on March 4, 2004
Format: Paperback
This incredible book, Surviving Saturn's Return, is one the best Astrology books ever written. (With all due respect to Sidney Omarr). Sherene and Stefanie have hit on one of the biggest secrets in Astrology and uncovered it in the most sincere way- This book should get 100 stars- not just 5.
Stefanie and Sherene write in a way that speaks to you - not at you. Truthful and direct, but not harsh, and with a large dose of hope for the future. And as they explain to you who Mr. SAturn is and take you on his roller-coaster journey through each sign, they travel WITH you -almost like they are there in person, speaking directly to you. Their refreshing theory on Saturn and his Return ANSWERS SO MANY questions that many other books on Astrology leave out. You begin to understand why you may be going through continous crisis and start to put pieces of your life puzzle together.
"Surviving Saturns Return" is FOR and applies to ALL women who have had a continous crisis or obstacles thoughout their life -not just women who are turning thirty or near the big 3-0.
Sherene and Stefanie have truly charted and uncovered previously little known and little explored territory with their detailed analysis of Saturn and his Return.
In addition, their website WWW.Saturnsreturn.net is a complementary support tool that stands well on it's own. A GREAT website to go to and explore.
But get the book AND visit the website to get the full blown effect.
on January 29, 2004
Format: Paperback
I can't believe I've never heard this term before. I am totally at ease about turning 30 now that I understand it. The authors of this book know how it feels to be bombarded with the everyday thoughts of getting older, but their totally rich and hip explanations and advice put it all in perspective. Thanks to this book, I'm a Saturn follower now and am prepared to leave my twenties.
on September 23, 2004
Format: Paperback
This book came to me at the perfect time, like a gift from the gods. My life was breaking apart and I couldn't figure out why everything seemed to be happening at the same time. A friend told me that I was in my Saturn Return, and I had no idea what she was talking about. But I googled it and found this book (and the author's website) and the chapter that pertains to me is DEAD ON. They talk about different issues that come up for women about to turn thirty, with respect to their date of birth. I never thought that this stuff was valid before. But it was really uncanny how exactly what they wrote was happening to me. (And how these have been life-long issues for me.) Also, the writing is really down to earth and it's full of really useful information. The reviwer "Satire" is way off. It's not syrupy at all. It's funny, actually, and chatty, like an Oprah show. I haven't read a lot of astrology books, but this is by far the best one I've ever read.
on February 25, 2004
Format: Paperback
I am presently 29 and going through my Saturn Return. I've always thought of astrology as entertainment and not as a tool that could actually help me to understand the fluctuations of my mood, feelings, behavior or the world around me. This book has put everything in perspective for me. Whether or not you buy into astrology, if you're turning 30 and you feel like your life is in chaos, you'll find solace here, and a planetary basis to support it. The writing style's quick and witty and the writers are clearly experts in what they preach. Highly recommended.
on February 26, 2004
Format: Paperback
I just read "Surviving Saturn's Return" and I can't believe how much it helped put the last year in perspective. I only wish I'd read it before I had to live it! I didn't even believe in astrology before I read this book, but everyone I know has reported the same sort of turmoil in the year before turning thirty, so I thought it might help. It's a really great and useful read--highly recommended.
on May 7, 2014
Format: Paperback
First of all, a bit of a disclaimer. I've been studying astrology for almost 25 years, and by "studying" I mean actually taking courses and practicing it, not just buying books and being self-taught. In that time, I've had to sift through hundreds of bad astrology books, in order to find (and keep) the few dozens that are actual important astrology tools.

That said, it's no wonder that most of the people in the scientific community, and most skeptics in general, laugh at astrology to this day, afterall, unlike medicine or law (which have their bad practitioners, nonetheless), astrologers don't need a license to practice, let alone to write books on the matter, and books like this are the kind that feeds the bad image of astrology.

By my rating, and the above two paragraphs, you've probably guessed where this is going, but this wouldn't be a review if I just stated this is bad book and left it at that, so allow me to elaborate.

The most staggering problem is that the authors make little to no distinction between "planet", "house" or "sign". Like most (if not all) sun-sign astrologers (aka: pseudo-astrologers), they simply assume it's all variations of the same theme. Well, they're not. As any (proper) professional astrologer will tell you, planets represent the "what", signs represent the "how", and houses represent the "where".

Now observe this quote from this book's first chapter ("Persona") on Saturn in Aries and the First House (yes, it's all treated as the same thing):

QUOTE --- "The energy of Saturn and the energy of Aries are really at odds with one another. Saturn tells you to sit down and calculate, to measure, to take it slow. Aries tells you to charge off into the wilderness, screaming all of your desires to the wind, or to anyone within listening distance."

