Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on October 24, 2010
Last year The History Channel aired this special during the holiday season. I never laughed so hard. Lewis Black is one of the smartest, funniest comics around today and his take on the horrors of the holidays is delightfully crazy and all too true. No one is safe. If you don't recognize your own family or yourself in this hilarious truth telling, you are missing a funny bone. This is 94 minutes of Holiday Snark at its best. Thank you, Lewis!
on January 28, 2011
This was not what I expected. I am a true fan of Lewis Black but, there was an assortment of other comedians who contributed to the DVD and not the usual Lewis Black rants. I was disappointed.
on January 1, 2011
Before buying this as a Christmas gift for my wife, I read several negative reader's comments. We're both big Lewis Black fans though, so I thought aw, heck - how bad can it be. Well, pretty bad from where I stand. The issue is that it's mostly not Lewis Black. It's a whole bunch of other people - some famous, some less so - talking about a variety of holiday events. It's only narrated by Lewis Black, who gets in just a few lines of his own on the whole DVD.
My wife said she still enjoyed it, but for me, it wasn't what I thought I was buying.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2012
What a HUGE let down! I love Lewis Black's standup routines but if you're buying this thinking that's what you're getting, buyer beware! I have to be honest and say I did not watch the entire dvd. After about 20 minutes listening to a few one liners from Lewis Black but mainly other comedian's short and supposedly funny gags as to why they don't like Thanksgiving, I cut my losses and took the disc out of the player. If I got even one chuckle from it, it was one too many. Is was not a live performance, just snipets of one liners that were not even worth a grin. Why Lewis Black agreed to make this sorry attempt at poking fun at the holidays is well beyond me. He is a comedic genius and this doesn't come close to doing him justice. I bought this because it is PG rated and I thought it would be appropriate to watch with my elderly mother. That much was correct. No profanity or sex jokes but unfortunately no humor either. My advice is that if you like Lewis Black, try any of his other live standup routines on dvd and steer clear of this. I can't think of another dvd I purchased from Amazon where I wish I could get my money back like this one.
on December 29, 2010
I am a fan of Lewis Black's stand-up comedy, so was happy to receive this as a Christmas present. I got about 30 minutes into the DVD when I realized that I hadn't laughed once, hadn't chuckled, and hadn't even cracked a smile.
Lewis Black's stand-up comedy is hilarious. But this DVD isn't Lewis Black's comedy.
He's interviewing other comedians, then he forces a laugh at their not-very-funny responses.
This DVD was very poor...
on December 19, 2011
I realize this is not typical Lewis Black material on many levels, but it is also very much a Lewis Black gem. It's different, hysterically funny, dark, sarcastic and intelligent - everything you would expect from Lewis Black.

Several reviewers were upset this was unlike seeing or watching Lewis Black and his typical ranting, but in that is the beauty of this crazy creation. Yes, you see a lot of people you may or may not know and yes, it's not all about Lewis Black. However, it IS all about ALL of us.

I laughed from beginning to end. I saw myself and literally anyone and everyone I have ever known in it. We as a whole are not a perfect society and this piece makes light of the insanity we have ALL witnessed.
on December 9, 2011
First off... this is NOT a stand up routine show, so if that's what you're looking for, keep looking. This is a hilarious look at the holidays and why we put ourselves through it all year after year. The best part is the project is from the History Channel, so in addition to laughing at all the great stories, you get some of the history as to how the holidays evolved into what they are today. It's truly entertaining. We saw it for the first time last year, and it's already a new holiday tradition. I've watched it twice this year already.
on January 2, 2015
Pathetic. Too bad somebody didn't instruct the mass of stand ups recruited for this turkey, "Be funny." Nobody is, although most of them laugh heartily at their own lame remarks. I bought this on the basis of a trailer I saw featuring the sublime Sarah Vowell and a wicked retelling of the first Thanksgiving with Squanto. Apparently that was the only thing worth watching. I couldn't even make it halfway through this mess before turning it off and seeing what was on Netflix.
on December 20, 2013
This is mild compared to Black's other productions. But then, I expected it. A lot of other comedians grace this production. The humor is fairly mild. Not hilarious or boisterous or vulgar. A nice change of pace for putting a smile on your face but not ripping your gut with laughter. It's a "gotta have" for the Lewis Black collector.
on January 18, 2011
I saw this show on the History channel in Dec 2009 and thought it was so funny and something that I would enjoy seeing each year. However, the History channel didn't air it in Dec 2010 and I knew I just had to see it again, so I ordered it from If you like those "I love the 70's" shows, etc. you will like this.