Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 9, 1997
It would be easy to bluntly horrify the reader in a book about life in a death camp, but Levi is not content to appeal to the emotions. He has an intellectual fascination with details, and the psychology of genocide. By a dispassionate and careful treatment of the very difficult material, he manages to write a compelling book about a terrible subject. And the emotional effect does not suffer from this approach--because Levi does not manipulate them, the reader's feelings are deeper and more lasting.
In one chapter, Levi describes how many of the prisoners, after fourteen hours of manual labor, would assemble in one corner of the camp in a market. They would trade rations and stolen goods. Levi describes how the market followed classical economic laws. Whenever I remember this I am freshly amazed at the resilience of life, and the ability of people to live and think and work in the most adverse conditions. It is remarkable that I finished a book about the Holocaust with a better opinion of mankind than I started with; I think the fact that the book affected me this way is the best recommendation
11 comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2002
I actually read this book over six years ago for a class I was taking on the Holocaust, I came upon this book on amazon while searching another and felt compelled to come in and put in my bit on it. Even after several years, the experience of reading this book is so deeply felt. If you want a vivid account on what it was like to be a Jew in Auschwitz, read this book. I won't go into a lot of detail, since it's been so long but what I remember most is: While reading it at one point I had to put the book down and remind myself..If I'm hungrey, I can just go to the fridge, If I'm thirsty, I can go to the kitchen for a glass of water, if I am cold, I can turn up the heat...and I felt I was living in pure luxury. In this book you learn that anything has value, a piece of paper can be stuck in your shoe to keep your feet warm, a button will serve some purpose, as will a piece of string. If you find anything, you pick it up. And at one point in the book as Primo Levi and other prisoners are standing near a barbed wire fence in the dead cold of winter he writes, (I am paraphasing) If at this time last year in this spot, any of us knew we'd be here through another winter, we would have touched the fence right then. But we don't, because of only one thing, hope.
33 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2011
This edition of Levi's book is an insult to the memory of a great writer. Not only is the translation inept, the editing sloppy (multiple typos), and the format kitschy, but--and this is unconscionable--the publishers have excised Levi's Introduction and his great poem which precede the text. This is a disgrace. Hayden White
1010 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2008
This book from bnpublishing contains serious multiple errors, sometimes five per page, that disrespect the author and the Holocaust and force the reader to stop and try to figure out the author's real meaning. Book is full of incorrect or missing punctuation (such as periods), words and names spelled different ways from one sentence to the next, random capitalization, run-on sentences, grammatical and spelling errors in English, French, and German. "Figfit" is not a word. Neither are "infaticable," "aroupd," or "mochery." The phrase is "flash of intuition," not "flask." The sign over every concentration camp was "Arbeit Macht Frei," not "Fret." You say, "avec moi," which means "with me," not "avec mot" which means "with word." Phrases like "there were no dark cold air had the smell" (p. 107) stop the reader dead. Very disrespectful of the author and the subject. Levi was a brilliant man with astounding powers of observation and recall for his hellish experiences. His words deserve to be preserved better than this.
88 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 1997
In a more perfect life, this book should be science fiction. Primo Levi deposits us in a world where the typical convivality that makes human society bearable has been eliminated and replaced by a horrible premise: humans may only live if they can do work useful to the state. "Survival in Auschwitz" plays the theme out. Those who are unable to work are immediately killed, using the most efficient means possible. Those who survive must find ways to maintain the illusion of usefulness with the least possible exertion. Instead of brotherhood, there is commerce, a black market where a stolen bar of soap is traded for a loaf of bread; the soap allows the owner to maintain a more healthy appearance while the bread feeds its owner for another day. We see property in its most base form. A spoon, a bowl, a few trinkets cleverly used, that is all a person can hold at a time. It's instructive to read this book as an insight into homelessness. What kind of place is this where we create humiliated zombies, shuffling behind their carts containing all their worldly possessions? How long can we let the State fight against the innate emotion that tells us that no-one should go hungry while we eat and no-one should be homeless while we have shelter?

What always amazes me about the Holocaust is the sheer improbability of the story of each of its survivors. This is the horror. For every shining genius of the stature of Primo Levi, there are thousands of other amazing people, gassed and murdered in the showers filled with Zyklon-B.
33 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2012
Survival in Auschwitz is, of course, a crucial work that does not require my praise in an Amazon review. This edition, however, is shamefully bad. From the obscene, exploitative cover photo to the misprintings and typos on nearly every page,everything about this "independently published" version is terrible. I cannot stress enough how wretched the ISBN 978-1479125777 edition is, and how offensive it is that such an important book by such a brilliant writer should appear in such a brazenly sloppy edition.
on October 13, 2010
This edition appears to be a Print-On-Demand situation where the publisher has had a computer perform a very bad spelling and grammatical check, making the experience of reading this classic quite annoying and inappropriately laughable.

(One example of many: "We saw a large door with assign above it. Brightly it illuminated (its memory still strikes me in my dreams): Arbeit Macht Frei." (p. 17)

Buy an edition where a publishing house has actually paid a HUMAN to copy edit and proofread the text. Even if it costs more. I wish I hadn't gone for the bargain on this one.
on March 21, 2012
This edition is a cheap OCR edition with frequent, deeply embarrassing typos and a faulty layout made by a machine rather than a typesetter (no human ever proofread this edition). Get the Touchstone edition instead for more or less the same price. It has a great introduction and--as a bonus--a conversation between Primo Levi and Philip Roth.
on September 14, 2012
The book I received was an unprofessional reproduction of Primo Levi's classic work (publisher: Classic House Books) - the book contained many spelling errors, improper formatting, and missing footnotes. I'd stay away from this publisher. (The book itself - the writing - is excellent and highly recommended).
VINE VOICEon March 12, 2006
There are reasons why it is difficult to review a book like this. First, it is a translation so it is hard to tell whether problems with prose belong to the author or the translator. Second, it is a Holocaust memoir which means criticizing it feels like criticizing the author's experiences. And yet, if we are going to do justice to any piece of writing, a reader has to be willing to be honest about his reactions to it. My reaction is simple: I think this is a good piece of writing but not a great one.

Despite it's brevity, I found this a very difficult book to get through. I wanted very much to be moved by Levi's experiences but it wasn't until the final section, "The Story of Ten Days," that I really felt emotion--that I connected to the author's fight for survival. Most of the time I felt detached because the writing felt very clinical to me. Unlike Elie Weisel's Night, for example, a memoir I've read many times, which grabs me from the first page and doesn't let go.

This is not to discount the horror of Auschwitz's nor Levi's obvious suffering. I guess it's just that, strange as it may sound, I want to be drawn into the author's horror and share his plight. I rarely had that feeling here. However, there is no doubt that this book offers a unique insight into the Auschwitz experience and cannot be discounted. Anyone interested in trying to understand the insanity that was the Holocaust needs to read it.