If you haven't spotted the problem, let me try to help. To use an analogy with language and grammar, imagine planets are "nouns" (the "what") and signs are "adjectives" and "verbs" (the "how"). Well, the above quote would be similar to describing a "wooden chair" like this: "the Chair is there for you to sit down and calculate while the Wooden is there for you to run and scream."

See how awkward that sounds? That's how most of this book sounds to a trained astrologer.

Every section of the book literally combines House placement and Sign placement. This is an extreme mistake in any form of astrological work. To give you an example, if Saturn is placed in the 7th house, it affects your way to deal with others, but it's completely different if it's in Libra (the "how"), where one should look for themes of sharing and social issues, or in Scorpio, where themes of manipulation and deep psychological issues are more likely candidates.

Keep in mind this is "astrology 101". Absolutely no one (not even an amateur, let alone a "professional") can begin to make a decent interpretation, even in basic terms, if they don't know what the items on a chart represent, yet, the authors are clearly clueless of this. Then again, they are aware of their lack of accuracy, as can be seen by their preemptive defense on page 21:

QUOTE --- "You might relate to some sections as if we snuck into your brain and stole your story. On the other hand, some sections could feel a little foreign. That's the big Saturn caveat. (It's the caveat for all astrology, actually.) Don't get mad at us if it's not all absolutely, unequivocally, true. Some stuff will be foreign, and some will be freakishly familiar".

As skeptics (or anti-astrology fanatics) would say, "it's guesswork, then".

Anyway, the second issue with this book is the authors apparent feminist agenda. Don't get me wrong, rational feminism can be a great empowering thing, in the right forums, but extreme feminism is a form of sexism against men and, frankly, it's just uncalled for in a book of this nature. The authors openly admit the book is aimed at women because they "believe" women experience things differently. Even if that was true, it's no reason to ignore the effects of Saturn on a man's chart, now is it? Don't the women who buy this book have sons, a father, a husband/boyfriend, a brother, or male friends? Think about it.

The truth is, though, if the authors had studied astrology properly they'd know that everyone has both "male" and "female" characteristics. Look at your chart. See that Moon and that Venus? That's your feminine side, even if you were born as a male. See that Sun and that Mars? That's your masculine side, even if you were born a woman. There are cultural, social and, of course, genetic reasons why we gravitate towards certain archetypical roles, but studying any form of social science (at university level, mind you) and several years of practicing astrology will show you how "feminine" some men are, or how "masculine" some women are. Think "Kim Petras" next time you discuss human gender experiences.

Another issue with this book is that, despite the title, most of its content is about Saturn in general, rather than the event of Saturn's Return as one would expect. The authors try to convince the reader that they're doing something unique with this book, but they never deliver. In fact, you might as well get a book on astrological aspects - for instance, Robert Hand's "Planets in Transit" - where you can combine the information of Saturn Conjunct Saturn (basically, the definition of a Solar Return), as well as all other Saturn aspects (for a view of the whole cycle) with the paragraphs on Saturn in House and so on.

There are other minor niggles with the book, but they pale in comparison, and I don't want to make this review any longer than it already is. Suffice to say this book is a disappointment to anyone who takes astrology seriously. You're not missing out by giving this one a pass.
on December 28, 2006
Format: Paperback
I'd never heard of the "Saturn Return" before a friend gave me a copy of the author's other book, Fate of Your Date. A coupla months ago I'd just gotten out of a very, very bad relationship (thank god) and she wanted to lighten my load with a fun little guide to dating. But then I read up on the authors other projects on their website (Ivillage show, Elle magazine, etc.) and joined their Myspace page. Little did I know that I'd found the answer to all my suffering and angst over the past year. I turned 29 in October, and I'm right in the heart of my Saturn Return. Thank god for the Saturn Sisters and this empowering, life-affirming book. It explains why turning thirty isn't the end of the world, shows exactly how your birthday reveals your current experiences, and basically maps out your karma. It's totally all about knowing you're going thruogh the Saturn Return before you actually do. I have gotten the book for all my friends between 28 and 31, and everyone is relieved to know that they're not going crazy, they're just going through their Saturn Return.
on January 17, 2004
Format: Paperback
This book is a fun, witty, informative and contemporary read. It helped me understand the mystery behind the mania of turning thirty. I can't imagine making this transition alone!
on February 27, 2004
Format: Paperback
Oh I really needed this book a few years ago! The authors are straight talkers-who explain (with a good dose of humor) why your life seems to suddenly go out of whack, and more importantly how to deal with it. I keep going back to the book--not only for the straighforward helpful advice, but I love the humor, the examples that they use..well everything. I heartily reccomend this book. Wonderful--even if you get a bit confused about astrology like I do.
on August 6, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I like it very much, however, it focused more in the first Saturn and not in the Returning of Saturn, I was hoping that it would discuss a bit more regarding the Return of Second Saturn, but it was an excellent book. Thank you