4.0 out of 5 stars Pimpin' ain't easy...
But Surgical Recall makes it easier. Basically, people get Recall for two reasons: 1) they're not interested in surgery but have to rotate and do well in it or 2) they're genuinely interested in surgery.

Published on July 28, 2006 by 46&2

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for wards - not so good for shelf
The information is in a Q&A form so you can study on the go. It does provide pearls for when you're on service - such as what are the lines of tolte? Would use to prepare for wards - before a surgery but not for the shelf. The information isn't detailed enough to explain certain concepts to you.
Published on July 6, 2011 by Grace Chang

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pimpin' ain't easy..., July 28, 2006
46&2 (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)

For med students just needing to get by, this partly meets your needs. This is not a text. The short Q&A format does not lend itself to thorough reading, it does not necessarliy flow, and it's not always easy to correlate concepts. It's good for reading before an operation for when the surgeon asks you questions ('pimping'). It's effective for a cram session before an exam/quiz as it addresses common issues. Reading Recall straight through, however, is not easy due to the format and length (800 pages). If you like flash-card style presentations, then Recall is great. If you don't, consider First Aid for Surgery, Surgery Secrets, or Lawrence's Essentials (I personally can't stand Lawrence).

For those looking into surgery, this book represents the fundamentals you NEED to know cold. The Q&A format basically simulates an attending or chief quizzing you during rounds or conference. The max amount of potassium you can give through a central line? It's not a thrilling concept, but it's something you'll ask yourself as an intern, and if you don't, a higher level will do it for you. This book has saved my butt a number of times on a surgery rotation. Aside from the essentials of preop and postop care, Recall also has specific questions you might have during an operation. Once again, these are high yield. The keys to performing a cholecystectomy are dead on (*be warned, their definition of the cystic triangle is a little goofy- personally was burned on that). There's also a few pictures going over basic anatomy. This is also one of the few books aimed at students which goes over surgical instruments and technique.

Overall, a great buy if you're into surgery, but a questionable purchase if you don't like the format and aren't interested in surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the wards and the NBME shelf, September 8, 2006
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
This is a must have during surgery clerkships. It's broken down into concise chapters that can quickly be reviewed (5-10 minutes) before a case or a conference. For example, we had a right hepatic lobectomy case on a patient with hepatocellular carcinoma. I spent about 20 minutes in the physicians locker room reviewing the liver chapters before the case. In surgery, I was easily able to answer nearly all questions from the staff surgeon and the chief resident. Most pimp questions can be found in this book. This book definitely gives you an edge on the clerkship. It provides fast access to many pertinent concepts that you'll need day in and day out on the wards, in the SICU and in the OR. Many pocket textbooks are just dead weight in your coat. This one is actually very useful.

Also, recall is a good resource for studying for the Surgery Shelf exam. Much of the exam is medicine, not surgery. As a result, the basic reveiew of physiologic and IM concepts in recall were helpful in preparation for the shelf exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me stand out on the wards, May 31, 2007
Rachel (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
I decided to go into Family Medicine (surgeons have to be awake too early too often for my lazy butt). I completely enjoyed my surgery rotations in med school and my surgical training in residency so much more because of this little book. I even ended up buying the Advanced Surgical Recall and still remember those books with fondness. The info still comes in handy since I work in a rural area and see a wide variety of cases.

BUY THIS BOOK or at least borrow it from someone. It is invaluable, and I think every senior resident and attending gets their pimp questions directly from this book. You will be able to answer every question in surgery, and it makes the surgeries more interesting. You'll get a smidgen of respect from your upper levels and attendings. Let's face it, most med students in the OR are glorified retractors, attracting hostility from the surgeons and scrub nurses. So, if you can answer their best pimp questions, they might just let you assist in a more meaningful way during the surgeries. (That's what happened to me!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for surgical clerkships, January 10, 2007
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
Book contains the basic information necessary for a surgical clerkship. It reviews questions surgeons love to ask, contains information you need to know and basic anatomical pictures relating to general surgery. Small enough to fit in jacket pocket. Would highly recommend it-- a larger text may be helpful for more background info, but you probably wont have time to read anything like that anyway. Passed my surgical exam reading basically just this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this and read it and you will honor, October 31, 2007
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
Everyone talks about this book and the information in it is great and very relevant. Keep reading it and you'll do well on your shelfs, on the wards and whatever else. I used this as a third year and I just kept reading it until I had it almost memorized. The chiefs on my rotations were surprised the stuff I used to know from this book. By the way I got the advanced one too and not nearly as helpful as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars As essential for surgery as Netters is for Anatomy, March 25, 2006
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
This book is awesome. I did a hardcore surgery rotation in a major level 1 trauma center and this book practically matched nearly every question asked of me while on clerkship. Excellent for the shelf exam as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Grace for the student who is not inclined to enter surgery, February 17, 2009
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
This is a must-have guide for medical students on clinical rotations in surgery. There is often very little downtime between surgeries on surgical rotations. Surgery Recall is perfect, pocket-size and a quick review of anatomy and facts for surgery that students will need to refresh their memories and shine when being pimped in the OR leading to a solid evaluation.

That being said, this should not be used as a primary resource for studying for shelf exams- I found that a question bank and Case Files Surgery was the best preparation for the National Shelf Exam in Surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-HAVE, March 19, 2006
Carlie C. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
I have the previous edition and I used it everyday during my surgery clerkship, as well as my 4th year surgery electives. I wouldn't have gotten by very well without this in my pocket to read before going into the OR or before pimp rounds. I also would recommend the Advanced recall for those who are thinking about going into surgery (but it's not necessary for 3rd/4th year rotations). I would recommend getting your own so you can make notes in it. Money well spent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pocket guide I had during all my clerkships., April 1, 2008
R. Parvez (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
A MUST for the MSIII General Surgery rotation. I can remember reviewing the Lap Chole section just before I went into that surgery, and EVERY QUESTION the attending asked me were in the 2 pages I had just glanced over! Probably the single most useful pocket guide I had during my clerkships, and I didn't even apply into a surgery residency after medical school. A terrific book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for surgical rotations, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Surgical Recall (Recall Series) (Paperback)
I bought this book mid-way through my cardiothoracic surgery rotation, and man, I wish I would've bought this thing sooner. It has everything you need to know as a surgical student, including how to be a good student (Do's and Don'ts of surgery), algorithms for post-op surgical care (re: prophylaxis, infections, fever, tubes/drains, resp care, fluids, elytes, shock, etc) and other awesome tidbits and pearls, like suture material, needle types, instrument names, and anatomy. It is set up like a Q&A book, so it makes for easy reading in between cases, and it also breaks everything up into sections, which is super helpful. The largest portion of the book is understandably General surgery, but also has several sections dedicated to subspecialties. Seriously, this book is a must-have for surgical students.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Surgical Recall (Recall Series)
Surgical Recall (Recall Series) by Lorne H. Blackbourne MD FACS (Paperback - May 26, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01