I bought the 256GB, 8GB RAM version of the Surface Pro 2 from the Microsoft store last month and so far I like it a lot. Before I go into the pros and cons, I think it's important that I tell you a little bit more about what type of user I am and what I do with the surface pro 2.

I'm a PC guy, have never bought or owned an Apple product and don't think I'll ever. To me, Mac OS X is an horrible OS and I can't really work with it. I have linux (usually Ubuntu or a version of it) installed on most of my computers (not on the surface pro 2, not yet). So I guess my experience and review will be more useful to PC users. I'm a gamer, but not on PC (I have consoles for that). I've had every single version of Windows and I never had any major problems, either with viruses or bugs.

I use the surface pro 2 two ways: on the go, as a tablet/laptop with the touchcover, and at home I have it connected to a 23in LED display, with wireless keyboard and mouse. Therefore, when I'm at home, the surface pro 2 is used to power the PC and as a second screen. I haven't bought a docking station yet, but I'll probably soon (not the one from Microsoft though as it's too expensive and lack some key features. I'll take the Pluggable one -look it up here on Amazon).

Pros:

- Power and performance: this thing just flies. I upgraded from a first gen Intel core I-3 (an Asus computer) and I can definitely see the difference. I can run Matlab, Stata, Excel and a couple of apps and it never slows down. And thanks to the 8GB of RAM, I usually never use more than 6GB at the max. But honestly, I believe any modern ultrabook with a Haswell Intel core I-5 will have great performances along with good battery life (it doesn't compare to the crazy Macbook Air (2013) but it will easily last 6-7 hours which is enough for me).

- Screen: it might not have the highest PPI or whatever, but the display provides a really good, crisp picture with rich colors. It's LED, so the blacks aren't as deep as on my plasma tv, but movies still look good. Text looks sharp. The display is very reflective but the brightness is high enough to compensate, although I guess using it outside in direct sunlight might be a problem.

- Windows 8.1: now, I understand that it doesn't have to do only with the surface pro 2, but using Windows 8.1 on this machine is really nice. I know Win 8 received a lot of critiscism and actually, the first time I installed it on my previous computer, I hated it. But now that I'm used to it and that I have a touch screen, I have to admit it's a really good operating system. The desktop is simply Windows 7 upgraded (I really don't miss the start menu personnally) and it's nice to have the option to run apps. It's especially important if you are on the go as it makes this a true 2-in-1 device: a powerful second screen/laptop at home and a nice tablet when I simply want to check facebook, flipboard or twitter. I own multiple Android phones and tablets, and while the apps selection is limited on Windows 8.1, I have to say that this OS works quite well on a tablet. Being able to run 2 apps side by side is awesome and the charm bar really helps. As I've said, I understand that some might think it has nothing to do with a review about the hardware, but I truly believe that the Surface pro 2 is simply Microsoft's vision of the future. So the hardware works with the software. Personnally, I'm in the desktop 90% of the time but I use the surface as a second monitor where I have apps open (Mail, twitter, etc).
Also, still on the software side, you have the pure Windows experience, no bloatware or any stupid thing installed by the manufacturer. And since Microsoft makes the hardware, you get firmware updates without having to run a separate update checker as you'd have to with Asus or another brand. Overall, it's a little bit like getting the Apple experience but with a PC.

- The stylus: it's really just so precise, it's crazy. Used with OneNote, it's like writing on paper. It just doesn't compare to any Ipad or Android tablet, except for the Galaxy Note line.

- Build quality: It's an heavy tablet, but god it feels good. As a PC user, I usually don't care much about how it feels or look, but I have to admit that the surface pro 2 is really nice. As I've said, it's a little heavy but given that there is a kickstand, it's very usable. It's actually better than my normal Android tablet (who weighs half) since you can just rest the tablet on your lap or the table. Also a sign of good build quality, the speakers are surprisingly good and loud. I was very impressed by that.

Cons:

- My device worked well for a week and then, one day, just wouldn't turn on. I went back to the Microsoft store, they checked it, reinstalled everything and now it's okay. At first, I wasn't very happy. I actually asked for an exchange as I didn't want to take the chance to have a non-working computer again, but they were out of stock. So I took it back and so far so good (it has been 3 weeks now I think). I don't know what the problem was, but when the tablet was coming back from sleep, I usually had an error message telling me that some driver stopped working. Since they reinstalled everything, I haven't had this message. So I guess they did fix it. Still, another person got the same problem here on Amazon, and this is preventing me from giving 5 stars.

