5.0 out of 5 stars Frontier Justice
Published 14 months ago by snoblind

3.0 out of 5 stars The Survivalist
It was like an exciting, gun shooting, killing bad guys Harlequin romance. All that the beautiful doctor needed to make her life complete was a strong gun toting man of mystery. She's now safe in the arms of her man. Sigh...
Even with that being said, I'm buying the next in the series because this book was a fun read.
Published 8 months ago by T L

5.0 out of 5 stars Frontier Justice, May 15, 2013
This review is from: The Survivalist (Frontier Justice) (Paperback)
Like many of the other reviewers I own and have read Dr. Bradley's non-fiction books. So I was very interested in seeing how his fiction would turn out. I was very impressed with the first effort. Like most preppers I am also a fan of PAW fiction and the first detail I noticed was that the book was professionally done and I don't recall noticing any typos. Both issues have been problematic in some books I have read.

I liked the book and recommend it. It was a fast read for me, the story flows well and I was quickly hooked. Arthur imparts some practical survival information without getting bogged down in detailed, drawn out explanations. The main plot line was resolved in the end, but with additional story lines introduced I look forward to additional books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 22, 2013
This review is from: The Survivalist (Frontier Justice) (Paperback)
I've always been a fan of fiction featuring the end of the world. It spurs the imagination of how it would be like to wander the wastelands scavenging for supplies while battling the evil hordes that remained. In the Survivalist, the main character is Marshal Mason Raines. Before the disaster he was a firearms instructor at Glynco, so you can expect that he's going to be involved in plenty of gunplay. Clearly the author is well versed on both guns and unarmed combat, as they are both featured extensively. That's not to say that the book is a series of mindless violent encounters. The plot is excellent, the dialogue felt real, and the story is downright funny in several places. The illustrations throughout the book are also very detailed. The book could be read as a stand-alone story, as everything wraps up rather cleanly in the end. But, there are so many possibilities left in play, that I really hope to see the next installment soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frontier Justice & Survivalism, May 4, 2013
This review is from: The Survivalist (Frontier Justice) (Paperback)
You're probably wondering what makes The Survivalist unique. The entertainment industry is constantly putting out books, television shows, and movies driven by apocalyptic scenarios, i.e. The Stand, Left Behind, Survivors, The Colony, The Walking Dead, the list goes on and on and on. So what makes this one different?

Arthur Bradley has already proven his technical expertise when it comes to disaster preparedness and survival--if you haven't checked out his nonfiction books, I highly recommend them--but this particular fictional account of a post-apocalyptic civilization puts all of these survival skills to work in an engaging and educational story. We're not only being entertained, we're following a skilled protagonist who is exercising legit survival skills that give the reader examples of when and how to utilize them.

The story is filled with colorful and layered characters, all of whom contribute to drive the plot forward, ending in just the right place to leave us hungry for a second installment. In addition, there are a couple of pretty cool illustrations to supplement the reading experience. I'm looking forward to following the series, and if you like to read about human beings struggling to survive when the odds are stacked against them, you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Novel for Preppers that Doesn't Read Like a Novel for Preppers, April 28, 2013
This review is from: The Survivalist (Frontier Justice) (Paperback)
As a prepper who loves to read, I'm familiar with many of the novels in the survivalist genre. Most are awful. Many rely on bizarre premises as their starting point. Some mysterious force suddenly slows the rate of combustion thereby rendering firearms and internal combustion engines useless. You're kidding right?? Or an EMP attack (possible) destroys every bit of electronics in the entire country (almost certainly not). In other cases the plot is contrived to allow the author to provide a shopping list of gear he thinks you need.

As a fan of Dr. Bradley's excellent non-fiction prepping guides, I had high hopes for his first work of fiction. I wasn't disappointed; The Survivalist - Frontier Justice is excellent. While the book does contain valuable suggestions for the prepper who's paying attention, they're presented more subtly than in most other books. Adding to the book's appeal, the basic premise (an engineered super-virus wipes-out most of humanity) is reasonable and the plot isn't at all contrived. It was nice to finally be able to read a survivalist book without shouting out "That's BS!" every 30 pages. In fact I can give the book my highest possible praise: this is the first prepping-related book I can suggest my non-prepper wife read without fear of retribution :-}. The book is good enough that I think it can stand on its own without relying on its appeal to preppers. The one downside is that I read the book pretty much straight though so I'm probably going to have to wait a while to get another dose. Please hurry-up with the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars ~~Off to Boone for Hope~~, October 26, 2013
Deputy US Marshal Mason Raines picks the opportune time for a 3 week vacation at the family log cabin.. Imagine his surprise to learn that civilization (as he knew it) had dissipated into bedlam during his absence. A mystery at first for him when he hits the road heading towards Boone - crashed cars, suicides, and complete disarray on the highways.

