5.0 out of 5 stars Need practical help as a caregiver-here is the book for you
Published 8 days ago by Ann Eichenberger

3.0 out of 5 stars OK....But.....
This is not the kind of book you sit down and read from beginning to end. Being a caregiver for my husband, there are times when I need advise about certain things and in this book there is no Index for quick reference. There is a Table of Contents but of course it is not in alphabetical order. It is somewhat difficult to read for my elderly eyes. Others have...
Published 9 months ago by Lynn Lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Need practical help as a caregiver-here is the book for you, January 21, 2015
Ann Eichenberger (washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surviving Alzheimer's: Practical tips and soul-saving wisdom for caregivers (Paperback)
I own and operate a dementia care business in NW Washington DC. This recently published book is every bit as good, if not better, than "The 36 Hour Day," long considered the Bible on dementia care. This book is better organized and contains more detailed steps for area that often cause caregivers real problems, such as bathing. It is well research and written in a clear, easy to ready style. This is my new hand out for my clients. Thank you for writing this practical book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't imagine a more helpful book for Alzheimer's caregivers, December 13, 2013
This isn't a typical self-help book. Paula Spencer Scott has managed to combine big-picture insight from big-name experts in the field of Alzheimer's with practical, everyday, nitty-gritty advice on a huge variety of situations that the average Alzheimer's caregiver will come across. That advice isn't just for the big issues, but also for issues like refusing to change clothes or repetitive phone calls. The table of contents makes it easy to go directly to an appropriate section.

Perhaps even more helpfully, Scott includes a section on Personal and Family Stressors. It's not just the normal self-care advice, as helpful as that might be. This includes advice on issues like dealing with family denial of an Alzheimer's diagnosis and how to deal with feelings of guilt or anger.

Scott covers all of this with a warm, friendly, helpful tone - like calling one's best friend who has happened to deal with all these situations herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for dark days, March 20, 2014
My dad suffers from dementia, and my family is struggling in this devastating disease's wake. This book was exactly what we (my three sisters and I) needed as a guide through these hard, hard days. Dividing the book into quick reference sections was a great idea, and advice on dealing with guilty feelings, anger, and frustration was so, so helpful. Paula, we are grateful you've shared your experiences and research with us. You have made a difference in our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Fantastic, Wonderful, Too Many to Mention, July 31, 2014
If you are a caregiver to a loved one who is afflicted with Alzheimer's, dementia, or any form of cognitive impairment I highly recommend this book. Being a caregiver I can attest to the importance of the statement, "Knowledge is power in the fight against memory loss and Alzheimer's Disease." That being said I admit to reading many books available and being very disappointed. I found them to be too clinical, usually neglecting chapters, a boring read. I could not put down Paula Spencer Scott's Surviving Alzheimer's and had no desire to skip any chapters. Her book provides you with excellent advice, helpful hints, options in dealing with concerns. The format is an interesting one, so easy to follow and understand. This book is worthy of recommending and sharing, yet a keeper for the caregiver, one that is needed, to be turned to while on the journey. It will become a different kind of the perfect first aid manual that you've had forever. It's evident that Paula Spencer Scott cares about everyone. Treat yourself to this book, make it a part of taking care of you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book! Really answers alot of important questions!!, March 19, 2014
This is just the book I needed!!! My mom has Alzheimer's and its hard to make decisions on everything. I haven't finished the book yet, almost half way, but I see so many things that apply to my situation with Mom. The book has already answered a lot of the questions I have had. I knew nothing about this disease until my Mom....I was lost and didn't know where to find help. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO EVERYONE!!!!! I really think this book will turn out to be the best tool I will need in our struggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for caregivers, February 17, 2014
When you care for someone with this disease, you are very often simply surviving. Paula Spencer Scott helps us figure out how to thrive in situations beyond our wildest imaginations. Her practical advice along with the experts helps us navigate our way through the variations of this disease. Thank you for providing this resource about a topic many wish to ignore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable!!!, December 15, 2013
Paula Spencer Scott really shares wonderful insight and practical tips on handling this difficult topic! This book is a must for anyone who is caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to Ms. Scott, January 25, 2014
Wish I had the opportunity to read this book earlier; it would have made my journey as a caregiver easier! My husband is now in Asst. Living at Westminster community in Bradenton, Fl. Just wish advice had been included on making decision to move loved one to "locked" environment! And living with decision, once it is made!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, indeed!, June 2, 2014
Patrice Etter (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I can't tell you how many times I read through this guide and thought, "that's Dad." Or, "what a great idea for ...." While my siblings and I had Mom and each other (not to mention some pretty awesome caregivers), it was hard to know what to expect or what to do as we watched Dad's capacity decline. Nobody is a "typical Alzheimer's patient" but there are some striking similarities that help you realize that others have been down this road. The author offers wonderfully practical advice that helped us weather Dad's illness and gave us confidence to make some difficult decisions. As we neared the end, her wisdom gave us the courage to let go. I highly recommend this book for families who are newly confronting Alzheimer's but also for those have been dealing with it for a while. "Soul-saving" is an apt description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best reference for what to do, April 6, 2014
This book is in 4 Parts. One can skip Parts 1,3,4 if you are a caregiver in need of common sense ideas to deal with the issues you will encounter during your tenure. Jump to Part 2 and get it in a really immediately useful format. I have been involved in care-giving for over 12 years and read most everything printed on subject of AD. My caregiver group takes my recommendations pretty seriously and I noted several attendees begin to enter order in on their smartphones after I discussed it. One week later at next meeting I got positive feedback as to value of book to them. Try 2 then go back to remaining parts especially 3,as time is available.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Surviving Alzheimer's: Practical tips and soul-saving wisdom for caregivers
Surviving Alzheimer's: Practical tips and soul-saving wisdom for caregivers by Paula Spencer Scott (Paperback - January 5, 2014)
$13.99 $12.59