- Price: I really wanted/needed 8GB. And the only way to get that is by buying the 256GB version. I'd have been fine with 128GB (we have so much cloud storage nowadays anyway). Original price is thus $1299, before taxes. And it doesn't include the keyboard! To me, Microsoft should include the touchcover with every version of the surface pro, it just doesn't make sense they don't do that. Fortunately for me, I got a sweet deal since it was the opening day of the Microsoft store here in Vancouver (Metrotown if you know). Not only were they giving the keyboard (the first gen of the touchcover, not the typecover or the 2nd generation) AND there was 10% off. All in all, given the 12% sale tax in Canada, I saved almost $300. At $1300 with taxes and with the keyboard, this is acceptable (it's pretty much the same price as another high-end ultrabook). At the original price, I wouldn't have bought it. I compeltely understand paying a little bit more than a ultrabook (such as the Lenovo Yoga pad pro 2) given the tablet form factor and the stylus with active digitizer, but not $300 more. Again Microsoft, bundle the keyboard! You can't advertize the device as a laptop replacement with a keyboard and charge $120 for it.

- When connected to a second monitor, you can't set two different DPI. You can only set two different resolutions. So when my surface pro 2 is connected and used as a second monitor, text can appear quite small on the surface screen (or then, I have to make everything look big on my 23in monitor). It'd be nice to have the option to set different DPI for every screen. Or possible, different DPI depending on whether the tablet is connected to another monitor or not. This issue is a Windows 8.1 one though, not a surface pro 2 specific one. Also, while Windows 8.1 deals with high resolution displays better than other versions of Windows, it's still not perfect. Some apps or programs are either too small or blurry (Chrome is an example of that for instance).

Pro/Con:
- I have the first gen touchcover. it worked relatively well and it protects the screen when I'M taking the surface pro 2 on the go, but if you intend on typing a long research paper, you'll need an external keyboard.

In conclusion, I really consider the surface pro 2 as an awesome computer and very good tablet. For me, it's a perfect 2-in-1 device (I actually gave away my Android tablet since then, I have a Nexus 4 anyway). But I think it might not be for everyone though. In particular, if you never connect it to a second monitor or docking station, you'll likely find the keyboard and screen too small and you should probably go with another ultrabook. Also, the official price is just too high and it's a shame the keyboard isn't included. If you can find a deal like me, go for it. Otherwise, I could see better options out there. But none if you really need the features of this device (Sony and Dell each have a surface pro 2 competitor, but they don't seem to be as good and/or they cost pretty much the same price anyway).

***EDIT January 30th 2014***

I thought I'd do an edit/update of my review. Here are some worthwhile points after 2-3 months of usage.

1) I bought the Plugable UD3900 docking station. Cheaper than the Microsoft one and better (and re-usable with any computer with a USB port). It's really fantastic. Now, when I come back from work, I simply connect the usb 3.0 cable and it turns my tablet into a desktop with a lot of usb ports, ethernet, etc. It's particularly useful to get ethernet as the wifi on the Surface Pro 2 seems a little bit slow (others have noticed it as well). I definitely recommend buying this product. And the customer service is just awesome (I had a problem with my mouse and they replied in like 5 hours).

2) The December 10th (firmware) update was a giant mess by Microsoft. I was unfortunate enough to install it and then my Surface Pro would wake up randomly after 1 hour (when in sleep mode) and drain the battery. MS pulled the update after a couple of days, but for people like me, it was too late. The good news is that the January update finally solved the issue. It took MS more than a month to fix a very serious issue though (I had to turn off the tablet completely. Good thing the Surface Pro can boot up in like 7 seconds. I'll not change my rating of 4 stars but the 5 stars is definitely not an option. MS was not communicating much about this issue (except saying a fix was coming...) and quite frankly, such a problem shouldn't happen when the same company makes the hardware and the software. Let's hope the issues are behind me now.

3) I actually found a way to have different DPI on different screens. Windows 8.1 is much better at this that Windows 7 or even 8. In the display settings, if you uncheck the "let me choose one scaling factor for all my displays", then Windows can scale differently depending on the size and resolution of the various screens. For me, it means the Surface pro displays at 100% scaling on my 23 in full HD monitor, but scales everything at 150% on the tablet as to make things (text, icons, etc) bigger. It works very well except for one issue: Windows doesn't actually truly scale differently. What it seems to do is take the main monitor when you sign in and set the scaling based on this monitor (so if I sign up on the tablet only, Windows will scale at 150% by default). If you then connect another screen, Windows will resize (NOT re-scale) everything on this second monitor. So for instance, when my tablet is connected to my 23 in monitor, Windows sets the scaling at 100%. And when I display something on the tablet, Windows will resize at 150%. It sounds good but by not actually rescaling but simply resizing, it means the secondary monitor is a little bit blurry (it literally streches the windows and text for instance, you can observe the re-sizing when moving a window from one monitor to the other). It's not a problem for the Metro app but it definitely is one for the desktop. If you want to re-set the scaling factor, you need to log out and log in (so if I unpluf my Surface to go somewhere, I need to log out to make sure evrything looks crips on the tablet only). Not the biggest issue and it's definitely better than before, but still not perfect. Oh, and Chrome still doesn't scale well, but this is Google's fault and not MS.