Thank God, that Mason has the refuge of his cabin. His family's cabin is stocked with a year's supply of food, a huge water tank and weapons to assist him. And, his trusty ham radio in the attic! (A note I shouldn't put in here but I will - my dad was one of the first ham operators in Vermont so I have to remember his love of that community).

He learns through contact on the ham radio that the US has suffered a terrorist attack from within - biological, in nature - called the Superpox-99. And, 99% of the infected die within 2 weeks with no antidote available. With his knowledge, he finally heads to Boone to learn what has occurred in that community.

The President has signed an Executive Order to release convicts which may affect Mason's father imprisoned in Talladega for manslaughter. Is he going to be able to get out alive? And, where is the President's daughter, Samantha? Alive or dead? This is an incredible part of this story.

A couple of quotes I loved from this book -Father Paul - "I am often reminded that things are connected like the strands of a spider web". And, Mason : "Life was easiest when viewed in black and white, right and wrong". Both are intense glimpses into human nature. And, the humor that Don exhibited with his prosthetic leg - priceless.

The survival techniques mentioned in this book excellent -- from the amount of time canned goods will last to a 2 KW inverter - all are excellent.

Last but not least, I absolutely love the 140 # Irish Wolfhound, Bowie, that Mason rescued. The showdown at the Church of Fallen Saints is a turning point for the town of Boone. Love on the horizon?

Just an absolute gripping novel to read. From start to finish, a lot to absorb but the pages turn ever so quickly!

Most highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable while educational, May 14, 2013
This review is from: The Survivalist (Frontier Justice) (Paperback)
I am a recent convert to thinking about disaster preparedness and I bought all of Dr. Bradley's books. After peeking at the others I started to read this one and like other reviewers I was quickly hooked. My intent as I started to read it was to pick up tips for surviving a disaster. Although I continued to read it with that goal in mind, I quickly transitioned into reading it for enjoyment. The pandemic scenario that is the basis of the book is very real. The character and plot development were so good that I was sad to finish the book. My only complaint is that the book was too short and one of the major plot lines was not brought to a clean break point before the book ended. That said, I highly recommend the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!, October 27, 2013
I was a little apprehensive to to buy this because I usually don't spend more than two dollars on a Kindle book from relatively unknown authors, or known authors who are writing outside of their usual genre, and the handful of negative reviews.

Boy, am I glad I gave it a try! It was very well written, with an excellent story line. The characters are well developed and overall believable, the story is certainly plausible, and it wasn't too dumbed down (many ebook authors seem to write at a jr high level.)

There were a few details that made me cringe a little, are weren't what would likely have occurred based on the protagonists training and experience; but, coming from a military and law enforcement background, I'm probably a little more picky about certain things.

But overall, this book was a great way to spend a couple of evenings by the fireplace. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in apocalypse/end of world type books. Just downloaded the second one and can't wait to start it!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Survivalist, November 11, 2013
T L (Las Vegas) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the time, April 6, 2014
BulletProof (Grants Pass, OR) - See all my reviews
I generally hate leaving 1 or 2 star reviews... but this must be done. I'm not sure how this book has received so many 5 star reviews. This is not a book deserving of any TEOTWAWKI attention. If you are a fan of John O'brien, Craig DiLouie, Stephen Mcknight, Jack Lee or any author of that style of read, this is not for you.

There is absolutely zero character development in this book. The story itself is cheesy, unrealistic (in character dialogue) and forced. The main character is kind of a combination of Chuck Norris, John Wayne and Neo (from the Matrix). You most certainly won't win a gun fight with this guy since he can shoot 3 men in under a second.

A ridiculous love at first sight story evolves in the span of a couple pages when our superhero meets the town Dr. Well, to be fair, everyone who meets Marshall Chuck Wayne Neo falls in love with him. Who wouldn't! The ZA won't last long with this guy on the job.

The worst is the writing style. The character names are often used multiple times in a paragraph. "Marshall Raines says this, Marshall Raines does this, then Marshall Raines smiles." Usually when reading a good book, you'll know who he or she is without specifically pointing out the individual names as it gets repetitive.

I'm sure the Bradley fan club will hate this review (after looking at many of the reviewers, some have only read and reviewed only his books). I see this guy is a prepper and survivalist of some sort, (hopefully not like one of the History channel preppers who shoot their thumbs off), and he is probably good at his NASA job, but I am shocked at the 5 star book following. This book reads as if written by a teenager.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, October 28, 2013
Solid read with a great plot. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this series. I would recommend this book

The Survivalist (Frontier Justice)
The Survivalist (Frontier Justice) by Arthur Bradley (Paperback - April 18, 2013)
$12.95 $11.66