5.0 out of 5 stars Best Investment book I've read in a long time
Published 22 months ago by Richard Earl Davenport

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even survive reading this book
Two disclaimers to start: I received a gratis copy of this book from the publisher for purposes of this review, and I did not finish reading this book (read 150 out of 232 pages).

Published 16 months ago by Eric C. Sedensky

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Investment book I've read in a long time, August 20, 2012
This review is from: Survival of the Fittest for Investors: Using Darwin’s Laws of Evolution to Build a Winning Portfolio (Hardcover)
This is the best Investment book I've read in a long time. I'm an amateur investor, with a B.S. Degree in Finance. I've been investing for over 35 years. This book explains a few good investing methods, explains them without a lot of advanced mathematics, and presents some very good long term strategies. He shows tables of results from the past 40 years, and proves his ideas out quite convincingly. I must read a dozen investment books a year, and Dick Stoken's are among the best. I've read some of his previous books "Strategic Investing timing in the 90's", and "The Great Cycle". They were both well thought out and researched. That's the major reason I decided to buy this most recent book of his. I plan on using the techniques in this book for some of my investing. The risk/reward ratios are too good to ignore. The process he uses is to find asset classes with negative correlation, and then employs trend following techniques to set his entry and exit points. So, you're 100% invested all the time, and in the most
promising asset class most of the time. He also employs the proper amount of leverage to increase returns without sacrificing safety. The major asset classes he pairs off are Gold, Treasury bonds, REITs, and the S&P 500.
He then rebalances the asset class portfolios annually.
It's the flip side of Warren Buffet who ignores timing and stays with 2 asset classes, Cash and Stocks using valuation ratios to 'time' his entries. Dick Stoken ignores the specific stock fundamentals, and uses trend timing to choose between large asset classes, using the long term price trends to 'time' his entries. When the stock market is trending down, Warren Buffet has to be patient and keep his powder dry. Dick Stoken instead, will be deploying his capital among the asset classes showing an uptrend. Using enough asset classes to keep the overall 'shifts' offset via negative correlation, keeps his total portfolio trending up most of the time. The "ACA" (Active Combined Asset) Leveraged
strategy he describes in the book shows a compounded return of 23% over 40 years, with the worst year only being down 8%. For anyone that has been investing for a long time, this is a fantastic track record.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even survive reading this book, February 17, 2013

When I first saw this book, I thought the author could definitely be on to something. I've always found Darwin's theories fascinating and personally, I don't think it is such a great leap of faith to extrapolate evolution and the concept of the strong surviving into the world of investments. (In fact, isn't that what companies and investing are all about?) Unfortunately, the author of this book fails rather miserably at bringing the two together.

The author is strong on making reasonable arguments for certain methodologies in investing. He backs them up with tons of data and charts, which is great. But this is a classic investment fallacy. Using past data to support investment strategy is a house of cards in a fan factory, and it will all get blown away eventually. Furthermore, I won't argue against anyone, including this book's author, who says the stock market is a living system and can be analyzed scientifically using biological theories and methodologies. I will argue, however, that diversification (of investments) is not the same as biological variation, and portfolio rebalancing is not the same as adaptation. Stretching the definitions gives you a good investment angle (maybe), but it won't necessarily make you money.

It is possible that had I stuck to reading this book to the end, I may have felt differently, but I got sol little out of the first two thirds of the book, I doubt the last third could possibly have rescued it. I like the author's idea, and I think he scores points for originality if not applicability, but this is not a particularly good book about investing and I can't recommend it to any except those really looking for something different who have already read more useful works, such as Benjamin Graham and the Power of Growth Stocks: Lost Growth Stock Strategies from the Father of Value Investings or The Trading Book: A Complete Solution to Mastering Technical Systems and Trading Psychology.

1.0 out of 5 stars Psuedo theory + back-tested algorithms do not add up to a book, not to say a good one, August 1, 2012
I really feel cheated by the author, who created such a brilliant title and wasted my time and money to read something so useless. (Luckily enough, I could run through it fast because I had read a lot on both evolution and trading before. You can check my previous reviews). The author simply wrote or copied a lot about the Evolution Theory to justify his back testing of historical data for the development of some algorithms that he claimed profitable. Dont be a fool like me. Invest your valuable time and money on some books else.

Survival of the Fittest for Investors:  Using Darwin’s Laws of Evolution to Build a Winning Portfolio
$28.00 $20.25