Overall, I'm still happy with my purchase even though the December update was puzzling for me. Beside this issue, the Surface Pro 2 is still the best option if you want a 2-in-1 device. I still see that as the future of computing. Hopefully MS won't release another faulty update in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Surface pro 2 and have no regrets, November 17, 2013
Great product. I was able to get my 256gb version at the Microsoft store. If you call the store they will normally contact you when they get them in and hold you one. I was lucky to get mine and after tons of research and even after the sale, I am VERY happy. I don't think you can find a PC with this much power in such a small package. I was disappointed to see negative reviews of the vendor pricing bringing down the stars of the product. I wanted a mix between tablet and laptop and got exactly that. If I had to do it over, I might not even purchased a keyboard. I would tell you unless you do a lot of typing the screen keyboard is fine. The add on keyboard is nice but adds to the size and I don't feel like it will hold up over time. The 256gb version also adds more RAM and that is the main reason I moved up to the larger model. I have a Sony Viao and a Samsung tablet and I haven't used either unit since getting my surface pro 2. My real world battery life is about 7 hours of constant use. I added the Armorsuit screen protector and carbon fiber backing. I would highly recommend this screen protector for your unit. It is made in the USA and is the best of the three I have tried. The pen is hard to keep up with and $30 if you need to buy another. I rarely use the pen. I am not into drawing and don't find that I need it for daily use of my Surface. It might cost a bit more than some other options but there isn't anything like it. I love mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet with substandard accessory issues and support., November 8, 2013
I have owned the Surface Pro 2 for about a week now, and so far I am generally happy with the tablet itself. Unfortunately, this is hurt by general accessory and support issues.

SUMMARY
The tablet portion itself works great in pretty much every regard, has decent battery life, and is well designed (Outside of the pen dock being the power connection as well).

The accessories are less spectacular though. The keys get stuck on the type keyboard, and the mouse is uncomfortable to use for long periods (Just plan to get a bluetooth mouse). The docking station is hard to find. Customer service from the Microsoft store is less than stellar at times as well.

PROS
* It runs very smoothly even when doing more complicated things like excel spreadsheets with heavy duty calculations.

* The screen looks great and doesn't have any crazy discoloration issues like the Yoga 2 and Samsung ultrabooks. The 1080p screen is just fine for the size as well.

* Windows 8.1 is significantly better than 8.0. Changing device settings is noticeably easier, the included mail/calendar type apps are much better now, and the general flow of its usage feels good to me. Although, I'm sure this is a matter of taste.

* The pen works really well for the most part. My wife owns a galaxy note 8" as well, and the Surface's pen feels better in your hands and has a built in eraser. There are some issues, but I'll talk about them in the cons. Touch input is smooth as well.

* It's really well made. I've used a ton of laptops and none of them have felt this sturdy. Sure, some of the talk about how everything sounds like a luxury car is fairly ridiculous, but not a single thing feels flimsy or easily breakable like the 8" note or something.

* I know that others have commented on the weight, but this is really a matter of interpretation. I still use my ipad if I need to travel really light and need a longer battery life, but if I need something for any sort of productivity work then the Surface has definitely become my go to system. In this sense I expect it to be a bit heftier because it does so much more. I found that flipping out the stand while you hold it makes it much easier to hold as well.

* You aren't going to get 12 hours of battery life out of this, but you will get 6-7 if you use it like I do. I'm very happy with that.

CONS
* The keyboard is terrible. After only a week the keys have started sticking on me, and more than a few times I have found myself hitting multiple keys to figure out which it is. Even stranger is that sometimes it will just stop responding at all until you find the stuck key.

Also, the touch mouse is just a pain to use. It will randomly stop doing two finger scrolling, but if you barely touch the thing it will start randomly clicking things. This gets annoying when you are using the pen or something and suddenly it jumps to another program. If I use it a lot it rubs my finger raw as well since it isn't smooth. I ended up buying an arc mouse.
The worst is that there is no keyboard support at all when trying to get into safe mode. A work program I installed crashed Windows, and when I got to the screen where you choose what type of safe mode you wanted to enter I couldn't choose a number. That was with a usb keyboard and the surface one.

