5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most famous contemporary photographers
Published on September 18, 2002 by Sarah M. Ransom

1.0 out of 5 stars Only a few good images...
Although this book contains a few great images (the Library, the Escalator, the Grave), the price of the book is definitely not worth it. I had seen Mutter's images on posters, and figured the rest of his images in this book would be just as intriguing. I was wrong. Most of his images in this book have little artistic value, and seem like cheap photographic gimics...
Published on February 6, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most famous contemporary photographers, September 18, 2002
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
While many people criticize Scott Mutter's work, there is a true meaning behind almost all of his pieces. People do not like his work because they do not understand it or the difficult tasks he completed to make these works. I recently attended a lecture given by Mr. Mutter where he explained the thought process behind most of his photographs. He is truly an artistic genius. For Example, in his piece the Grave there is a revolving door. While most people say that he is implying reincarnation, this is incorrect. If you look closely you can see another door behind it that is closed. He told us that with this piece he meant to say that we can try and try to find out what is behind that solid door (representing death), but we can never know until we have passed because the door is locked. Many of the images in the book are not finished. During his lecture, Mr. Mutter constantly told us that he was eventually going to go back to pieces and work on them more. I know that a lot of what I'm saying doesn't concern the book, but my point is that this man is a creative genius and his work is truly mesmerizing. This book will make you look twice at many of the pictures. And if you really try to think about the pieces and look at the detail in them, you can find deeper meanings in them. Do not pass this book by. There is a reason why so many of his pieces have been made into posters. It is because this man's work is unbelievably amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real art and much more than mere camera trickery, December 17, 2001
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
Photo montage is not an art form that I was familiar with prior to receiving this collection as a gift. Having studied this book, it seems to me that photo montage, unlike painting, straight photography or other visual arts, has a quality of novelty about it that would make it easy for the snobbish to disregard the form as a lesser artistic effort.
Well, I am not a snob and for me the novelty of Mr. Mutter's work has not worn off. I must say that not all of the images in this book "work" for me (hence four stars). Those that do, however, impact me at a level that is profound and just as deep as any painting, poem or movie has ever touched. In particular I am thinking of the grave with the revolving door, the trees growing from the parquet floor, the swan swimming atop a marble floor and the house residing in a copse of trees from which a dark and monolithic statue arises. All of the images in this book are black and white, which somehow lends each one a certain quality of veracity. It is really pointless, however, to describe these images as they must be seen to be appreciated.
So let us describe the book itself. A true coffee table edition, it is oversized just enough to allow each image a full page to itself (and sometimes more). The last few pages of the book are comprised of notes (listed by numbers which correspond to each picture) from the artist regarding the inspiration, execution and intent of each piece. This text is generally illuminating but occasionally sparse - as with the aforementioned grave image.
A great book on the whole that should prove inspiring, intriguing and entertaining for anyone with a sense of wonder and imagination

4.0 out of 5 stars Surrational Reaction, April 21, 1999
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
I personally think this book is clever and extreamly creative as a collection of work that re-looks at a form of photography that almost died. The fact that these are photograph montages and done with an amazing amount of skill blows me away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, December 19, 1999
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
Scott Mutter's collection has motivated me to evaluate our culture. Postmodernism and The Ecclectic have really become essential to the way that our society, as a whole, thinks. Sometimes I sit and stare at his work and try to understand. They are so odd. What does he mean? What do the photographs mean? Because this body of work has helped me to think, I rate it very highly. It has been the beginning of many meaningful and intelligent discussions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, yet a mystery., December 29, 1996
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
Mutter is amazing. His work is intriguing, yet soothing to look at. I encourage everyone to buy this book. It left me with a feeling of sheer excitement. Thank you, Scott Mutter for allowing me to truly see what my eyes would merely glance at

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a delight to the eye and the mind., October 28, 1996
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
The surrational photomontages of Scott Mutter are extraordinary.
They stir the both emotions and the imagination. Any fans of photography
or surrealism must add this to their collection. It is one
of the few books that I have come across that the majority
of my colleagues enjoy. In fact I have yet to meet anyone who
doesn't react in a positive manner to these images. This
collection stirs the imagination as well as the best novel
I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scot Mutter Surrational Images: review, May 22, 2014
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
I know it is great that Scott Mutter's images have been preserved in this wonderfully complied book.
I had been a great fan of Scott Mutter's work. I still have his 2006 Calendar. I'm in school for photography
and patterned one of my Assignments after his work, only in digital color. I recommend this book to all
who have a passion for photography and photo manipulation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clever, January 9, 2014
Aunt Cassie (Toledo, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
Scott Mutter was a creative genius. His images are intriguing.
His craftsmanship flawless. I was awed the first time I saw this book.
Every time I look at it I find more to appreciate. Very thought provoking.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Enjoy the Prints and Posters You will Enjoy the Tabletop Version, October 11, 2013
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
What I find most interesting about the book is how there are subtle differences in how the art presents in this volume versus other prints and the poster. It seems like the composition or expsoure differs, like on "The Escalator" for instance shown on the cover. These are photo montages designed to be viewed and pondered. One editorial choice I am not sure about is that the comments for all images are placed in the back like reference notes as opposed to near their respective images. Some of the images span both pages, so it does make sense from a consistency standpoint and prevents words from being superimposed over the imagery. I bought this initially because I wanted smaller versions of the posters I could display in a limited space, but found myself buying another that I could keep around as a book. If you have an interest in the thought process or interpretation of the work by the artist, then you will enjoy the comments section. Would recommend for a fan of Scott Mutter's work, or anyone in need of a conversation starter for their occsional table which doesn't require a person to read to enjoy the material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important work and important ideas, November 19, 2014
Joseph Wanka (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES (Hardcover)
Excellent representation of Scott's work. His ideas and photomontages speak for themselves....before photoshop and digital trickery. This is important work and should be understood on its own terms and not in comparison with anything else. Overall the transaction was pretty smooth although the shipping was a tad on the slow side.

Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES
Surrational Images: PHOTOMONTAGES by Scott Mutter (Hardcover - October 1, 1992)
$36.95 $30.84