Customer Discussions > Casablanca forum

Surprise! I'm still learning from Casablanca

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2006 8:06:42 AM PST
D. Ellis says:
I take this movie out once every two years and wonder if I my taste has moved on to more fantastic sites. To my delight this movie gets richer as the years go on. Thinking of wartime then and now, thinking of the personal struggle men have with sensitivity and toughness, the great songs, the friendship of Sam and Rick as equals, the lighthearted comedy in the midst of escaping the Nazis and lastly the beautiful compositions of the black and wide screenplays. The only regret is I want it in letterbox format. Love this movie!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2007 11:49:19 AM PST
takemehome says:
Casablanca was not filmed in widescreen. Until 1953's The Robe, although widescreen processes existed, it was very rarely used. But all video and DVD releases feature Casablanca in its intended theatrical aspect ratio.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 12:09:09 PM PST
Presbyteros says:
I emphatically agree. The last time I saw it, I was struck by how operatic it was. The scenes in the cafe are short, punchy little vignettes, the dance band plays, and there is a little interlude until the next scene. And the dance band arrangements are terrific! I always wondered if they were Max Steiner's work.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2008 5:33:10 PM PDT
Mark Tobak says:
Yes it is operatic but I don't know that opera informs its technique. Citizen Kane, which was released only two years earlier, was constructed, in Pauline Kael's phrase, in a series of "blackout" sketches strung together into a story, with similar lighting and "noir" touches. But there is so much to see in a Casablanca; it creates a world which we can endlessly revisit and reconstruct.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 12:11:59 PM PDT
Lon + says:
One thing confusing about movies of the 1940s. Some won Oscars, not for the year they were released but for the next year. (And I'm not talking about the fact that the Oscars are always presented the following year.) Casablanca was one of them. It was released in 1942. Yet it won the Best Picture Oscar for 1943 (presented in 1944).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 9:10:25 AM PDT
I think Casablanca is just so beautifully simple in plot, script and execution. Simple editing and camerawork. Punchy dialogue. A sparse plot which wastes no time on unnecessary details.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 9:05:50 AM PST
The acting is super but the actors had good material to work with. By some strange chance Casablanca turned out beautifully structured and excellently characterized. Maybe some guardian angel took a hand! But 70 years later many Americans still care about where the characters "came from"--from Carl the headwaiter through Victor the moral center of the plot--and what will happen to them "after" the movie ends. It gets better each time I see it.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:39:58 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
My favorite line is the one said by Captain Renaul. When Rick says, "And remember, this gun is pointing straight at your heart," the Captain replies, "That is my least vulnerable spot."
I never tire of watching this fim. I must have seen it close to fifty times for many reasons. But it wasn't after watching it, perhaps for the thirtieth time, that I noticed that Ilsa calls Sam "boy," which reminds one of Sam's true position in this film albeit that wasn't a major theme here. Yes, we see new things each time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Casablanca forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2006
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Casablanca [VHS]
Casablanca [VHS] by Humphrey Bogart (VHS Tape - 2001)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (2,142)