5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, well-organized and FUN!
What fun! A friend gave me this book when he heard I was going to try surfing on a recent trip to Hawai'i. It was indespensible! I took a lesson, and though the instructors were great, they couldn't possibly pack in as much information as Robison's book does.
Published on June 17, 2010 by Violet

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - basic - states the obvious
This book is well put together. It seems to be thorough on a very basic level. Feels padded by the inclusion of overly obvious stuff, like not counting on the lifeguard or your buddy to save you if you get in trouble. (Isn't most of life like this?) I think that maybe it would be more useful to encourage people to observe and think, instead of trying to spoon-feed...
Published 19 months ago by Mags

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, well-organized and FUN!, June 17, 2010
This review is from: Surfing Illustrated: A Visual Guide to Wave Riding (Paperback)
While there is a ton of information here, it's easy to find and digest: the book is well-organized and easy to read. The cartoons are charming and funny, but also do a great job of illustrating surfing concepts (we're all visual people, right?). The author explains everything from wave physics to surfing etiquette (and of course how to surf). His clever drawings and witty sense of humor kept me turning the pages. Even if you're not about to hit the waves, it's a fun and interesting read.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A surfer's how-to with plenty of humor, June 27, 2010
John Robison has a way with pictures. When I read his sea kayaking book I was the perfect audience, an inexperienced sea kayaker in need of tips about tie downs and peeing while on the water. But Surfing Illustrated is different. I've been surfing for nearly 15 years and figured that although I'm no expert, I know pretty much all I need to know. Well maybe I do know all I need to know but I had no idea how much I wanted to know.

Surfing is a physical sport, so is waxing a board and tying on a leash. Text with photographs simply doesn't bring these basics home the way text and drawings do: step-by-step. And while Robison has a knack for blending humor into his teaching, it's clear after even a brief perusal, this guy knows a lot about the ocean, surfboards, and surfing. And I'm talking not just about wave riding and stoke, it's about being safe in the water, understanding tides and their effect on your local break, and yes, noseriding and pretty much everything else you can imagine on a surfboard.

Of all the surf how-to books I've seen, Robison's is by far the most accessible. It's simple but has enough to keep even experts interested. And for all you beginners out there dreaming of catching your first wave, this is the book that will get you there. From figuring out where to surf to managing yourself in the lineup to getting your first ride, it's all packed in with ample humor to keep you interested and to keep the sport fun, the way it's supposed to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems cheezy at first... but really has a lot of great information, June 3, 2013
This book seemed a little cheezy at first with the corny illustrations. I think when you buy a surfing book, you want a lot of awesome photography of surfers, surfboards and beaches.

Not this one.

What is DOES have though is a lot of really valuable information. Page after page. Some of it I'll go back to later because it does get pretty detailed, especially with weather, currents etc..

Do buy this book if you're a beginner or novice surfer looking for something to read in between learning.. I think you'll get something out of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome guide for a beginner, June 4, 2014
JRRivera (ORLANDO, FL, US) - See all my reviews
Just started surfing and picked this up to understand some of the science that goes with the sport. The illustrations are helpful and it's easy to read. Definitely recommend it if you're just starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners. Fun read even if you're a pro. Get the Hardcopy., May 22, 2014
I found this book to be very fun - the artwork is whimsical but also informative. I'm not sure why I bought this book. I think I wanted to get back into surfing and wanted a little refresher course to get me stoked. It did! But it also made me realize how great this is for a beginner who knows NOTHING about surfing. Mr. Robison walks you through the entire experience, from getting the right board, and proper wave etiquette (which can be mental hurdle for first time surfers), and most importantly: safety! He drills the idea of Rip Currents and how to avoid them, knowing your limits and most importantly have fun!

A great, quick read - I bought the kindle version and I wish I hadn't now as I'd love to have the book to loan to people.

If you are thinking of getting into surfing - get this book - but get the physical hard copy. That way you can read it on the beach and drip some surf wax on it while you get yourself pumped up to paddle out!

Great job John Robison! You're keeping people safe while teaching respect in the water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Summary and basic tips, April 16, 2014
Simple and easy to follow. A must for beginners and a great review for intermidiates. It is not a detailed reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for beginners, March 4, 2014
I took this book on a recent trip to Hawaii and found it extremely helpful on my first-ever surf outings. I have a background in kayak surfing on whitewater rivers that gave me a solid head start on understanding wave dynamics, but in addition to explaining that daunting concept Robison packs so much more into this book. From the intimidating social dynamics of figuring out the surfing world's pecking order to basic technique and safety, this book delivers in a fun, funny and informative way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tips, October 8, 2013
I trully loved this book. It contains exactly what I was looking for about learning how to surf. Very illustrative and easy to understand

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for beginners, August 29, 2013
The book was surprisingly much longer than I thought. It is filled with a lot of good illustrations and knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, April 24, 2013
This is a good basic surf book. It's an easy and quick read with plenty of illustrations. Also, the book is well organized, which is good compared to a lot of other surf basic books that just ramble on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Surfing Illustrated: A Visual Guide to Wave Riding
Surfing Illustrated: A Visual Guide to Wave Riding by John Robison (Paperback - April 16, 2010)
$16.95 $14.35