4.0 out of 5 stars Great summer read
This is the first book I've read by Meg Wolitzer, and overall, I enjoyed it. The plot brings three just-turned-thirty friends into close and prolonged contact with the 50-something mother of their recently deceased friend. Wolitzer is able to pull this off because she obviously likes all of her characters, their various flaws notwithstanding. She also has the type of...
Published on June 20, 2001 by pm444

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome tale of one-dimensional characters
As a fan of Meg Wolitzer, having loved her other works, I looked forward eagerly to SURRENDER,DOROTHY. Regretfully, I was disappointed. The book takes place over a period of one month, August, as a group of thirty-year-old friends gathers for their annual time in the Hamptons. Although Sara is a doctoral candidate in Japanese history at Columbia, Adam a playwright,...
Published on April 4, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars We aren't in Kansas anymore, August 16, 2001
E. Shulman (Rochester, New York USA) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed "Surrender Dorothy" very much. However, I would have loved to have know Sarah more before her accident. Her character was not fully developed. I liked her best male friend the best. I found the other characters self-absorbed and often annoying. The overall plot was interesting and often heart-wrenching. The author really made you think about your own mortality and how we can touch and be touched by others people's lives...and the affect we have on each other. Ms. Woltzer shows great insight into the human heart. "Surrender Dorothy" was a very quick read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing and Felt Real, July 11, 2008
This absorbing story felt real as I went along, reading it pretty quickly over the course of a few nights. Meg Wolitzer's writing is all-American, a reflection of life here and now. I love it. She's just deep enough to be very interesting, and literary enough to pull you along, but in this book, every word counts. If only every women's author these days was so spare and so talented! It was such a relief to pick up this meaty but relatively short book - 240 pages - after having to plow through big, fat, 500-page, comment-on-every-color-and-nuance-of-thought "women's literature" books for my book club!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Novel About the Loss of a Child, August 5, 2000
The novel is a wrenching page-turner about a woman's loss of an adult daughter and her subsequent attempts to cope and live. The author artfully describes experiences of the mother and the dead woman's friends as they provide each other with memories and support needed to adapt to the sudden death of a young woman whom they loved. It is the best book I have read all year!

4.0 out of 5 stars What happens, February 18, 2014
When the main character dies at the end of the first chapter? Quite a lot, and it's entertaining, funny and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give In To Wolitzer!, February 10, 2014
Discovered Wolitzer via The Interestings which deserves all the praise it is getting. How have I missed Wolitzer? She is a wonderful writer. Gritty,playful, socially on target, and a woman writer who just gets us men. I have enjoyed Surrender and all her previous novels!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was JUST OK, January 29, 2014
Meg Wolizer has been a favorite of mine for many years. Her last two books were terrific; however, there were several books she wrote during the early 2000's that have been really hard for me to finish. The characters never really come to life for me, and this is especially true in "Surrender, Dorothy." It took me weeks to finish this book; pick it up, get bored, put it down, pick it up again a few weeks later......for some reason I was determined to finish it, which I did. But, I never felt much of a relationship with anyone in this novel. Most of the characters seemed a bit whiney and the relationships that had taken place and that were formed were so predictable. Glad it's finished, but wouldn't really recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, June 14, 2013
I read this because I loved The Interestings. This was good but not in the same league.. But it was still a good read and about family function and dysfunction

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read!, June 5, 2013
Read this book in two nights. Very well written ofcourse by an amazing author. Life it just as much as THE INTERESTINGS and more than THE WIFE. This is a great novel about loss, moving through, and the changes of those left behind after a death of a loved one. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring,Boring,Boring,,,, April 6, 1999
By A Customer
How an author can create such great characters while writing a novel free from compelling circumstances is surprising. Ho hum, I can't believe she's dead, let's pour ourself another drink. I can't believe her mother showed up, ho-hum let's pour another drink and watch her clean the house. One big secret does surface, but it is rather mundane in it's telling. At the end everyone gets better, while the Mom who is easily the most exciting of the group, realizes life does go on after the loss of a child. Even if'ts is a miserable and shallow existence. Color this whole novel as grey and bland as a grief stricken day in the Hamptons. I was disappointed because I really looked forward to this book, and intead could barely muster the energy to finish it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Talent .... Bleak World, May 10, 2000
By A Customer
Ms. Wolitzer has so much talent. This book is very moving. SaraSwerdlow, who seemed to be the protagonist, is killed in the last lineof the first chapter. Her mother and her friends, who are actually at a Long Island summer house, grieve for the remainder of the book. Ms. Wolitzer has wit and the incidents she selects to write about are interesting and well done. The book is very sad. Ms. Wolitzer's view of life is so grim. Marriage stinks. Friends and children are dangerous. Joy fades quickly. The combination of wit and talent with this grim view is striking and odd. But the book is moving and I recommend it.

Surrender, Dorothy: A Novel
Surrender, Dorothy: A Novel by Meg Wolitzer (Paperback - July 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $1.94