* The pen should have it's own dock. End of story. It is ridiculous that it uses the same spot as the power cord connector. So, anytime your computer is plugged in you need to find a place to store the pen if you aren't using it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this results in losing/misplacing the pen eventually.

Also, it doesn't always do a good job of turning off touch input when you use the pen. This get's pretty annoying at times when you are writing something and suddenly the pen stops working. Then when you lift your hand your palm drew something.

* I want the docking station for work, but it is impossible to find unless you want to spend $300+ on ebay. I would be okay with waiting, but Microsoft's policy on the dock is ridiculous. I called my local store to ask if they had any, and they will not tell you if they have them in stock or not. You have to drive to the store to find out if they have them at all. I was told that they do this because they cannot guarantee that it will be there because it sells out so quickly, but if your system says you have zero docks then there is absolutely no reason to make me waste my time driving there. I drove to the store and found out that they hadn't had them for over a week. Terrible customer service.

HOW I USE
* Significant MS Office usage including VB excel development.
* Web design (Coding using Sublime Text mostly. I haven't tried photoshop or anything on it.)
* Remote server administration (Putty, mySQL tools, etc.)
* General computer use (Web, e-mail, twitter, etc.)
* Taking notes for my night class (Onenote is amazing on windows with pen input and a rear camera. The surface does not disappoint).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great multi-purpose PC, December 23, 2013
chriek (Huntsville, AL, USA) - See all my reviews
The Surface Pro 2 has literally replaced my desktop PC, my laptop AND my tablet. I use it with a Microsoft docking station, and it has no trouble driving a 27" 2560x1440 display through DisplayPort. The tablet display is excellent as well, as is the stylus. It's a bit clunky and heavy for a 10" tablet (compared to, say, the Nexus-10 Android tablet), but I'm happy to excuse it because of the excellent performance.

I do agree with those who say this should be priced at $1800 for the 512GB version, because that's what the Microsoft Store charges. (That's where I got mine.) I'm not going to mark down for it because I think product reviews should be about the product, not Amazon's pricing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started great, ended with a whimper!, November 22, 2013
I got my Surface Pro 2 on Oct 29th (8gb, 256gb version) and it worked very well until Nov 17th. I gave it a 4 star rating based on my initial experience just in the first 24 hours. This is an updated review based on two things: (1) The device failed to power on and went dead. I took it to the Microsoft Store and the technician wasn't able to do anything with it either. The technician also said he did not have a device to replace my failed one and that Microsoft's focus was to use their inventory to sell new devices and not for replacing failed devices under warranty!! The hardware looked like it needed better QA before someone shipped it away to customers. (2) I filed an advance replacement warranty complaint on Nov 17th and I got an "automated" email from Microsoft that they would ship a new device and details would come within 24-48 hours. Four days later, no signs of any email, or any device, and the status of my service request online still shows "in process". To say the least, I'm very disappointed at the poor quality of the device which was only matched my the even poorer response (or lack thereof) to the quality problem. But as a concept, I do still believe it's a device with great promise. Just poor execution.

Just when I thought it could not get worse - as I tried to have someone from customer service help me - that didn't work either. After some initial struggle to find an English speaking representative, I had to give up since all the rep could do was read the status of the service order from the Web site.

Note: I bought the Surface Pro 2 directly from the Microsoft store online and had posted a review with 4 stars with the initial performance, and posted the second review (above) with a single star. Microsoft "moderated" the second review and did not publish it. Not surprisingly, the reviews on Microsoft's Web site are heavily positive since Microsoft does not publish most of the reviews that rate them poorly.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best gadget I've ever owned!, January 28, 2014
I bought mine off the Microsoft site, and this definitely has the "cool factor". At this size and weight, it's almost like carrying around a tablet, but you get a full-fledged powerhouse computer! When people see it in it's sleeve (bought separately), they think it's a book. They're stunned when I open it up and reveal a full computer. I actually love Windows 8.1. You can use it in desktop mode, which we're all familiar with, or tile mode, which is really cool for easy access to all your apps. I find the desktop is what I use for serious work and the tiles are what I use for leisure and fun. And with the touchscreen, I don't even need a mouse. I hardly use the trackpad either. I just tap the screen to point the cursor or swipe to scroll. All I need is the keyboard and touchscreen for all the various movements. I don't need a tablet anymore. Why carry around a tablet with limited functions when this is just as portable and can do everything! So why four stars? Because of its size, my eyes get tired of the small print after awhile. If you have perfect vision, this could replace your regular laptop. I have mine next to me all the time so if I want to do something quick, it's so convenient to pick up and use. But for long periods, I need a larger screen. I almost forgot to mention the battery life is also excellent.

Surface Pro 2 - 128GB Desktop Tablet, by Microsoft 6"
$1,299.99 $860.99